Writers Wanted

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
lestat711
Silver Member
Silver Member

Writers Wanted

Postby lestat711 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 am

Hello to all ExpatPeru members,

My name is Rodney Dodig and I am a member of the Peru Writers' Group. We are looking for a couple of writers to join our group. We concentrate on fiction located in or about Peru. We meet once a week on Thursdays at 10:30am in the Patio behind Madre Natura to discuss and critque our work. We also have a blog where we post our short stories. http://peruwritersgroup.blogspot.com/

You can be an amatuer or professional as long as you are interested in writing fiction. We take turns submitting a piece for comments at each meeting. Generally, we E-mail the story to the other members a few days before the meeting.

Present members are:

Victoria Lugovskaya from Russia, a poet and writer of articles for Living in Peru
Larry Pittman from California (now living in Barranco) who writes a weekly column for Living in Peru
Rodney Dodig from Illinois (now living in San Borja) who write travel articles for Living in Peru and short stories.

Please E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Sincerely,

Rodney

bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Writers Wanted

Postby bmike1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:33 am

Are we supposed to write in Spanish or our native tounge?
:-)~mike~(-:
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm

It's all in English, Mike.
lestat711
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lestat711 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Mike,

Kelly is correct. We write our stories in english. Our target audience is people interested in coming to Peru and Peruvians plus other Latins who might want to read stories in english about Peru.

Doesn't matter if you are an experienced writer or not. Please contact me if you would like to join us.

Rodney
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:44 pm

you bet, rodney..... after I get there and have experienced Peru for a bit.
:-)~mike~(-:
Soltero de Repente
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Soltero de Repente » Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 am

lestat711 wrote:Doesn't matter if you are an experienced writer or not. Please contact me if you would like to join us.

I just finished James N. Frey's How to Write a Damn Good Novel. Don't let the ridiculous, marketing department-hyped title fool you. It's actually an unusually helpful book. A friend suggested I read it after I showed her a draft of my work, which she felt was full of typical beginner errors. I guess that makes me inexperienced.

Here's what Frey has to say about writing groups:

James N. Frey in Chapter Eight of How to Write a Damn Good Novel wrote:
There are basically three kinds of writers' groups: puff, literary, and destructive.

A puff group is fun to belong to. Whenever anyone reads a work, the criticism goes like this: "I loved the image of the flower growing up through the swimming pool. I loved every one of your characters more than I love my mother. Oh yes, and the green tortoise on the tie was a wonderful controlling metaphor."

This type of group often serves brownies and has a potluck every so often. After your work is read and discussed you will leave feeling like you're ready for the Nobel Prize. It's wonderful. Unfortunately, this type of group has ruined more writers than the McCarthy Committee. Stay for the brownies, bring soda biscuits to the potluck, but do not let them read your work, even if they pay you. You can gain nothing from flattery. It will destroy your determination by making you think your highly flawed first draft is a finished masterpiece.

A literary group is easy to spot. Ask the leader if he likes Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. If he has even read it past the third paragraph, you know you're in a literary group. This type of group will read your work and compare it to the masters. They will say things like "Oh, you should read Smirnoff's Confessions of a Mad Madam." You'll learn more about existentialism and imagists and Freudian allusions than you ever dreamed there was to know. Literary groups serve brie and white wine (the kind that comes in bottles with corks, never the kind that comes with screw-on tops). The cheese and wine are often very good. The criticism is invariably very bad. Knowing that you write like Bertha McFauncy will not help you an iota. The kind of writers you encounter here will be writing "experimental" prose. Why they are experimenting and what exactly the experiment is, most of them won't know.

The destructive groups are the only kind that are truly worthwhile. On your first visit to a destructive group, you'll think you've fallen into a new kind of psychotherapy where the idea is to destroy the writer's ego. You'll hear things like "Hey, come on, punch it up, your characters are acting like a bunch of pantywaists. These guys are supposed to be Marines, not hairdressers!" This is destructive criticism at its best. In some workshops, attacks on the author are allowed. You'll hear things like "You write vapid crap like this ‘cause you're just a housewife. Get out in the world!" Or, "This reads like it could have been written by a Republican," and so on. Most destructive criticism groups, however, limit the criticism to the work. They have plenty of fun turning your precious prose into cole slaw. This is good. It's hard to take, but you don't make steel in a hot tub; you make it in a blast furnace.

I'm curious what kind of writers' group you have formed, whether it even fits within this typology. I would like to join a writing group, but I'm not sure I'm ready for puff or a Nobel prize, let alone the blast furnace.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Soltero de Repente wrote:
lestat711 wrote:Doesn't matter if you are an experienced writer or not. Please contact me if you would like to join us.

I'm curious what kind of writers' group you have formed, whether it even fits within this typology. I would like to join a writing group, but I'm not sure I'm ready for puff or a Nobel prize, let alone the blast furnace.

I think you have many hidden talents and need to expand on it.

Good Luck

Adrian
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sat May 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I propose Euroman for membership of the group. As everyone here can attest he tells the best tales.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

jude wrote:I propose Euroman for membership of the group. As everyone here can attest he tells the best tales.

What a fantastic idea. He has the most vivid, colourful and unsubstanciated imagination that I have ever come across, but his writing ability is so poor I am afraid he would not be coherent and therefore propose the writer with the best talent goes to Soltero de Repente
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sat May 21, 2011 6:26 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
jude wrote:I propose Euroman for membership of the group. As everyone here can attest he tells the best tales.

What a fantastic idea. He has the most vivid, colourful and unsubstanciated imagination that I have ever come across, but his writing ability is so poor I am afraid he would not be coherent and therefore propose the writer with the best talent goes to Soltero de Repente

Adrian, we could work together. I write my story and you correct my spelling mistakes. We could meet at STARBUCKS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Don't forget to bring your laptop.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sat May 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Yes! I heartily endorse a collaboration between Soltero de Repente and Euroman (or is it really Euromen? sometimes I wonder given some of the contradictions in the stories). Surely their combined literary output will become the stuff of legends. Or at least be good for a few laughs.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sat May 21, 2011 9:33 pm

jude wrote:Yes! I heartily endorse a collaboration between Soltero de Repente and Euroman (or is it really Euromen? sometimes I wonder given some of the contradictions in the stories). Surely their combined literary output will become the stuff of legends. Or at least be good for a few laughs.

Jude, get some education. You need it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun May 22, 2011 2:01 am

Let's stop the insults and keep it on topic, folks.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sun May 22, 2011 4:04 pm

euroman wrote:Jude, get some education. You need it.

Thanks, that's good advice for everyone. Here's a recent story from the Guardian explaining how lifelong learning can be the secret to happiness in old age: http://www.guardian.co.uk/adult-learning/lifelong-learning-key-to-happiness

That aside I genuinely enjoy your posts, Euroman. Tell me, is one of your hobbies fishing? If so, I bet you've got some great stories about the one that got away.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed May 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Soltero de Repente wrote:

I just finished James N. Frey's How to Write a Damn Good Novel. Don't let the ridiculous, marketing department-hyped title fool you. It's actually an unusually helpful book. A friend suggested I read it after I showed her a draft of my work, which she felt was full of typical beginner errors. I guess that makes me inexperienced.

Here's what Frey has to say about writing groups:

James N. Frey in Chapter Eight of How to Write a Damn Good Novel wrote:
There are basically three kinds of writers' groups: puff, literary, and destructive.

A puff group is fun to belong to. Whenever anyone reads a work, the criticism goes like this: "I loved the image of the flower growing up through the swimming pool. I loved every one of your characters more than I love my mother. Oh yes, and the green tortoise on the tie was a wonderful controlling metaphor."

This type of group often serves brownies and has a potluck every so often. After your work is read and discussed you will leave feeling like you're ready for the Nobel Prize. It's wonderful. Unfortunately, this type of group has ruined more writers than the McCarthy Committee. Stay for the brownies, bring soda biscuits to the potluck, but do not let them read your work, even if they pay you. You can gain nothing from flattery. It will destroy your determination by making you think your highly flawed first draft is a finished masterpiece.

A literary group is easy to spot. Ask the leader if he likes Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. If he has even read it past the third paragraph, you know you're in a literary group. This type of group will read your work and compare it to the masters. They will say things like "Oh, you should read Smirnoff's Confessions of a Mad Madam." You'll learn more about existentialism and imagists and Freudian allusions than you ever dreamed there was to know. Literary groups serve brie and white wine (the kind that comes in bottles with corks, never the kind that comes with screw-on tops). The cheese and wine are often very good. The criticism is invariably very bad. Knowing that you write like Bertha McFauncy will not help you an iota. The kind of writers you encounter here will be writing "experimental" prose. Why they are experimenting and what exactly the experiment is, most of them won't know.

The destructive groups are the only kind that are truly worthwhile. On your first visit to a destructive group, you'll think you've fallen into a new kind of psychotherapy where the idea is to destroy the writer's ego. You'll hear things like "Hey, come on, punch it up, your characters are acting like a bunch of pantywaists. These guys are supposed to be Marines, not hairdressers!" This is destructive criticism at its best. In some workshops, attacks on the author are allowed. You'll hear things like "You write vapid crap like this ‘cause you're just a housewife. Get out in the world!" Or, "This reads like it could have been written by a Republican," and so on. Most destructive criticism groups, however, limit the criticism to the work. They have plenty of fun turning your precious prose into cole slaw. This is good. It's hard to take, but you don't make steel in a hot tub; you make it in a blast furnace.

Willing to sell the book?
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Soltero de Repente
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Soltero de Repente » Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Polaron wrote:Willing to sell the book?

I don't have a hard copies to sell, but do I have well-formatted epub/kindle versions of How to Write a Damn Good Novel, Volume I and Volume II. Both are unlocked. PM me if you have an eReader of some kind, and we can arrange an electronic book swap. I think I might also have the pdfs, but I need to double-check that.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Just FYI, the thread parent does not respond to IMs on this site or e-mails sent to the address specified. Perhaps they are no longer interested. . . .
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I'd love to join you guys, since I am currently working on a new novel. However, even though I could write in English too, I am writing in my native tongue, anyway, I could do of course some rough translations of it.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Good luck getting a response from them.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:26 pm

so if THEY don't answer, all other interested are simply invited to do something on our own. No matter in which language, spanish, french, german, english, chinese, still we can have some meetup to talk about our creative works and ideas.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Oliver S wrote:so if THEY don't answer, all other interested are simply invited to do something on our own. No matter in which language, spanish, french, german, english, chinese, still we can have some meetup to talk about our creative works and ideas.

I'm with you, Oliver!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register