Cellphones and iPhone Usage

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rthomas268

Cellphones and iPhone Usage

Postby rthomas268 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,
Okay, we're planning our trip. We will be traveling all over Peru. I was told to only use WiFi on my iphone. I'm concerned about my 'Data' usage costs. I use the iphone like a computer and unless I leave it at home would probably do the same on this trip. I know that there will be 'hotspots' and WiFi at the places we stay.
So, while traveling between destinations, is it possible to access the internet over WiFi (if available)? Does WiFi have any costs on my AT&T bill when I get home (6weeks later)? Do buses (Tepsa) have WiFi? I thinking we're going to be traveling up and down mountains so I would expect to be in and out of range of stationary towers.
I thought about picking up a couple of cheap cellphones for us to use while there; or my husband mentioned something about sim cards - I don't have any knowledge about them and I don't think one would be available for the iphone.
Any insight anyone can provide would be appreciated.

canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Cellphones and iPhone Usage

Postby canadiantraveller » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:04 pm

a couple friends of mine have been down to peru using their iphones from Canada. I've never used an iphone, but as far as I am aware if you put the iphone on "airplane mode" it will disable use of the data plan and only use wifi in hot spots where it's available.

I would call your data provider for specific instructions before you go just to make sure.

Cheers

Matt
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cellphones and iPhone Usage

Postby tupacperu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:26 pm

canadiantraveller wrote:a couple friends of mine have been down to peru using their iphones from Canada. I've never used an iphone, but as far as I am aware if you put the iphone on "airplane mode" it will disable use of the data plan and only use wifi in hot spots where it's available.

I would call your data provider for specific instructions before you go just to make sure.

Cheers

Matt

That is true Matt. Turn off the 3G and activate the WIFI. You can also get Vonage for I-Phone $25.00 per month to make calls via wifi FOR CALLING BACK HOME. You can even call a fixed line in Peru without charge. I turn off my 3g on my Iphone while in Peru, buy me a cheap local cellphone and use my vonage-iphone to call back home (US).

Oltursa buses (first class buses in Peru) have wifi and they also have IPADs. The wifi is not that dependable in remote areas and then it depends on where you are traveling:

http://www.oltursa.com.pe/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register