Plannning ~6 months of remote work for U.S. based company, tourist visa or work visa?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

carru036

Plannning ~6 months of remote work for U.S. based company, tourist visa or work visa?

Postby carru036 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello,

This is my first post here. I plan on working remotely for around 6 months and I am wondering the best way to go about it. Will I need citizenship for this short of a period of time? What if I decide on a more permanent working situation (working 9+ months per year from Lima), then will I need to apply for citizenship?

Additionally, what would be the easiest way for me to pay taxes for a period of less than 6 months where I am working remotely for a u.s. based company? Do I need to pay my u.s. taxes or would I pay Peruvian taxes since I am living there?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Plannning ~6 months of remote work for U.S. based company, tourist visa or work visa?

Postby Alan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 am

Legally speaking, you need a Carnet Extranjeria (like a green card) to work in Lima. This is not citizenship, that said, I suspect that very few short-term remote workers fulfill this requirement.

If you plan to come for nine months a year, you will absolutely need to get a Carnet, since your tourist visa is only good for up to six months (and sometimes less).

Work in Peru, pay taxes in Peru. Depending on your country of citizenship, you might also be responsible for taxes back home.
carru036

Re: Plannning ~6 months of remote work for U.S. based company, tourist visa or work visa?

Postby carru036 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Alan wrote:Legally speaking, you need a Carnet Extranjeria (like a green card) to work in Lima. This is not citizenship, that said, I suspect that very few short-term remote workers fulfill this requirement.

If you plan to come for nine months a year, you will absolutely need to get a Carnet, since your tourist visa is only good for up to six months (and sometimes less).

Work in Peru, pay taxes in Peru. Depending on your country of citizenship, you might also be responsible for taxes back home.

So for the first part, are you saying if I am only planning on staying under 6 months, I could get away with not getting a green card?

For the second part, if I was planning a more long term option like 9 months-a few years, I would obviously need to pay taxes. Do you know off the top of your head if I would need to pay taxes in the u.s. as well?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 pm

US citizens enjoy a pretty hefty ceiling for income earned overseas. If memory serves, it is upwards of $80,000. Google to learn more.
Juan de los Altos

Postby Juan de los Altos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:43 pm

As you only want 6 months, you can get this when you come here as a tourist visa, just insist that you need 6 months when you come into immigrations/aduana. I told them that I wanted to get to know the extended family of my fiancee and do a lot of travelling to know the grandeur that is Peru. When your 6 months is up you will have to exit the country and then re-enter. Hopefully, you can get another 6 months, but sometimes they only give you 1-3 months (in a 1-year time frame). The easiest/safest way to exit and re-enter seems to be via Tacna at the border with Chile. None of this will be working toward anything permanent though.

You will probably not be able to get a bank account, but I have heard of some people getting them with Interbank. The MAIN thing is, you are working remotely for a U.S. based company, I assume that your job is online, like a programmer, copywriter, etc. You do not have to pay Peruvian taxes if your U.S. based company doesn't have a physical branch here (hence the ''remote" part). You will have to pay U.S. taxes as normal (I am assuming you are from the U.S.) because you are working for a U.S. company.

You will want to make sure you have a bank card/credit card with a chip (like in most of the world) so that you can use that for transactions at malls, grocery stores, etc. You have to remember that Peru is a "developing" country and most transactions are cash based, so you will want to look into services like Xoom which will allow you to quickly and relatively cheaply transfer cash from your U.S. bank to pick up here. If you can use a crypto like Eth via Buda.com or some other service that might be even better, but it might also have U.S. tax implications.

You don't have to pay U.S. tax if you live outside of the country for the majority of a year AND don't work for a U.S. based company. The info is relatively straightforward in the IRS docs...if you can find that section.

Don't worry about paying taxes here. You will be paying plenty as the sales tax is 18%(minimum), but it's already baked into the price.

Good Luck!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:51 pm

US citizens have to pay tax on their world wide income no matter where it comes from. But depending on your income you may not make enough to owe any taxes.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am

Also, do not count on opening a bank account here. This is now very difficult, if not impossible, for tourists.
Juan de los Altos

Postby Juan de los Altos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm

You will probably want to read up on the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... -exclusion

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register