Getting a Peruvian Driver's License?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Getting a Peruvian Driver's License?

Postby Remigius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

In the past, foreigners were exempt from the driving test if they had a current driver’s license from their home country.

As far as I can remember I had to show my international driving license, not my national one, to skip the driving test. En fin, if you manage to fail the driving test (and I know many who have), you shouldn't even touch a steering wheel.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 pm

I actually went to the trouble of getting an international licence, but thay accepted my UK one. They had a huge book to reference against so I guess it varies from country to country as to what is required. Probably something to do with a proven ability to drive on the "wrong" side of the road :-)
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:18 pm

my sister in law failed the driving test three times in peru...She was taking it so that she could get her international licence and come to the U.S...she eventually passed though...I don't know how hard it is, but when she came to the U.S. and I was teaching her how to drive around L.A., I decided that she should not have her licence and only after spending about 30 hrs in the car with her do i feel somewhat satisfied with her ability. I am still very anxious, though.

Seriously the fact that she could even pass the test makes me very very uneasy.....
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:22 pm

viernes wrote:my sister in law failed the driving test three times in peru...She was taking it so that she could get her international licence and come to the U.S...she eventually passed though...I don't know how hard it is, but when she came to the U.S. and I was teaching her how to drive around L.A., I decided that she should not have her licence and only after spending about 30 hrs in the car with her do i feel somewhat satisfied with her ability. I am still very anxious, though.

Seriously the fact that she could even pass the test makes me very very uneasy.....

In Peru you can basically go for your exam any time you want. Theoretically you could give it a shot without even having been in car :D The actual exam is on a closed circuit somewhere at the beaches instead of in the city where people actually will drive. You come with your own (manual or automatic) car (most likely one of a relative) and basically need to complete the track without wrecking your car :) If you're lousy at parking your car, you might get lucky if the person next to you crashes during parking, because he/she will draw the attention away from you.

My sis-in-law actually got taken of the circuit for the first time because she was a danger to the others. A couple of weeks later she tried again and managed to get her driving license (for some reason God only may know), because of an incident as described in my previous paragraph. The result? First time in a car alone she bumped another car on the Via Expresa and had to drive to the end of the Via because she was afraid to take an exit that went uphill as she had never learned how to stand still on a slope and then continue using the handbrake.

Now you know what kind of amateurs are driving around in Lima and the reason why their cars have bumps and dents all over.

Moral of the story? If you fail your driving exam in Lima, you ought to get shot for even trying to get behind a steering wheel.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Well, I'm one that failed my driving exam. Not for lack of experience, but for refusing to rent one of their ticos for the exam. My car was too big to fit into the parallel parking space, so they automatically failed me. I gave them a piece of my mind and got my international license instead.

I'd rather buy a new international license every year rather than give into extortion. It's like being at a Disney race track and shouldn't even be considered a serious or legitimate test of your driving aptitude.

Don't even get me started on the combi driver exam. All they have to do is go in circles as fast as they can (literally) w/out tipping the bus over to pass.

As far as my driving in Lima, I never ran into a pedestrian or wrecked another vehicle. I guess they only give licenses to questionable drivers.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am

I have only driven once in Lima as a favor for someone else. I don't have any desire to drive in Lima.
but yeah, its funny. My sister in Law supposedly learned to drive on a stick for a few weeks in Lima
then when she came to the states just a couple weeks after she got her license, I was practicing with her, and honestly I have lots of friends who I've taught to drive stick who had never driven but understood the idea of it, that drove much better their first time then she did when we went out.

anyways.....i have no plans to drive in Lima. I'll call a cab and wrap myself in Bubble wrap I guess.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 pm

I am actually going through the process now. I decided to sit through educational driving classes for three nights instead of taking the written test in order to save time studying. I have been driving for 20 years. Normally, I would be fine driving with my international license in Peru which I have done the whole time here, but I made the mistake of not taking care of my drivers license before becoming a Peruvian citizen.

Pretty hard to show your international license with your Peruvian DNI. LOL.

So these classes, are a complete waste of time. I can now understand truly why people drive so poorly here based on this class I am taking.

For three hours tonight, the "professor" if you can call him that...talked about Kouri, Garcia and Lourdes... Every hour, he would come up with some story related to driving...Really odd.Disgrace to teachers. In the end, he mentioned a couple of books during his speech that changed his life.....and at the end of the class, he sold those books to students. Unbelievable!

I am lucky that I know how to drive, but what a shame for people that need to learn how traffic works.

If you can, get your Peruvian driver's license with your carnet as you will just have to take the written part and they exonerate the driving test as long as you have a valid license in another country along with your international license.

Since I am now "Peruvian", I need to take the driving test and either do the written test or in my case, take educational driving credits. Lesson learned.
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am

At Touring you can buy the rules book. It's in fact a great read, because the rules are in fact a good mixture between American and European rules. Only a pity that nobody here follows them and that includes driving instructors w/wo students.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am

What a hassle.
Only in Lima they ask for CE or DNI

In Tarapoto, I had to go 2 days to classes. 2 times 2 hours and after the last class, there`s a small exam with 20 questions. You have to score at least 16.

Then you have to go to the practical test. On a volleyball field, you have to drive around traffic cones.
If you pass the test, you can collect your driving licence 2 days later.
Cost: 65 soles including medical exam.

Documents required : passport or any ID document from another country and proof of address.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:01 pm

The med exam was also hilarious. I don't think the doctor ever look up from his newspaper during the examination.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 pm

What a hassle.
Only in Lima they ask for CE or DNI

Not true. I got my license in Pucallpa and you can NOT do it with a passport, CE or DNI only.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:05 am

George.
Thanks for the info re Carnet v DNI when applying for your Peruvian driving license.
With that in mind I went today to make inquiries, as my application for citizenship is already lodged.
I only need to take the written exam, and I can take it in English. I bought all the rule books and exam manuals but they are only available in Spanish. I've just finished scouring the net for info in English but, no joy.
Question. Does anyone know if there's any English material available before I start the long process of translation, though this is probably a good way of learning if needs must.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 am

George.
Thanks for the info re Carnet v DNI when applying for your Peruvian driving license.
With that in mind I went today to make inquiries, as my application for citizenship is already lodged.
I only need to take the written exam, and I can take it in English. I bought all the rule books and exam manuals but in Spanish. I've just finished scouring the net looking for info in English but, no joy.
Question..... Does anyone know if there's any English material available before I start the long process of translation, though this is probably a good way of learning the rules and regulations if needs must.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:55 am

markr wrote:George.
I only need to take the written exam, and I can take it in English. I bought all the rule books and exam manuals but in Spanish. I've just finished scouring the net looking for info in English but, no joy.
Question..... Does anyone know if there's any English material available before I start the long process of translation, though this is probably a good way of learning the rules and regulations if needs must.

Mark:

Definitely easier doing it with a carnet. I took my driver's test yesterday and on the first shot and passed. They group you with 20 people and then all at once, everyone takes the test together. I had the guy in front of me going so slow, that he almost made me stop in the middle of the pedestrian walkway which would have made me fail.

Besides knowing how to drive, you also have the variable element of other drivers. I used my wits and was able to pass. I could have failed quite frankly since they have their way of what is correct and not. Also after having been driving so long since I was 16, keeping your hands pegged on "10 and 2" is more difficult than it seems as I needed to consciously keep my both hands on the wheel.

Parking: I learned how to parallel park in NYC, so during my test yesterday, I parallel parked in one step, which I guess, isn't the way they want. In theory, the graders shouldn't say anything, but he used common sense which was a gift and let me know that I needed to park in two steps (I straightened my car out as a second step :)....

Complete waste of time which was my fault. If I had only done my drivers license paper work when I had my carnet, I would have saved time and money. Luckily, I got the license out of the way, which I won't have to renew until 2018.
Regards,

George
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:42 pm

For those of you with a good grasp of Spanish, and the bottle to drive in Lima, here is a link that my sister in law sent me.
http://www.inkagames.com/simulacro_exam ... anejo.html
Assuming no one knows of a similar site in English, I'll now start cut and pasting it into Tradukka.
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I got my Peruvian DL using my DNI and did not have to take the driving test. Did it in September. The key is that I still have a valid foreign license. It is true the Peruvian auhorities require a written certification that the license is still valid. I got that from the California DMV internet site. My friend did the same thing for his State of Washington DL.

In order to prove secondary education I had to bring my original college degree along with two copies. Didn't expect that. It required a trip from Lince back to my dept in Barranco. Overall, I found the process very professional and courteous.
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yoenlima » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Rob, did you have to purchase the official Driver Record Request (purchased from the DMV) or did the system generated one worked.
-Yoenlima
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I had to purchase it, but it was only a small fee, after which I could print it out here locally and present it in Lince.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi
I am confused PLEASE HELP. I have a CE but my Spanish is very poor and my reading and writing is worst. I have a valid NYS drivers lic. still good. Can I take the written part of the exam in English or does it have to be taken in Spanish? Where do I go to get the schooling is the schooling required? Where do yo go for a Physical and Psych check up? What else do I have to do to get a real Peru drivers lic? PLEASE HELP if you know.
Thank you VERY much Bobby. :D
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm

rgbjr wrote:Hi
I am confused PLEASE HELP. I have a CE but my Spanish is very poor and my reading and writing is worst. I have a valid NYS drivers lic. still good. Can I take the written part of the exam in English or does it have to be taken in Spanish? Where do I go to get the schooling is the schooling required? Where do yo go for a Physical and Psych check up? What else do I have to do to get a real Peru drivers lic? PLEASE HELP if you know.
Thank you VERY much Bobby. :D

It is only in Spanish. You can have a translator, but they can't help you answer the questions. I did mine without a translator, it isn't that difficult.
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 pm

There is a version in English, but don't take it. My friend tried and the translations were so bad that he failed. I passed the Spanish version with 100 per cent. There is no writing or speaking. It is just reading and answering multiple choice questions. The test is on a computer terminal. They give you up to 40 questions. A soon as you get 30 correct you are done! It is very organized and super efficient. I am speaking of the Lince location. Cannot speak for other spots. The good thing is they give you the universe of 200 questions from which they select here...

http://www.mtc.gob.pe/portal/normas_tra ... OTARIO.pdf

Study these and you will be golden. If the Spanish intimidates, there is one simple answer. Learn Spanish. I learned in my 50's. In my opinion, one cannot really enjoy living in Peru without speaking Spanish. This is not Panama or Costa Rica where you find a lot of English-speaking people. There are no English Barrios here equivalent to Little Havana in Miami etc. Unless one speaks Spanish here one can never be independent, self-reliant, confident and at home in Peru. In this technological age, there is no excuse not to learn, IMO.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 pm

There is a version in English, but don't take it.

Must be different here in Pucallpa. They only had the test in Spanish.

If the Spanish intimidates, there is one simple answer. Learn Spanish.

I couldn't agree more, learn Spanish! I am getting better everyday. It is easier to do in a province, there are few English speakers here. My wife and I only speak Spanish at home. The only time I speak English now is when I am teaching.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 am

RobB wrote:There is a version in English, but don't take it. My friend tried and the translations were so bad that he failed.

Exactly the reason I did my test in Spanish. The only thing that got me into trouble here and there is the intricate way of phrasing. Peruvians can't write "What does it mean if you horizontally stick your hand out of the window", no, they dedicate a whole paragraph to explain such action.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 am

I've been told that the waivers for the driving test depend on your home country. Does anyone know if that is true? I am American, and I would like to get my Peruvian license so that I can drive here legally and not have to worry about carrying my passport (or copy) around whenever I would drive. I'm going home for Christmas, and I can get an international license when I'm there if it indeed speeds up the process.

Thanks!
Katie
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Any US license is fine. Just get a print out of some kind that explains your driving record and that your license is still valid. Some states let you do this from the internet, but if you're going back you can for sure get a written copy of your driving record. An international license is a misnomer. It gives no rights to drive. It is merely an official translation of one's home country drivers license and is without value without that. From what I have seen, an international drivers license is of no value here. Although I always had my international license available, just in case, what the police were interested in was the original, country's license, and the question always was "how long have you been in the country?". On a routine traffic stop, you can fudge and say less than six months, but in case of an accident or failing a breathalyzer (yes there are many routine checks here and the standard is lower than the US), a person would be majorly screwed without a valid Peruvian license.
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Remigius wrote:
RobB wrote:There is a version in English, but don't take it. My friend tried and the translations were so bad that he failed.

Exactly the reason I did my test in Spanish. The only thing that got me into trouble here and there is the intricate way of phrasing. Peruvians can't write "What does it mean if you horizontally stick your hand out of the window", no, they dedicate a whole paragraph to explain such action.

For sure. The good thing is that you can study beforehand all the possible questions. This is much better than studying a drivers handbook or some other compilation of the rules. The other great thing is that while you are taking the test you know exactly where you stand, i.e. whether you got the last answer right. It is really a very efficient and fair system (at least at the Lince site in Lima -- my only point of reference).
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 pm

From personal experience, once you get your CE, you are bound by Peruvian law to get your Peruvian driver's license. The 6 month deal is only if you are here as a tourist.

I was stopped at a traffic checkpoint and produced my US driver's license, SOAT and my CE. I was told as soon as I got my CE, I was no longer allowed to drive on my US issued license. I was in no position to argue with the officer and apologized for my ignorance of the law. He was quite pleased with my attitude and told me to drive straight home and not to drive again until I had my license. I went the next day and started the process.
I found it to be inexpensive and pretty easy. Yet another reason to learn Spanish. I am glad I was able to have a conversation with him and be on my way.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:40 am

Ok, thanks! So skip getting the international license... and get a copy of my driving record and a statement saying my license is valid? Should it be a certified copy or does it not really matter? I´m assuming both need to be translated?

Assuming I get both documents and I have my license - I just would have to have the medical exam and take the written exam?
Katie
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RobB » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Based on my one data point of experience, I just needed one thing, a current, official paper that says my license is still valid. In the case of Calif, I just got a copy of my driving record and it had enough data and colored logos to make them happy. I did not have to translate it. Just bring two copies along with the original.

You can get the medical exam around the corner on the same block in Lince. When they accept your foreign license (which they should), there will be no need to take a driving test.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register