Babies, fiances...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Chucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Babies, fiances...

Postby Chucky » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi all,

Last Monday I was a bachelor in the U.S. carrying on with my business as usual. On Tuesday, that all changed as I learned that I am an expectant father with many big life decisions looming on the horizon. I have done some initial searching on this site to try to find answers to a few of the more immediate issues but I really want to open my situation up to the entire forum so that I can get the most relevant and current opinions/recommendations possible.

I am a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend lives in Lima. I last visited Lima in mid-January. She is two months into her pregnancy. She has a daughter from a previous relationship, and the delivery was by way of c-section. She had an echography last week but I don't know the name of her doctor/clinic. I am planning to marry her and would like to bring the family back to the U.S.

Some questions:

Since not all doctors/clinics are created equal, I would like to get her the best medical care in Lima. Does anyone have recommendations in this regard?

There has been mention that c-sections are performed for monetary/efficiency reasons rather than medical complications. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Will my name be on the birth certificate or will I have to get a DNA test to prove that I am the father?

What is the process to get her, her daughter and the baby to the U.S.?

Since my child will have Peruvian citizenship, will this make it easier for me to become a permanent resident of Peru if I so choose?

Please let me know if there are immediate issues I may not be anticipating.

Sorry to those of you who may have seen similar questions in the past. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Babies, fiances...

Postby tomsax » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Congratulations are in order!

I can't answer many of your questions. But, it will be easy for him/her to become a Peruvian citizen whether they are born in Peru or the US.

I'd be very surprised if you need a blood test but I don't know for sure.
Tom
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm

If you're planning on bringing them to the US, most of what you'll have to do is time consuming and tedious, sometimes confusing - but not particularly difficult.

The only hitch may be the daughter - it will depend on the father, is he involved, is he willing to let her leave the country?
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Life is good in Peru so it's better to stay here. And the economy in Peru is much better.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Chucky,

For one, congratulations on becoming a daddy!! :D

My husband moved to the US and we weren't married at the time, we applied for a Fiancee Visa. I did it all by myself, using the help of visajourney.com (awesome website!) and also the USCIS website. Your new addition does not need to be petitioned for as they will be a citizen, but make sure to have their birth registered at the US Embassy after the birth. Your stepchild can be added to the petition but you will need permission from her father.

As far as doctors, unfortunately I can't help you... all I know is that my in-laws go to the clinica Ricardo Palma and are very happy with the doctors there. As far as c-sections go, I've had one, I had twin boys who would not budge and I didn't have any other option. I had my daughter naturally (after the c-section) so it is possible to not have a c-section twice.

Good luck with everything and don't listen to any silly criticisms. Every person is different!

Te deseo suerte en todo! :)
anuta

Postby anuta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am

Chucky wrote:Some questions:

Since not all doctors/clinics are created equal, I would like to get her the best medical care in Lima. Does anyone have recommendations in this regard?

There has been mention that c-sections are performed for monetary/efficiency reasons rather than medical complications. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It depends what you consider the best care. Apparently for Peruvians it means being very medicalized. So the "best" clinics try to help the birth with meds and c-section pretty fast (but provide good service). That was the reason why I decided not to give birth in Peru (I received a lot of advice at the time from women who did give birth in Lima and I couldn't handle the idea of being operated). It's very possible that if she already had a c-section, they might do it the second time. It's known that there's a slightly higher risk to give birth naturally after a c-section, but in N.America, women usually have a chance to still try. It's something she'll have to discuss with her doctor and unless she really wants to try to give birth naturally, the doctor can always find reasons why it's not a good idea. But it will be her decision. In the case, she was looking for a less medicalized clinic, there's one called Hogar Maria, she can look it up in the yellow pages. They're into more "human" birth, as they call it.

I wouldn't recommend Clinica Ricardo Palma, my baby was treated there after an accident (broken leg) and there was absolutely no compassion, it was all about money. He wouldn't even get pain relief until my ex did the line up at the cash to pay. And he wouldn't be released until we paid, and even though we had the money, we had to wait until someone finds the time to give us the amount, do the lineups in different places, etc. It was ridiculous. I had to do a scandal so that somebody actually gives us the bill, otherwise my baby was going to spend the night in the post-operating room. I wouldn't trust a place where money comes before the person.

I also asked for info about giving birth there (before my son's birth obviously) and I noticed that most of the obstetricians were associates in the clinic, which in my opinion would make them biased (the most interventions they would perform, the more money the clinic would get).
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, you will need to get a blood test to establish paternity. You also must have resided in the US for the past 5 years and agree to support the child financially.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Congratulations!! I'm going through a similar process myself. I'm American with a Peruvian husband and I'm 7 months pregnant.

Montesur has by far the best reputation for mothers to be. I actually feel more comfortable giving birth here at Montesur, then traveling to the US for my birth. Many doctors speak English and were trained in the US.

As for the c-section vs natural birth debate in Peru, the vast majority of women I know here have had c-sections. This is a personal decision....most people leave it up to their doctor to decide and it seems that it's done for unnecessary reasons. I chose my doc specifically because he was known for encouraging natural births so as far as which doctor to chose, I would ask your girlfriend if having a natural birth is a piority and go from there...if not, then there are many excellent doctors at Montesur to choose from.

As I understand it, you don't NEED a DNA test to put your name on the birth certificate, but if you've been living in the US and she in Peru, then maybe it's not a bad idea to get one anyway...? (not that I'm making any assumptions, but you never know!)

Here is the link from the embassy regarding the information you will need to register your child as a US Citizen: http://lima.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html

If you get married, then it will be easy for you to become a resident here.

Good luck in this exciting time!!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Is there a cost associated with registering the birth of a child with the US consulate? If so what is it?
:-)~mike~(-:
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm

bmike1 wrote:Is there a cost associated with registering the birth of a child with the US consulate? If so what is it?

I have yet to read anything regarding a cost to register a child as a US citizen.
LauraMH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LauraMH » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

seb2010 wrote:
bmike1 wrote:Is there a cost associated with registering the birth of a child with the US consulate? If so what is it?

I have yet to read anything regarding a cost to register a child as a US citizen.

Yes I went through that whole process 8 months ago when my daughter was born. It's not just the record of birth but the passport etc. I'm still trying to get the social security card worked out.

It's around $150 or so if I remember. You need to do all the peruvian paperwork first. birth certificate, DNI and then get the appointment at the embassy. It's all explained for the various situations and configurations of families. Just find what applies to you. It takes about 15 days to get it after that, but taking them to the USA...don't know. We chose to stay here in peru.

Congrats!
Live, Love, Laugh
happyfeet1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby happyfeet1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Went through about the same thing a little over a year ago so I guess this is my area of expertise. I just scanned this real quick as I dont have much time so sorry if I repeat whats already been said.

-Cost to register birth is $100...process is delayed right now so it will take you a few months to actually get the certificate. You have to gather a ton of paperwork to go to a embassy interview with Mom & child which is a *****. Passport for baby is $105 but only takes a few weeks.
This should help for birth registration:
http://lima.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html

-You can get a residence in Peru for having a child under 18 but dont know anything of the process
-No DNA test is needed the mom just has to say your the dad for birth certificate. However, US embassy can request DNA test to prove baby's citizenship if they are suspicious. I did not have to do test. Either way you have take an oath stating your certain this is your baby & will provide financial support until the child is 18.
-For getting your girlfriend a visa check this page out:
www.visajourney.com

Read up about the K-1/K-2 visa for bringing her + other child to US as fiance or K-3/K-4 visa for marrying in Peru and then bringing her to US. Eitherway expect to pay $2000 to get her permanent residence in US & to have to wait anywhere from 6-9 months for visa to be given after beginning process. The visa requires a lot of paperwork, proving your relationship, etc. Not very fun but unless you have a lot of disposable income its easy enough to do yourself without a lawyer. Just need to pay a lot of attention to detail, double-triple check things & do the research.

Congrats & good luck
Feel free to PM me about anything & Ill try to get back to you when I have some free time.
jool
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jool » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello and congratulations!

I moved to Lima at 8 months pregnant from the UK specifically to have my baby here. My first child was born in the Dominican Republic by emergency c-section and so I had another here. In both places I was very pleased with the care I recieved, and the first time I didn't even speak much Spanish.

One of the things I really liked is that you have the pediatrician right there in the delivery room to recieve the baby and do all the tests immediately. The Peruvians are baby crazy and they coo and look after them amazingly well (I was even forced to walk to the nursery in day three to have a lesson on how to bathe my son before leaving the clinic).

I used clinica Javier Prado in San Isidro and was very happy. One thing I would say is that a lot of nurses and some doctors are not very insistent on breastfeeding. I told my obstetrician up-front that I wanted to breastfeed and she recommended a pediatrician who - according to the nurses - was a fanatic about it. Unfortunately they ignored my instruction to bring him (the baby, not the pediatrician!) to me in the night for feeds and kept giving him formula so he rejected the breast. But he is very healthy despite that.

Anything else I can help with just let me know. I have also written about the experience on my blog here:
http://peloinformal-livefromlima.blogsp ... -peru.html
and here:
http://peloinformal-livefromlima.blogsp ... -rule.html

Suerte!

Juliet
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

My son Enzo gerard was born last monday. We went to Clinica Jesus del Norte on Izaguirre Ave not far from Tupaz and the Metropolitano. My wife got C- sectionbecause according to her obstetrician she was too old ( 36) and her bones would be too hard for natural birth. Made me suscpicious but for the sake of my wife' s peace of mind,didn't say anything. Turns out that she needed a c- section because the baby had his ombilical cord around the neck. Apart from that assumption that they will always try to get as much money from your pocket, we were very pleased from the service and how nice and carinoso everybody was from the assistant nurse to the various doctors who attended her during the surgery. If you live around Los Olivos , Independencia , I would recommend the place.
SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT YOU COULD APPLY FOR RESIDENCY IIF YOU ARE THE FATHER OF A PERUVIAN CHILD (My little Enzo just went to the reniec today) WE WERE PLANNING TO GET MARRIED A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO OR AT LEAST START THE TRAMITES SO I WOULD NOT HAVE TO GO TO CHILI DO RENEW MY TOURIST VISA. S.... HAPPENS AND I BROKE MY LEG IN JANUARY,WAS NOT ABLE TO MOVE OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR MORE THAN SIX WEEKS AND THEREFORE THE VISA IS NO LONGER VALID. iF THERE WERE A WAY TO AVOID BORDER HOPPING I WOULD BE GLAD TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your son :) :)
Cruton
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cruton » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I agree, visajourney.com is place to go for free help on how to file the paperwork to get your girlfriend and her child status as permanent residents. You will eventually have to be married. You can either marry in Peru and then file the paperwork as a married couple, or apply for a fiance visa and then later marry in the United States.
Visajourney has worksheets on how to get started and how much everything will cost. With the current costs, just the forms for your wife will cost $1,490 (if you marry in Peru).

Good luck!!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register