Having "Jr." in your name causes problems at RENIEC

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello
PLEASE I really need some HELP. Does anyone know how to contact the Superintendencia Nacional de Migraciones. I would like to talk to the Superintendent himself.
Today I went to apply to become a citizen and the person who went over my paperwork refused our marriage certificate from RENIEC and my wife's D.N.I. because I am a Junior (Jr.) and my wife's papers only have my last name without Jr. She said it was not legal. So I asked her why did they issue me a C.E. with all of the same paper work she looked at me like I was crazy to ask that question.
I tried to explain to her that in America where I come from your wife never takes the suffix after your last name eg. Sr., Jr., III and so on. My marriage papers issued by RENIEC have me down as my last name without Jr, so we went to RENIEC to get that corrected and they say we have to get a lawyer and a judge to order the change the name to say Jr. Even though we have the original paper work that we used to file to make the marriage papers legal to use in Peru. He said that they can not correct any mistakes without an order from a judge.
Any HELP or INFO. would be welcomed.
Thank you
Bobby

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:23 pm

rgbjr wrote:Hello
PLEASE I really need some HELP. Does anyone know how to contact the Superintendencia Nacional de Migraciones. I would like to talk to the Superintendent himself.
Today I went to apply to become a citizen and the person who went over my paperwork refused our marriage certificate from RENIEC and my wife's D.N.I. because I am a Junior (Jr.) and my wife's papers only have my last name without Jr. She said it was not legal. So I asked her why did they issue me a C.E. with all of the same paper work she looked at me like I was crazy to ask that question.
I tried to explain to her that in America where I come from your wife never takes the suffix after your last name eg. Sr., Jr., III and so on. My marriage papers issued by RENIEC have me down as my last name without Jr, so we went to RENIEC to get that corrected and they say we have to get a lawyer and a judge to order the change the name to say Jr. Even though we have the original paper work that we used to file to make the marriage papers legal to use in Peru. He said that they can not correct any mistakes without an order from a judge.
Any HELP or INFO. would be welcomed.
Thank you
Bobby

Unfortunately, this is true and you will need to get a judge to change it. I am a JR as well. Both of my sons with different names than mine are both JR's as well. We tried two times to have this changed at birth to no avail. Magically, when they got their American passports the JR disappeared. But school records , medical records, DNI's,Peruvian passports all have it and some day I will have to spend the money to have it undone.
kenpo1st

Re: Having "Jr." in your name causes problems at RENIEC

Postby kenpo1st » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:59 pm

We just experienced this today. My husband is american and recently became peruvian. His dni has the jr, today we tried to get renew peruvian passports for our kids and would not let us because in the kids dni, the father( using the C.E. number) shows not information as he is a peruvian now, they sent us to reniec to update the dnis. Reniec does not know what to do because my husband last name in his dni has the jr on it but our kids don't, I need to go back on Monday. :(

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register