Voting in the Elections on October 3 with your Carnet

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Voting in the Elections on October 3 with your Carnet

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:54 am

Dear Friends:

Not sure if my fellow expats were aware of this, but if you have had your Carnet for more than 2 years in Peru, you are allowed to vote in Municipal and Regional elections.

I do not know anything more that what the law states so if you need to figure out where to vote or what the process is you can call the ONPE (National Office of Elections and Processes) for more information.

Their phone number is:

ONPE (Oficina Nacional de Procesos Electorales)
Phone: 417-0630
Web: http://www.onpe.gob.pe/
Email:[email protected]

(Artículo 7 de la Ley de Elecciones Municipales (Ley N° 26864). Law Number: 26864, Article 7.
http://www.congreso.gob.pe/ntley/Imagenes/Leyes/26864.pdf

The law reads as follows: - Los extranjeros mayores de 18 años, residentes por más de dos años continuos previos a la elección, están facultados para elegir y ser elegidos, excepto en las municipalidades de frontera, siempre y cuando estén debidamente inscritos en el registro correspondiente. Para ejercer este derecho, el extranjero se identifica con su respectivo carné de extranjería.

Here is my "translation" of the law.
"Foreigners older than 18 years of age, residents with more than 2 consecutive years prior to the election, have the ability to elect (vote) and run for election, with the exception of border municipalities, provided they are properly registered. To exercise this right, the foreigner must show proof of his/her carnet."

I am voting for the first time but as a Peruvian, so with my DNI number, I have been allotted a specific voting area that I need to go to on October 3. Not sure how the process is for a foreigner, so you will need to call for more details.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Voting in the Elections on October 3 with your Carnet

Postby Remigius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:05 am

Watch out and don't go and vote too early. If your voting table has people missing, they'll pick the first one(s) to arrive as subs to spend there the whole day.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 am

I understand that voting is compulsory in Peru.

If you (as a Peruvian) did not vote what would be the sanctions?

Craig
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:13 am

craig wrote:I understand that voting is compulsory in Peru.

If you (as a Peruvian) did not vote what would be the sanctions?

Craig

You have to pay a fine for not voting. The height of the fine depends on how poor the district you vote in is, ranging from 18 to 72 soles. If you were selected to be member of the voting table (president, secretary, etc), then the fine is 180 soles. Should you not pay the fine, then they won't put a special sticker on your DNI and you'll have a lot of difficulties later on with, for example, getting loans, mortgages, and other things. Peruvians who were abroad and did not vote will have to pay the (accumulated) fines upon arrival to Peru.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Another good reason for not getting a CE. You get hassled all the time and have to engage in things you don´t wont if you get a CE.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Please stop making untrue statements. It's very confusing for people who are trying to find the correct information.

You do not HAVE to vote if you have a CE (carnet de extranjeria). You are ALLOWED to vote in your local elections if you wish.

If you get a DNI, which effectively makes you a Peruvian citizen, then you will be required to vote.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:54 pm

I think you need to have registered 30 or 60 days before the election, in addition to having your CE for 2 years.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm

euroman wrote:Another good reason for not getting a CE. You get hassled all the time and have to engage in things you don´t wont if you get a CE.

Euroman: At the end of the day, not having your papers in order and living off a tourist visa can only hurt you as you are a guest in Peru even if you own property and run what you say is a legitimate business. I didn't know you could run a business with a tourist visa by the way.

Urging people not to get their Carnet is not solid advice in my opinion. It is just my opinion, but with a CE or a DNI, it's a bit different. You have more rights than someone on a tourist visa.

Don't want to get off topic here as the point of my post was to inform people of something they may not have known about elections. It was not to argue with ignorance. It is your opinion and I respect that. However, I do not have to agree with it and have the right to call a spade a spade as do you.
Regards,

George
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Remigius wrote:Watch out and don't go and vote too early. If your voting table has people missing, they'll pick the first one(s) to arrive as subs to spend there the whole day.

Great tip! I am an early bird but will make a point not to get there early. I have heard that the best time to vote is around 1-2 p.m. since lots are at lunch.

Any truth to that?

I am voting at Carmelitas on Benevides in Miraflores.
Regards,

George
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for the info, George. I read the rules also for Peruvians voting overseas and it is the same. If there are not enough members at your assigned table, you can be 'appointed' member on the spot.
I will also go to vote in the afternoon. I have to vote in New Jersey.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 am

american_in_lima wrote:
euroman wrote:Another good reason for not getting a CE. You get hassled all the time and have to engage in things you don´t wont if you get a CE.

Euroman: At the end of the day, not having your papers in order and living off a tourist visa can only hurt you as you are a guest in Peru even if you own property and run what you say is a legitimate business. I didn't know you could run a business with a tourist visa by the way.

Urging people not to get their Carnet is not solid advice in my opinion. It is just my opinion, but with a CE or a DNI, it's a bit different. You have more rights than someone on a tourist visa.

Don't want to get off topic here as the point of my post was to inform people of something they may not have known about elections. It was not to argue with ignorance. It is your opinion and I respect that. However, I do not have to agree with it and have the right to call a spade a spade as do you.

George you are dead right. We as visitors and guests of Peru should do all in our power to abide by the laws of the land and achieve respect. A CE is an important factor towards this and the privilage to vote would be an honour. I understand to be able to vote a CE holder must register some six months prior to election day, but you are not legally required to. My wife is an avid supporter of the elections and will be on the tables helping towards democracy for all the people in Peru
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 am

I am excited to vote. I work and live here like everyone else. To be able to voice my opinion by voting is one of true intrinsic democratic values to people who live in the free world.
Regards,

George
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am

I also live and work here and I'm currently going through the process of getting my citizenship.
All papers submitted and looking forward to being able to vote in next years presidential elections. In fact I might even stand providing my application for citizenship is accepted.
Stamping out illegal immigration will top the agenda in my manifesto :lol:
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:24 am

George you are dead right. We as visitors and guests of Peru should do all in our power to abide by the laws of the land and achieve respect. A CE is an important factor towards this and the privilage to vote would be an honour. I understand to be able to vote a CE holder must register some six months prior to election day, but you are not legally required to. My wife is an avid supporter of the elections and will be on the tables helping towards democracy for all the people in Peru

I am excited that I will be able to vote next time there are elections. Having a CE is a great thing and has opened many doors that would otherwise be closed to me. I think a big part of change in Peru involves people doing things legally and setting an good example.

My wife is also very excited about participating in the elections and she to will be working at one of the polling places Sunday, here in Pucallpa. She's been away from Peru for 9 years. Her fine for not voting during that time was less than 100 soles.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register