Anyone know about buying cars in Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
eruditus

Anyone know about buying cars in Peru?

Postby eruditus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 am

Hi....my Peruvian wife has a car that she wants to sell, but the lawyers are telling her that she needs my signature in order to do that. Does that sound right? Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? It doesn't sit right with me. It's illogical. My name's not on the title, I was not involved in the purchase or ownership of the car in any way. The lawyers are asking for a copy of my passport in order to expedite the sale, but I don't like that option either. Any advice?

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone know about buying cars in Peru?

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

I understood the law was changing, but obviously not. The law in Peru allowed a husband to dispose of a joint asset, without the authority of his wife, such as car, home etc. However the wife must obtain written agreement from her husband if she wishes to dispose of any asset. This has happened with property being sold by a disgruntled wife and then reclaimed without penalty by the husband.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Is your marriage legally registered in Peru? if it is, then yes, you have to sign on the sell of the asset, but if not, then no, you have no authority on signing anything. My husband and I were married in the states, but have yet to register our marriage here so all asset sales have been in his name with his signature only.

Also, if you want to avoid this, you can register your marriage as being married but with separate assets. Whatever she owns is hers and whatever you own is yours. Apparently this can be changed as often as you like with the Notary.
Alejandro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alejandro » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:06 am

Unless a couple is married with separate assets both, husband and wife, must sign when selling it is not that the husband can sell whatever he wants and the wife needs his permission

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register