need to pay taxes for time on work visa?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

need to pay taxes for time on work visa?

Postby canadiantraveller » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Folks,

I've been around the expat peru forms for quite a while and thought I would finally jump in. I'm probably going to be here for a while (engaged to a peruvian girl and getting married next year) so i might as well get comfortable on here.

I do have one question for any of you who may have experience with work visas. I am currently here on a 90 day work visa, I am from Canada and applied for the visa in the peruvian embassy in Canada, I am not employed by a peruvian company at the moment, I am working for and being paid by a company in Canada.

The last time I went out of the country for a weekend in Chile, when i returned, immigrations had informed me that when I leave at the end of my visa I would need to show some form or paper that proves I have paid taxes while I have been in Peru. Do I really need to be paying taxes while on a 3 month visa being paid by a canadian company? I assume the immigration official may have thought I was employed by a peruvian company, but that is not the case. At the same time, when I originally left Peru and went to chile, the officer never said a thing, so at that point I really could have just not returned. I'm sure this all depends on the person I get in immigrations, and that keeping my mouth shut and not giving too much info is best, but I still want to have what i need just in case.

The next time I leave the country will be at the end of my visa and I'll probably be flying with my fiance back to Canada, so I would really prefer to not get stopped and told I can't fly.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Matt

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: need to pay taxes for time on work visa?

Postby fanning » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Have a look at http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientacion/salidaExtranjeros/index.html
It is a standard form, you choose which one applies to you.
I assume your Canadian firm is paying its taxes in Peru. ( They get paid by some Peruvian company, and are required to pay 30% taxes over that money, which then they can deduct from their taxes paid in Canada )
If you didn't get paid by a Peruvian company then fill our the following form :
http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientacion/salidaExtranjeros/1495.pdf

Also I assume you don't have a 'work' visa, but a 'business' visa.
A work visa typically applies if you work for a Peruvian company who did paperwork to get your workvisa. The business visa is for foreigners who do some 'business' ( so obviously get paid by their foreign employer ), but don't themselves get paid by a Peruvian company.
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: need to pay taxes for time on work visa?

Postby canadiantraveller » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 pm

thanks fanning, indeed i have a business visa not a work visa. I think this is what i need.

cheers
matt

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register