OM nightclub

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Xibalba

OM nightclub

Postby Xibalba » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 am

Had an opportunity to go to a birthday party at OM, in the so-called VIP lounge, and I thought it was pretty good. Music started early with house and trance (made me feel at home) then progressed into more raucous reggaton and contemporary latin hip hop later in the evening, and some older latin favorites that the crowd loved, but which I didn't recognize. They serve some amazing food and the drink prices weren't' outrageous, if I recall. They claimed to have a dress code, but let me in with Converse sneakers saying "we make an exception for Americans" but I saw a lot of jeans and sneakers inside once we were in. Most of the women were wearing skirts so short they were basically belts. They do turn people away if you don't have the right look, but are not as picky as, say, a NYC club. Expect to get a brief pat-down by a suited doorman, though, before entry.

There seemed to be a mix of straight and gay there, intermingling just fine. The bathrooms were nice and clean, and attended. You WILL smell like smoke when you leave, though.

Anyone else go there?

Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: OM nightclub

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 am

Sounds like hell on earth. Thanks for the heads up :lol:
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 am

Xibalba wrote:Had an opportunity to go to a birthday party at OM, in the so-called VIP lounge, and I thought it was pretty good. Music started early with house and trance (made me feel at home) then progressed into more raucous reggaton and contemporary latin hip hop later in the evening, and some older latin favorites that the crowd loved, but which I didn't recognize. They serve some amazing food and the drink prices weren't' outrageous, if I recall. They claimed to have a dress code, but let me in with Converse sneakers saying "we make an exception for Americans" but I saw a lot of jeans and sneakers inside once we were in. Most of the women were wearing skirts so short they were basically belts. They do turn people away if you don't have the right look, but are not as picky as, say, a NYC club. Expect to get a brief pat-down by a suited doorman, though, before entry.

There seemed to be a mix of straight and gay there, intermingling just fine. The bathrooms were nice and clean, and attended. You WILL smell like smoke when you leave, though.

Anyone else go there?

I have been there a couple of times as I work just down the street from them. Cool place. Food is very good by the way. Reminds me of the Huaringas crowd.
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Xibalba wrote: They do turn people away if you don't have the right look

Reminds me when I went to a disco "El Piano" with my wife. They refused my wife on the dress code (she had just returned from Mancora with a mean tan), but when the found out she was with me, she was "pardoned". They'll always be a bunch of racists in those places.
Xibalba

Postby Xibalba » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Remigius wrote:
Xibalba wrote: They do turn people away if you don't have the right look

Reminds me when I went to a disco "El Piano" with my wife. They refused my wife on the dress code (she had just returned from Mancora with a mean tan), but when the found out she was with me, she was "pardoned". They'll always be a bunch of racists in those places.

That's kinda true throughout Peru. The conflict between "city" and "province" is very prominent. Not just the nightclub scene. I've seen it in restaurants, buses, and taxi stands.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Xibalba wrote:The conflict between "city" and "province" is very prominent.

It's racism, plain and simple. If this is one of those places where "reservamos el derecho de admision" I'm not having any part of it.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:07 am

That sort of racsim makes me sick to my stomach. I went once with a large group of people to Mamma Batataas at Larco Mar. There were 4 Peruvians and 4 Americans in my group and we were meeting about 6 other Europeans and Australians there.

By coincidence The 4 Americans took one cab and the 4 Peruvians a different cab and the Peruvians got there first. When our cab got there, the Peruvians were waiting behind a chain to get in, so we went to get in line behind them, but the body guard ushered us on in. I presumed because we were meeting people and I tried to explain to the body guard that 4 people in the line were with us.

The body guard misunderstood me and he explained that those people in the line would probably not be let in because they were, and he said this in English. the wrong type. I asked because they were from the sierra and he said yes.

I called him about every name in the book, walked past security told the party what happened and we all left for another place with the manager running behind us begging us to come back.

I told her I would rather die than ever sit foot in her establishment ever again..and to this day I ask the bouncers if they are still racist every time I pass by the place.

About a month later I read in the Comercio that they were shut down for a month and fined a huge amount for the very same thing. I found out where and how to file a discrimination complaint so next time I catch them in the act, I will be ready.

it is a filthy, disgusting and illegal behavior not to be tolerated by any decent human being and racism in any form should be confronted strongly and fearlessly any time it raises it´s filthy ugly head.

To me, overlooking it is no different than saying Sure, Hitler had a problem with the Jewish people, but he sure kept the trains running on time.

Sure Mama Bataata has a problem with the dark skinned Peruvians, but she runs a hell of a bar.

I am NOT saying xilba feels this way, it is quite clear from his post that he did not see something like that, so please, I am not attacking anyone here, especially not xilba...he did nothing to support racism at all..to be clear. I know he is not like that, he hates racism.

I am attacking the very idea that places like this are allowed to operate in a civilized society at all. They should be shut down and the owner fined and jailed.

They are allowed to have racist thoughts, sure, but when they turn that to actions, it violates civil rights of others and that is where the line crosses from thought police to police action against those who violate the freedom of others.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 pm

It´s more a discrimination of poor people.
Poor people are the victims of discrimination and rich people are the cause.

It´s seems that discrimination happens mostly in Miraflores. An area full people who are lucky to have mucho dollares. They are lucky that have been given mucho dollares.

But the poor people have to work and still earn little money. But that´s how it is. If your are poor, it´s because you are poor. And if people are rich, it´s because your are rich and have been given mucho dollares.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Euroman, it is both, but calling it classism is not quite accurate.

If you are well dressed and of lighter color skin, you will get it. If you are equally well dressed, but darker skin or have indeginous features, you will not.

Yes, the same set are at an economic disadvantage, but much like in the USA, if you are not of the right color or origin, you do not have the same opportunities as everyone else.

I once stood outside the ministry of he interior watching people come out at the end of the day and after watching nearly 1500 people I only saw about 5 that were black and less than a hundred that were from the sierra. Then 7 pm hit and there were many more black and sierra faces...of course they came out in cleaning uniforms.

it is racism and classism rolled into one.

Further, with my particular incident, most of the Peruvians in our group earned more than the gringos as most of us were English teachers. Economic status did not factor into it.
Nate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 pm

OM doesn't sound aprticularly inviting at this point in my life...

Any cruisey venues playing Soul and Funk?
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 pm

euroman wrote:It´s more a discrimination of poor people.

You're coming dangerously close to suggesting that dark skin=poor, which is just the kind of discriminatory attitude we're talking about.

When I go out to eat with my friend who makes enough money to put him well into the upper fifth of limenos, oftentimes I'm still the one who gets the check. This was even when I was looking for a job and counting every sol! You cannot tell how much money someone has just by looking at them.

And by the way, the worst discriminators against dark-skinned Peruvians are themselves dark-skinned Peruvians. I have often seen lighter-skinned Peruvians, especially "pitucos," trip over themselves to try to show how tolerant they are (though then again, some are horribly bigoted, especially in private).
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm

cuymagico wrote:
euroman wrote:It´s more a discrimination of poor people.

You're coming dangerously close to suggesting that dark skin=poor, which is just the kind of discriminatory attitude we're talking about.

When I go out to eat with my friend who makes enough money to put him well into the upper fifth of limenos, oftentimes I'm still the one who gets the check. This was even when I was looking for a job and counting every sol! You cannot tell how much money someone has just by looking at them.

And by the way, the worst discriminators against dark-skinned Peruvians are themselves dark-skinned Peruvians. I have often seen lighter-skinned Peruvians, especially "pitucos," trip over themselves to try to show how tolerant they are (though then again, some are horribly bigoted, especially in private).

Well to me (a pale European) 99% of Peruvians are dark skinned, even though they will insist they are blanco and feel insulted if you tell them they are not. My own fiance considers herself blanca (white skin) when to me her skin is brown, not white. Skin color is a very big deal here and dark skin is condidered low status and ugly.

However it is not just dark skin they don't like. If you are a pale person who does not tan easily (like me) you need very thick skin because most people hate it and think there is something wrong with you. You will get endless comments about it with everyone telling you you need to go to the playa, and "drink your coca cola" LOL.
cuymagico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cuymagico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 pm

KenBE wrote:
hey will insist they are blanco and feel insulted if you tell them they are not.

hahaha I'd love to see a video of you actually having this conversation, it would be interesting.

KenBE wrote: If you are a pale person who does not tan easily (like me) you need very thick skin because most people hate it and think there is something wrong with you. You will get endless comments about it with everyone telling you you need to go to the playa, and "drink your coca cola" LOL.

haha Growing up in the USA of all places I got comments like this all the time, I was too pale and needed to tan and I was too skinny and needed to eat more (obesity and skin cancer, God Bless America!) I find in Peru or at least Lima people are sensitive enough not to bother me with it too much. That sucks that you're getting that crap here. The one bright side of Latin American skin color neurosis (as opposed to North American skin color neurosis), is that I actually learned not to feel ashamed of my skin color. Really, why do people feel the need to indoctrinate kids with this kind of stuff??

OP, what about some of the mixed tourist/expat/local Peruvian bars like Tayta on Larco in Miraflores?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:11 pm

cuymagico wrote:
KenBE wrote:
hey will insist they are blanco and feel insulted if you tell them they are not.

hahaha I'd love to see a video of you actually having this conversation, it would be interesting.

KenBE wrote: If you are a pale person who does not tan easily (like me) you need very thick skin because most people hate it and think there is something wrong with you. You will get endless comments about it with everyone telling you you need to go to the playa, and "drink your coca cola" LOL.

haha Growing up in the USA of all places I got comments like this all the time, I was too pale and needed to tan and I was too skinny and needed to eat more (obesity and skin cancer, God Bless America!) I find in Peru or at least Lima people are sensitive enough not to bother me with it too much. That sucks that you're getting that crap here.

I get this about 80% of the time when I meet new people here in Peru. It seems like Peruvians feel like it is their duty to tell you what is "wrong" with the way you look: too pale, skinny, fat etc. Personally I think it is very rude, but it is seems like it is just the culture here and I am getting used to it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register