Becoming a Peruvian

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Becoming a Peruvian

Postby Remigius » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Hello. I'd like to know how valid this link still is: http://www.expatperu.com/becoming-a-per ... riage.html. I am a foreigner, residing for more than 5 years in Peru, and married to a Peruvian.
Thanks!

markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Becoming a Peruvian

Postby markr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Remigius wrote:Hello. I'd like to know how valid this link still is: http://www.expatperu.com/becoming-a-per ... riage.html. I am a foreigner, residing for more than 5 years in Peru, and married to a Peruvian.
Thanks!

I'm about to go through this process and the only thing that slightly differs from the information I have from DIGEMIN is that the photocopy of your carnet must be legalized, and with regards to your marriage certificate, "recent copy" means no more than 90 days old.
Can't vouch for the prices.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:24 pm

I had to pay about 60% more for the renewal of my carnet last time, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of increase in other payments. The 90-day window for wedding certificates I knew, because it also applies on other formalities; however, I didn't know about the legalised copy of the C.E. Thanks for the update! Fortunately, a trip to the notary isn't that much of a hassle.

EDIT: Did they say anything about legalising the DNI of the spouse?
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Considering these fools are the ones issuing C.E.s there doesn't seem much point in legalising a copy of one, and it wouldn't surprise me Remigius if you end up not needing to do this your time around. Make sure you post about your experiences though!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:16 pm

"There doesn't seem much point" -- Ahh, I love that phrase. I guess I must have repeated that line at least a thousand times. Then my wife got fed up and simply bounced back the ball: "¡Esto es Perú!" And with that exact attitude I've faced those darn bureaucrats ever since!

I'll keep you guys posted!
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:48 pm

stuart wrote:Considering these fools are the ones issuing C.E.s there doesn't seem much point in legalising a copy of one, and it wouldn't surprise me Remigius if you end up not needing to do this your time around. Make sure you post about your experiences though!

Stuart.
I'm quoting direct from the DIGEMIN's "DIRECCION DE NACIONALIZACION" leaflet that they gave me when I made enquiries in March this year.
I thought exactly the same as you, but nothing comes as a surprise so, as I always suggest, don't question, don't argue, just do as asked and these processes are quite simple.
There is no mention of having your spouses DNI legalized.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm

markr wrote:
stuart wrote:Considering these fools are the ones issuing C.E.s there doesn't seem much point in legalising a copy of one, and it wouldn't surprise me Remigius if you end up not needing to do this your time around. Make sure you post about your experiences though!

Stuart.
I'm quoting direct from the DIGEMIN's "DIRECCION DE NACIONALIZACION" leaflet that they gave me when I made enquiries in March this year.
I thought exactly the same as you, but nothing comes as a surprise so, as I always suggest, don't question, don't argue, just do as asked and these processes are quite simple.
There is no mention of having your spouses DNI legalized.

Of course, I'm just saying there's a 50% chance that he won't be asked for it. Digemin also official request other legalizations of documents that I've never had to do. Making up the rules as they go along can work out to your benefit sometimes though, like when I paid the tax this year I was just handed the sticker and told to stick in on my card! 30 seconds in the queue and 5 seconds at the window, that must be a record! Which reminds me, this year was also the first time where I was told I didn't need the real marriage certificate from RENIEC, that a unverified photocopy would more than do.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:19 am

I guess in the end rules are being made up and broken at will. I remember a year ago they suddenly started to ask me for a copy of my passport. God knows why! I estimate a 95% of all documents to be utterly obsolete, because when you look at the mountainous piles of documents, one can only come to the conclusion that it's impossible to verify all the content. The decision to grant you the new carnet or extension is basically made at la mesa de partes. They might as well hand you over the sticker(s) there.

10 years ago I would gave pulled them over the counter, but after a while you start realising that they must have pathetic lives by working in that place, so you actually start feeling sorry for them and just bring them anything they want.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 am

A little update for those interested. I went today to DIGEMIN with all the documents as specified on their website: http://www.digemin.gob.pe/nac_ipm_mostrar.asp . Remember, I'm applying for INSCRIPCIÓN DE PERUANO(A) POR MATRIMONIO.

The differences (although I would not bank on it):

- They only asked for 1 photo instead of 4
- To the contrary of what Makr was told: it was not necessary to legalise the carnet (I did anyway)
- I did need to obtain the birth certificate of my wife (of course), but an extra copy (simple) was not necessary.

They'll now contact me for an interview at my place. Not sure what they're going to ask, but it seems a formality.

Cheers
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:45 pm

I went through the steps to become Peruvian. The immigration office on the third floor is very helpful. Quite frankly, it was a piece of cake. It beats getting your Carnet renewed every year!

Congrads on your new citizenship when you get it.

Welcome to the club!
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks! It sure beats having to go to digemin 4x a year with the same paperwork and going through the ever increasing traffic. I still don't know why they don't attend us at Óvalo Gutiérrez for at least getting the CE extended.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Since today I've got the Peruvian nationality. Ironically speaking, the last day, which supposed to have been the easiest part (picking up the title), was the toughest. For 3 hours I was at DIGEMIN doing all sorts of last minute payments (F-002) and copy work, even though they had assured me, earlier on the phone, that everything was ready and I didn't have to make payments nor do any paperwork and just come and collect the title. Well, at least I don't have to go back to that dump any more. 8)
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Congratulations! time to celebrate?
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Congratulations !
You are Dutch, I believe. In that case be sure to get now a fresh copy of your marriage certificate, legalize it by the dutch embassy, to proof in the future when you get your new DUTCH passport, that you were married at the time of ACQUIRING the Peruvian nationality. The requirement for Holland NOT to loose the Dutch nationality is that you were married to someone who has the nationality at the time you acquired an other nationaliy.
So better be safe than sorry, NOW is that time, so if in the future you partner dies, or get divorced, you can proof that at the time of ACQUIRING you were married !
Also be sure that you get a new Dutch passport at least once every 10 years, else you also loose your Dutch.

I am going to do the same by the way. I just want to wait what the new (rightwing) government is planning on making stricter the immigration rules. ( and maybe block expats from getting another nationality in any case )
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 am

fanning wrote:Congratulations !
You are Dutch, I believe. In that case be sure to get now a fresh copy of your marriage certificate, legalize it by the dutch embassy, to proof in the future when you get your new DUTCH passport, that you were married at the time of ACQUIRING the Peruvian nationality. The requirement for Holland NOT to loose the Dutch nationality is that you were married to someone who has the nationality at the time you acquired an other nationaliy.
So better be safe than sorry, NOW is that time, so if in the future you partner dies, or get divorced, you can proof that at the time of ACQUIRING you were married !
Also be sure that you get a new Dutch passport at least once every 10 years, else you also loose your Dutch.

I am going to do the same by the way. I just want to wait what the new (rightwing) government is planning on making stricter the immigration rules. ( and maybe block expats from getting another nationality in any case )

Hi Fanning,

Thanks for the advice and the congrats. I married in Peru 10 years ago and had my marriage registered in Holland 3 years later, so I should have all bases covered. Today I applied successfully for my DNI, so within 2 weeks I should have that blue plastic in my pocket.

Your reason for waiting to get the nationality has been my motivation to get it straight away. I believe that it's easier to prevent people from getting a dual nationality than forcing people give up their dual nationality.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 am

I married in Peru 10 years ago and had my marriage registered in Holland 3 years later, so I should have all bases covered

Technically speaking with that you only prove that 7 or 10 years ago you were married. You must make sure that on the moment of Acquiring the other nationality, that you were married AT THAT MOMENT with somebody who has that nationality.

If you get now a fresh copy of your marriage certificate you can on paper proof that you are NOW married.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 pm

fanning wrote:Technically speaking with that you only prove that 7 or 10 years ago you were married. You must make sure that on the moment of Acquiring the other nationality, that you were married AT THAT MOMENT with somebody who has that nationality.

If you get now a fresh copy of your marriage certificate you can on paper proof that you are NOW married.

I appreciate your concern, but this is not really a priority for me. I can easily proof that I married 10 years ago and was married to the same Peruvian woman at the time when I obtained my Peruvian nationality. When you get your Peruvian nationality, you are given a certificate ("título") with the name and DNI of your spouse. At RENIEC you can retrieve all the documentation needed to proof you were married to your Peruvian spouse at the time of naturalisation. For me that's enough.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 am

Yesterday I also applied for the Peruvian nationality ! They make me come back on Monday ( to the 6th floor ) what is that about ?
Also I have a question. When I finally get the Titulo I can get the DNI, but Reniec has its own rules. Can anybody tell me what are the requisitos for Reniec and DNI in respect of getting the DNI with a Titulo?
( For example I do not have a recent copy of my birthcertificate, as I did not need it for the tramite to get the nationality, but who knows then anyway Reniec is going to need one.. )
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:49 am

When you go to RENIEC you need your "título" (and copy), 2 photos (passport size, white background), copy of the water or electricity bill, wedding certificate (although I didn't bring one and they looked it up in the system), and if you have technical or other higher studies you need to bring your diploma and, in case it's in a foreign language, a simple translation (you can do this yourself). This is how it's supposed to be, but in my case 80% of my documents they didn't ask for. Also important to know: if you go to RENIEC on Javier Prado, they've closed the Bank de la Nación inside, so you have to pay in a branch of the bank (there is one on the other side of Javier Prado). The payment is 24 soles, which isn't too bad.

The only weird thing was that they asked me for my TAM entry ticket to Peru. Of course, I threw that thing away the moment I became a resident, but the guy made a fuss about it. He was a rookie though, so quickly he was called by a more experienced colleague and told to just proceed with the application, but it was an awkward moment and I still don't know why the TAM is necessary. Perhaps somebody else could explain.

Since you are going through the application at DIGEMIN, let me give you some useful advise. Firstly, try to get the direct phone numbers of "Naturalización" and la UVI (unidad de verificación e investigación). These two departments are in charge of the whole process. I got the phone numbers by calling the central of DIGEMIN (whenever there was a receptionist present). Every time they want you to come back for something, first call them instead of going. If I, instead of calling, would have gone to Breña each time they told me things were ready, I would've gone for swat 90% of the time.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Whoever asked for your TAM must have been CLUELESS. It's not a matter of if you "throw it away"...they TAKE it from you when you leave as a tourist and you don't get one when you enter as a resident (tourists must have one when inside the country and residents/citizens when outside the country) ...I think there are laws now where you don't have to leave to become a resident but since that changed less than 2 years ago no one currently getting citizenship would have a TAM. We fill one out to leave and turn it in when we enter, as legal residents. OUr proof of entrance is just our passport stamp. Never ceases to amaze me how little migraciones knows about Peruvian migraciones laws!
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 pm

It was RENIEC actually that was clueless and it all happened so fast that I couldn't/didn't (want to) ask any further. I was already happy they accepted the DNI request and didn't want to give them the time to change their minds.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Remigius,

Thanks for the advice. Can you PM me with some phonenumbers ? Your PM function seems to be disabled ..
I am happy that at least I will not be required to arrange from here a freshly legalized copy of my birthcertificate from Holland .. :)

The TAM seems indeed a bit foolish, as a resident fills one out when he leaves Peru, and it is taken back when he returns in Peru. ( I actually once came back, and Migraciones by mistake registered me back in their system as a tourist, which costed me many lost hours and trips to Breña to correct it, and there I actually saw a copy of the TAM which they took from me returning to Peru.. So they actually keep track of those little forms )
I found the link on Reniec about the requirements:
http://www.reniec.gob.pe/portal/GuiaTramite.jsp?accion=1&coTramite=01&coSubtipo=00008
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 am

Sorry dude, once I got my DNI I made a huge bonfire with everything that had to do with DIGEMIN with me and my wife doing some joyful dancing around it. I got those phone numbers by going to the website of DIGEMIN and calling their main number. That link of RENIEC you mention is exactly where I got my info from, however, they asked me for 2 photos instead of one.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm

I am happy and proud to report that I am now legally Peruvian. The process wasn't the smoothest, but it wasn't terrible either. I actually found the staff there to be pretty motivated on the whole, but the system could be improved.

That advice about the telephone numbers is genius. Wish I had thought of that. One thing I will tell you though is that if they say they will "phone you when it is ready" is total bull. You either need to phone yourself, or go down yourself.

Do yourself a favor and try to go as early as possible and avoid the rush. Be polite and make friends with the harried and overworked receptionist who guards the entrance to the office.

Also be advised that as of 2010, there are some new requirements. For example, a police officer needs to visit your home to ensure you live there, and then at a later date you and your spouse need to be interviewed by one of the directors. This is a response to the illegal immigration to Peru from China, India, Cuba and a couple other countries.

Drop me a line if I can help in anyway.

Cholodiense soy,
Alan
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Congrats Alan! Actually, in my case, they did call me when it was ready. I nearly got a heart attack out of utter excitement! However, when I went to DIGEMIN apparently the documents were still on another floor. They asked me to come back the next day or wait 30 minutes. I chose the latter. 2 hours later......... Anyway, you get the idea. You're right. They're very nice, but unfortunately they don't realise (or care) that time is money.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:31 am

Alan wrote:I am happy and proud to report that I am now legally Peruvian. The process wasn't the smoothest, but it wasn't terrible either.
Cholodiense soy,
Alan

The coolest thing is that you don't have to spend time or money renewing your Carnet every year. You just need to renew your DNI in another 8 years. Amen to that brother. I don't miss my Carnet at all.

Welcome to the club Alan! Next step is to get your passport once you have your DNI. Takes 3 hours. Pay the bank fee at Banco de La Nacion - anywhere in Lima, show up to Migraciones early with a light bill and you will have your passport in less than 3 hours. The paperwork (formulario) is filled out by Migraciones when they enter your information in the system.
Regards,

George
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 am

I became Peruvian a year ago. be aware that they changed my name. I now have three last names: father, mother, de husband. They REFUSED to let me keep my orginal name: father de husband.

Steps are here
http://theultimateperulist.blogspot.com ... tatus.html
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:15 am

Alan wrote:I am happy and proud to report that I am now legally Peruvian. The process wasn't the smoothest, but it wasn't terrible either. I actually found the staff there to be pretty motivated on the whole, but the system could be improved.

Congrats! What made you do it after all these years?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:53 am

american_in_lima wrote:show up to Migraciones early with a light bill and you will have your passport in less than 3 hours.

The best part of all: show up at the immigration service office in Miraflores and not the one in that dump.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

I was supposed to get the Peruvian nationality in november. I had my 'final' appointment with the director of naturalizacion, and after that they took my (electronic) fingerprints, (electronic) signature, and (electronic) passphoto. With that and a final check of all my documents, they printed my Peruvian 'Titulo'. This document would be the final document, proofing my Peruvian citizenship, and 'only' needed to be signed by the director general of Migraciones himself. That would take 2 weeks... But as all things in Migraciones things don't always work out how they say it will. Now after 1.5 months after calling them every week, they told me that the director general was replaced by a new guy, and he made up some new rules. He in fact doesn't like to sign documents which have electronic printed signatures on them, so they made me come back today to do the whole signing process again. This time not electronic, but they actually printed the titulo and made me sign it in real.
Now it is off again to the director general, so lets see what nonsense he thinks of now again to keep me from my titulo. In the mean time we are in 2011, so 'logically' because of their mistake of not informing me of their changed director with new signing rules, I will have to pay the Tasa Anual for my Carnet, and immidiately after signing they will keep my Carnet and give me the Citizenship.
Well it seems to be the last hurdle, so who knows that by the end of the month I finally have my DNI.. Then off to go to the banks, registros publicos, etc. to have them change my CE for a DNI.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:34 am

fanning wrote:I was supposed to get the Peruvian nationality in november. I had my 'final' appointment with the director of naturalizacion, and after that they took my (electronic) fingerprints, (electronic) signature, and (electronic) passphoto. With that and a final check of all my documents, they printed my Peruvian 'Titulo'. This document would be the final document, proofing my Peruvian citizenship, and 'only' needed to be signed by the director general of Migraciones himself. That would take 2 weeks... But as all things in Migraciones things don't always work out how they say it will. Now after 1.5 months after calling them every week, they told me that the director general was replaced by a new guy, and he made up some new rules. He in fact doesn't like to sign documents which have electronic printed signatures on them, so they made me come back today to do the whole signing process again. This time not electronic, but they actually printed the titulo and made me sign it in real.
Now it is off again to the director general, so lets see what nonsense he thinks of now again to keep me from my titulo. In the mean time we are in 2011, so 'logically' because of their mistake of not informing me of their changed director with new signing rules, I will have to pay the Tasa Anual for my Carnet, and immidiately after signing they will keep my Carnet and give me the Citizenship.
Well it seems to be the last hurdle, so who knows that by the end of the month I finally have my DNI.. Then off to go to the banks, registros publicos, etc. to have them change my CE for a DNI.

Totally worth the hassle to get your DNI. On my DNI, the next time I need to renew is in 2017! I can live with the savings of time and money...The best part is not being a "guest" anymore here as even with a carnet you are at the mercy of the Peruvian government.
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

fanning wrote:I will have to pay the Tasa Anual for my Carnet, and immidiately after signing they will keep my Carnet and give me the Citizenship.

What stupidity! People who are in the final phase of obtaining the citizenship should be exempted from paying these fees. Ah well, it has become my personal motto here in Peru: "There's always something!"
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm

In fact I am exonerated of this fee .. ( Married with a Peruvian ), but I need a new and fresh copy of my marriage certificate ( S/. 17.50 I think ), and a fee of S/. 28 to NOT pay the standard fee of S/. 56.
O and I forgot, you have to come TWICE, so twice traffic, parking, gas, etc.
I just stick with the S/. 56 this time.
THE LAST TIME !!!'

But then because I didn't get my DNI before the 11th of December 2010 I will not be able to vote, so probably I will get a multa for not voting..
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

fanning wrote:But then because I didn't get my DNI before the 11th of December 2010 I will not be able to vote, so probably I will get a multa for not voting..

Haha! That would be just perfect. :D I guess I'll wait until after the elections to get mine!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I am not convinced (yet) that I want to die in Peru. Although it is still in the running, I would keep my eye on Ecuador,Colombia and Uruguay and if they ever get their act together Argentina!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Finally got my DNI ! By the way, when I got my Titulo I had anticipated that they would make me pay the Tasa anual, but in fact they didn't. I just had to pay S/. 12 to get 5 legalized copies of my Titulo to use in the various tramites that would follow ( I needed one of them for the application of the DNI )
So for me the process from applying for the nationality, up to actually have the DNI was from the 20st of October -> 31 of January, so a bit over 3 months.
Now I only need to change my document in the bank, registros publicos, Ripley, CMR etc.
Viva Peru !

So now I am officially not an expat anymore, but a 'allochtoon', a Peruvian from non-Peruvian parents..
Thinking of that, now my parents can apply for their residency, based on having a Peruvian son.. They will be delighted ;) and in this way a 'tsunami' of Dutch Peruvians will start flooding Lima.. ( My fellow Dutch compatriotas will understand ).
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 am

Got my citizenship yesterday (INSCRIPCIÓN DE PERUANO(A) POR MATRIMONIO). I seem to have had a slightly easier experience than others. I applied on Jan 20th, was given an interview date for the following week which they cancelled after keeping me hanging around for a couple of hours, had a 2nd appointment a few days later but it wasn't an interview, it was just the same guy who had looked at my application and all he did was confirm my details and take a photo and fingerprints, and then 10 days later I got my certificate. Total time was 22 days. No police, no home visits, no phone calls, no name changes - not even required to add my mother's maiden name.

The only variation in the info from the DIGIMIN web site was that they just needed one photo and a basic copy of my son's DNI (which luckily I had with me). Off to RENIEC today to apply for a DNI.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 am

Congrats. :)
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

gerard wrote:Got my citizenship yesterday (INSCRIPCIÓN DE PERUANO(A) POR MATRIMONIO). I seem to have had a slightly easier experience than others. I applied on Jan 20th, was given an interview date for the following week which they cancelled after keeping me hanging around for a couple of hours, had a 2nd appointment a few days later but it wasn't an interview, it was just the same guy who had looked at my application and all he did was confirm my details and take a photo and fingerprints, and then 10 days later I got my certificate. Total time was 22 days. No police, no home visits, no phone calls, no name changes - not even required to add my mother's maiden name.

Lovely that rules seem to change all the time :roll: . I literally spent a couple HOURS arguing with them about the name change and talking to higher ups.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 pm

I had somewhat less luck at RENIEC. First they said they needed to see my original University diploma as well as the copy I'd taken, but it was OK that it was in English. So half an hour later we were back there with the original and they decided that it would actually need an official translation from the Ministry of Foreign Relations. As that is way too much hassle we said to just put me down for the basic level.

Then they couldn't figure out how to enter my place of birth in the UK correctly (2 guys, 4 attempts between them) and once they got that right and tried to submit the page the application crashed. Out came the manager and tried another twice and finally they decided the SJL system mustn't know how to process foreigners. So it is off to the main office in downtown Lima on Monday, where no doubt the rules will be competely different.

But they still didn't care I only had one surname.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I actually HAD two surnames on my CE and my US passport, they insisted on a third. Claiming that the US only allowed one and Peru had to have two. I showed them my US passport, they still didn't understand.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

gerard wrote:So half an hour later we were back there with the original and they decided that it would actually need an official translation from the Ministry of Foreign Relations. As that is way too much hassle we said to just put me down for the basic level.

Then they couldn't figure out how to enter my place of birth in the UK correctly (2 guys, 4 attempts between them) and once they got that right and tried to submit the page the application crashed.
But they still didn't care I only had one surname.

The 'TUPA' states you need only a 'traduccion simple'
http://www.reniec.gob.pe/portal/portal/tupa/guia_tramite.htm#4
I made a translation myself ( in spanish ) and at first they complained the translation didn't have the signatures on it. I told them ( and showed them the TUPA ) that they only require a 'traduccion simple' and they accepted the translation ( together with showing the original and give a copy )

My place of birth was also a bit odd.. They only had about 15 cities and provinces of Holland in their system, and mine wasn't there. And they couldn't add a new one. So from now on I am born in Amsterdam ;) for Peruvian authorities. ( Actually is is just a code on your DNI )
Also I only appear with my fathersname, no mothersname printed. They did however ask the names of my parents, but I didn't need to show any document that actually showed their names.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm

fanning wrote:My place of birth was also a bit odd.. They only had about 15 cities and provinces of Holland in their system, and mine wasn't there. And they couldn't add a new one. So from now on I am born in Amsterdam ;) for Peruvian authorities. ( Actually is is just a code on your DNI )
Also I only appear with my fathersname, no mothersname printed. They did however ask the names of my parents, but I didn't need to show any document that actually showed their names.

Mine is Haarlem, which in their system is Holanda Septentrional (Noord Holland). Amazingly, they are not even capable of adding a city to their database. No maiden name on my DNI either and I can foresee problems, since those darn machines of RENIEC in Jockey Plaza require, as far as I remember, a maiden name to get copies of documents.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Gerard and Fanning,
Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names? I know that american in lima didn't need a name change either, yet they instisted I change my name. It was a hassle and very annoying. Double annoying, since I already HAD two last names and now I have three :roll:
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names

I have seen another Dutch ( also male ) who got a DNI, and he also didn't have a mothersname printed on it. But as far as I know the reason is that on the Titulo their is no mothersname printed on it, ( and also not on my old CE ), and as the requirement to get a DNI is ONLY the Titulo ( with the copy of a bill, and a passphoto ) they could not demand of you to show a document with your mothersname on it. You fight them with their own rules, no?
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm

fanning wrote:
Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names

I have seen another Dutch ( also male ) who got a DNI, and he also didn't have a mothersname printed on it. But as far as I know the reason is that on the Titulo their is no mothersname printed on it, ( and also not on my old CE ), and as the requirement to get a DNI is ONLY the Titulo ( with the copy of a bill, and a passphoto ) they could not demand of you to show a document with your mothersname on it. You fight them with their own rules, no?

Yeah, I tried. I'm starting to think it's because I'm a woman. My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

My passport and CE had "father's name, de husband's name"

I DID fight it. That's what ticks me off. They basically said, "you have to add your mother's last name or you can't become Peruvian" and peopel wonder why I'm living in Korea now . . .

I had to sign a horribly printed out paper which stated my mother's last name on my father's last name. The INVENTED a name for me. Plain and simple. They don't know their own rules.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

So the problem was not RENIEC, but Migraciones ( Naturalizacion ) Already on your Titulo appears your mothersname. What document you had to show to Migraciones to proof your mothersname ? As the only requirement for the Titulo was a CE and a fresh copy of your marriage certificate ( which doesn't show your mothersname.. )
On a side note, when my (Peruvian) wife got her Dutch nationality, she was called Maria Dominguez Suarez de Holandia, so for Dutch authorities her 'maidenname' was 'Dominguez Suarez de Holandia', so then her married name became 'Holandia - Dominguez Suarez de Holandia'. We had to ask the Queen of Holland for a namechange, so it became 'Holandia - Dominguez'. ( That queens approval was a standard application though .. )
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

What's the need to have your level of education accuarately recognized? My understanding is that its only purpose is to have you be chosen as the head of the mesa at elections... not a great way to spend a day.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 am

fanning wrote:
My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

So the problem was not RENIEC, but Migraciones ( Naturalizacion ) Already on your Titulo appears your mothersname. What document you had to show to Migraciones to proof your mothersname ? As the only requirement for the Titulo was a CE and a fresh copy of your marriage certificate ( which doesn't show your mothersname.. )

Right, immigrations. Immigrations just MADE UP a new MAIDEN name for me. Anyways, like I said, I arged with them. Their "logic" was that America forced you to have only ONE last name. Despite the fact that my passport, social security, and driver's license ALL had TWO last names, they wouldn't budge.

They made me sign a horribly printed paper that listed both my parents's full names. I had orginally listed my mom's married name, but didn't want to be "smith smith" for example.

I had to show them my birth cert, so my parents' names are on there as well.

THEN at RENEIC, you USED to be able to be
"father's last name, de husband's last name"

BUT NO, now you're either
"father, mother" OR "father, mother, de husband"

As to the degree issue in RENEIC: I brought my original diploma in SPANISH. And they wouldn't accept it either. They did however, put me down as having a BA, but not an MA. The fact that RENEIC even HAS to know my education level is a whole different story. And from what I hear, my hsuabnd now says that RENIEC will be issuing passports as well . . .
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 am

What's the need to have your level of education accuarately recognized? My understanding is that its only purpose is to have you be chosen as the head of the mesa at elections... not a great way to spend a day.

Which is exactly why we didn't push it. That said, it occasionally has its uses, such as fooling people into thinking I know what I'm talking about.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register