Safety in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Safety in Peru

Postby americorps » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 pm

I know you presume otherwise, but I have lived her 5 years and am going off personal experiences.

When I am warned, I always ask why.

I get a story 15 or 20 years old.

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm

koplinfamilia wrote: I can not say the same about Rochester, NY... don't know anyone who has ever been affected by crime at all and I've lived there most of my life.

I suppose we have different perceptions of Rochester. When I was up there, I was surprised at how bad it was. There's 5 degrees of separation from knowing someone who's either slinging, locked up or was murdered. I played softball in the city one year, and the game was called off, when someone took exception to an umpire's call and fired shots in the air.

I'm amazed that the city built Paetec park where they did (a stones throw away from drugs and prostitutes on Lyell and the side streets). More often than not, there was some nonsense going on in Rochester due to the drug trade. I head back up there every so often, and as long as I avoid the "bad" areas, I'm good to go. But that pretty much applies anywhere.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

People making comparisons to the US might be forgetting that violent crime in the US plunged between the early 1990s and early 2000s. The US is now one of the safest countries in the world to walk down the street (not so safe for domestic violence, gang and drug-related violence, motor vehicle homicide, etc. etc.). If you look at analyses of FBI homicide statistics, crimes where victim and perpetrator are strangers and that do not involve automobiles, drugs, or gangs, are really low, and I'd bet that deaths resulting from thefts or kidnappings are extremely low to the point of a theoretical danger.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

Apropos to this thread, just since it has started, 2 women I know have been robbed. One in Piura in the market, her purse was snatched off her shoulder... so violently that she went to hospital for arm damage. The second in Lima, in a taxi, with a gun, her friend was screaming and hysterical so she was hit to shut her up, went to hospital as well. Both are traumiaized, I can understand that, and it must make you nervous forever, hence people´s words to be cautious. It is one thing to see it on the news daily, but when you personally know victims and, so frequently, surely this is a HUGE problem.
Mystery
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mystery » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:44 am

teamoperu wrote:when you personally know victims and, so frequently, surely this is a HUGE problem.

Yeah this won't happen in the States or Canada as people don't know their neighbors :P

Peruvians talk with each others much more.

But yes what you say seems more violent than most of what I heard so far.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

teamoperu wrote:Apropos to this thread, just since it has started, 2 women I know have been robbed. One in Piura in the market, her purse was snatched off her shoulder... so violently that she went to hospital for arm damage. The second in Lima, in a taxi, with a gun, her friend was screaming and hysterical so she was hit to shut her up, went to hospital as well. Both are traumiaized, I can understand that, and it must make you nervous forever, hence people´s words to be cautious. It is one thing to see it on the news daily, but when you personally know victims and, so frequently, surely this is a HUGE problem.

This happens all the time, I am not surprised at all.
Mystery
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Still, I'm not the "free lunch" type. Most of the stories I hear about about women (because they're easier to steal), old people (because they're weaker) or passed-out people in taxis. I'm a 6' tall guy, they'll usually go for easier targets.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Mystery wrote:Still, I'm not the "free lunch" type. Most of the stories I hear about about women (because they're easier to steal), old people (because they're weaker) or passed-out people in taxis. I'm a 6' tall guy, they'll usually go for easier targets.

I am 6´3´´ and 254 pounds. Funny how people cross the road as I walk past. I think it is the way I look. To much lipstick and eye shaddow. Problem is I will never get robbed in a micro. I cannot get through the door. Ha Ha
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 pm

i have lived here almost all my life ,and i have only been robbed twice, once when i was whit my mother in gamarra in the late 90s , and the other time was in Arequipa avenue, 2 men surrounded me , while i was bigger than them and confident on my strength , the thieves often carry little knives , little sharp metals called verduguillos and sometimes even guns, and a few soles doesnt worth you getting badly injured or killed, so is always safer to just give the thieves what they want , and they will leave you alone .

apart from that, i was about to get robbed 3 times, but i learned from a friend that if you run, thieves wouldnt follow you, coz they are too lazy to do so, they prefer to just wait for another victim .
Last edited by El Tunche on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 pm

El Tunche wrote:apart from that, i was about to get robbed 3 times, but i learned from a friend that if you run, thieves wouldnt follow you, coz they are too lasy to do so, they prefer to just wait for another victim .

Haha! That's true EVERYWHERE and something I learnt from my childhood. The best trick though is to simply walk fast everywhere... they just don't bother targeting you in the first place, they go for the dawdlers who look and walk like they don't know where they are.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:59 am

The best trick is to not allow anyone to approach within 2 meters of your person if it is after dark. If you are walking on the streets, use the city to pay attention to what's behind you, shadows, mirrors, etc. If you are waiting for a taxi, stand in front of something, a bus stop, another vehicle, so no one can approach you from behind. Make sure you don't have anything on your body that can be easily cut and grabbed. Like previously mentioned walking fast is also a very good thing. Like all other animals, these predators out here look for easy targets, and if they think you're not one they are going to say 'next'.

Ever notice when riding in a taxi that sometimes they have screwdrivers in the air conditioning vents? That isn't for repair. That's the Lima taxi driver weapon of choice, a screwdriver, which says a lot lol.

Yesterday I was waiting for a cab in Barranco in the plaza, and a driver pulled up to me with a front seat open and the backseat occupied by 2 young males. Obviously I didn't get it and there was a big chance they would try to rob me and do one of those temporary kidnap ATM things.

I personally know a foreign girl who was stabbed in Miraflores 2 weeks ago. She lived, but still, sad stuff.

I think if your a male and your vigilant you will be ok. Personally no one has ever tried to take anything from me by force but they've tried to do it to my girlfriend or they've tried to pickpocket me or the general everyday bullshit of living in Lima. If you're a female, especially a young one, you really need to excersize a lot of caution if living in Lima because you don't want anything bad happening to you here. I bought my girlfriend a high voltage tazer to keep in her purse, not one of those tazers you can get drunk and taze yourself with, but this thing will knock you unconscious after about a second : ) I also carry a 'just-in-case' credit card knife which is a pretty good concealed weapon, easily accessible, and can make it through patdowns. http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-318125.html . Lima is a good place to be paranoid.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm

El Tunche wrote:i have lived here almost all my life ,and i have only been robbed twice ... apart from that, i was about to get robbed 3 times

"only been robbed twice" ONLY? plus 3 attempts. and you are young and strong. k chevre. thinking the delequentes are winning here when we say only twice. I am guessing you didn't report them, not worth the effort, I know.

Like I stated before, I ask people, and it is rare to find someone who has not been a victim of a petty theft, once or "only twice" jeje
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

I was pickpocketed here once and attempted a second time five years in Lima

I was robbed at gun point and knife point 3 times in Washington DC.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Still man, Lima is a megalopolis , and back in the 90s poop was really messed up , plus i like to go to "unsafe " areas late at night , coz there is where all the fun is located, but tahts another topic,

Still , i recent years i feel a lot safer tahn before .
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 pm

i got pickpocketed in Iquitos - never again! I was naive and didnt think it would happen to me.

I am paranoid now and will be until i return to my country....
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Mystery
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 pm

stuart wrote:Haha! That's true EVERYWHERE and something I learnt from my childhood. The best trick though is to simply walk fast everywhere... they just don't bother targeting you in the first place, they go for the dawdlers who look and walk like they don't know where they are.

Now I prefer that and a few stuff that were just said: taking responsibility for your safety instead of living in fear. Besides, you attract what you focus on. If you focus on all the possible robberies that can happen, that's what you attract into your life. If you know what you're doing and move on, they'll look for easier targets.

Like this one guy in Miraflores, I was walking in the street and he was saying "hi" while wanting to shake my hand out of nowhere. I didn't shake his hand and I kept walking because the only reason I can think for a strangers to make physical contact with me is to do some robbery tricks. I've seen plenty of that in Barcelona. When you aren't used to it, they can literally confuse you with weird stuff and walk away with your wallet before you realize what happened.

Having been in Barcelona, I thought that stuff wouldn't happen to me but it did, so now I'm very careful. But I don't want to live in fears either. I just don't stop for guys doing weird stuff.

This side story may be relevant to this thread. One time I was walking across France. I was totally exhausted and needed to hitch-hack to get to the next city. Nobody was stopping. After a long time, a car stopped and told me they'd bring me there for 5$. I said OK and went in. The back seat was broken and you could take it off, and there was a lot of smoke in the car. The guy then said it would be 10$. I said "No, you said 5$". He started asking me all kind of questions... what's my job, what I'm doing here, etc. Basically he's trying to intimidate me and figure out if I have money. I answered vaguely and didn't really care. Then I asked him "and you what's your job?" and he said "I'm a drug dealer". I started telling stories about a friend of mine in Quebec who was selling drugs. By the way they weren't even planning to go to the city I wanted to go. At some point they stopped to get some gas. I grabbed my huge back-pack and ask them which road leads to that city and the guy pointed the road up the hill. I said "I'll go with people who are actually going that direction" and I walked up the hill to wait for another car. Nothing happened.
cleo

Postby cleo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:18 am

Hi, I have been living in Lima for almost two years now. I 'm a woman and up till today I'm incident free. No robbings, muggings nothing.

I particularly like to go shopping to the plaza in San Miguel at night. 80% of the time I'm alone.
In the beginning the taxi drivers would hear my accent and charge me almost double. I was robbed in this way.

I'm pregnant and was told that I should never take the taxi alone, because, the driver will take me to a remote area and cut my baby out and sell it on the black market.
Well, I have been taking the the taxi alone and at night to my doctors appointments. I never had any problems. I'm always alert and I'm aware of my surroundings.
Take it easy, one day at a time. Ease into your new life here.

Just be alert of your surroundings and in time you will begin to enjoy Lima.

I guess that
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:17 pm

El Tunche wrote:...so is always safer to just give the thieves what they want , and they will leave you alone

At that point they are no longer thieves because you are voluntarily giving them whatever they have asked for. If we all just roll over when approached, we encourage and perpetuate thievery. And for some, regard for safety sometimes takes a back seat to other personal values.

Tom
anuta

Postby anuta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Chiclayo gringo wrote:
El Tunche wrote:...so is always safer to just give the thieves what they want , and they will leave you alone

At that point they are no longer thieves because you are voluntarily giving them whatever they have asked for. If we all just roll over when approached, we encourage and perpetuate thievery. And for some, regard for safety sometimes takes a back seat to other personal values.

Tom

This is the advice police gives us here in Canada. If you fight and the thief is stronger than you, you'll lose anyways, but will be beaten up in addition to it. I understand what Tom is saying but the question is what is more important, your life and safety, or your principles. And I don't think the thief will learn anything, he'll just pass on to a weaker victim.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:37 pm

anuta wrote: And I don't think the thief will learn anything, he'll just pass on to a weaker victim.

And therein, a lesson is learned; don't rob someone who may be stronger than you :wink:
anuta

Postby anuta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:45 pm

rama0929 wrote:
anuta wrote: And I don't think the thief will learn anything, he'll just pass on to a weaker victim.

And therein, a lesson is learned; don't rob someone who may be stronger than you :wink:

Yea, but then, you'll have to start over with each thief. :lol:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

A. Einstein
Mystery
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:56 am

rama0929 wrote:And therein, a lesson is learned; don't rob someone who may be stronger than you :wink:

Most thieves know that and that's why they usually look for "free lunch" type of people... or fearful people, or people who'll just give them what they want. If you don't look like a "free lunch", most will look for easier targets. Many people can't control themselves and become very reactive when they get in dangerous situations.

I know how to fight... and because of that I never had to fight in my entire life.
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Commom sense when you go out is to take as little cash as you need. Withdraw money in safe areas, leave your major credit card at home and only use your cell inside stores or out of a crowd. When it is pay day, I just go across the street to put the money in my account and just keep 10 20 soles on me. i have never been robbed but witnessed several assaults. Most of my female inlaws including my wife have been victim of a robbery at least once.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 pm

pingouin59 wrote:Most of my female inlaws including my wife have been victim of a robbery at least once.

This is what you need to pay attention to. If you ask Peruvians if they personally have been robbed or mugged you will usually find that most of them have been, especially women (in my case my fiance's brother and uncles have also been mugged several times, by the way). This tells you all you need to know about safety in Peru. Again, it is not imaginary or "paranoid", crime is incredibly high here and the sooner you accept this the better, because then you can take the necessary precautions.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 am

How many people do you know who have been the victim of a violent crime? I know several people here that have been pickpocketed, and my husband had his backpack stolen - but I don't know one person who was ever violent assaulted or raped - something that has happened to several friends in the US.

In Peru, I may have a greater chance of being pickpocketed or having my purse stolen, but despite that I feel much safer here. Here, I don't worry about being raped or murdered in the street - or attacked in my home.

The per capita murder rate in Lima (from the most recent documentation I can find) is 7 out of 100,000. The national rate goes up to 10 out of 100,000. Compare that to the per capita murder rates in large cities in the US, or to the per capita of individual states.

I'll choose walking through Surquillo over walking through South Central every time.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

tomsax wrote:I think it's a Peruvian cultural thing that they feel they should warn all visitors/tourists of the possible dangers. In many countries this would be considered almost unpatriotic but not in Peru. Many Peruvians like to suggest this great big "other" that you should avoid and they want to say has nothing to do with them. It's a sympton of the lack of mutual trust that exists in Peruvain society.

This makes them more likely to warn of the dangers which do really exist.

Exactly!!
Comet

Postby Comet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Mystery wrote:
rama0929 wrote:And therein, a lesson is learned; don't rob someone who may be stronger than you :wink:

Most thieves know that and that's why they usually look for "free lunch" type of people... or fearful people, or people who'll just give them what they want. If you don't look like a "free lunch", most will look for easier targets. Many people can't control themselves and become very reactive when they get in dangerous situations.

I know how to fight... and because of that I never had to fight in my entire life.

Mmmm..you don´t know how to fight if you have never done it. That´s like saying you know how to swim because you watched a holiday show. I come from Scotland...we fight all the way through primary school to adulthood...we DO know how to fight...but that´s because we learned.
You are right about one thing though...I used to teach self-defence...and the very first thing I taught was..if you look like a victim then you will be a victim...if people look suspicious...walk tall look them in the eye and keep walking.
And ladies...basic self-defence..SCREAM and don´t stop...nobody wants the attention that brings...if you can attack the eyes with all your strength....get your fingers and nails as far into their eyes as you can.............. I am 6ft 4, 15 stones, black belts in judo and ju-jitsu....and I know I couldn´t do a thing if someone scratched and gouged my eyes...nothing works better or is easier to do.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Kelly wrote:How many people do you know who have been the victim of a violent crime? I know several people here that have been pickpocketed, and my husband had his backpack stolen - but I don't know one person who was ever violent assaulted or raped - something that has happened to several friends in the US.

In Peru, I may have a greater chance of being pickpocketed or having my purse stolen, but despite that I feel much safer here. Here, I don't worry about being raped or murdered in the street - or attacked in my home.

The per capita murder rate in Lima (from the most recent documentation I can find) is 7 out of 100,000. The national rate goes up to 10 out of 100,000. Compare that to the per capita murder rates in large cities in the US, or to the per capita of individual states.

I'll choose walking through Surquillo over walking through South Central every time.

First of all, these statistics don't mean much because in Peru most crimes are not reported and I personally don't trust them. As I have said numerous times in this thread, it is the personal experiences that I trust and those tell me that crime here is incredibly high. This does NOT just include pickpocketing, but also violent muggings and, yes also rapes. I know a couple of girls here who were nearly raped in a colectivo. The muggers let everyone else go, but they had to stay. Some brave guy refused to leave without the girls who begged him not to leave them alone, even when they held a gun to his face. In the end the muggers let the girls go too, so they were lucky. Again, these are girls I have personally met here.

Personally I can't compare it to the United States (I am European), but I would be very surprised if things were that bad over there, except for maybe the very worst neighborhoods. In Peru 99% of the cities are like this, even smaller ones like Chimbote or Piura. Wealthy parts of Lima seem a bit safer, but I don't live there so I can't really say for sure. All I know is the places where I have lived here in Peru have very, very high levels of crime, so I know I need to take precautions. I don't spend all my time here in fear, not at all, but I know the reality and accept it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

Kelly, maybe a distinction between discussing the odds of petty theft versus being killed or raped. The odds of the latter for us might be low in Peru, though it happens because you see it on the news all the time. I have been referring to being mugged or loss of belongings.

But it is not like they are two different things, being raped and killed versus being a victim of a mugging. Last night talked a my friend. She was robbed twice last week. Once, in her not-so-good neighbourhood. She was at the corner hailing a mototaxi, a guy jumped and grabbed her purse and off they went. Not much in the purse. The second, she went to the bank, took out s/ 500 to pay bills. They must have been watching. She left the bank and a little down the street two guys grabbed her. She had her purse straps over her shoulder and the purse tightly under her armpit. They wrenched it out, leaving a huge bruise. They held her to take her cell out of her tight jeans front pocket. They bent back her fingers on hand and removed a small ring. She had to go to the hospital to check if her hand was broken, now she has a huge bruise on her hand, thumb swollen and immobile. They threw her down and ran, she has big bruises on her leg. No one intervened to help her. She is also now terrified to walk the streets.

I agree about the statistics. Few muggings are reported. But when you personally know people, you know it is a HUGE problem. I do not talk with a lot of people who have been murdered :-), but I sure talk to a lot who have been mugged.. and violently.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 am

That's exactly the distinction I was trying to make.

People hear about how "dangerous" Peru is, and they decide not to come, or they do come and they're too scared to walk outside. My point in the posts I've made in this thread have been that while there may be a higher risk of pickpockets and muggings, I actually feel safer here. In the US, they steal your purse, and then shoot you so that you can't identify them later.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:41 pm

My novia went to Lima recently and someone tried to snatch her handbag in Lince around 10pm.

She held on to her handbag. She felt on the ground got bruised slightly but she`s fine. (and the handbag too)
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:24 pm

"In the US, they steal your purse, and then shoot you so that you can't identify them later". Wow! Lived in the US most of my life, and I have never heard of that happening before. Have things actually changed that much since I have been outside the US?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

iron butterfly wrote:"In the US, they steal your purse, and then shoot you so that you can't identify them later". Wow! Lived in the US most of my life, and I have never heard of that happening before. Have things actually changed that much since I have been outside the US?

Depends on where you are. Sometimes a person is shot, sometimes someone takes a brick and goes upside their head, sometimes they beat the hell out of the victim, there's no one way thieves go about things.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... _dies.html
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 am

euroman wrote:My novia went to Lima recently and someone tried to snatch her handbag in Lince around 10pm.

She held on to her handbag. She felt on the ground got bruised slightly but she`s fine. (and the handbag too)

Dare I ask why your girl friend was walking around the streets on her own in Lince Of all places) at 10pm. ??????????
anuta

Postby anuta » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:51 am

adrian Thorne wrote:
euroman wrote:My novia went to Lima recently and someone tried to snatch her handbag in Lince around 10pm.

Dare I ask why your girl friend was walking around the streets on her own in Lince Of all places) at 10pm. ??????????

You make Lince sound like some terrible place. I lived in Lince and walked around, maybe not at 10 pm, but yes, alone at 8-9 pm and around the market. Since I never had a problem there, I think it's a relatively safe area. But I didn't use a purse and my little money was in my pockets. Of course, nowhere is 100% safe.

A. Einstein
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

Everything your carry that is visible and (potentially) valuable makes you a natural target, but I have to agree with Adrian, the odds will be even more against you if you carry these things at night in Lince (although not one of the worst districts of Lima, still with a lot of shady places).
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Dare I ask why your girl friend was walking around the streets on her own in Lince Of all places) at 10pm. ??????????[/quote]

She finished work around 10PM and had to take the bus to Villa El Salvador.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 pm

euroman wrote:She finished work around 10PM and had to take the bus to Villa El Salvador.

So let me get this straight.. You live like a king in Tarapoto under the palm trees with the beautiful Selva girls, taking them on your motorbike, and your girlfriend works her ... off in Lima, working till 10 pm, and then having to go all the way to Villa El Salvador even getting (almost) robbed ?! Hmmmm..
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 am

This is an interesting topic.

According to this Wikipedia table, the homicide rate for Peru and the US, respectively, in the most recent years for which stats were available, were 3.3 and 5.5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate Also, according to that article, the US has a much higher homicide rate than nearly all the other First World countries. As an American, I'd note that that rate is weighted upward by certain ultra high-crime regions, especially the poorer parts of the South, and less places like New York or Miami where lots of foreigners visit. For better or worse, violence is highly concentrated in certain regions and neighborhoods and the majority of Americans today just aren't worried about it. There is a really good article on crime in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

The article notes it's very difficult to compare the rates since they're calculated differently in each country. Personally I wonder if Peru is counting negligent motor vehicle homicide. I was definitely surprised by the low Peruvian rate. I really have trouble taking the Peruvian rate seriously since the rate just two years before was 5.5--a drop of almost half in two years.

The bottom line is that most Americans in 2011 hardly think about crime, while for nearly all limenos it's a daily preocupation.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:21 pm

You are probably not going to believe this but my fiance got robbed again last night. Some guy took her handbag and then took off on a motrocycle. Fortunately she did not get hurt and the robbery was not very voilent (unlike the last time, when they held a gun to her face).
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 pm

cuymagico wrote:This is an interesting topic.

Personally I wonder if Peru is counting negligent motor vehicle homicide.

I would assume that it doesn't, because the chart is for intentional homicide.
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Lima is a dangerous city as many big cities in the world are but I think the tabloids and Noticieros do nothing to calm the phobia of the llimenos. These so called journalist act as scavengers and no blood stains, nor grieved widows lamentings are spared to us. I hate this voyeurism!
Mystery
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 pm

I haven't really watched brain-washing TV for years... and haven't opened it yet since I'm in Peru.

I went to Barcelona last year and there was much more robberies than usual. A friend of mine who lives there is now telling me that half the people aren't working with the economy and there is even more robberies now.

Considering this, I'm not sure I would visit Barcelona right now, and I wonder which one is the more dangerous for robberies between Barcelona and Lima right now.
tonisdad

Postby tonisdad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm

On a quick note, I believe Lima is a place to be very careful. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life and I am not used to the added precautions, but my wife has been robbed at gunpoint going up the elevator at Ace in La Molina after visiting the ATM machine and twice had hands reach into her car to take her purse.
I guess the good thing is she is OK and she possibly put herself in these situations but please don't take Lima lightly.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

tonisdad wrote:On a quick note, I believe Lima is a place to be very careful. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life and I am not used to the added precautions, but my wife has been robbed at gunpoint going up the elevator at Ace in La Molina after visiting the ATM machine and twice had hands reach into her car to take her purse.
I guess the good thing is she is OK and she possibly put herself in these situations but please don't take Lima lightly.

Not just Lima, but all Peruvian cities. The choros really have taken over this country it seems.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:49 am

tonisdad wrote:On a quick note, I believe Lima is a place to be very careful. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life and I am not used to the added precautions, but my wife has been robbed at gunpoint going up the elevator at Ace in La Molina after visiting the ATM machine and twice had hands reach into her car to take her purse.

This reminds me of when I went on the tour bus to the big cross on the hill..... some guy tried to reach into the bus through an open widow and snag some ladies purse..... what a lovely city I'm going to call home!
:-)~mike~(-:
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 am

and when I lived in DC, besides the 9-11 attack, the anthrax killer, the father son sniper duo, just below my house a man shot another man 14 times for $2.50.

LIma is not nearly as dangrous as the town I used to call home.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 am

Interesting topic. Lima changed a lot since the time I grew up and walked around with my friends with no worries in places where now I wouldn't dare to go alone or never at night.

My husband and I have not been target of crime in our last trips, but my family and friends have:

2 weeks ago a friend found an intruder in her kitchen. She woke up in the middle of the night and found this guy who had entered through the 'azotea', roof.

My other friend left an Embassy and a few blocks ago, they were following her and stoped the taxi, broke the window and stole her purse and paperwork (visa, etc) thinking she was carrying lots of money.

They broke into another friend's house in the middle of the night. They didn't hear anything, didn't wake up, just found the next morning.

My friend's son (where I stay sometimes when I visit) in La Castellana was robbed at the corner of the house, when returning from classes at 8pm.

I could go on, unfortunately, one incident involved rape (besides robbery) which was never reported to the police. It happened in Surco in a very nice area.

I don't want to compare Lima to crime in other cities, with different social/economic factors. I am just trying to compare living in my current safe area and living in one of the more desirable areas Lima, and it just does not work. It would be not wise for me to tell Lima is safe. People just become more street savvy, are just plain lucky or just become more callous or get used/adapts to the circumstances. :cry:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:29 am

It would also not be accurate to say that Lima is any more dangrous that DC, or most inner cities in the USA.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:47 am

americorps wrote:It would also not be accurate to say that Lima is any more dangrous that DC, or most inner cities in the USA.

You are correct! That is what the comparison wouldn't be accurate. Too many socio economic factors are involved. No place is a 100% safe, anywhere. But the incidence of crime in the so called better areas in Lima is way too high.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register