Disturbing twitter account, affects EXPATPERU.com

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Disturbing twitter account, affects EXPATPERU.com

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 am

I recently had a twitter person follow me and I clicked on his twitter account to see who it was.

There was no contact information and for those of you who do not know twitter, there is usually a little photo or icon used as an identity.

The photo looked like a collage and I almost dismissed it but ended up clicking on it to look at at.

Much to my horror, it was a collage of photos of me, my friends and family and various people here on the board, including mamalu, Cajun Jamie, Curleyguy, George and others.

Here is a link to his twitter, it is not harmful to look at it and you just click on the photo to see it.

I would suggest if he or she tries to follow your twitter, you block him.

The photos are probably ones we have on the internet so easily accessible, but it creeps me out.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Disturbing twitter account, affects EXPATPERU.com

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 am

And now the twitter account is gone, within 5 minutes of me posting this.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:38 am

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 pm

How bizarre.

And how annoying that they used the least flattering picture I have of me. :(
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Bummer....can we at least collect royalties? :P
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 pm

This was the twitter account name

Don Knotts (@MoscaFruta)

And here is a cached look at his page, important to see how many of us he subscribed to on twitter.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:14 pm

I looked at the blog that is linked to the cache. Seems like someone enjoys copy and pasting our blog posts, word for word.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 am

How creepy!
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:44 am

americorps wrote:I recently had a twitter person follow me and I clicked on his twitter account to see who it was.

There was no contact information and for those of you who do not know twitter, there is usually a little photo or icon used as an identity.

The photo looked like a collage and I almost dismissed it but ended up clicking on it to look at at.

Much to my horror, it was a collage of photos of me, my friends and family and various people here on the board, including mamalu, Cajun Jamie, Curleyguy, George and others.

Here is a link to his twitter, it is not harmful to look at it and you just click on the photo to see it.

I would suggest if he or she tries to follow your twitter, you block him.

The photos are probably ones we have on the internet so easily accessible, but it creeps me out.

Thanks Kevin. These people have too much time on their hands. At least because of you, they took it off.

Here is my "L" for LOSER for this schmuck.

Regards,

George
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 am

Anybody who would spend the time to do this is working on some kind of agenda. It' s bizarre and verging on creepy. Thanks, Americorps, for sharing what you discovered.

Expat Peru has also had a lot of its content plagiarized on a blog recently, perhaps by the same person who is behind this twitter stalking. I sure the cause and person behind this will come out in due course, or disappear off the map altogether.

Anyway, even though this is now very much on our radar, let´s not have it distract us too much from the greater purpose of this forum.

Best wishes,

Alan
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 pm

I have an update to our plagiarist/stalker. I am rather upset now and going to pursue this further. Technology being what it is, I can prove that the posts were copied from my blog and how. I won't go into detail here, but it suffices to say, I will get this resolved. If anyone has an information they would like to share with me to help in this matter, please PM me.

Thanks,
Scott

This was posted in their blog:

Saturday, November 13, 2010
I had to take the blog down for a few days. Someone had contacted me about the articles in this blog as being copied from other blogs. He made reference to a couple of blogs and it did not take me long to discover that the articles in this blog were the ones actually being copied. The articles in this blog are clearly dated as to when they were posted. The few examples I was presented with were clearly written at least a year after the articles in this blog, as they had posting dates also. I pointed that little fact out and I have not heard from the person since. This turn of events got me a little worried. I took steps to secure the articles in this blog. I took screen shots of all articles with dates and corresponding screen shots of the perpetrators examples printed them out and sent them via registered to myself, a sort of poor mans way to copyright but totally legal. There are some weird people out there with a weird sense of self importance, I do not understand them. Anyone is free to copy the articles in this blog. They are here to help you the more the articles are spread around the more people will be helped. I do not care if I get credit or not. We all know who really wrote the articles. So no, I was not forced into hiding only securing my position. I have a lot of new articles ready, such as taking a taxi in Lima and a recent trip to the high jungle with a visit to mysterious echo spot (all sent to myself via registered mail, first, of course) To the scum sucking leech that tried to shake me down, nice try, but next time get your ducks in a row before you try and take down a big dog. Now don't worry I will not come after you, as I said these articles are only here to help and that is all and by you and anyone else spreading these articles around only helps to reach that goal. Be sure to visit Gay Life.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, s/he is gone for now. Again, if anyone else was plagiarized by this person, please send me a PM.

gone.jpg
gone.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

There was a lot on there that seemed to be ripped right from the articles here on Expat.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Indeed. And from your personal work and my personal work. I am not as familiar with the other blogs, but there were many others that were plagiarized.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Be careful, he's a "big dog".

Of course, on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:11 pm

What is twitter?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:53 pm

I have always thought it takes a special type of coward to attack someone in a faceless way. This guy goes beyond coward and offers his own type of psychotic behavior. They are now gone as his blog was shut down, but he opened a blog in my partners name and made some pretty rude comments about us.

I am not sure who is so scared of me that he feels the need to attack from behind closed doors, but I can only presume that this is the only power and thrill he can achieve in an otherwise impotent life. I pity him.

I have worked with people with disabilities for many years in the USA, including all forms of mental illness and while I am not in a position to diagnose anyone or anything other than lay speculation, I can say that this pattern of behavior is one I have seen often over my many years and though I am sure he is trying to garner fear and intimidation, he has mostly lead me to pity and worry for his mental frailty.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 am

Over on another board, related to cinema, there's a similar guy who is claiming to be making a new King Kong movie. The thing is, he doesn't have any rights to Kong, and his behavior is so grandstanding, he is just going to wind up in court. He is already selling his script online on Amazon, so it's just a matter of time before the folks behind Kong sue him.

Anyway, it's clear that this Kong guy is either very, very young or suffering from a form of sociopathy.He does not know there is anyone outside of himself, and the creatures that inhabit the earth around him are not (to him) fully formed humans, but annoyances which should be squashed. In its extreme form, this is how serial killers come about, but in regular day-to-day sociopaths, it's shown by a contempt for others, and treating others with obsessive disdain. The Kong guy posts gigantic, 10,000 word posts and essays about people who have done nothing more than say "you are violating copyright."

Another great case making the news is the one about the assistant Attorney General in Michigan who fixated on an openly gay HIGH SCHOOL student who won the seat of class president. The AG, in his own time, set up websites devoted to harassing this kid, calling him a Nazi and racist, and then defended his actions on CNN in an itnerview with Anderson Cooper as it all being part of a "political campaignn." The thing is, the kid already won the seat months ago, so there's no campaign going on... and the AG is a fully grown adult, beating up a high school kid. (Here's a link to the Anderson interview.)

There's another guy who has spent about 20 years attacking the Florida Film Commissioner's office (no matter who the commissioner is personally... it doesn't matter to him), writing nasty letters to newspapers and filing dozens of frivolous lawsuits. He claims to be a filmmaker, but has only produced (get this) a handful of POWERPOINT slide shows featuring his photography. Needless to say, anyone who pops up and criticizes the guy will face a few years of harassing emails, letters, phone calls, and libelous web postings.

I have a business competitor who has, for ten years, run a website which slams my company. His own attempt at starting a company like mine failed, so he became a webmaster instead. He's dropped off the radar in the last four years or so, but the libelous stuff he has posted (calling me a fraud, "the antichrist", a thief, "abuser" etc.) remains there, accessible by Google forever and no doubt hurts my business to some degree. But I understand his motives -- he hasn't been able to build a successful company like mine, and suing him would only bring bad energy to me. So I let him do his thing in peace, and if that gives him joy, I just let it go. Meanwhile I can only work hard and keep my own business running, and my happy customers will overshadow anything this guy makes up about me.

Not ironically, and for some reason, a common trait is that all of these people (well, I don't know about the DA, but the others) are obsessed with their own copyright, and do that "mail it to myself" thing.

So one has to be very careful with these types of people. Continue to monitor what they do, watch for violent language, and report it to the police. Keep a record of what happens, keep emails, take screenshots of things before they can be pulled (and date and time each one), and never respond. Be careful about posting about him here, as you are fueling his need for your attention. Be careful about reporting him to Twitter or his web host, as they always go back to the person for their side of the story, and that becomes a NEW trigger. To him, you may only be a bug (not quite human), but he is obsessed with getting a reaction from that bug. You are the ant under his magnifying glass and for him, the sun is always shining. You just need to pretend its a cloudy day and you just don't give a damn.

When he breaks the law -- and eventually he will -- then report him in silence. No need to report back here (since he is monitoring this, and it will tip him off).
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 am

Well, my stalker is back, and with a vengeance.

In a way, I find his unrequited obsession with me almost flattering.

I am one that truly believes sunlight burns out infections, so instead of commenting further, I think if I just let you read notes from his blog, you can decide for yourself what kind of person he is.

Anonymous said...

This blog is a great work, you are a genius. Wish I had thought of it.
Have you noticed that the forum bully has all but stopped posting? His Tweets have even stopped. He does not share with us about his bear parties on Twitter. Or how he so loves going to the jungle to see the cute little,(keyword "little") jungle boys.
He used to sit on the forum all day and be be the first to berate someone. Now he is all but absent.
I always get this funny picture of him in my head. I have met this person so it is a vivid picture. He has suffered almost every prejudice and ailment known to man and some ailments not known to man such as breast cancer, which leads to wonder if he also suffers from the curse that visits other women every month. That could explain a lot. I digress, sorry.
I get this picture of this morbidly obese man, his face swelling and turning red, steam spewing out of his nose and ears, his short little arms stretched out over his immense gut trying to reach the keys every time he feels the urge to rant on about something that goes against him and his twisted little world.
I kinda miss him. Did the owner finally reign him in? Did something or someone creep into his world and open his eyes to the real world and show him for the bully and twisted person that he really is? Maybe he went back on his meds. At any rate I miss him. He is always good for a good laugh. I am sure he will fall off his meds and be back soon. Thanks for the anonymity.
November 29, 2010 2:07 PM
Administrator said...

Hey, Thanks for the compliment. It actually came about by accident. Had it not been for all the unfounded attacks I got for stealing material I may never had come up with this format.
Yes I have noticed he has been a little scarce lately. Seems to have disappeared about the same time he discovered a "mysterious Tweeter".
My guess is he is traveling. In his 4 plus years here he has not seen fit to take up legal residence so he has to find a friendly border to hop so he can keep his tourist status legal. I am sure we will see his twisted rantings sooner or later.
November 29, 2010 3:15 PM

The comments I will make is.. much of what he says is not true, though any of you who know me know that, and further, it is not difficult to figure out that the commenter on his blog is himself, then he replies to his own anon comment.

He also makes some attacks against Scott as well.

http://cometoperutolive.blogspot.com/
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am

Just goes to show that some people in this world have such a sad and pathetic life that all they can do to gain some level of satisfaction is to go after others in false and defamatory ways.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 pm

This is pretty horrible stuff. Hope you don' t take any of it seriously Americorps. It all says an awful lot about him (or her?) but very little about you.
Tom
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm

My goodness, again! I thought this matter was over, kaput, done, finito!
Very strange and weird!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Oh, no... It just keeps getting more personal and frustrating.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

I think the less said about it here, the better. Obviously, dude gets off on the attention, I'd rather not give him any.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Kelly wrote:I think the less said about it here, the better. Obviously, dude gets off on the attention, I'd rather not give him any.

So why don't you do what you do best and delete the thread, or moderate our posts. It is something that is affecting several members and should be shared.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Scott, I understand Kelly's opinion and she has every right to it.

Her opinion is valid as well, for a point of view.

Yours is as well, from another point of view. Please, Scott, allow both points of view to exists. She expressed an opinion and she did not censor.

As far as the psycho,

I have not taken it personally other than flattered that someone is so enthralled with me to give me all this time and attention and I realize it is a mental illness that makes him express himself in such a way, so is to be pittied.

But I thought about the very issue Kelly discussed and concluded 3 things,

1. As I mentioned in my post, sun cleanses, purifies.

2. If I hide it, it appears it might get to me, i will put it out there myself. I am self confident and malarkey like this more intrigues me than anything.

And 3. I agree with Scott, this not only effects him and myself, but this thief has stolen from many of our blogs, so we should continue to be aware of his sick shenanigans.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Overreact much?

I agree it should be shared, never said it shouldn't. I just don't think we should spend too much time talking about him, as he obviously gets some sick jollies from it. I'm sure he'll be having a good chuckle at your reaction here.

As am I.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm

americorps wrote:
As far as the psycho,

I have not taken it personally other than flattered that someone is so enthralled with me to give me all this time and attention and I realize it is a mental illness that makes him express himself in such a way, so is to be pittied.

But I thought about the very issue Kelly discussed and concluded 3 things,

1. As I mentioned in my post, sun cleanses, purifies.

2. If I hide it, it appears it might get to me, i will put it out there myself. I am self confident and malarkey like this more intrigues me than anything.

And 3. I agree with Scott, this not only effects him and myself, but this thief has stolen from many of our blogs, so we should continue to be aware of his sick shenanigans.

No offense, but it is unlikely that you are "flattered" by someone who you call a "psycho" with "sick shenanigans".

You are now feeding this, not him. The best solution is to let it go. It's hard, but it's best. As I said before, keep a silent eye on it and report any illegal activities, but tokeep reposting it here, and then offer dubious excuses as to why you keep this thing going on, is not helpful to anyone.

It may suck to hear this, but you also have to take stock of your responsibility in this, whether or not the other guy is a psycho. You are getting energy from this yourself, now, which you call "flattery".

Please, let this drop. He will go away and bother someone else.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 pm

xibalba,

Please, refrain from telling me how I feel, you do not know me well enough.

If you are uncomfortable reading what is going on, I suggest you skip this thread.

Thank you.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Kelly wrote:I think the less said about it here, the better. Obviously, dude gets off on the attention, I'd rather not give him any.

Kelly wrote:Overreact much?

I agree it should be shared, never said it shouldn't. I just don't think we should spend too much time talking about him, as he obviously gets some sick jollies from it. I'm sure he'll be having a good chuckle at your reaction here.

As am I.

So, which is it?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 am

Really? You can't figure that one out yourself?

I agree that the information should be public, but that the less said about it, the better. I think that letting people know there's a problem is a good thing - but that all this extraneous conversation only feed Freakazoid's ego.

Clear enough for you?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

I noticed knives being sharpened in the background, so out of curiosity I decided to check this infamous blog. My question: is this really worth a brawl? :roll: If I'm spotting his intentions correctly, he's pretty much half-way to achieving his goal.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm

well, much of the blog has been taken down, a lot of the stolen copywrited material removed and the blogs that were in the names of other people are also no longer active, so what you see is only a small fraction of what was there.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:30 pm

americorps wrote:xibalba,

Please, refrain from telling me how I feel, you do not know me well enough.

If you are uncomfortable reading what is going on, I suggest you skip this thread.

Thank you.

Then I apologize, and will trust that you are truly flattered, as you said. Therefore, feel free to enjoy the attention this guy is giving you.

FYI I am not at all uncomfortable. I was just giving you advice as to how to stop this from being uncomfortable to YOU, but since you insist that you are "flattered" then my advice was misplaced, and again, I apologize. I have just not ever met anyone flattered by a stalker before, so it's my own ignorance at play here.

For what it's worth, multiple people have suggested you ignore this guy -- in fact, it seems to be the general consensus -- so you may want to consider that, and not just listen to my post on the matter. If you choose to ignore the advice that well-meaning people are giving you, then whatever happens, happens.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm

americorps wrote:well, much of the blog has been taken down, a lot of the stolen copywrited material removed and the blogs that were in the names of other people are also no longer active, so what you see is only a small fraction of what was there.

This is more a point for Kelly, since I don't know what "stolen copywrited material" you are talking about and will assume you mean something from either this forum or the site.

I just noticed that Expat Peru has NO Terms of Service notice at all. Typically the TOS will specify the specific copyright rules for the website. For some sites, anything posted becomes the copyright of the SITE OWNER. In other cases, the site specifically says that the original poster retains copyright. Still others tell their users that anything posted is intended for the public domain.

A site without any such statement could fall under a legal decision that anything posted is therefore posted in the public domain, and can be taken by anyone and re-used quite legally. Then there's "fair use" law, and adding international copyright law into the mix, and it gets more confusing.

Furthermore, sites with both content AND a forum board often have TWO terms of service notices: one for the site itself, and the other for the forum board. Expat Peru seems to lack BOTH. In fact, Expat Peru doesn't even have a simple "(C) 2010 Expat Peru, all rights reserved" notice on the bottom of the site!

If someone is taking content from this site, the site owners may want to make some greater effort in protecting itself and users... it won't stop those who will ignore such rules, but it will help enforce them a bit.

Americorps, whether you take this the wrong way or not, I have no control over. But my advice -- intended to help you, not **** you off -- would be to be very careful when publishing comments accusing someone of "stealing copyrighted material" if that's not totally, factually true. You may have just handed your "friend" the right to sue you in court for libeling HIM. It wouldn't be the first time that the wrong person wound up on the wrong side of the judge.

Again, the best thing to do is let this drop and stop talking about it, except with police or lawyers or someone with actual ability to do something about it.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Xibalba wrote:I just noticed that Expat Peru has NO Terms of Service notice at all. Typically the TOS will specify the specific copyright rules for the website.

That's a very good catch. I did not even realise that, but yes, there's not disclaimer, terms of service or copyright notice anywhere to be found. It would be more professional, but if I'm not mistaken there's always a copyright on material, even if it's not specified.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 pm

It's actually a point for Alan - the site and forum belong to him.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Kelly wrote:It's actually a point for Alan - the site and forum belong to him.

Oops, sorry.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Remigius wrote: but if I'm not mistaken there's always a copyright on material, even if it's not specified.

Not true in the case of internet sites. That IS true in the case of a written work, such as a manuscript, music, etc.

They couldn't enforce that rule for a website since the ownership of the material is not clear. For example, when I just quoted your comment, did YOU own the comment (and therefore did I just violate your copyright) or does the SITE own your comment and grant me permission to quote it?

If someone cuts and pastes and entire THREAD, is that violation of the SITE, or all the USERS? Who is the creator of the material?

If every individual post followed the automatic-copyright rule, the internet wouldn't work.

Websites have to declare their copyright rules in general, or a "public domain" assumption can easily be made in court.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Well, apart from stealing stuff, it does not matter to me if it is illegal, but it is dishonorable.

And further, this individual has gone far beyond that, reaching very legal definitions of slander and impersonation that are illegal.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 pm

americorps wrote:Well, apart from stealing stuff, it does not matter to me if it is illegal, but it is dishonorable.

And further, this individual has gone far beyond that, reaching very legal definitions of slander and impersonation that are illegal.

Unless, as you say, it's just flattery. That's not illegal.

If he's engaged in actual illegal activity, you can notify his ISP or web host and have them take action. Although expect him to just open shop up elsewhere, and then make up new stories about how you tried to take him down, making himself the victim and feeding his energy anew. I've seen this a thousand times. It's a script that plays out, people just read their lines without knowing 1,000 people have done the same thing before.

I previously mentioned the guy who, for almost ten years, has posted bad stuff about me and my company. He's a competitor and his business never reached the success of mine, so he opted instead to try to harm my income by making up lies about me and my company. He even invented entire emails that he then said I wrote and posted them, of course writing things that made me look terrible.

I talked to a lawyer and they said they had not seen such a clear cut case of internet libel as this, and that shutting him down was easy. Then I did some personal background checking. The guy has no money, a broken marriage, addictions galore, and is overall a very, very pathetic figure (meaning he deserves pathos, not "pathetic" in the mean sense.) Other people get some good from his site, when he's providing information rather than going off on rants. So I decided to do nothing and just let him be.

I recently found out that even now, just a few months ago, folks on his site still believe the stuff he wrote ten years ago, and still think I am some kind of scam artist. (It still pops up on Google.) I know it's cost me tens of thousands in possible contracts, but I am willing to let it go because anything I do would just make his life even worse, and that's not worth it for me. I have to live with my karma, he has to live with his. Let him say what he wants, let him cost me business... it's just his way of crying out his pain. I am not going to add to that pain. All I can do is keep running an honest business and have happy clients, and ignore him.

And it's worked. I don't suffer from his actions, and my company does just fine. The problems I suffer from are too much growth and a lack of qualified people to hire. I wish he'd get out from under his problems, but I can't help him. So I let it go.

Sorry for the long posts. I type fast.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Your lawyer is bad. Mine is a cyberlaw specialist.
zarjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zarjoe » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:32 am

Kelly: Please shut this post down. Its gone way past its initial intent of the OP in alerting the board and looking for other members potential victimization by the owner of the "twitter" account. Now its just a couple people going back and forth... I'd like to stop reading it, but its like watching UFC Mixed Martial Arts at this point... I can't turn away :)

Please close the thread or else one of the primary posters should "Tap Out"

Thanks... Zarjoe
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:49 am

Zarjoe, I agree, this thread must be closed,but unlike you, I never fully understood the intention of opening this thread and in the progress, it became even more unclear. Some have been kindly trying to give advise, but this advise has been laid aside. Unfortunately.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry, I can't really close a thread just because it's annoying.

However, as moderator, I would like to remind everyone to stay on topic. If you'd like to discuss copyright laws etc, surely there are more appropriate places.

I'd like to reiterate that continuing to discuss the offending blog only feeds the troll. As Alan stated in his post on the first page of this thread, it's best if we don't let it distract us from the greater purpose of the forum.
Suzanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Suzanne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:59 pm

I think the photo montage should be taken out though, don't you Kelly?

There are photos there of people who did not request publication or give their permission to be part thereof .
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 am

Suzanne wrote:I think the photo montage should be taken out though, don't you Kelly?

There are photos there of people who did not request publication or give their permission to be part thereof .

This is why the discussion of trademark, copyright and intellectual property *IS* on topic. If people's materials and photos are being stolen -- which was the OP's original complaint -- then discussing ways to STOP that are on-topic.

But, yeah, I quit. I tried to provide some advice and just keep getting slammed or ignored for it. I can only give my experiences, it's up to Americorps to use it or not. He claims to have an "expert cyberlaw" attorney, it's up to him to use it, then. Or not. Whatever.

But it won't stop as long as Americorps simply wants to use this thread to complain and give the troll more press, while not taking the advice of everyone asking him to just move on and ignore this guy.

So, I'm done. Only so many ways you can say the same thing and get ignored.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 am

Xibalba wrote:
This is why the discussion of trademark, copyright and intellectual property *IS* on topic. If people's materials and photos are being stolen -- which was the OP's original complaint -- then discussing ways to STOP that are on-topic.

The OP or Original Poster did not make any such claim, he was merely altering the expat community to a very odd situation, from there it evolved. The collage is nothing more than creepy, unless it uses trademarked or copyrighted images. I don't think that was ever the issue. It was the fact that our content was being plagiarized. which was discovered later.

Xibalba wrote:But, yeah, I quit. I tried to provide some advice and just keep getting slammed or ignored for it. I can only give my experiences, it's up to Americorps to use it or not. He claims to have an "expert cyberlaw" attorney, it's up to him to use it, then. Or not. Whatever.

But it won't stop as long as Americorps simply wants to use this thread to complain and give the troll more press, while not taking the advice of everyone asking him to just move on and ignore this guy.

So, I'm done. Only so many ways you can say the same thing and get ignored.

Thank you! Your advice is unsolicited and to be honest, not very good. If you offered good advice, perhaps someone would listen. You seem to randomly post just for the sake of bumping this thread with unrelated personal issues.

Americorps has not used this thread to complain, but to spread information about the situation.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Having an blog created with the express intent of harassing people on this forum anonymously is disturbing and I am very thankful that we have all been alerted. With this attention, sooner or later this person´s identity will become known and their agenda exposed, or they will be forced to fade away. The homophobic nature of much of what this anonymous person (ie: coward) writes is abhorrent and needs to be condemned, and the plagiarism of this and other Peru-centric websites is theft.

Unfortunately, the very controversy that this provokes is exactly what this person is looking for, so now that we are aware of the situation, I suggest that we let it pass and move on to other things.

Cheers,
Alan

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register