How to buy a used car in Tacna?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

How to buy a used car in Tacna?

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I have heard that there are some great deals for used cars in Tacna. Anyone have details please please please share! Pretty please!

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How to buy a used car in Tacna?

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:18 am

This is a common topic. Do a search for USED CARS and you will find at least 5 threads.

Gook luck and be careful. There are some good cars at good bargains, but you have to weary of crooked vendors.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 am

i bought a car from tacna a few years ago , i think i said how to do it somewere else on this forum if not ask me and i will tell you how i did it ,be prepared to get the bus to tacna 18 hours and then drive the car home another 18 hours drive and it will be the most dangerous drive of your life :)
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:22 am

ok i found the post here it is :)
we got a toyota corolla from tacna a couple of years ago , we went to tacna by bus and we took it in turns to drive it home, i would suggest on flying to tacna as the bus drivers to tend to want to over take on corners so if you are nervious dont take a bus ,
there were lots of cars to choose from so as long as you know what you are doing or have a mechanic you will be ok, our car was a japanese import with a body kit and black windows price in lima $6500 bought in tacna $4000
unless you get permission for the black windows the police will keep stopping you and will only let you go if you slip them some money,so avoid cars with black windows or get permision paper work , also you will get stopped several times by police at different check points, mind you this was a couple of years ago it might be different now, when you are in tacna you might get people come up to you and offer to drive your car back to lima, i would not want any stranger to drive my car might not see it again,you have two choices you can drive it back yourself or they have transporters that will take it for you, we got the paper work which allowed us to drive car for 2 days with out plates then you have to get new licence plates and sort out all the paper work

also make sure you keep it in a garage when you are not using it, if you dont have a garage a lot or people will rent theirs out for a small fee, i say this because we got back home and did not have a garage and left it out at night and someone tried to get in the car with a screwdriver they failed and this was a street with a security guard, and when you go out and park it pay some one a few sole to look after it for you, or you will find they will steal your car for parts

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register