Importing a Car to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Aggie99

Importing a Car to Peru

Postby Aggie99 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:16 am

We are moving to Peru in january 2011. We have 2 vehicles both of which we own outright.

1. 2009 Landcruiser 76
2. 2006 Hummer H3

We would like to import both vehicles to Peru along with our household goods.

Does anyone know of a broker that we could speak with about what is required to import these vehicles?

thanks.

Benito

Re: Importing a Car to Peru

Postby Benito » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 am

Hi.
I was thinking doing the same thing, importing a vehicle.
Here is the info for a guy that I spoke with on the phone. Thay have offices in Lima, Peru and In Orange county in California.
Very nice and helpful guy. Knows the biz.

Here is an example of an estimate for a 2007 VW passat wagon , the newer they are, the more they pay taxes.

Hope it helps.
D

Presupuesto aprox
Flete y seguro US$ 1,600
Artes Auto Export US$ 1,000
desaduanaje US$ 1,200
impuesto US$ 4,500 aprox
Flete de Paita a Lima US$ 360

Mario Cabanillas
Artes Auto Export
Fijo 4751212/6915371
Movistar 975385344/RPM *669692
Nextel 139*867
Claro 994785376
Phone USA 714-927-9426
[email protected]
www.artesauto.com
Aggie99

Postby Aggie99 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:56 am

Thanks for the info. I will contact them to see what kinda cost I will be looking at.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:42 am

When I moved back to Lima from the US, a friend down here, who is a Customs Lawyer told me that the import duty you pay on the car, is 50% of the value of the car. However, customs use a book where the actual cost of the car is much higher! Just an FYI...
e-peruvian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby e-peruvian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 pm

I think there is a law prohibiting the import of a vehicle more than three years old . You may have problems bringing the Hummer in. There are several export agencies on the internet that export cars to South America. Alot of these are in Miami.
I would be very reluctant to import the Hummer. It might mark you as a target for theives / carjackers. EVERYONE would notice the Hummer. You couldn't help drawing massive attention to yourself by driving it.
The rule is that you dont want to show you wealth or be too ostentatious.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:38 am

e-peruvian wrote:I think there is a law prohibiting the import of a vehicle more than three years old . You may have problems bringing the Hummer in. There are several export agencies on the internet that export cars to South America. Alot of these are in Miami.
I would be very reluctant to import the Hummer. It might mark you as a target for theives / carjackers. EVERYONE would notice the Hummer. You couldn't help drawing massive attention to yourself by driving it.
The rule is that you dont want to show you wealth or be too ostentatious.

I saw a bright yellow Hummer in miraflores 2 years ago , the police did not look happy as its better than the rubbish they drive around in :)
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 am

Unless the law has changed, it is 5 years and less than 50,000km.

Taxes:

19 percent IGV
Imported new cars and light trucks are subject to a Selective Consumption Tax (SCT) of 10 percent based
on the sum of the C.I.F. value and the tariff amount.
Imported used vehicles are subject to an SCT of 30 percent.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:51 am

Aggie:

I see that you are new to the site so here are my thoughts. As some insight, I have almost been in Lima for 5 years now, so I think I get the lay of the land with the best of them here.

Besides the cost, you might want to rethink the safety issue. While I am happy to have my Nissan March, my car of choice is BMW. I have decided not to get one because I want to keep low profile and don't want to be "marked" as they say here by criminals.

That being said, my little Nissan March, about two years ago, was ripped apart internally and robbed with the best of them causing about $2,000 in damage. The car is only worth $7,000. Insurance didn't cover the damage either.

Peru is one of those places where not showing all of your financial cards is a positive thing.

Some take the belief that they won't change their lifestyle or live in fear because someone might rob them. I think if it as a safety issue. It's not worth me increasing my chances of getting hurt.

Just my opinion and some food for thought.
Regards,

George
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:06 pm

I would think with the time and costs associated with importing a vehicle, you'd be better off buying a Hilux or something when you arrive.

The guys @ Motor Expo in Plaza Norte would be more than willing to take your money, I suppose :lol:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register