Divorced in Canada Finalized - Divorce in Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

mrpeets

Divorced in Canada Finalized - Divorce in Peru?

Postby mrpeets » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm

I am Canadian and I got married to a Peruvian in Peru in 2008. She immigrated to Canada and in 2011 we got a legal divorce in Canada. We both have legal divorce certificates from Canada and according to Canadian law are free to remarry.

She is remarried in Canada since 2016 and is currently living in Canada. My ex-wife wants to finalize our divorce in Peru. Can she get the divorce certificate notarized and translated and use the document as proof of divorce and have her lawyer look after the rest?

I have since remarried. Since I don't have any connection to Peru and have nothing to do with her, can she handle this on her own or do I need to get involved as well?

At this point I have no reason to get involved so if I refuse to do it, can she get the divorce finalized in Peru without my involvement?

Thanks,

Mike

ROMA1990

Re: Divorced in Canada Finalized - Divorce in Peru?

Postby ROMA1990 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 am

There are something wrong for both, first you married in Peru but seems like your canadian divorced was not make by both consulates we call them exequatur, both of you still married under the peruvian law. She can get the divorce in her own but will take 5 to 6 years to finished the divorce, is better if both come to a clean agreement no money and properties envolment and sign a simple annulment in the municipality, take 7 months. But for sure call your lawyer.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register