How do I get out of here with out money??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bilingualtech

How do I get out of here with out money??

Postby bilingualtech » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi, I am an american that lost my job last month and I have suffered a great deal for the last 2 a half years I've been in Peru. Nothing seems to go right and I need to get out of here. Family is willing to help but is unable. So is there any other way to get back to my country? I don't want to be here another month!! I'm out of money and will have to move again (makes 10 times since I've been here). Please give me ways out. thanks.

sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do I get out of here with out money??

Postby sunflower » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Honestly I really can understand what you are going through and feel really sorry, but don't know how you want to get out of here without any money. That's the reason I tell everybody who wants to listen or not, always have a return ticket home or at least the money for it.

If you don't want to walk, there is in my opinion no way around somehow buying a flight ticket. And if you don't have the resources (no credit card???), you have to ask / beg your family, friends or whoever for the cash or sell everything you might have to raise the money. It's difficult, I know, been there myself many years ago.

Good luck!
Jonathanme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jonathanme » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:03 pm

I helped a British guy once, had a similar story to yours, and promised to pay me back once he got home and started working. Come to find out, he went back to Peru and decided to pay me months and months later after I started to come after him.
Anyway, are you healthy? I would, pack a back pack (sell all the other things I had) and start heading north. Go on a journey, keep a journal, write about your days. Make some friends along the way, food is cheap, and maybe you would have to do some manual labor for food and a room. Turn your down and out luck into a once in a life time opportunity. Please bike, and hike long distances all the time. Hopefully you can speak some espanol. Sure you won't have any problem crossing the Mexican border once you get there. Good luck. Maybe not good advice for most, but that's what I would do.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:36 pm

I see Spirit air has really cheap flights from Cartagena, Colombia. If you could hike till there, you could fly home from there cheaply.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 am

I realize the U.S. embassy almost never provides direct financial assistance to people, but you have nothing to lose by contacting them, especially if you are "ailing."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/eme ... _1198.html

n.b. The U.S. government does not make loans to its citizens, but embassies sometimes can provide limited help to people that are destitute. If you do not have a job, then you might be destitute according to the government's definition.

Make sure you have a support group bilingualtech. I mean friends and people that you care about and that care about you. I don't mean to sound flip or cavalier here, but if you cannot get home, then one other alternative is to tell yourself that despite everything, you are going to make things work here. That may sound impossible, but it is a viable alternative.

I'm sorry I can't give you any better information, but I hope all goes well.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Jonathanme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jonathanme » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 am

Correction People bike, and hike long distances all the time. Look on the bight side, at least you don't have to go to Europe.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Get a job and save money to get out.
Getting a job is easy in Peru.

Work as a watchimen. Go to a nice neigboorhood, knock on doors and offer people to look after their house and car at night. A friend of me did it. He asks 50 soles a month and looks after 30 houses in the same street. 1500 soles a month... a good salary in Peru. Rent a room for 150 soles a month, food is cheap and probably with that income and independent lifestyle, you don´t want to go back to the US anymore. Working for a boss you hate, who treates you like s***, pays you peanuts and calls you a dummy all day.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:32 am

Please email me your resume I am looking for a good English speaking person that can write. [email protected]
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Jonathanme wrote:I helped a British guy once, had a similar story to yours, and promised to pay me back once he got home and started working. Come to find out, he went back to Peru and decided to pay me months and months later after I started to come after him.
Anyway, are you healthy? I would, pack a back pack (sell all the other things I had) and start heading north. Go on a journey, keep a journal, write about your days. Make some friends along the way, food is cheap, and maybe you would have to do some manual labor for food and a room. Turn your down and out luck into a once in a life time opportunity. Please bike, and hike long distances all the time. Hopefully you can speak some espanol. Sure you won't have any problem crossing the Mexican border once you get there. Good luck. Maybe not good advice for most, but that's what I would do.

Great advice... hope he takes it.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

spirit has cheap airfare out of lima as well.. lima / chicago / lima is $430 for may...
Katie
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:12 am

Via Couchsurfing.com you can find people that host you free on a trip to the north. Even in the strangest places in the world.

However, the peruvians usually make their "polladas" and "anticuchadas" in these cases.
If you organize sth like that, probably many people even from this forum would come around to buy some ticket and it might be enough to get a bus-ticket or flight-ticket out of town.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Have you considered going to Callao, or any other port, and trying to get a job on a cargo ship going north?

Otherwise it will still cost few hundreds of dollars. I´d go to the airport and try to talk to airlines, if there are empty seats on a flight about to depart, they may offer a good price. Or get to Guayaquil overland (can be done for about 100 soles on not-too-fancy transport) and do the same there: flights from Ecuador are cheaper.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Work.
Regards,

George
EcaLeonte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby EcaLeonte » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 am

You could contact Jessica Gutierrez and ask her if she still has an available job as an English teacher. Her email is [email protected]. Good luck!
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:54 am

Are you still with us here in Lima, bilingualtech? If so, how are things going for you?
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:11 pm

american_in_lima wrote:Work.

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 pm

euroman wrote:

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.

I never heard from this individual and I had an open position, a smart Peruvian who watches the board saw my reply and emailed me a resume. After some discussions I have decided to hire that person. I am so tired of gringo economic refugees who think that those of us who have handled our finances responsibilities in responsible manner should extend them a hand.

A few months ago I started helping a Peruvian who walks dogs in San Isidro for cash. I can`t have a dog because I live in an apartment and it is just not fair to me, the dog, or my furniture and rugs but I love to walk and love dogs so I started helping the Peruvian out on a volunteer basis. Other Peruvians who have dogs have offered me cash to walk their dogs but I can`t because I don`t have the proper visas and I play it by the books nor do I need the cash. Why couldn`t this individual have tried something like that.

I feel zero sympathy for this person they seems lazy and think those of us who handle our finances in responsible manner should just give them money. I stand with George work or stay and I really don`t wanna hear another hard luck story.
calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 am

DC_20833 wrote:
euroman wrote:

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.

I never heard from this individual and I had an open position, a smart Peruvian who watches the board saw my reply and emailed me a resume. After some discussions I have decided to hire that person. I am so tired of gringo economic refugees who think that those of us who have handled our finances responsibilities in responsible manner should extend them a hand.

A few months ago I started helping a Peruvian who walks dogs in San Isidro for cash. I can`t have a dog because I live in an apartment and it is just not fair to me, the dog, or my furniture and rugs but I love to walk and love dogs so I started helping the Peruvian out on a volunteer basis. Other Peruvians who have dogs have offered me cash to walk their dogs but I can`t because I don`t have the proper visas and I play it by the books nor do I need the cash. Why couldn`t this individual have tried something like that.

I feel zero sympathy for this person they seems lazy and think those of us who handle our finances in responsible manner should just give them money. I stand with George work or stay and I really don`t wanna hear another hard luck story.

Ouch. That's pretty strong DC for not knowing why he didn't respond to you. To be honest, when I read your ad for employment there was not a whole lot of information. Maybe he felt he may not have qualified. Maybe he did not have a resume, or hopefully he may have gotten another job. Maybe he is back home in the US with family trying to regroup and start over.

We do not know.

Something that bothers me is when people assume to know another persons situation, and then pass judgement. Just because he did not email you does not mean the guy is lazy and looking for hand-me-outs. He was looking for suggestions, just like we all do on here from time to time. That does not mean he needs to take yours.

Sorry to be so blunt. I just felt like your comments are pretty contrary to what the expat forum is all about. I would hate for you to fall on hard times and someone respond to you in the way you responded to them.
Last edited by calledtoperu2009 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Do some research, get arrested for the right offence and you will be deported :twisted:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:57 pm

DC_20833 wrote:
euroman wrote:

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.

DC_20833 wrote:

Other Peruvians who have dogs have offered me cash to walk their dogs but I can`t because I don`t have the proper visas.

HA HA HA

Tomorrow I am going to inmigration to apply for my ´´DOG WALKING VISA``

HA HA HA
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 pm

euroman wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:
euroman wrote:

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.

DC_20833 wrote:

Other Peruvians who have dogs have offered me cash to walk their dogs but I can`t because I don`t have the proper visas.

HA HA HA

Tomorrow I am going to inmigration to apply for my ´´DOG WALKING VISA``

HA HA HA

The simple fact of the matter is this.
It doesn't matter whether you want to work as a dog walker, run a launderette or take up employment as a brain surgeon, to work in any capacity in this country you need the necessary work visa without which you might just be eligible for deportation. It is ILLEGAL.
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 am

I agree with George go work.

To the poster.Stop complaining and go work. If you really need the money and are willing to work you can do it. Your post was very negative. Why did you not say that you were willing to work your butt off to earn money to leave Peru. I am sure you would have got some potential job offers doing something..

You have been in Peru for a long time and you have seen many Peruvian people work their butt off for their families and themselves. Go workkkkkk.

euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:59 pm

markr wrote:
euroman wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:
euroman wrote:

The simple fact of the matter is this.
It doesn't matter whether you want to work as a dog walker, run a launderette or take up employment as a brain surgeon, to work in any capacity in this country you need the necessary work visa without which you might just be eligible for deportation. It is ILLEGAL.

Markr, that might be the solution for him. I am 100% sure, when he works illegal without a visa and get caught the Peruvian government will give him a free ticket home. (now I understand why many sick Peruvians are dying on hospital floors because they cannot afford treatment and people die of hunger... because the government spends so much money on free airline tickets for foreigners.)
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Bilingualtech just asked a question and needed an idea. Work? Funny! He was sick of being here and wanted to go back immediately. Who knows what happened, life can be cruel sometimes, especially when you are in a foreign country like this one here, with a foreign culture and different language. I totally understand him.
If I am in that situation one day, that I am out of money, probably frustrated and depressive, can't afford my appartment or a flight and someone answers me in that totally arrogant way "Work" - well thank you, nice help! And the other guy, what did you want to pay him, 50$ a month, 100$ or what? How much is a ticket back home? One way to Europe is around 700 or more €, not much cheaper to the US! Work - in Peru - how much more time will it take, when every day more already hurts!
He found a solution, probably he is already back home - or maybe still walking...Now to call this guy in need "lazy" or other stupid things just because he did not react to some strange job-offer is quite unfair and arrogant.

Friends are everything. Important to make a lot in your new world here. And it is easy to do so in Peru. Friends can help in these situations and it seems to me that Bilingualtech did not have a lot of them.
But in this forum, you better don't look for them...
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:16 pm

How can we know if his sad story is genuine?

When we were in Lima last month, we were was walking in Larcomar.

A foreign guy with came to talk to us. He said that he has lost his job and wanted to go back home, he said that he got no money left and asked for money to pay for food and airfare. I said that I didn´t believe him, he then asked me to ´borrow´ the money. He offered to pay it back when he´s back in the US.

An hour later, I walked past La Tiendecita Blanca opposite Kennedy Park and that same guy was eating there.
We were hungry too so I thought, I must me a very cheap place as that beggar was eating there and the place looked nice. So we went in, sat at a table and looked at the menu.

My novia told me to put my jacket back on as she wanted to leave. We couldn´t afford to eat at that place.
We went to Magdalena instead and have eaten at a nice restaurant for 10 soles (for two people)
In La tiendecita blanca, we could't even drink an inca cola for that money.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 am

euroman wrote:How can we know if his sad story is genuine?

When we were in Lima last month, we were was walking in Larcomar.

A foreign guy with came to talk to us. He said that he has lost his job and wanted to go back home, he said that he got no money left and asked for money to pay for food and airfare. I said that I didn´t believe him, he then asked me to ´borrow´ the money. He offered to pay it back when he´s back in the US.

An hour later, I walked past La Tiendecita Blanca opposite Kennedy Park and that same guy was eating there.
We were hungry too so I thought, I must me a very cheap place as that beggar was eating there and the place looked nice. So we went in, sat at a table and looked at the menu.

My novia told me to put my jacket back on as she wanted to leave. We couldn´t afford to eat at that place.
We went to Magdalena instead and have eaten at a nice restaurant for 10 soles (for two people)
In La tiendecita blanca, we could't even drink an inca cola for that money.

Surely this can't be a true story.
You have to be rather naive to think that you're going to get a cheap meal in La Tiendecitblanca. You only have to take a look at the place and it speaks for itself.
What you do get though, is excellent food and impeccable service in nice surroundings. For this there is a price, for those who don't wish to indulge then there's Mc Donalds just across the road.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:22 am

calledtoperu2009 wrote:We do not know.

Calledtoperu is right. We just don't know enough about this guy's situation to make judgements. I sincerely hope he is a lazy good for nothing just looking for an easy handout. If not, some of the comments couild have been hurtful. Lets hope he has found better times in a more supportive environment and is not lying destitute in some gutter. Credit to those who did try and give helpful advice though. I'm not saying someone should have helped him out with money, I just agree that nobody knows enough to pass judgement.
Tom
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am

All I know is when I saw him, he said he had not had a bite in weeks - so I bit him!

I just couldnt resist.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am

calledtoperu2009 wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:
euroman wrote:

Good answer, George.

I would do the same.

Ouch. That's pretty strong DC for not knowing why he didn't respond to you. To be honest, when I read your ad for employment there was not a whole lot of information. Maybe he felt he may not have qualified. Maybe he did not have a resume, or hopefully he may have gotten another job. Maybe he is back home in the US with family trying to regroup and start over.

We do not know.

Something that bothers me is when people assume to know another persons situation, and then pass judgement. Just because he did not email you does not mean the guy is lazy and looking for hand-me-outs. He was looking for suggestions, just like we all do on here from time to time. That does not mean he needs to take yours.

Sorry to be so blunt. I just felt like your comments are pretty contrary to what the expat forum is all about. I would hate for you to fall on hard times and someone respond to you in the way you responded to them.

Pass Judgment hmm.... This person was obviously was in a hard spot had I been in the same situation I would have least sent an email. I have fallen on hard times in the past and I explored all angles. While life at this point has treated me well financially it wasn`t that way when I was younger. I worked and explored every opportunity presented. I would have sent the email, the Peruvian did and I am glad he did he will be great employee. My Visa allows me to hire two foreigners for Paralegal Work only and I would have been able to get the correct visas I only hire within the laws here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register