3G Internet on Phone Purchased Overseas

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

3G Internet on Phone Purchased Overseas

Postby cuymagico » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:03 am

The people at Claro told me that I could not get internet on my 3G worldband smartphone that I brought from the US, not for any technical reason they knew of, just because as policy they only allow the models of phones they sell onto their network (e.g., you can use an iphone because Claro sells it). I can use it for calls.

This makes no sense to me.

Has anyone signed up for 3g internet with a device bought overseas?

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3G Internet on Phone Purchased Overseas

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:42 am

I use 3G internet on the laptops & netbooks I have bought overseas and have been extremely happy! Does anybody know if I can connect up my Wii?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:08 pm

What they may be saying: 3G devices are designed for their own networks.
Just as in the USA you cannot use ATT 3G/4G on a Verizon network, these are two separate networks.
I shut off my 3G when in Peru, sometimes providers like ATT has contracts with local foreign companies and the charges are like $2.00 per minute or for a data plan is can be more.

I use my I-Phone (ATT) Wifi and use Vonage (voip) on cell phone (you can also use Skype )to call US and Peru (Peru is a local call - no charge). I also use the wifi in Peru to access internet (have to have access to wifi services, cafe, home or public place).
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I use 3G internet on the laptops & netbooks I have bought overseas and have been extremely happy! Does anybody know if I can connect up my Wii?

The card and plan(USB) you purchased in Peru allows you to connect 3G, but a notebook 3g card will not allow you to connect if it is from a company like ATT. You can connect WII to your home internet (wifi or cable connection). This is if you have internet and a WIFI adapter for WII.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:22 pm

The reason you can't use a Verizon phone on ATT, or on Claro or Movistar for that matter, is that Verizon uses a different technology from the rest. It doesn't use SIM cards, for instance. Ditto, I think, for Sprint and a couple others. I am using my ATT phone here in Peru on Claro for voice calls without a problem because it uses a SIM card (as I noted in my previous post). It's a quad-band world phone that works in just about every country in the world (except Japan and Korea) at least for voice.

However, to work for internet it needs a specific frequency code and Claro won't give it to me, or at least the people I talked to wouldn't. I've read about hacks, but I don't want a hack, for a number of good reasons.

I'm wondering if anyone with a 3G phone that is not sold in Peru has managed to get Claro or Movistar to let them sign up for internet access, since it often seems with something like this that it all depends on who you happen to talk to when you ask.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I have two unlocked(by ATT) Blackberry phones that I brought from the States and use with Movistar, I used to have internet access, but I really don't need it. Never had any issues.

http://www.movistar.com.pe/default2.aspx?id=251&v=1&pag=233
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:14 pm

scott wrote:I have two unlocked(by ATT) Blackberry phones that I brought from the States and use with Movistar, I used to have internet access, but I really don't need it. Never had any issues.

http://www.movistar.com.pe/default2.aspx?id=251&v=1&pag=233

Yeah, Blackberry and iphone are really popular in Peru. But I want an Android, darnit! (and I may be leaving Peru permanently later next year so I'm not tying myself down)

Anyone using an Android phone in Peru?
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 - 3G phone that I bought used in the states (T-mobile). I unlocked it online and then brought it here to Peru without any problems. I use Claro.

I use the phone in 3G without any problems.
Regards,

George
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Buy any quadband GSM phone in the US, unlock it, and you can use it on Claro or Movistar. Android, iPhone, whatever. It's not that complicated. This phone http://www.google.com/nexus/ will work on Claro or Movistar. It's sold unlocked (not cheap).
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ruud » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:40 am

Yes, I know a way how you can.

Alpineprince wrote:I use 3G internet on the laptops & netbooks I have bought overseas and have been extremely happy! Does anybody know if I can connect up my Wii?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:24 am

Actually I am just buying a Iphone 4 with Claro. If you buy 3G ( 3 GB limit, 1500 kb speed ) it costs you S/. 89 a month if you put it on an existing line, but only S/. 50 if you put a new line in your contract. ( We have a 'bolsa de minutos', and you can add new lines into that for S/. 20 a month ). The Iphone costs then S/. 1699 cash.

But separately of the bolsa, they offer a 'smart' plan, of S/. 99 a month, which includes 85 minutes CDI ( any number in the world ), 30 SMS, 3G (3 GB limit, 1500 kb speed ), and unlimited RPM ( calls over their private network with other Claro phones ). Then the Iphone costs S/. 1535 cash. It is a 12 month contract.
You must be on Planilla ( and have good credit record ) or buy it through your company.

I suppose you could buy this plan with a phone brought from overseas, you just don't buy the phone ( of S/. 1535 ), but just the services )
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:22 am

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Buy any quadband GSM phone in the US, unlock it, and you can use it on Claro or Movistar.

I did buy a quadband gsm phone in the US from ATT, unlocked it, and am using it on Claro *for voice.* But Claro will not let me connect to their *data* network. Note that with my US ATT SIM card, I could access the data network here in Peru (at exorbitant rates). So it's not a technical issue per se. The phone can get on Claro's network it's just that Claro won't sell me a local plan (and yes, I'm a CE holder and have a postpago plan with Claro).

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Nexus S...

I have searched online all over and it is not at all clear that the Nexus S would work on Claro or Movistar Peru *for data*. We're not talking about an open playground like wifi. This is a subscription system and they can shut out whomever they want, for whatever reason, and one reason I suspect they would want to shut out phones they don't sell would be because they want to sell their own phones.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 am

Does anyone at all have an Android phone that they got to work in Peru for data? If so, what model, where did you buy it, and Claro or Movistar?

(I am aware that the iphone and blackberry are alive and well in Peru, this gives me hope...)
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm

cuymagico wrote:Does anyone at all have an Android phone that they got to work in Peru for data? If so, what model, where did you buy it, and Claro or Movistar?

(I am aware that the iphone and blackberry are alive and well in Peru, this gives me hope...)

Any luck with this? I just phone a Nexus One (Android) and am running into the same issue. Service was just activated today, but I'm going to go down to Jockey tomorrow and see if I can get the Internet service. I signed up thru Movistar.

UPDATE: I think it can be done bt setting up an Access Point Name in the settings. Anyone have Internet thru Movistar and would be willing to post the details from your settings?

I found this link but its for Claro, not Movistar:
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... ty-in-peru
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

What you may need to do is order a postpaid plan that comes with a 3g phone (obviously get the cheapest phone). Then put that chip into the phone you brought from your home country. Sell the phone that came with the plan if you wish.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:What you may need to do is order a postpaid plan that comes with a 3g phone (obviously get the cheapest phone). Then put that chip into the phone you brought from your home country. Sell the phone that came with the plan if you wish.

That might not work as the settings to connect to the internet are not stored in the chip.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 am

Here's the info you need:

Set an APN (Access Point Name) on your phone.

APN: movistar.pe
Username: [email protected]
Password: movistar
Authentication type: none
APN type: default
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

I did eventually get my Android phone connected myself withe information from the web, without help from Claro. In Android, the settings are a lot easier to access than they were in Windows mobile. The phone works great though I'm having trouble finding a replacement battery. Android has definitely not arrived in Peru.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 am

glad to hear it. The tech people at both claro and movistar are useless. When I went down to servicio tecnico, the guy told me absolutely that my phone could not be configured for internet. I looked at the settings he was trying to enter and he was on the completely wrong screen, trying to enter a VPN instead of an APN. I changed screens for him and had him enter everything again and it all worked fine.

One thing, would you mind posting the details of the APN you setup? I'm trying to get messaging working on someones phone, but I think there is an APN needed for MMS messaging.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm

NexLevel wrote:One thing, would you mind posting the details of the APN you setup? I'm trying to get messaging working on someones phone, but I think there is an APN needed for MMS messaging.

Go to Settings-->Mobile Networks-->Access Point Names

DATA GPRS
Name: DATA GPRS
APN: claro.pe
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
User name: claro
Password: claro
Server: not set
MMS port: not set
MCC: 716
MNC: 10
APN type: internet+mms

You could also Google gprs apn claro and see what comes up, if that doesn't work. That's how I found those settings.
mechem

Postby mechem » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

As long as your phone uses a SIM card, and is unlocked, it'll work. Plain and simple

Getting a post-paid plan for internet may not be as cut and dry. You may have to buy a phone and sell it later, which actually would net you a profit off the subsidized price.

Pre-paid internet prices are insane.
ozziej

Postby ozziej » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:04 pm

what about using an IPAD with the 3G option? Any luck here in Peru?
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

mechem wrote:As long as your phone uses a SIM card, and is unlocked, it'll work. Plain and simple

Getting a post-paid plan for internet may not be as cut and dry. You may have to buy a phone and sell it later, which actually would net you a profit off the subsidized price.

Pre-paid internet prices are insane.

That's just not true, about the internet. You can get on prepaid internet on Claro with the settings I provided above on any unlocked phone (and any phone can be unlocked with enough Googling for the unlock code or unlock app if it's an Android phone).

The prices are not insane. With claro right now I'm paying s./130 for one month of data that throttles after 3000 MB. That may seem expensive, but it compares well with options in the US. There is a cheaper plan with a lower throttle threshhold and there are also daily and weekly plans. Just dial *779 and wait for the data plans prompt.

As for the ipad, while I certainly haven't tried it, in principle the settings I posted above should work with any device. Whether the device is "unlocked" is another story.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 am

I thought I'd update this thread. I got an HTC android phone from Bell Canada locked to Bell and unlocked it here in Peru. I then took the prepaid Claro chip from my old phone and put it in my new phone. Then, I sent an SMS to 779 with just "1d" in the message box. (minus the quotes). This cost me S/.10 for 1 day of internet. (just for testing). I immediately got a response that my internet was activated. Then, via many google searches I figured out the APN settings:

Name: (whatever you want, I just put CLARO DATA)
APN: claro.pe
Port: 80
Username: claro
Password: claro
Everything else just leave default setting.

This gave me HSDPA / 3.5g access and it's pretty fast. Here's where I found the settings:
http://www.paraisoandroid.net/configura ... r-en-peru/

The prices as of today for Claro Prepaid Data are:
30 days - S/.130 - 3000MB data - (send code "30d") - to 779 via SMS
7 days - S/.45 - 700MB data (code to send is 7d)
1 day - S/.10 - 100MB data (code is 1d)

There are more plans. Go to a claro kiosk and ask for a the latest prices.
pcespedes

Postby pcespedes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 am

Hi,

I would like to know if you have the 1st version of the Nexus S that was sold in Best Buy for T-mobile, or the 2nd version that came for AT&T. I heard that the first version doesn't work for 3g in Peru, i hope they are wrong.

Also, i hope you can answer this cuy magico, how did you configure your claro phone to get 3g Internet in your nexus s? i would like to know if you can post the APN settings, you posted the mms settings only.

Hope you can help,

thank you.

-PC
pcespedes

Postby pcespedes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 am

can you post how did you configure your APN to work for 3g please? i have the first version of Nexus S that was sold at Best buy.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register