Australians in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
estayte

Australians in Lima

Postby estayte » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am

I have just arrived in Lima - yesterday actually - and I'm wanting to know if there is an Australian association here through which fellow Aussies meet up regularly. In other places I've lived there have been social and also business associations but I haven't been able to find anything like that on the internet about Lima. Would be keen to start something up if there's nothing going at the moment.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Australians in Lima

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for opening this thread. I hope that this will become a place that Australians can connect with one another.

G´day
sussbell

Postby sussbell » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:32 am

Hi, My name is Jennifer, we are moving to Lima in February with our 3 children so I was very excited to see a group for Aussies. I would love to catch up when we get there.

Any hints or tips on helping with a smooth transition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jen
emma36

Postby emma36 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:25 am

Hi.....I'm Emma. I'm moving to Lima next week and would love to meet up with other Aussies living in Lima.
I lived in Lima before but only for a short time. Im really looking forward to coming back and meeting lots of people.....
estayte

Postby estayte » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 pm

I think what we need to do is organise a time and place to get as many Aussies together as possible. Perhaps it could be a monthly thing ..... might start small but I'm sure if people have a good time when they come it will grow! Any thoughts on a date and place for the first one?
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Hey guys, I'd be happy to have a meet up. I work through the week, but can generally find a few free hours most evenings and weekends.

I think the idea of making a specific time and place and then seeing who's available is a good idea. Saying that, I'm pretty rubbish at organising things, but here's what I'm thinking. For the first meeting, why not pick somewhere fairly well-known? Maybe meeting somewhere outside Larco Mar in Miraflores? This weekend or next?

Told you I was rubbish at these things.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm not Australian, but wanted to give y'all some advice on arranging a meet-up.

Unless you plan on having a big flag or a sign or... everybody wear a green shirt.. or SOMETHING that helps you recognize each other, be careful about arranging your meet up somewhere that a lot of gringos hang out!

We've had a couple of coffee get togethers in Miraflores that fell apart because we couldn't find each other. :lol:
ozziej

Postby ozziej » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 pm

G'day-
We've (family w/ 2 young daughters) have been here for about 4 months now- would definitely like to meet up. Also wondering about a possible venue for the grand final in a few weeks time... I believe that it's being carried on ESPN (US channel)...
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, Kelly, much appreciated I'm sure!

We could always pick a random street corner and then go from there? I live in Miraflores, but more than willing to meet up anywhere more convenient for people.

ozziej, possibly the best bet for the grand final is The Corner? It's a US sports bar on Larco. I reckon they could find a tv to put it on. Otherwise, may be safest to watch at home? Something like that may, if we're lucky, be screened on one of the sport channels.
estayte

Postby estayte » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:00 pm

OK EVERYONE LET´S TRY A GET TOGETHER!!!

How about the English Pub in Miraflores on Friday 1st October at pm? Spread the word. My husband and I are both very blonde so look out for us!!!! Please spread the word and w´ll see how we go with numbers!
sydney2lima

Postby sydney2lima » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi! I'm Claudia and have been living in Lima for about 5 months... it would be great to meet you all at the English Pub on Friday 3rd of October ?pm.

first time Ive come across this site and what joy it is to see that there are Aussies in Lima. Hope we can make this a regular thing. Thanks for arranging it.

See you soon!
j3tun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby j3tun » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm

G'day all you Ozzys,

There a quite a few Ozzy companies here in Lima that have folks from back home working here and also Daniel, Consul here is a pretty sociable guy and has a lovely wife so you should get in contact with the Consulate in San Isidro. This year we organized a cricket match on Australia Day and there were also other celebrations going on. If anyone is interested in cricket the season will soon be starting again.

I work with a lot of you guys here in Lima and I am also one of the organizers of this years Caledonian Ball.

As many of you Ozzys have Scottish Heritage I thought you might be interested.

Its a great night out if you guys want to get yourselves organized with a couple of tables.

Its a black tie gala event at the Swissotel on 20th November. We have great food including Haggis, dancing...and another great Ozzy pastime that you share with us Scots...DRINKING.

Tickets are 150 soles a head and this is the first time this year we have put out any info so get in early.

PM me if you want to know more or reserve tickets.

Jamie
vikingdan

Postby vikingdan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi there,

I am the consul general for Australia here in Peru. Great to see so many aussies keen to mingle! We do have events around Australia day but once the embassy starts up (later this year) we will have more capacity to organise events. It woudl be easier if there was an aussie bar.

As a St. kilda fan, I'm pretty keen to watch the big game. Any updates on where the GF is playing would be appreciated and I hope to meet some of you.

Thanks, Dan

PS/ Sorry to be a bore, but Peru has a high risk of earthquakes, so please register with the consulate/embassy when you get a chance!

PPS/ we found a place to get tim tams and also a distributor of D'Arenberg wines if interested
M.Lockwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby M.Lockwood » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I am one of 6 young lads who have just arrived from the UK for a year or two in Lima, and we're itching to meet some other gringo's!
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

The Good Companions are having auditions for their Christmas pantomime tonight. Even if you don't want to be in the show, it's a great chance to meet expats and English-speaking folk!

We will be meeting tonight and next Thursday in the hall of the Church of the Good Shepherd (corner of Av. Sta Cruz and Pardo y Aliaga, two blocks away from the Ovalo Gutierrez - place where there is a TGIF, Wongs and cinemas).

Auditions start at 8, but the bar will be open from 7:30pm. Prices are 4 soles a beer, 5 soles wine (red and white) and free soft drinks!
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:38 am

Can an American join you all?
ozziej

Postby ozziej » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:08 am

Grand Final Update:

Looks like it's everyone vs the pies this year!

The usfooty website says that the GF will be broadcast on ESPN2, ESPN classic, and something called espn3.com.

I think cablemagico broadcasts ESPN2?

Dying for a mclaren shiraz... can I get that contact?

John
estayte

Postby estayte » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:42 pm

DON'T FORGET TO SPREAD THE WORD!
AUSSIE GET TOGETHER AT THE ENGLISH PUB
FRIDAY 1ST OCTOBER 8PM.
ALL NATIONALITIES WELCOME OFCOURSE BUT IF YOU CAN BYO AUSSIE IT WOULD BE GOOD!!!! :P
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:55 am

Can you drink on that day because of the elections?
Vinocorp

Postby Vinocorp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 pm

ozziej wrote:Grand Final Update:

The usfooty website says that the GF will be broadcast on ESPN2, ESPN classic, and something called espn3.com.

John

Isnt it always Pies vs The Rest.
Lets hope ESPN2 in Peru has it.
Last edited by Vinocorp on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinocorp

Postby Vinocorp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:23 pm

ozziej wrote:Grand Final Update:

John

G'day OzzieJ

We can assist you here (cheers Dan).
We've currently got 3 Aussie Vineyards in our Portfolio with more to follow soon

Out of MCLaren Vale (d'Arenberg) we have 2 typed of Shiraz plus a Shiraz/Grenacge blend and a GSM
From Punt Road wines in the lovely Yarra Valley we have a Shiraz Viognier
From Langhorne Creek from the the Follet family Vineyard "Lake Breeze Wines" we have The Bullant Cabernet Merlot (winner of the 2009 Sydney WIne SHow best red <$20) and their FLagship "Bernoota" Shiraz Cab blend winner of numerous medals world wide for the past 21 vintages.

We can deliver to home or office during business hours - Mon - Sat
Minimum purchase 1 dozen - straight or mixed
Prices range from S/. 29 - S/. 50

For a list of prices send us an email to vcastro(at)vinocorpperu(dot)com or dfield(at)vinocorpperu(dot)com
Cell: 995 833 817 - Vivian or David

cheers
Last edited by Vinocorp on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vikingdan

Postby vikingdan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 pm

OK, will try and get to english pub friday 8 pm. Will try and wear something australian.

I am on a mission to watch the GF. It starts around midnight on ESPN2 (in the US) but not sure that means it will be on ESPN2 here in Peru.

The D'arenberg connection is David Field - Vinocorp (Peru) <[email protected]>. They can deliver to your office as well but email him for a price list.
Vinocorp

Postby Vinocorp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 pm

vikingdan wrote:OK, will try and get to english pub friday 8 pm. Will try and wear something australian.

I am on a mission to watch the GF. It starts around midnight on ESPN2 (in the US) but not sure that means it will be on ESPN2 here in Peru.

The D'arenberg connection is David Field - Vinocorp (Peru) <[email protected]>. They can deliver to your office as well but email him for a price list.

Dan, if its not on ESPN2 here in Peru and youre desperate to see it you can pay $3 to watch in online at

www(dot)xmeforums(dot)com

Payment is fast & secure and the stream is perfect (depending on your peruvian internet connection)
My nextel is too slow unfortunately so I will be listening online

First bounce is at 11:30pm

cheers
David
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Dan, if its not on ESPN2 here in Peru and youre desperate to see it you can pay $3 to watch in online at

www(dot)xmeforums(dot)com

Payment is fast & secure and the stream is perfect (depending on your peruvian internet connection)

Why would you pay pirates for something that you can get free? If you can't find a place to watch it...

firstrow.net is free and great.
sopcast is another free option and excellent as well.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
stranger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stranger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 am

Hi guys, I should be fine to meet up, but yeah, with the dry weekend because of the election, will we the pub even be open?

In other news, interesting result with the AFL, I'm looking forward to the re-play. But more importantly for those of us who grew up in League territory, Dragons and Roosters this weekend, not really sure who I like for the win there...
jool
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jool » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:27 am

Dear Auzies in Lima,

LADIES CRICKET!!!! Come tomorrow night to the Lima Cricket Club and find out more, even if only through idle curiosity. It is a great way to meet other expats. 7.30, good English Pub and I guarantee there'll be at least one other Auzzie. Address and other details at this website http://www.clublimacricket.com/
See you there.

Juliet
sydney2lima

Postby sydney2lima » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:01 am

I'm sorry I missed out. Hope you guys had a good time. When is the next Aussie get together? Hopefully this month?
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey guys!

Young Australian family moving to Lima (Magdelena) in April 2011.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope we get another meet-up happening after we arrive.

Nate
Maximisses

Postby Maximisses » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 am

Hi everyone.

My partner and I are in Lima till February. We are in the process of starting a business here.

Is there any meet ups to celebrate Australia Day?
Last edited by Maximisses on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

vikingdan wrote:
PPS/ we found a place to get tim tams.......if interested

Holy moly........donde?????
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am

Maximisses wrote:Hi everyone.

My partner and I are in Lima till February. We are in the process of starting a business here and my partner is going through the residency process.

Is there any meet ups to celebrate Australia Day?

Hi, and welcome to ExpatPeru!

I too would be interested in any p*ssups on Australia Day (Go Straylya!)
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Well this lot went down in a screaming heap pretty quick. Lost interest over the AFL without a murmur, obviously all ABC followers (like my good self) and didn't make it past the post for Australia Day.
At least I hope it was the wine that brought you's all undone, I'd hate to think you all went to water over the Tim Tams. I admit I was nearly floored when I spotted a bottle of Banrock Station in Plaza Vea in Brena recently.

I thought I would revive this post with some news I am trying to confirm. Fosters are supposed to be about to break into South America. A few local coldies or tinnies might be all the go, if it turns out to be true. Don't know if anyone else around the place has heard about it. If anyone has heard anything, might send a few shivers down the spine in anticipation if you can share it around. Or if anyone has a contact that might have an ear to the ground.

Will not make any remarks about THE DAY in September, because all is not looking well for many of us, so I will leave it at that for the moment and say..come on the ABC's.

Ahhhhhhh can jus bout taste it all tha way down to th boots.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

TonyLeslie wrote:
I thought I would revive this post with some news I am trying to confirm. Fosters are supposed to be about to break into South America. A few local coldies or tinnies might be all the go, if it turns out to be true. Don't know if anyone else around the place has heard about it. If anyone has heard anything, might send a few shivers down the spine in anticipation if you can share it around. Or if anyone has a contact that might have an ear to the ground.

It makes sense if the South Africans are able to buyout Fosters, as they already have distribution in Lima with Peroni!
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 am

Aussies! Welcome to Peru and I hope you are able to organize many successful meet-ups. A pint of Foster's sounds pretty good, though I won't be terribly disappointed if you forget to bring the Vegemite. :wink:
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 am

Polaron wrote:Aussies! Welcome to Peru and I hope you are able to organize many successful meet-ups. A pint of Foster's sounds pretty good, though I won't be terribly disappointed if you forget to bring the Vegemite. :wink:

The vegemite? You mean you have never packed half a dozen sao's with butter, vegemite, strong chedder cheese and topped with a pickled onion, together with a couple of cold stubbies for breakfast on a Saturday? Delicious. Then off to the local pub for a quick social call before heading off to the football for a couple of four & twenties or snags topped with a "bita red orse". Ahh the good old days, and whoa betide any opposition supporters who came near us with a bit of cheek, we would give them a good whiff of something in return as well. There are times I think people only eat these things on bread or toast and miss out on the aroma of one the national icons. In any case, it's owned by the yanks now.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:38 am

I wouldn't mind trying Vegemite prepared with those ingredients, mate. :D
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
jasminemw

Postby jasminemw » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 am

I'm not sure if this post is still alive but I am Australian and relocating to Peru in November. Is anyone aware of any Australian expat networking/socialising groups in Lima? Any help here would be most appreciated. Jasmine
gundaroo

Postby gundaroo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 am

Hi!
Any ideas were we can celebrate Australia day this Saturday??
Rugby Bar has an event but im not sure is family orientated.. Need to take the kids..

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register