Difference between Cusquena and Cristal? Beer tasting...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
newinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Difference between Cusquena and Cristal? Beer tasting...

Postby newinperu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:51 pm

In the spirit of Oktoberfest, ACAP is throwing a bar night in Miraflores, which you can get information if you go to the post on Treff. The reason for the separate discussion is that I have been curious how easy it would be to distinguish Cusquena from Cristal and Pilsen, which I would think is pretty easy. How about Cristal from Pilsen, a little harder. We asked the owner of Treff to arrange a beer testing during the event, and he agreed, so let's see if we can tell the difference. He might include some other beers as well for the experts out there.

For those who are not coming to the event, do you think you could distinguish the taste between Cristal and Pilsen? Obviously Cusquena is richer, and should be easy, but I think that Pilsen has more flavor then Cristal. Does anything think they could tell the difference? I will also make sure to report our finding from Thursday at Treff.

On top of giving us some beer to taste, he is giving us 20% discount on everything and a free Pisco sour for all. Hope to see some people there.

Kobi

markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Difference between Cusquena and Cristal? Beer tasting...

Postby markr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Great excuse to join In the spirit of Oktoberfest but really if you can't tell the difference between Cristal and Pilsen, you shouldn't be drinking beer :lol:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Maybe the contest should be between Pilsen (Callao) vs Pilsen (Trujillo)?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Beer in Peru is of darn low quality, but it gets the job done.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am

Remigius wrote:Beer in Peru is of darn low quality, but it gets the job done.

I am a Guiness and draught Bitter drinker and I have drank lager beers in many countries, including the USA. I think peru have achieved a high standard in beer production and would say they rank very well against other countries. I think some countries have a lot to learn. I do not like Bud and the Lo alchohol on sale in the states are rubbish. It would be nice to have some draught beers here.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am

adrian Thorne wrote:
Remigius wrote:I am a Guiness and draught Bitter drinker and I have drank lager beers in many countries, including the USA.

Any country in the whole wide world is able to produce better beer than the USA. Coming from the Holland/Belgium/Germany area, I'm perhaps too spoiled.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:40 am

The mass market beers in the USA are horrible. Stuff like Yuengling, however, is fantastic. I'm a Guinness snob myself but do find Pilsen and Cuzqueña to get the job done when I'm craving a cold one. Cristal, however, is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 am

Remigius wrote:
Any country in the whole wide world is able to produce better beer than the USA. Coming from the Holland/Belgium/Germany area, I'm perhaps too spoiled.

Having lived in Europe for more than 8 years, (England, Spain and France) I can appreciate your comment about beer in Europe. I am an avid beer drinker (Alan and some others on this board can attest to this :))...That being said, there are some really good microbreweries in the US producing excellent beer. American beer that is exported is garbage quite frankly. The microbreweries in the US are where the quality beers are at.

I have not touched a Coors Light,Bud Light or Miller in 18 years which unfortunately is what is exported from the US.

In the end, it is all relative to one's taste like most liquors.
Regards,

George
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:42 pm

markr wrote:Great excuse to join In the spirit of Oktoberfest but really if you can't tell the difference between Cristal and Pilsen, you shouldn't be drinking beer :lol:

If you're drinking Pilsen, you're not drinking beer.

Tom
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 pm

I find Peruvian beer quality being inconsistent. Quite often it is damaged by exposure to sunlght or high temperatures, and sometimes they might sell beer with past best before date in the bars. I noticed that beer in small bottles is usually better that the one in 670ml ´chelas´. Overall, all discussed brands are produced at the same factories of Backus, who basically control the market, so it is not like competing producers trying to offer better product to win customers, it´s all coming from the same source.

Pilsen is merely a German name for Czech town of Plzeň, famous for its beer style since middle ages. For some reason, this style of beer was a favourite one of Spanish emperor Carlos V, who introduced beer drinking to Spain (they were mostly drinking wine and spirits before that), and instructed his royal ´cervecero´ to produce similar beer in Spain. Carlos V also created the Viceroyalty of Peru, so Pilsen type beer was introduced here as well. In fact, most of the beer produced everywhere in Spain and Americas is Pilsen, and this name can be found in many places. Not only Pilsen Callao or Trujillo, in several other countries they have some Pilsen brands, and basically almost all beer here is Pilsen. In US too, major brands are the same Pilsen style, not English ales or German wheat beers. You might taste some differnce, but essentially it´s all the same. I´d personally prefer Brasilian-made Brahma, and it´s also cheaper in Peru than the local beer.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 am

Pilsen = lager. In my country the word "Pils" or diminutive "Pilsje" stands for lager beer. The history of beer is in fact quite interesting and has a lot in common with the way wine is being drunk nowadays. In the Middle Ages, the only safe liquid to drink was beer, because it was boiled and you'd die from drinking unboiled water, therefore they had a wide array of beers. For children, parties and to drink along with a meal.

I always drink Brahma. Not that it's fantastic beer, but for 1.50 per tin it sure beats the 2.20 you pay for Pilsen and Cristal, and it's not that the latter 2 mentioned are superior beers.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Remigius wrote:Pilsen = lager. In my country the word "Pils" or diminutive "Pilsje" stands for lager beer.

It makes sense. Lager is a German word for a bottom fermented at low temperatures beer, but as Carlos V was originally from Ghent (and he reportedly had a few beers a day), it might be the reason they adopted Flemish/Dutch word for it in the Spanish speaking world.

I totally agree about Brahma in cans, it´s good enough and tastes better to me than most local ones. Although there is a good one called Cuzqueña Red Lager, it´s ´limited edition´ and not always available, more expensive than regular Cuzqueña also, but is very good, highly recommended.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register