Becoming a Peruvian

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Becoming a Peruvian

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:34 am

fanning wrote:I was supposed to get the Peruvian nationality in november. I had my 'final' appointment with the director of naturalizacion, and after that they took my (electronic) fingerprints, (electronic) signature, and (electronic) passphoto. With that and a final check of all my documents, they printed my Peruvian 'Titulo'. This document would be the final document, proofing my Peruvian citizenship, and 'only' needed to be signed by the director general of Migraciones himself. That would take 2 weeks... But as all things in Migraciones things don't always work out how they say it will. Now after 1.5 months after calling them every week, they told me that the director general was replaced by a new guy, and he made up some new rules. He in fact doesn't like to sign documents which have electronic printed signatures on them, so they made me come back today to do the whole signing process again. This time not electronic, but they actually printed the titulo and made me sign it in real.
Now it is off again to the director general, so lets see what nonsense he thinks of now again to keep me from my titulo. In the mean time we are in 2011, so 'logically' because of their mistake of not informing me of their changed director with new signing rules, I will have to pay the Tasa Anual for my Carnet, and immidiately after signing they will keep my Carnet and give me the Citizenship.
Well it seems to be the last hurdle, so who knows that by the end of the month I finally have my DNI.. Then off to go to the banks, registros publicos, etc. to have them change my CE for a DNI.

Totally worth the hassle to get your DNI. On my DNI, the next time I need to renew is in 2017! I can live with the savings of time and money...The best part is not being a "guest" anymore here as even with a carnet you are at the mercy of the Peruvian government.

Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

fanning wrote:I will have to pay the Tasa Anual for my Carnet, and immidiately after signing they will keep my Carnet and give me the Citizenship.

What stupidity! People who are in the final phase of obtaining the citizenship should be exempted from paying these fees. Ah well, it has become my personal motto here in Peru: "There's always something!"
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm

In fact I am exonerated of this fee .. ( Married with a Peruvian ), but I need a new and fresh copy of my marriage certificate ( S/. 17.50 I think ), and a fee of S/. 28 to NOT pay the standard fee of S/. 56.
O and I forgot, you have to come TWICE, so twice traffic, parking, gas, etc.
I just stick with the S/. 56 this time.
THE LAST TIME !!!'

But then because I didn't get my DNI before the 11th of December 2010 I will not be able to vote, so probably I will get a multa for not voting..
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

fanning wrote:But then because I didn't get my DNI before the 11th of December 2010 I will not be able to vote, so probably I will get a multa for not voting..

Haha! That would be just perfect. :D I guess I'll wait until after the elections to get mine!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I am not convinced (yet) that I want to die in Peru. Although it is still in the running, I would keep my eye on Ecuador,Colombia and Uruguay and if they ever get their act together Argentina!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Finally got my DNI ! By the way, when I got my Titulo I had anticipated that they would make me pay the Tasa anual, but in fact they didn't. I just had to pay S/. 12 to get 5 legalized copies of my Titulo to use in the various tramites that would follow ( I needed one of them for the application of the DNI )
So for me the process from applying for the nationality, up to actually have the DNI was from the 20st of October -> 31 of January, so a bit over 3 months.
Now I only need to change my document in the bank, registros publicos, Ripley, CMR etc.
Viva Peru !

So now I am officially not an expat anymore, but a 'allochtoon', a Peruvian from non-Peruvian parents..
Thinking of that, now my parents can apply for their residency, based on having a Peruvian son.. They will be delighted ;) and in this way a 'tsunami' of Dutch Peruvians will start flooding Lima.. ( My fellow Dutch compatriotas will understand ).
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 am

Got my citizenship yesterday (INSCRIPCIÓN DE PERUANO(A) POR MATRIMONIO). I seem to have had a slightly easier experience than others. I applied on Jan 20th, was given an interview date for the following week which they cancelled after keeping me hanging around for a couple of hours, had a 2nd appointment a few days later but it wasn't an interview, it was just the same guy who had looked at my application and all he did was confirm my details and take a photo and fingerprints, and then 10 days later I got my certificate. Total time was 22 days. No police, no home visits, no phone calls, no name changes - not even required to add my mother's maiden name.

The only variation in the info from the DIGIMIN web site was that they just needed one photo and a basic copy of my son's DNI (which luckily I had with me). Off to RENIEC today to apply for a DNI.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 am

Congrats. :)
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

gerard wrote:Got my citizenship yesterday (INSCRIPCIÓN DE PERUANO(A) POR MATRIMONIO). I seem to have had a slightly easier experience than others. I applied on Jan 20th, was given an interview date for the following week which they cancelled after keeping me hanging around for a couple of hours, had a 2nd appointment a few days later but it wasn't an interview, it was just the same guy who had looked at my application and all he did was confirm my details and take a photo and fingerprints, and then 10 days later I got my certificate. Total time was 22 days. No police, no home visits, no phone calls, no name changes - not even required to add my mother's maiden name.

Lovely that rules seem to change all the time :roll: . I literally spent a couple HOURS arguing with them about the name change and talking to higher ups.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 pm

I had somewhat less luck at RENIEC. First they said they needed to see my original University diploma as well as the copy I'd taken, but it was OK that it was in English. So half an hour later we were back there with the original and they decided that it would actually need an official translation from the Ministry of Foreign Relations. As that is way too much hassle we said to just put me down for the basic level.

Then they couldn't figure out how to enter my place of birth in the UK correctly (2 guys, 4 attempts between them) and once they got that right and tried to submit the page the application crashed. Out came the manager and tried another twice and finally they decided the SJL system mustn't know how to process foreigners. So it is off to the main office in downtown Lima on Monday, where no doubt the rules will be competely different.

But they still didn't care I only had one surname.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I actually HAD two surnames on my CE and my US passport, they insisted on a third. Claiming that the US only allowed one and Peru had to have two. I showed them my US passport, they still didn't understand.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

gerard wrote:So half an hour later we were back there with the original and they decided that it would actually need an official translation from the Ministry of Foreign Relations. As that is way too much hassle we said to just put me down for the basic level.

Then they couldn't figure out how to enter my place of birth in the UK correctly (2 guys, 4 attempts between them) and once they got that right and tried to submit the page the application crashed.
But they still didn't care I only had one surname.

The 'TUPA' states you need only a 'traduccion simple'
http://www.reniec.gob.pe/portal/portal/tupa/guia_tramite.htm#4
I made a translation myself ( in spanish ) and at first they complained the translation didn't have the signatures on it. I told them ( and showed them the TUPA ) that they only require a 'traduccion simple' and they accepted the translation ( together with showing the original and give a copy )

My place of birth was also a bit odd.. They only had about 15 cities and provinces of Holland in their system, and mine wasn't there. And they couldn't add a new one. So from now on I am born in Amsterdam ;) for Peruvian authorities. ( Actually is is just a code on your DNI )
Also I only appear with my fathersname, no mothersname printed. They did however ask the names of my parents, but I didn't need to show any document that actually showed their names.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm

fanning wrote:My place of birth was also a bit odd.. They only had about 15 cities and provinces of Holland in their system, and mine wasn't there. And they couldn't add a new one. So from now on I am born in Amsterdam ;) for Peruvian authorities. ( Actually is is just a code on your DNI )
Also I only appear with my fathersname, no mothersname printed. They did however ask the names of my parents, but I didn't need to show any document that actually showed their names.

Mine is Haarlem, which in their system is Holanda Septentrional (Noord Holland). Amazingly, they are not even capable of adding a city to their database. No maiden name on my DNI either and I can foresee problems, since those darn machines of RENIEC in Jockey Plaza require, as far as I remember, a maiden name to get copies of documents.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Gerard and Fanning,
Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names? I know that american in lima didn't need a name change either, yet they instisted I change my name. It was a hassle and very annoying. Double annoying, since I already HAD two last names and now I have three :roll:
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names

I have seen another Dutch ( also male ) who got a DNI, and he also didn't have a mothersname printed on it. But as far as I know the reason is that on the Titulo their is no mothersname printed on it, ( and also not on my old CE ), and as the requirement to get a DNI is ONLY the Titulo ( with the copy of a bill, and a passphoto ) they could not demand of you to show a document with your mothersname on it. You fight them with their own rules, no?
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm

fanning wrote:
Maybe it's because you're men that you didn't need both names

I have seen another Dutch ( also male ) who got a DNI, and he also didn't have a mothersname printed on it. But as far as I know the reason is that on the Titulo their is no mothersname printed on it, ( and also not on my old CE ), and as the requirement to get a DNI is ONLY the Titulo ( with the copy of a bill, and a passphoto ) they could not demand of you to show a document with your mothersname on it. You fight them with their own rules, no?

Yeah, I tried. I'm starting to think it's because I'm a woman. My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

My passport and CE had "father's name, de husband's name"

I DID fight it. That's what ticks me off. They basically said, "you have to add your mother's last name or you can't become Peruvian" and peopel wonder why I'm living in Korea now . . .

I had to sign a horribly printed out paper which stated my mother's last name on my father's last name. The INVENTED a name for me. Plain and simple. They don't know their own rules.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

So the problem was not RENIEC, but Migraciones ( Naturalizacion ) Already on your Titulo appears your mothersname. What document you had to show to Migraciones to proof your mothersname ? As the only requirement for the Titulo was a CE and a fresh copy of your marriage certificate ( which doesn't show your mothersname.. )
On a side note, when my (Peruvian) wife got her Dutch nationality, she was called Maria Dominguez Suarez de Holandia, so for Dutch authorities her 'maidenname' was 'Dominguez Suarez de Holandia', so then her married name became 'Holandia - Dominguez Suarez de Holandia'. We had to ask the Queen of Holland for a namechange, so it became 'Holandia - Dominguez'. ( That queens approval was a standard application though .. )
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

What's the need to have your level of education accuarately recognized? My understanding is that its only purpose is to have you be chosen as the head of the mesa at elections... not a great way to spend a day.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 am

fanning wrote:
My titulo has "father's name, mother's name"

So the problem was not RENIEC, but Migraciones ( Naturalizacion ) Already on your Titulo appears your mothersname. What document you had to show to Migraciones to proof your mothersname ? As the only requirement for the Titulo was a CE and a fresh copy of your marriage certificate ( which doesn't show your mothersname.. )

Right, immigrations. Immigrations just MADE UP a new MAIDEN name for me. Anyways, like I said, I arged with them. Their "logic" was that America forced you to have only ONE last name. Despite the fact that my passport, social security, and driver's license ALL had TWO last names, they wouldn't budge.

They made me sign a horribly printed paper that listed both my parents's full names. I had orginally listed my mom's married name, but didn't want to be "smith smith" for example.

I had to show them my birth cert, so my parents' names are on there as well.

THEN at RENEIC, you USED to be able to be
"father's last name, de husband's last name"

BUT NO, now you're either
"father, mother" OR "father, mother, de husband"

As to the degree issue in RENEIC: I brought my original diploma in SPANISH. And they wouldn't accept it either. They did however, put me down as having a BA, but not an MA. The fact that RENEIC even HAS to know my education level is a whole different story. And from what I hear, my hsuabnd now says that RENIEC will be issuing passports as well . . .
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 am

What's the need to have your level of education accuarately recognized? My understanding is that its only purpose is to have you be chosen as the head of the mesa at elections... not a great way to spend a day.

Which is exactly why we didn't push it. That said, it occasionally has its uses, such as fooling people into thinking I know what I'm talking about.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Another thing I like to add to this thread.
If you have your DNI and you were already a Gerente General of a Peruvian company you need to change your document also in your company. How do you do that ..
- You have a "Libro de Actas", and you hold a Junta Universal de Accionistas, in which you specify three things:
1. The Gerente General changes his document from a CE to a DNI, mentioning all the numbers
2. As your Constitucion de empresa will mention your CE, you will need to mention in the Acta that you modify the document of the Gerente to a DNI
3. The Gerente General will register the Acta in the Registros publicos

- Then with this Acta you go to a notario and have him take a copia CERTIFICADA ( that is a bit more official than a copia legalizada )

- That copia certificada you take to Registros Publicos and register the modification.

- Once you get it registered, you take a 'copia literal' of your inscription, and take it first to Sunat ( take a simple copy of your copia literal ), and change your document there. You will get a fresh 'Ficha RUC' with the modified DNI.

- Go to your bank, and change your document there, presenting the Ficha RUC and the original 'copia literal'.. ( only the business account needs this paperwork )

Isn't it nice, doing all this burocracy .. :(

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register