experiences with resident price on lan.com

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

experiences with resident price on lan.com

Postby uwwgal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 pm

so, I have always bought the resident priced plane tickets on LAN.com (I am a legal resident...) and I have never once had anyone from LAN ask to see my CE or for any sort of verification that I am a resident. Has anyone actually ever had their CE checked when traveling on LAN within Peru?

Katie
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: experiences with resident price on lan.com

Postby americorps » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Yes, in fact there have been complaints filed with INDECOPI as well because of it. It was noted some months ago in the Commercio.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 pm

They only asked me a document that shows that I am a resident.

I always show my driving licence. They acidentally typed by nationality Peruana on my driving licence.

So, I fly cheap with them too.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:02 pm

I think they quietly switched to the old system, where there were no restrictions for non-residents, but you couldn't buy ticket with non-Peruvian credit card. I fly quite often, never had CE checked, but lately couldn't pay for the ticket with Australian credit card (and I tried 2 different ones, both 'verified' visa and mastercard), although several months ago bought several tickets with the very same card. Now I book online and pay at Plaza Vea, which is easy and works just fine. And when self checking in at the kiosk in Lima, it asks for the nationality, I put Australian all the time and there were no issues, no questions about Peruvian residency.
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:46 am

Mmmmmm. Good idea, paying with my Peruvian bank account....
chane
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm

mahou123 wrote:I think they quietly switched to the old system, where there were no restrictions for non-residents, but you couldn't buy ticket with non-Peruvian credit card. I fly quite often, never had CE checked, but lately couldn't pay for the ticket with Australian credit card (and I tried 2 different ones, both 'verified' visa and mastercard), although several months ago bought several tickets with the very same card. Now I book online and pay at Plaza Vea, which is easy and works just fine. And when self checking in at the kiosk in Lima, it asks for the nationality, I put Australian all the time and there were no issues, no questions about Peruvian residency.

Are you checking bags or do you just do carry-on?
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 pm

chane wrote:
mahou123 wrote:I think they quietly switched to the old system, where there were no restrictions for non-residents, but you couldn't buy ticket with non-Peruvian credit card. I fly quite often, never had CE checked, but lately couldn't pay for the ticket with Australian credit card (and I tried 2 different ones, both 'verified' visa and mastercard), although several months ago bought several tickets with the very same card. Now I book online and pay at Plaza Vea, which is easy and works just fine. And when self checking in at the kiosk in Lima, it asks for the nationality, I put Australian all the time and there were no issues, no questions about Peruvian residency.

Are you checking bags or do you just do carry-on?

Just carry on. But I´m pretty much sure they won´t make any trouble when you drop off the luggage. After all it doesn´t state anywhere on boarding pass or the booking confirmation what tariff is that. On booking confirmation, it states: ´resticciones de viaje para la tarifa: sin restricciones´. And you can check in online and go to the airport with a boarding pass already printed. People who check your documents and boarding pass before security surely can´t know how much you paid for your ticket.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:17 pm

I am surprised some of you seem to imply (not totally clear?) that you are flying Lans resident flights and not showing any residency?
I am a resident, but I do notice that the warnings about the extra fee are still EVERYWHERE on the Lan site. I am ALWAYS asked for my CE.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:44 am

A much simpler solution is to fly Star Peru, Peruvian Airlines or Taca if possible, or be prepared to pay a hefty fee and if you try to bypass Lan's gringo fee, be prepared to pay $187.50 in fines per segment in case you get caught.
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:49 am

Is this just for flights in Peru? What about for Chile?
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 am

I find "gringo fee" a bit misleading.
A fine could be levied on anyone claiming to be a resident of Peru to thereby take advantage of LANs gracious offer to Peruvian residents to travel at reduced rates. To date, however, there is no evidence of anyone ever having to pay that fine. A few may have slipped through the cracks but the ones that get caught will probably find themselves delayed and asked to pay the correct fare. If it is determined that person was actually trying to cheat LAN, then that person may very well might have to pay a fine. I do not think it is a good idea to try and cheat LAN and Peruvian residents by trying to take advantage of LANs generous offer to Peruvian residents.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 pm

PTTurboe,

Those are only for flights starting and finishing within the Country and Peru.

Though Lan also does this now for flights starting and finishing within the country of Argentina as well and I understand they will soon be doing the same within Chile and Colombia.

Iron Butterfly, you are mistaken.

There have been people fined and complaints have been filed with INDECOPI, it was documented some months ago in the Commercio,
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks...
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:29 pm

I *AM* a resident. I have been for a year and a half... with my CE and everything. I was just wondering about ppl's experiences with it... since it has been quite a "controversial" issue amongst the expats here. I don't think it's okay, honestly, that they charge different rates based on nationality / residency. I know they do it in other places as well, and I don't really think that's okay either. But oh well!
Katie

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register