How is Lima these days?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Lima maybe

How is Lima these days?

Postby Lima maybe » Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 pm

I've been to Peru several times, the most recent visit was over 7 years ago. I've been told that as of late many Venezuelans have come to Lima looking for better then they have at home and that things in and around Lime have gotten bad as compared with several years back.

I've been told that Mia Flores is still on the safer side of life but even places like San Isidro have gone down a few notches. Any help or insight you can give would be a great help, we're planning on coming next Jan, some of us for only 10 days others in our family will stay a month or more as long as it's still safe.

Just need advanced info so when we book flights we have an idea of dates. Most members speak Spanish well, so it's just a matter of safety.

Thanks

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How is Lima these days?

Postby Alan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I suppose it depends on who you have been speaking to. Maybe they have had some bad experiences. Overall though, I think things are pretty much the same crime wise, but costs have risen (especially education and housing) and traffic is worse. Miraflores has become much more developed and has lost some the charm as many old homes have been demolished and replaced by generic, seven-story apartment buildings. But, along with that, you´ll find a lot of new restaurants, pubs and stores. There are bike routes now, and public transit has been somewhat organized. Many taxi fleets have been renewed and you can Uber around to your hearts content.
Lima maybe

Postby Lima maybe » Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Alan, thanks for the update. A few people I know that had lived in Lima more recently since my last visit had said crime is worse and eluded to it not being safe in the other districts like Borranco. I'm always reluctant to take the word of a person not actually on the ground, so I thought I'd check.

I'll scan the pages here but if anyone would like to summarize things since PPK got the boot and how you think the next election might turn out, I'd enjoy the input.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am

Hello LimaMaybe,

Lima has changed a lot the last decade and will be growing at a fast rate the next years. It is because of the mass migration from provinces to Lima. To this we have to add about 200,000 new members to our Country, mostly Venezuelans. This numbers will be growing as well.

On the other side, my main problems of living in Lima is traffic, my second problem is traffic and my third problem is also traffic. It is not an isolated problem to Lima, but also a World Wide phenomenon. Fortunately Lima will have the most modern Metro System in South America, but it will take more years to come. We will have line 2, 3, 4 , 6 and also "tren de cercanias"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7p4V6S9zfE
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

I just returned to Charlotte from Lima last week. I have been travelling to Lima since an engineering project that took place 29 years ago. I have seen many changes in the city over the years. However, I still love to spend time there in Peru. The city is clearly becoming significantly more dense and the traffic becomes worse each year. To travel from Los Olivos to Miraflores now sometimes take more than 1 hour and 45 minutes in a taxi. Metropolitano used to be an option, but now it is so packed and uncomfortable that it is not desired. Real estate costs significantly more. For example, I built an apartment building in Aurora during 2002. The 134 sq m apartments sold for approx. $70 K on the average. Today they are reselling for $240 K. Twenty nine years ago, people would steal from you, but would never intentionally harm you. Now, I believe initiated through the immigration of people from other countries, you can be harmed. Still, the majority of people there are very friendly and a pleasure to be around, the city still has many beautiful areas, the food is so very delicious, (for me) wonderful classic rock music (and others) is available each weekend and I could continue with the city's attributes. I intend to spend one half the year, each year, in Lima.
Lima maybe

Postby Lima maybe » Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like Lima, just on a growth pattern. We'll look into finalizing plans for family to head down, not sure if I'm up for the trip but will see. Thanks again for the info.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 am

I lived in Lima from 2010-2015, so it's been a few years since we left. But I had the experience of living in places as diverse as Comas, kilometro 11 de Tupac Amaru, where you won't see a foreign face, to Los Olivos where my daughter was born, and finally to Chacarilla in Surco. I entered the country as a fairly naive but adventurous foreigner, shocked to see the poverty, crime and trash in the districts I initially frequented; and then left the affluent district of Chacarilla wisened and fluent in spanish language and peruvian culture. I haven't followed much news since then except for the major headlines, but my ex who still lives in el cono norte has had increasingly negative things to say about the safety, stability and general environment in the country since I left. (Mostly to say that I was right to take our daughter out of the country for more stability and better education, while everything goes to sh-t there, as he says.)

Based on my experience, I would encourage people to not go to Peru with any medium or long term plans, especially if there are children involved, unless it is for a brief visit and the exit flights are secured. I believe in real experiences that guide real advice, not fancy marketing campaigns or locals/expats with rose-colored biases.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:43 am

Sounds like you made the right choice. Others would be wise to take your advice in regards to raising a child.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register