Is this legal?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is this legal?

Postby woodchuck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am

I recently returned from three (3) months in the US.
Before I traveled, I withdrew most of my money from my dollar & soles account at BCP.
The soles were for my Peruvian wife & the dollars so I had some cash money in my travels.
I do have American credit cards, but wasn't sure if a US ATM or US merchant would accept my BCP dollar card.
When I returned, both my accounts had been closed & I lost what money was in there (not a lot).
Is this legal?
Has this happened to other expats?

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is this legal?

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Never lost any money, but have had accounts closed for lack of use. I have been told they would be reopened if a deposit was made but never tried that.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Woodchuck, what reason were you given?
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Three months sounds rather quick to close an account for not using. I am sure there is another reason or some misunderstanding.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Depending on the Bank, they usually close the bank-account if you do not have enough money to pay the maintenance fee
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am

BCP told me my accounts were closed due to not being active for three (3) months.
I asked about the money (small amount) that was in both accounts; BCP told me it was forfeited.
Using my cards, they searched the computer records & nothing was found.
It is like these two accounts never existed, but I had the cards to prove they did.
Don't expect consumer protection agencies to help you out - especially when dealing with a huge company BCP.

PS - still pisses me off when I filed a complaint against a prominent-family dentist & the INDECOPI interviewer allowed him to threaten me "I'll cut yout throat (also with a motion with his hand across his throat)"; the interviewer never said a things! We expats are not in Kansas anymore! Be careful!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register