birth certificate nightmare!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
eve81
Silver Member
Silver Member

birth certificate nightmare!

Postby eve81 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:58 pm

What a nightmare,

I guess i have no common sense! when they say at the peruvian consulate, you need your original birth certificate, i thought that meant, the one one i received after my mum and dad registered my birth! but no i guess original has another meaning.
Also when you send it to the consulate to be stamped, they are very happy to take your money and stamp it, knowing full well it will be useless to try and get married with in Peru.
I suppose i must be an idiot to not realize i have to request a new one that is less than three months old!

Well here i am in Peru waiting for my documents to arrive from the UK, already got them legalized at the FCO and the Peruvian Consulate, and I'm now running out of time.

Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anyway around this? Is there any places that will accept my 29 year old birth certificate?! we were hoping to get married in Tacna or Lima, in 3-4 weeks as we have family and friends in both places, we were going to go to Lima next week to legalize and translate my documents, as well as do all the other stuff we have to do.

Thanks for any help or information

jchambilla

Re: birth certificate nightmare!

Postby jchambilla » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 am

Greetings,

First of all I can tell you that I been there. I'm a peruvian and my wife is from the US. And we had a hard time with the birth certificade.
I'm assuming that your future husband is peruvian. What's his official address? please check out his DNI.
Now, are you a peruvian resident? if that so, how many years? what is your migration status? Do you have a CE, TI?
If you answer those questions,maybe we can come out with something else.

Abrazos
eve81
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eve81 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Abrazos,

I am on a three month visitor visa, due to leave around december, back to the UK to work.
Yes he is Peruvian, and his DNI address is miraflores, though his parents live here in Tacna, we are in
the process of checking with the municiplidad here in tacna, to see if it is possible to over look it,

any help or ideas would be gratefully received
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Peru has very strict regulations. You could say all documents have to be less than 3 months old. Get used to the fact that they don't trust you. Besides bribing people or having friends in the right places, the only thing you can do is wait for your documents to arrive from the UK.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:56 pm

I know Remigius is right, because I've been there as well. Anyhow do you get somehow un-born if your birth certificate is older than three month???? And why does the Peruvian Consulate in your home country doesn't inform you about this fact?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:06 am

When I went to Peru in 2001, I could get my residential visa by simply entering the country as a tourist and doing the necessary paperwork. In 2005 I wanted to do repeat that process, but the Peruvian consulate in Amsterdam apparently thought it was not important to tell me that at that time you had to start the procedure from the country you were residing. I had to spend too much $$ to correct that problem. Nowadays, every time I'm going through some kind of procedure, I ask, ask and re-ask (does that verb exists?): "Is this everything? Am I done? I don't need to do more paperwork? I don't need to make extra payments?" Additionally, I try to find confirmation in other places, and even after being so meticulous, I still face surprises now and then.

Bottom line is: Better ask too much than too little! Especially when the following phrases/questions/thoughts pop in your head whilst visiting places such as RENIEC, DIGEMIN, etc:

"Naah, this is so illogical! It can't be true!" (=Better believe it, it's real!)
"I think this is all." (= No it's not. You need to make payments. Fill in extra forms. Seal missing,etc.)
"There is no need to....." (= For them there is)
"Why do they need this?" (=Extra documents to add to their stockpiles of paperwork in order to justify their long waiting times due to their sheer incompetence)
"In my country...." (= We're not in Kansas no'mo Toto!)
"I know I'm ready, because I did this procedure before." (= Yes, and yesterday they changed the rules)
"Last time I had to pay 25 soles, I'll take 40 with me (= Silently they raised the price to 38 and your parking costs 2 soles per hour. Time's ticking mate!)

I could go on and on. Actually, I've always had this idea to publish a book with real time stories and infamous quotes about Peruvian bureaucracy!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 am

It is a hard and fast fact that you need a certificate issued within the three month period, duly stamped by the British notary, Overseas office in London and the Peruvian consulate in London. Alway remember when you visit the Municipal every person you talk to will give you different requirements. Some will require the same treatment for passport. What the Municipal do not say is they retain all the documents. I was faced with this problem, but we have a cousin who borrowed them back for a few days. As soon as your documents arrive from the UK please obtain six copies of everything and have them legalised at a notary. You will need them at a later date if you ever have any other dealings with the authorities here. I may be showing you how to suck eggs but it is worth mentioning just in case.
jchambilla

Postby jchambilla » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Eve81,

Your situation is complicated, but you gotta wait until your documents arrive.
My advice, don't try to get things around or under the table. First of all because it's illegal and also because in the future you might have problems, I saw it before.

Hope you can get married.

Jose
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 pm

This is how inmigration works...

NO TIPS: NO SERVICE AND YOU WON´T GET WHAT YOU NEED.

BAD TIPS: BAD SERVICE AND A LOT OF HASSLE

GOOD TIPS: GOOD SERVICE AND NO HASSLE
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:14 pm

euroman wrote:This is how inmigration works...

NO TIPS: NO SERVICE AND YOU WON´T GET WHAT YOU NEED.

BAD TIPS: BAD SERVICE AND A LOT OF HASSLE

GOOD TIPS: GOOD SERVICE AND NO HASSLE

No, it isn't. I got married in Peru, obtained residency, got my driver's license, started a business... Never had to pay a bribe, ever.
Last edited by scott on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Ditto. Never once in going on 7 years have I paid a bribe, and everything got done without a problem. Better to do things right than take a chance on it biting you in the butt later.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am

My wife and I got married in Peru with no problems -- eventually (I'm also from the UK). However, her local Municipalidad was hopeless and really had no idea at all about the paperwork -- they were blocking, then refusing perfectly valid paperwork that I'd already sent, etc, etc. Fortunately another Municipalidad nearby was much more clued up and told her exactly what I had to bring and the whole process all went through fine.

However, in another case I'm aware of, of a foreigner marrying in Peru, they didn't have all the paperwork quite correct, but as time was short, the Municipalidad did allow them to marry, on the promise that they would send the paperwork ASAP. The Municipalidad is taking a huge risk if they do this, so they're only going to do it if they feel that they really know you well and can trust you to get the paperwork sorted. This didn't involve a bribe, but just a good deal of mutual understanding, as is the Peruvian way (in the Highlands at a least).
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm

don't mean to piggyback on this issue, i truly hope everything works out for you.

I'm getting married in the next year as well and this birth certificate stuff i'm hearing seems like it could cause a problem for me as well. For one, I have my original birth certificate from birth, i have never renewed it, didn't even know you could do that. Do you really need to renew it, or do you just need to get it notarized and translated within 3 months of getting married?

Or are they just looking for a certified copy of my birth certificate, i assume this is what it is they are looking for, sure hope so anyway. Anyone know anything about this? I'm canadian so maybe other canadians would be more familiar with this. Maybe that is the same thing that is required from eve81, in which case, hopefully you can get it in time.

Matt
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 am

For us the original birth certificate is the important one, but that is worthless in Peru. What they want is a fresh birth certificate recently copied from the records in your birth-town records office. In the UK I was able to order this online and they sent it to me. Seems to be a standard procedure.
eve81
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eve81 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey,

Yeah Matt, don't fall into the trap that i did! every "helpful" website and even at the peruvian consulate in london, they all say you need to have your original birth certificate legalized etc. What none of these specifically stated was that they need to be copies that are no longer than 3 months old. So you need to do it all right before you leave the country. ( I, like you have my original from birth, didn't realise i could get another copy) its too late for me now, but i think it is possible that they are going to help us out here, and we may get away with it. Going to lima in about a week, to get everything transated and legalized, and then coming back to do the rest of the stuff at the municiplicidad,

thanks everyone for their halp and advise
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Talking about the Peruvian consulate in London, we found that doing things through them was painfully slow. We were waiting almost a year for my wife's new DNI to come back after changing her civil status and adding my surname to the end of her name. Apparently it can all be done very much more quickly in Lima.

Also, for a Peruvian wife, if you are bringing her back to your home country, try to decide whether she is going to take your surname or not, and then be consistent. This means getting "de <surname>" added to the DNI and passport in Peru if she is going to use her husband's name. At least then the passport will appear similar enough to the name written according to UK/US conventions (i.e. first names and then husband's surname). We had endless trouble because someone in some company who knew nothing but had the responsibility to check papers rejected ours because things weren't absolutely plain and simple for them. When we got "de <surname>" added on the end, things went quite a bit more smoothly. I wish we had thought about this sooner.
M.Lockwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby M.Lockwood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:58 pm

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the consulate in London!

I am from the UK and had a business visa, then applied for a work visa.

The whole process was long and drawn out!

They said the physical visa 'sticking in' would take 5 working days, but luckily my company here in Peru got involved and it was done on the spot.

It's all slack and makes Peru hard work

It doesn't leave a good impression on me either.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

I think I was a lucky one. All the requirements from Surquillo was on line and I visited the Notary in Winchester, UK., who organised all documents, including translations. She even ordered a copy birth certificate for me. I waited for a matter of three weeks to receive all the documents duly stamped.She also provided a legalised copy of my passport, which was not included on the list. Sure enough Surquillo requested this on presentation to the registrar. No worry and cost me £150.00. Worth every penny.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register