Peruvian citizenship question

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian citizenship question

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Last week while getting what I thought was going to be my last tax stamp at immigration, I commented to the woman that I would soon be applying for citizenship. She paged through my passport and replied…”No you won’t. Your passport shows you’ve been out of the country multiple times during the last two years. The law says you cannot have been out of the country for even one minute to meet the two year residency requirement.”

That’s not what I have been told in the past. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Tom

Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian citizenship question

Postby Remigius » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Chiclayo gringo wrote: The law says you cannot have been out of the country for even one minute to meet the two year residency requirement.”

From DIGEMIN website about naturalisation:
Ser mayor de dieciocho (18) años y tener mínimo dos (02) años consecutivos de residen- cia legal en el país.

It says you should have a minimum of 2 consecutive years of legal residency; it doesn't say you should be in the country for 2 consecutive years. Would that mean you are a prisoner in Peru for 2 whole years without being able to visit other countries or visit family back home? If it were true, DIGEMIN's world suddenly became even more cruel than it was before!
wisconsin traveler

Postby wisconsin traveler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Tom,
I received my citizenship about 6 months ago and I have been out of peru at least 8 to 10 times in the last 2 years, so the lady gave you bad information. If you have questions give us a call Tom,
regards,
Gary & rosy
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 pm

The law clearly says that you should be a legal resident (as in ´calidad migratoria: residente´, posessing a valid CE) for 2 years, and it means staying in Peru for at least 6 months in a year totally, so it was wrong information. You can easily find ´ley de extranjeria´ on the internet, but obviously ignorant clerks at provincial ´migraciones´ can have proper interpretation of the law and cause you problems. Hope you´ll manage to convince them, otherwise I guess you´ll have to go to the main office in Breña.
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm

My thanks for the replies and emails.

Mahou123, I took your advice and contacted the Lima office. I was told the Chiclayo office interpretation of the law is incorrect, but that I need to factor out all days I have been out of Peru as they do not count toward the two year requirement. For me it’s no big deal – it means waiting another 10 weeks or so, but the Lima answer still does not seem correct to me, especially in view of what some of you are saying.

I like living in Peru, but it would sure be nice if they’d get something right for a change. Everything is always an adventure here.

Tom
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:49 am

Tom:

I got my citizenship little more than a year ago. You can't be out of the country more than 6 months at a time or you will lose your Carnet and you will have to start your two year countdown all over again. As long as you follow that rule, you can come and go as you want. The first year of my carnet, I left Peru probably no less than 20 times for very short out of country trips to either the USA or in South America.

If you have any problems whatsoever, I have a very good friend who works with the director of Immigration in Brena. She is his adviser on difficult immigration issues. She goes straight by the book so if you have an entitlement by law that an immigration law might apply to you, she is the person to make sure that the law is carried out with.

Send me a PM if needed.

Becoming Peruvian will be one of the best things you have done while here. It is just a piece of paper, but your sense of Peru being home is indefinitely augmented. I have never been prouder of Peru . Peru is not the same to me anymore like when I had my Carnet. Plus, with your DNI, you stop being a "guest of Peru" and start being a citizen of Peru.
Regards,

George
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 am

They might pull the physically presence test on you. If it's only 10 weeks, it's not worth fighting it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register