Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Recycling in Lima

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi.

I became curious about the lack of recycling here and contacted the Municipality of Miraflores to see what they have arranged. It's pretty interesting: they register your name and address and then have recyclers (who are small family businesses) who swing by twice a week during certain hours (depending on your zone) and will pick up bags of recycled goods that you have labelled with a special printed tape they give you. Besides the usual plastics, glass, paper and cardboard, you can also leave old electronics, batteries, and even cooking oil.

They told me that most municipalities arrange something similar, but I can't vouch for that.

If you live in Miraflores and are interested in doing something similar in your apartment, house or office, here is the contact detail:

PROGRAMA "BASURA QUE NO ES BASURA"

Municipalidad de Miraflores-Subgerencia de Desarrollo Ambiental
Telf: 617-7173 / RPC: 942-114-807
Ernesto Diez Canseco N° 219 3er piso, Miraflores

basuraquenoesbasura@miraflores.gob.pe

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recycling in Lima

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Gee that sure makes it easy for the guys that run just before the trash trucks, digging through the trash collecting and recycling recyclables. Simply grab the bags with that special tape.
BTW the trash guys also separate recyclables and recycle,. Easy Peezy. don't worry the earth is happy, your crap is being recycled without crying to the gov't.
Last edited by 69roadrunner on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Gee that sure makes it easy for the guys that run just before the trash trucks, digging through the trash collecting and recycling recyclables.

I asked about that. Yes, it's a problem for them. But hey, recycling is recycling.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Alan wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:Gee that sure makes it easy for the guys that run just before the trash trucks, digging through the trash collecting and recycling recyclables.

I asked about that. Yes, it's a problem for them. But hey, recycling is recycling.

Why is it a problem if, HEY, recycling is recycling? Why involve the Gov't with their 'special tape'? Does this special tape involve kick backs to the gov't? Kina reminds me of the 'families in New York who fought for trash pick up.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

They come I think for the last 2 years. They ring the bell around 3pm on Fridays, and take the plastic bottles and anything we separated. You don't put it outside, just keep it stored till Friday and they pick the recyclables up by your house. Very handy.
They seem to be of the municipalidad

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register