Only 90 days allowed to US citizens

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

scottshell

Only 90 days allowed to US citizens

Postby scottshell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Hola group. This is my first post.

So, this is my 5th time to Peru, and the 1st time for my new wife. We are both US citizens, and we arrived a week ago. Upon passing customs, I asked for the 183 days and the lady said it was no longer possible and that 90 days was the maximum. She showed me her computer screen for US citizens and indeed it said 90 days. I didn't read it too closely, but she said it was a recent change. Maybe as punishment for the Trump administration.

Anyway, does anyone here know of this change? I've been to the customs office in Lima before to get extensions, but would rather avoid that if it will not result in anything.

I'm also curious about when the year begins to accumulate 183 days. Since we arrived in October, we can use up most of our 90 days through the rest of the year. Does a new round of 183 days begin January 1 2019, or does the cycle begin on the day we entered.

Thanks!
Scott

Dodger0926

Re: Only 90 days allowed to US citizens

Postby Dodger0926 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:26 am

This literally just happened to me today as well. This must be a brand new policy. My girlfriend is a Peruvian citizen and we asked the consulate in DC no more than two or three weeks ago about tourist visas. They told us it was six months per year. Migraciones told us today that it’s now only 3 months per year, 6 months if there’s a diplomatic purpose or something to that effect.

I came here with her, having already enrolled in a Spanish language program at El Sol that lasts 5 months, with the understanding that I could complete the program within the timeframe that a tourist visa permits. However, I don’t think El Sol is a school that would qualify me for a student visa.

I do have the income to fulfill the requirements for a rentista visa, but I hear there’s been some changes to the laws on those as well. My income comes from rental properties and some investment portfolios in the US. I saw somewhere that they’re requiring retirement income now. I’m 34, I haven’t reached pension age yet.

Does anyone have insight or tips on what I could do or where I should go to get the answers I need? It seems like there’s no reliable source of information on Peruvian immigration laws and visas online.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Dodger0926 wrote:This literally just happened to me today as well. This must be a brand new policy. My girlfriend is a Peruvian citizen and we asked the consulate in DC no more than two or three weeks ago about tourist visas. They told us it was six months per year. Migraciones told us today that it’s now only 3 months per year, 6 months if there’s a diplomatic purpose or something to that effect.

I came here with her, having already enrolled in a Spanish language program at El Sol that lasts 5 months, with the understanding that I could complete the program within the timeframe that a tourist visa permits. However, I don’t think El Sol is a school that would qualify me for a student visa.

I do have the income to fulfill the requirements for a rentista visa, but I hear there’s been some changes to the laws on those as well. My income comes from rental properties and some investment portfolios in the US. I saw somewhere that they’re requiring retirement income now. I’m 34, I haven’t reached pension age yet.

Does anyone have insight or tips on what I could do or where I should go to get the answers I need? It seems like there’s no reliable source of information on Peruvian immigration laws and visas online.

I am curious how you guys got to Peru. It is my understanding the airlines only alluw you to buy round trip tickets, retuning in less than 90 days? That should be your first clue.
Wiracocha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm

In response to two of the posts.
First one, I recommend that you engage a smart immigracion lawyer...I am an Aussie but haven't heard about this apparent new visa restiction on Americans. I think that needs absolute verification.

Othe post/question..For a Rentisa Visa, you have to have a pension comimg into a Peruvian bank account, from an official pension authority in your counrty. ...and you will need documents/letters from your pension provider prove this with your application.
Also letters must state that your pension is for life and no less than US$1000 per month. Other than this, you may need assistance from an immigracion lawyer as well. All letters & documents have to be apostilled and officially translated, of course.
I am on my second time "through the mill" on all this stuff...purely because Migraciones couldn't understand a few things and didn't advise me HOW I could open a bank account here....that's another story. I have now, so my application should go more smoothly this time...fingers crossed. I am using an immigracion lawyer this time...I am bloody sick of being stuffed around,

Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers.
gt-cri

Postby gt-cri » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Dodger0926,

You could go down on one knee and "pop THE question"? :)
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Has the US recently imposed a similar restriction on Peruvians entering the country? If it's a limitation of 90 days to only US citizens (as opposed to a change in Migrations for all tourists) then it's possible a retaliation against a US policy. That's often what happens, when Canada, US, Europe, etc impose restrictions on travel from some countries, then the restricted country often applies the same rules.
scottshell

Postby scottshell » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 am

I am curious how you guys got to Peru. It is my understanding the airlines only alluw you to buy round trip tickets, retuning in less than 90 days? That should be your first clue

Delta didn't ask for return info or ongoing travel plans. I have been asked before, but not this time. Good thing, since I was ready to show them a return flight 6 months from entry.
Donnie123

Postby Donnie123 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

chante wrote:Has the US recently imposed a similar restriction on Peruvians entering the country? If it's a limitation of 90 days to only US citizens (as opposed to a change in Migrations for all tourists) then it's possible a retaliation against a US policy. That's often what happens, when Canada, US, Europe, etc impose restrictions on travel from some countries, then the restricted country often applies the same rules.

hahah its funny. Peruvians has a lot of restriction to enter the USA. sometimes even someone lose money when consulate USA refuse give visa. by my opinion I am happy that it occurs , and I hope in the future Peru request visa to USA citizen. by the way We are happy to enter the UE without visa, if it may no possible to request visa at least they should pay to enter to Peru as a policy of same treat
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Have a look at this
https://cel.migraciones.gob.pe:8081/PRPL/PRPL_Inicio

and this

https://www.migraciones.gob.pe/Normativa%20Interna/Resoluciones%20de%20Superintendencia/RS156-2018.pdf

So basically you can do your extension online. You only need your passport and TAM and payment of S/11.70. You are NOT allowed to do the extension when your visa is expired.
Wiracocha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 pm

G'day all,
I was in Migraciones, Brena today, 3rd floor, to submit my second submission for my Rentista visa....and I saw no signs about any restrictions to 90 days for Americans. Just a normal sign about the 183 days in any 365 day period.
I didn't want to ask that question...didn't want to muddy the water for my interview as an Aussie. ! :-)
Cheers,
W
PRL.1206

Postby PRL.1206 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:12 am

Dodger0926 wrote:This literally just happened to me today as well. This must be a brand new policy. My girlfriend is a Peruvian citizen and we asked the consulate in DC no more than two or three weeks ago about tourist visas. They told us it was six months per year. Migraciones told us today that it’s now only 3 months per year, 6 months if there’s a diplomatic purpose or something to that effect.

As your gf is Peruvian, then just marry her and you will be allowed to stay as long as you want.
PRL.1206

Postby PRL.1206 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:04 pm

PRL.1206 wrote:

As your gf is Peruvian, then just marry her and you will be allowed to stay as long as you want.

I don't think only US citizens get a 90 days visa stamp.
I have an EU passport and last time if arrived in Peru I only got 90 days as well. The numerous times I arrived in Peru in the past, I also got 183 days.

Most countries, have a 90 days limit. I don't think that apart from Peru any other country gives 183 days visa stamps.
Unless you are an EU citizen then you can stay for unlimited time in any other EU country.

???When I arrived in Canada...they only gave me 3 DAYS :shock: ???

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register