Requirements for an American, marrying his Peruvian fiancee

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Doc_Boogie

Requirements for an American, marrying his Peruvian fiancee

Postby Doc_Boogie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi.
I am 62 and my Peruvian fiancee is 60. Her job is transporting kids to and from school, so when the schools were out for the summer,
she came to my home in Jacksonville, FL for 2 months. Kind of a trial run to see if we wanted to go thru with the Fiancee or Spouse visa
process. It was a definite yes! We've decided to get married in her hometown of Lima, when I fly there in May to meet her family and friends.
We then will file for the Cr-1 visa. (Any opinions on that one, as opposed to the Fiancee visa?)
Anyway, she speaks very little English, but she is taking classes. I took 4 years of Spanish a hundred years ago, and am taking online courses,
refreshing my memory. We use Google translator a lot, but man, 1/2 the translations SUCK. So, when I'm trying to find out information from
her about what is required of me when we get married at the Municipalidad de Santiago de Surco, I am not confident in her answers.
She keeps saying something about I need to do a power of attorney, so she can continue with her forms in the US embassy there in Lima. When I go to the Municipality there online, and try to print things out, it comes out in Spanish, or I can't print them at all. When I called the Peruvian consulate in Miami, the guy didn't speak English, and when I pressed for another person, he hung up on me! Then, I tried the consulate in Tampa, and the woman there spoke a little english, but not enough to really help me.
Can anyone give me some tips? We have 3 months to get all of this figured out. Sounds like enough time, but man, there is LOTS to do!
HELP!!
Michael

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Requirements for an American, marrying his Peruvian fiancee

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 am

Check out the visajourney website.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Here are the most common reasons for denial:
Here are 25 things that can get you denied:
Missing required documents
Missing supporting evidence
Incorrect paperwork or forms
Missing signatures on forms
Outdated forms
Have not physically met in person within the last two years of filing
Not legally able to marry – still married or not divorced
No proof of bona fide or legitimate relationship
Unable to prove intent to marry
Incorrect or missing translation documents
Insufficient income/assets of the U.S. citizen sponsor
Very large age difference between the couple
Did not adhere to cultural norms i.e. did not have an engagement ceremony when this is customary for the local culture.
Minimal communication or contact in the previous year, the couple have not seen each other for an extended period after filing I-129F K1 visa application
Communication barrier where neither partner speaks the other language; poor English skills
Partner with a minor child is unable to obtain legal custody
Lack proof of day to day contact/communication
Beneficiary at the visa interview does poorly and consular officer doubts there is a bona fide relationship to the U.S. citizen
The U.S. citizen petitioner has filed for another foreign citizen in the past
Criminal record (Call us)
Medical condition or disease (such as communicable diseases)
Fiancé misrepresents a fact or error at the visa interview
Fiancé presents a document that appears to be fraudulent
Fiancé has previously lived in the U.S. and overstayed the visa
Fiancé provides fake or Photoshopped photos or other fraudulent evidence
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:38 pm

You do not mention if you are working and will your employer provide spousal health insurance? How many times have you visited Peru and how much time have you spent together here? Is your income enough to support the two of you according to the guidelines? If your visa is denied are you able and prepared to move to Peru. I was unable to get my wife a visa 15 years ago and have been living here ever since. We will be going through the process again in another year. I was 28 years older then my wife at the time so I understood why I was denied.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Also, your fiance has no reason to be dealing with the US embassy at this point and a power of attorney is not needed for anything. Sounds like a "Red Flag" to me. If you guys just met over the internet, be very very careful about getting married and be familiar with the laws here in Peru.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 pm

K1 vs CR1

If she came to visit you in Jax then I assume she had a visitor visa so it would be best to marry in Peru then apply for a spousal visa because doing a fiancee visa right after visiting on a visitor visa would send up a major league red flag.
Large and in charge!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Listen to Big Daddy, he has always provided accurate & useful info for me.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 pm

You need to get a original copy of your birth certificate. If you were born in Florida, you send it to the Peruvian consulate in Miami. They have to authenticate it. If you were born in another area you have to send it to the consulate closest to your state of birth. I am a a Hoosier. After I sent mine to Miami, they returned it and told me to send it to Chicago. Your girlfriend should go to the mayors office and ask them specifically what they want for a civil wedding. She should make contact with the officiating person. This is all on her, and she should understand the process. There is no way YOU can figure out what the person who will marry you, in what ever district she lives in in Lima wants. But they will need a authenticate copy of your birth certificate. When you call the Peruvian consulate, ask them how to get a birth certificate authenticated. If you go on about getting married they can't help you. Every district will want something else. From my perspective, all I needed was that birth certificate. My wife handled the rest. Your girlfriend should be finding out what to do in HER country. You got your work cut out for her with the US Visa..

Now getting her here, that is a whole different problem. Like some one said go to www.visajourney.com. I did it myself without paying some one the about $4 to $7k. It was not easy, but I got it done. Good luck.
atpe

Postby atpe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:36 am

captcosmic wrote:You need to get a original copy of your birth certificate. If you were born in Florida, you send it to the Peruvian consulate in Miami. They have to authenticate it. If you were born in another area you have to send it to the consulate closest to your state of birth. I am a a Hoosier. After I sent mine to Miami, they returned it and told me to send it to Chicago. Your girlfriend should go to the mayors office and ask them specifically what they want for a civil wedding. She should make contact with the officiating person. This is all on her, and she should understand the process. There is no way YOU can figure out what the person who will marry you, in what ever district she lives in in Lima wants. But they will need a authenticate copy of your birth certificate. When you call the Peruvian consulate, ask them how to get a birth certificate authenticated. If you go on about getting married they can't help you. Every district will want something else. From my perspective, all I needed was that birth certificate. My wife handled the rest. Your girlfriend should be finding out what to do in HER country. You got your work cut out for her with the US Visa..

Now getting her here, that is a whole different problem. Like some one said go to http://www.visajourney.com. I did it myself without paying some one the about $4 to $7k. It was not easy, but I got it done. Good luck.

this is very useful information
pritisinghip

Postby pritisinghip » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:46 am

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. You can learn more about fiancé(e) visas on usvisas.state.gov.
eugene.in.peru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 am

well i live in surco too, 46 & benavides. nice area. but not too much to do. there was one word that was an answer to all your questions, visajourney..dot com.but if you are too lazy to read it all here you go:
my suggestion is to either apply for carnet extranjeria, as a pensioner, given that you retired already in FL. Then marry, it shouldn't be too hard, they will give you a list of papers to bring, municipilidad will give that to you. Then once she is your wife and you are a proud owner of carnet, go to US embassy and request, using a form, for her to be admitted as a wife of citizen to US, i think its the spouse visa form, not the k1, then she gets green card without hassle or wait.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register