The Centro Comercial without money

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Centro Comercial without money

Postby americorps » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 pm

I just got back from visiting the new Centro Comercial at Angamos with Marsano in the San Borja/Surquillo area.

It is beautiful. A giant indoor water feature, escalators with ramps instead of steps for carts (that, for some reason they do not allow carts to go on???) A giant cinema with a HIGH DEF 3D screen (WOW!!!!!, IT IS AMAZING).

A giant Saga, a Giant Sodimac, a giant Tottus, Starbucks, crepes, just about anything you need.....except CASH.

Almost none of the business except the big 3 accept credit card.

There is not a single open bank in the center

And best of all, for a place that many of the stores only accept cash....

NOT A SINGLE AUTOMATIC TELLER MACHINE in the building. Not 1...not even inside the grocery store.

I was curious who was the Genio who put the cart before the horse. Found out, it was the municipality, in a way..at least according to one shop owner I spoke to.

She told me that the municipality pushed and shoved for the place to be open before elections. They felt it was important. They said that they came very short of threatening the stores to push up opening dates and there are rumors that they might have cut some corners on construction to appease the g-men. I am not saying anything dangerous happened, I do not know..but things were rushed. In fact...they did not even have time to set the extra lines required for credit card processing in most of the stores..hence the lack of accepting credit cards or ATM's.

There are big signs that say VISA in front of the giant Cine and many people, after up to 30 minutes standing in line that wound randomly through the tables of the food court, many found out that the Cine was just joking as they did NOT in fact accept Visa. (now, another whole thread should be opened just to discuss the nature of lines and line management in Peru).

Now, caty-corner to the mall, across very busy Angamos and again across very busy Marsano, there is a BCP ATM at the gas-station. And as the police watch and laugh as groups of shoppers try to dodge traffic and road construction to attempt to take out some cash from the BCP...no one even thinks that since everyone and their mother is running for that ATM, it is out of money...but it is.

Across Marsono, in a dark and unlit area and no cross walk, there is a Global Net at an Interbank that still functioned, but one wonders for how long.

Then, as we went running back into the centro comercial and back to the cine to wait again in the line, we run past the beautiful and very interesting water treatment and I fall flat on my hind end (I was not actually running, that would be unsafe) but as it ends up, the water splashes all over the floor around this fountain and they have to have someone there constantly mopping it.

All part of the adventure of living here, but I wonder sometimes what people are thinking when they push to do something half way instead of taking the time to do it right.
Last edited by americorps on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kelly

Re: The Centro Comercial without money

Postby Kelly » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 pm

It's amazing that it's finished already - the apartments in front of my old house are still under construction 4 years later. :/
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:32 am

americorps wrote:I just got back from visiting the new Centro Comercial at Angamos with Marsano in the San Borja/Surquillo area.

It is beautiful.

A giant Saga, a Giant Sodimac, a giant Tottus, Starbucks, crepes, just about anything you need.....except CASH.

Almost none of the business except the big 3 accept credit card.

There is not a single open bank in the center

And best of all, for a place that many of the stores only accept cash....

NOT A SINGLE AUTOMATIC TELLER MACHINE in the building. Not 1...not even inside the grocery store.

All part of the adventure of living here, but I wonder sometimes what people are thinking when they push to do something half way instead of taking the time to do it right.

I have been there twice in the last two weeks since opening (Sodimac) and we paid with our BCP debit card both times. I never carry lots of cash on me and I didn't notice the issue. The BCP is not done yet, and there are some things that are unfinished, some stores haven't moved in yet, so it doesn't surprise me that some stores don't have the credit card system in place yet. I am quite impressed with the mall. It sure beats going to Jockey Plaza. All in all, personally, I like the place. I was able to go to Casa y Cosas, Sodimac and Tottus all in 45 minutes. Like Kevin says....all part of the adventure living here.
Regards,

George
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:53 am

it is a very nice mall and I love the Cinema, especially the stadium seating and the high def screen.

And, as I mentioned in my post, the big 3 stores do take credit cards, Sodimac, Tottus and Saga, and a couple of the smaller stores, but most do not.

It has or will have a great food court and a lot of variety, but they still jumped the gun.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 pm

And it's super close to my house. :D
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:22 pm

what movie theater is there? i wanna go! :)
Katie
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 pm

It is a UVK.

Regular movies are on sale right now for 6 Soles.

3D movies are 19 Soles

High Def (they call XD) 3D movies are 23 Soles

It is on the top floor.

Again, the Centro Comercial is on the corner of Angamos and Marsano at the Surquillo/San Borja border
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Has anyone been recently? I was wondering if the Credit/Debit situation was fixed.

Thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register