Looking for a place to put money on a debit card

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Alienescape

Looking for a place to put money on a debit card

Postby Alienescape » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find a place to directly put money onto my American small credit union debit card. I live in Trujillo. Doesn't matter if its a bank, shop, or whatever just want an easy way to put money on my card. Anything that's easier than a moneygram will be helpful!

Thanks,

ALIEN
Last edited by Alienescape on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking for a place to put money on a debit card

Postby fanning » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:22 pm

What bank ? If your have Scotiabank, just go to a Scotiabank office. Same with BCP, go to a BCP office ..
Alienescape

Postby Alienescape » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:58 pm

fanning wrote:What bank ? If your have Scotiabank, just go to a Scotiabank office. Same with BCP, go to a BCP office ..

No it's an American debit card from a small credit union.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 am

You will have to have somebody "back home" deposit money into your account if they have no online presence.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 am

If you want to deposit money from Peru in your US bank account, that would mean an international bank transfer. Very unlikely you can do that without costs involved.
But the normal procedure would be that you transfer it from a Peruvian bank to your US account, paying the fees of around US$50-80

But if you have cash money in Peru which you want to spend in Peru, why don't you open a Peruvian bankaccount and use the Peruvian debit card ?
Alienescape

Postby Alienescape » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm

fanning wrote:If you want to deposit money from Peru in your US bank account, that would mean an international bank transfer. Very unlikely you can do that without costs involved.
But the normal procedure would be that you transfer it from a Peruvian bank to your US account, paying the fees of around US$50-80

But if you have cash money in Peru which you want to spend in Peru, why don't you open a Peruvian bankaccount and use the Peruvian debit card ?

I was under the impression that you cant open a bank account with just a passport
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Alienescape wrote:
fanning wrote:If you want to deposit money from Peru in your US bank account, that would mean an international bank transfer. Very unlikely you can do that without costs involved.

I was under the impression that you cant open a bank account with just a passport

That is correct.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register