Do Peruvians living abroad have to vote?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do Peruvians living abroad have to vote?

Postby tomsax » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:30 pm

My wife is telling me there are new rules in place that means she doesn't have to vote in London for the presidential elections in a couple of weeks, unless she is asked to assist in the mesa de partes. Is this really true?

Tom
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Do Peruvians living abroad have to vote?

Postby El Tunche » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Tell her to check in RENIEC's website if she has a "mesa de votacion"
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

You wife is right. An employee at the Peruvian Consulate in Vancouver, BC, told me there are no fines for not voting if their DNI have an address outside Peru, unless they are unfortunate enough to be selected to man a voting station.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 pm

werewould she go to man a station if she isn't in Peru?
:-)~mike~(-:
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Generally the nearest Consulate
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 pm

If she is chosen, she would have to go work somewhere in the vicinity of where she lives. Here in the Pacific Northwest region, the Peruvian consulate in Seattle has voting stations in Washington and Oregon. The Peruvian consulate in Vancouver has voting stations in British Columbia and Alberta.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Whar happens if you don't vote?
:-)~mike~(-:
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:45 pm

As mentioned above, if the address in your DNI card is not in Peru, there are no fines or any other consequences. If you DNI card has a Peruvian address, the voter will have to pay a fine.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Mike,

In Peru, voting is mandatory and you are fined if you do not vote.

Another odd thing about voting is that if you have a carnet de extranjaria, but not citizenship, you can vote in municipal elections.

Another twist in Peru is that on Independence day, in many but not all jurisdictions, you are required to display a Peruvian flag or you can suffer a fine.

Many businesses are closed on election day and you can not buy beer or liquor the day before, the day of and the day after the election, though that seems to vary a bit for some reason.

Peruvians can also be drafted to work the their polling place and if you do not show, subject to arrest, though they usually do not bother arresting anyone because of the next quirk in the law...if a person does not show up to the polling place to work as required, the police can force whoever is in line to vote to work it.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

americorps wrote:if a person does not show up to the polling place to work as required, the police can force whoever is in line to vote to work it.

Therefore my fellow Expats who recently obtained their DNIs and have to vote: let go your punctuality for just one day, because if you're first in line and members are missing, you're day will be ruined!
Last edited by Remigius on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 pm

well, I am not quite sure remigius, but if I understand the law, people with a Carnet can vote in municipal elections, but not federal, but please. someone correct me if I am wrong.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 pm

americorps wrote:well, I am not quite sure remigius, but if I understand the law, people with a Carnet can vote in municipal elections, but not federal, but please. someone correct me if I am wrong.

People with carnets can vote for alcalde, but I was talking about the 4 or 5 of us who recently obtained their DNIs, therefore have to vote in April.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

It depends how recently - mine is recent enough to not be on the voting register.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 am

chicama wrote:You wife is right. An employee at the Peruvian Consulate in Vancouver, BC, told me there are no fines for not voting if their DNI have an address outside Peru, unless they are unfortunate enough to be selected to man a voting station.

Thanks Chicama. Good to know that she won't get a fine for sure.

I'm impressed that they made the change as well as it makes it much easier for expat Peruvians living abroad but a long way from voting stations. I feel happier my son will have Peruvian citizenship if voting is a right but not an obligation.

Have found the list for the mesa de partes and she isn't on it.

http://www.conperlondres.com/PDFs/FEBRE ... 202011.pdf

Tom
Tom
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

These are good news, specially for the ones that have to travel a few hours to the next voting station.

10.- Vivo en el extranjero: ¿Estoy obligado a Votar?
La Constitución del Perú, señala en forma expresa la obligatoriedad del voto en el Perú y en el
extranjero por lo que es un derecho y un deber cívico. Sin embargo, los ciudadanos con residencia en
el exterior que no participen en las Elecciones Generales del 10 de abril de 2011, no estarán afectos a la multa
por omisión de sufragio (Ley 28859). En este caso, la condición de residente en el extranjero se
acredita exclusivamente con la dirección en el DNI.

I have a question. In the past, when I had to do some legal paperwork in Peru, they looked in the back of my DNI and noticed the 'stickers' you get when you vote. I had to pay and @ Reniec they added the stickers and I was good to go with my legal docs. What will happen if you don't vote, you don't get fined but you also don't get the sticker. Will it come to bother you later on when doing any type of transaction in Peru requiring to show your DNI?
I have got different answers.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:13 pm

chicama wrote:An employee at the Peruvian Consulate in Vancouver, BC, told me there are no fines for not voting if their DNI have an address outside Peru, unless they are unfortunate enough to be selected to man a voting station.

Does anyone have a law number or web link to this new law? My husband still has our London address on his DNI and when I told him there was a new law and he didn't have to vote, he didn't believe me.

Thanks!
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 pm

seb2010 wrote:Does anyone have a law number or web link to this new law? My husband still has our London address on his DNI and when I told him there was a new law and he didn't have to vote, he didn't believe me.

Thanks!

It's Ley 28859.
surf

Postby surf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:09 pm

my wife is from peru. we are living in the U.S. she has her peru address on dni. where would we get info on where to vote?? thanks
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm

My husband and I haven't changed our DNIs. So in order to vote, we have to go back to Peru :roll: or change our DNIS. If we change them, when we sell our property our taxes go up 600%. From 5% to 30%.

So, YES; you have to vote or pay the fine. After church most of the Peruvians were rushing off to vote. Oh, FYI: You don't have to be living legally in the country to change your DNI either. At least not here in Korea.

So, I'm sure we'll ahve to pay the fines when we go back to Peru, BUT, they seem to forgive the fines every couple of years, so maybe we can luck outl
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 pm

My husband says that the ONPE says that if you're legally living abroad you don't have to nor do you pay the fine. Of course you have to prove it. That would mean getting my 6 page contract translated by an officialy translator, the cost of which is more than the fine. So I'll just pay the fine :)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register