Interpol check

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interpol check

Postby Jennifer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi all. I want to stay in Peru permanently but have a question. I realize that to get any form of residency or permission to stay long term i.e CdeE, you must go through an interpol check - i.e work visa, marriage etc requires this.
Does anyone have experience with this that had once been arrested and cautioned or charged with something in their native country?
If so, will that show up on this check, or are they just looking to see if you're on the world's most wanted list? Does anyone have a definite and clear answer that's 100% accurate rather than just opinion?
Thanks in advance
Jen

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interpol check

Postby americorps » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

This website has a great search engine. This question comes up quite often and here are some discussions about the topic.

It may help with some of the answers, but probably not all.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7887&p=54976&hilit=interpol#p54976

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10920&p=64321&hilit=interpol#p64321

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7603&p=50534&hilit=interpol#p50534
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:02 pm

If you are from the USA and were "convicted" of a crime it will show up on your FBI report. No conviction/no problem!
M.Lockwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby M.Lockwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 pm

I am from the UK and have been charged with a 'violent crime' in my youth.

My criminal record is valid until 21... So it exists, it was just not a problem.

It wasn't mentioned and I am almost certain it is more murderers, rapists, paedophiles, money laundering etc etc.

Most wanted too of course!
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Usually it depends on what the crime was. I know they generally tend to only care about felonies (or your country's equivalent) and those that have served time in their home countries.
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Mr Lockwood. Thanks for that information. So, when you received the background check back here in Lima and collected it from interpol (by the way, how long did it take to come through?) did it have your past conviction on there? Did they say anything to you? Do you know if warnings show up? I did something silly a few years ago and don't want it to inpede my life here. Any suggestions/advice?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm

The interpol check usually takes about 48 hours. Interpol is more concerned with things like drug traffickers, human trafficking, fugitives, money laundering and such. They aren't too concerned with petty crime from home.
M.Lockwood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby M.Lockwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Kelly wrote:The interpol check usually takes about 48 hours. Interpol is more concerned with things like drug traffickers, human trafficking, fugitives, money laundering and such. They aren't too concerned with petty crime from home.

Amen to that.

Nothing was mentioned, nothing was a problem.

Like Kelly says, it's BIG crime they want.

I don't know the severity of what you did, and nor do you need to tell us, but I failed a CRB check in the UK as it was classed as a 'violent crime', and had absolutely no problems.

I worried a little, but really, it's the big boys they want.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register