S/. 3.344 pen

Becoming a Peruvian Citizen Through Marriage

If you’re married to a Peruvian, it is possible and not too complicated for you to obtain a Peruvian citizenship. There are several reasons why you might want to do this; the most common seems to be the ease of travel when passing through Peruvian immigrations. However, for many expats that have made Peru their permanent home, there is also a desire to be a full fledged member of the society, and to have the ability to vote.
One thing you’ll want to check before you apply for citizenship is whether or not your home country permits dual citizenship. For citizens of many countries, this isn’t a problem. If you do have dual citizen ship, you’ll use your Peruvian passport when passing in and out of Peru, and your passport from your home country when entering or leaving that country.
Following are the requirements for applying for Peruvian citizenship through marriage:

  • Form F-006 (download here or get one free from the immigration offices)
  • Receipt for payment to the Banco de la Nacion for the right to apply – S/.113.40
  • A letter of solicitud, asking that they consider your request for citizenship, following the model on the DIGEMIN website:  Sample Letter Here
  • A recent (no older than 30 days) copy of your acta de matrimonio (marriage certificate), registered in RENIEC, showing that you’ve been married at least 2 years
  • If you got married in a foreign country you will need your acta de matrimonio (marriage certificate, no older than 90 days) . This acta has to be register in the oficina consular (consular office)of  Peru in your country and it needs to be legalized by the Misnisterio de Realciones Exteriores. If you didn´t register your acta on time, you have 90 days after arriving in Peru and this has to be done in the municipality where settle.
  • Photocopy of your carnet de extranjeria, showing that you’ve been a legal resident for 2 years.
  • Acta de nacimiento (Birth Certificate) of your Peruvian spouse (in the case that the spouse is Peruvian through naturalization, you can provide a copy of their corresponding naturalization papers, called a Titulo del Registro)
  • A photocopy of the Peruvian spouse’s DNI
  • declaracion (swearing) of cohabitation and a carta de garantia (guarantee letter) signed by your Peruvian spouse, based on  the DIGEMIN model , this letter has to be legalized by a notary.
  • A ficha de Canje Internacional issued by the INTERPOL.
  • A simple sworn statement stating your address, that you are of good health and have no criminal convictions: Sample Letter Here
  • A devolucion del carnet de extranjeria (return of the foreign resident registration card,up to date) or a document that proves your residence at the time of your registration.
  • Documents that prove your family income
  • Written evaluation and a personal interview 

The process usually takes from 2 weeks to a month. You’ll receive your naturalization papers, called your Titulo de Registro. When it’s ready, you’ll have to sign the register, and pay a 35 soles fee. At that time, it will be required to hand over your Carnet de Extranjeria – but it won’t matter, because you won’t need it anymore, you can now use your Titulo to receive a DNI and a Peruvian passport. Congratulations, you’re Peruvian!

take Spanish clases online