between cusco and nazca on route 3

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

between cusco and nazca on route 3

Postby Choripán » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 am

Anyone have any advice about the road between Cusco and Nazca?

I'm traveling around Peru with my parents this month. We have a rental car and are currently in Cusco. Tomorrow we would like to drive to Nazca. Or at least begin the drive to Nazca. Google maps says the route (PE3) is 550km and about 7.5 hrs. All the locals say it will take closer to 14 hrs. If so, this would be too much driving for one day.

I trust the locals more than Google in this case, so I would like to break the drive up into two parts. The problem is that I don't know where to stop for the night. Abancay is the only city mentioned in our travel guides. But it's too close to Cusco to serve as a useful breaking point. The only other city on the map is Puquio, which is closer to Nazca but not listed in any travel guide, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any advice on where we should stop for the night? Should we just try to bang out the full 14hrs in one shot? Thanks very much for your help!

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: between cusco and nazca on route 3

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:08 am

Choripan,

I did that route Cusco-Abancay-Andahuaylas-Ayacucho-Nazca-Lima about 9 years ago, but using buses. As far as I remember Cusco-Abancay is about 4 hours.

If you really want to enjoy the trip, in a more relaxing way, I also suggest stopping first at Abancay and stay in the main hotel in the city. The city itself is not very interesting, a little chaotic, indeed. Before Abancay also can visit Piedra de Saywite in Curawasi and the ruins..

Between Cusco-Abancay I went to Cachora an small town that goes to Choquequirao ruins, it a "hard" to do trekking, harder than the 4 days Inca Trail. So for now and as you are going with a car, is not recommended.

After Abancay next stop is Andahuaylas. Can't remember the bus time but it is some hour that can be done with a car. Near the main square - plaza de Armas, there are several hotels, but There is a very nice hostal in front of the lagoon, it is about 15 minutes by car from the city. The name of the lagoon is Pacucha.. also can take a walk to Sondor Pyramid.. In the Andes of Andahuaylas there are a lot of small town and beautiful places to visit, but you probably need a guide an a 4x4..

Next stop Ayacucho city, the main square has a nice architecture to see. I don't know if still exist a touristic office in the main square administrated by a french guy..

Nazca.. you know Nazca lines.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Between Abancay & Puquio there's Chalhuanca which has hot springs nearby. I stayed there around 10 yrs ago. I think there is at least one hotel. I thinl the one I stayed in was a bit basic but okay. Nearby there is also the amazing posque de piedras but that is very difficult to get to. A detour near Puquio would be to Andamarca which has amazing terraces & trying to promote tourism.
Tom
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 pm

The distance between Cusco and Nazca on route 3 is 650km and takes between 9 to 10 hours. I stayed in a lovely hotel called Hotel Tampumayu. Nasca-Cusco Highway, km 361. Chalhuanca. Not to expensive, and very pleasent. I booked in on arrival.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... uanca.html
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:27 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:The distance between Cusco and Nazca on route 3 is 650km and takes between 9 to 10 hours. I stayed in a lovely hotel called Hotel Tampumayu. Nasca-Cusco Highway, km 361. Chalhuanca. Not to expensive, and very pleasent. I booked in on arrival.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... uanca.html

Adrian, As usual, you are awesome. Just reserved two rooms at the Hotel Tampymayu, which is almost exactly halfway between Cusco and Nazca. Not the cheapest place in the world, but oh-so convenient. Could not have hoped for better advice.

Thanks too to everyone for the tourism recommendations. We'll be sure to check everything out on the way down to the coast - if, that is, my 70+ year old parents are still able to walk after a long day at Machu Pichu...
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Glad to be of help. Have a safe journey and a good time. If you do the flight do not forget to book it in town first. See Kelly's observation on the travel forum. The 3 is quite a winding road with lots of bends. Drive carefully.
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am

So the Hotel Tampymayu turned out to be a wonderful if somewhat bizarre place. It's situated in a tight valley along the river that runs down to Nazca. The drive through the valley, which most people take at night on the bus to Cusco, is one of the most beautiful I have ever experienced. The best thing about it is that there is virtually no other traffic on the road. For once you feel like you can relax and enjoy the scenery while driving. The biggest threats are the cows, goats, sheep, burros and llamas that occasionally wander into the highway, refusing to move for anyone or anything - a pleasant alternative to the smoggy trucks, careening buses and berserk combis that clog most other roads in Peru.

The Hotel Tampymayu is actually a compound of independent bungalows, all bright, clean and entirely empty. There were no other guests at the hotel that night. Between the bungalows lie open grassy spaces, beautiful gardens, and what is perhaps the largest private zoo in all of Peru.

The zoo begins the minute you arrive. At the front gate a pack of super-friendly dogs greets you with an invitation to join their never ending game of dog pile. Near the reception area a family of peacocks preen and peck for grubs in the gravel paths running to the bungalows. Behind the restaurant a pony and a couple of edgy vicunas chew on native grasses and left-over sweet potato peals. Next to them is a pond filled with swirling trout hoping you order the lomo saltado for dinner. In the trees above, an intensely green parrot squawks while gnawing on an enormous cob of choclo (sin queso). He speaks neither Spanish nor English. In a pen on the opposite side of the compound a hairy mountain goat with a huge rack paces the fence line in defense of the two female goats he's locked up with. After four weeks on the road with my 70+ year old parents, I guess he saw me as a credible threat. Some geese and goslings share the space but not their food with the goats. Farther on, at the rear of the compound, an old aviary houses dozens of unusually shaped and colored chickens. Some are locked up, others are free range: it's unclear what distinguishes between the two groups. Finally, in one of the smaller bungalows, a lonely Swiss engineer passes his time while not working on a power plant development project in the high-altitude plains above the valley.

I slept like a rock that night after two fat pisco sours. The next morning we woke up to the news that Obama had capped Osama. It was an unexpected blast of reality from the human world outside, but it couldn't mar the wonderfully strange vibe of the Hotel Tampymayu.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for the update. I hope that hotel still make some profit in spite of the low traffic and will stay there. There is a lot to see in that area but tourists won't go there unless there are facilities but it's difficult to sustain facilities without any tourists.

It's ironic to me that you heard about the Obama/Omama thing (remember: Obama GOOD, Osama BAD!) while there. I remember just arriving at Chalhuanca nearby on 11 September 2001. There was a strike by lorry drivers who had put big boulders on the road but we managed to get into the town nevertheless. We talked to a guy when we arrived but he wasn't at all interested in talking about the strike but talked about a plane hitting the Twin Towers in New York and then another one hitting them when all the TV cameras were running. I assumed it was perhaps the musings of a wild local imagination until I actually saw it on a TV the next day.

I suppose we can all remember where we were that day.
Tom
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed May 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Choripan it is great to hear of your adventure and enjoyed the hotel/country side. When I stayed I arrived late at night but first thing I saw when I got up was this gigantic parot sitting on the porch outside my room getting upset because I was late for breakfast. I had a fantastic time and am glad it worked out for you. I hope you all enjoyed Nazca and survived the flights. Where are you now?
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Not sure if you are headed back to Lima but the Panamericana is blocked around Pisco, there is no passing. I guess you call it a paro, whatever it is there is no traffic getting through it (3 km long!). Just an FYI if you are headed this way, there must be alternate routes though.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:23 pm

I am buying a motorcycle this Nov. and this trip will be my 1st with the bike from San Bartolo to Cusco on route 3. This is great information.

Thank you
Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 am

I am a Bangladeshi. So, I have no idea about distance between cusco and nazca on route 3. I think you try flying distance between cities between cusco and nazca because it is better than journey by bus or car traveling. Thanks for your well sharing.
Catia

Postby Catia » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 pm

hello, I am in the beginning stages of planning my trip to Peru for Oct 2012, a once in a lifetime opportuinity for us.
it will be BF & I--neither of us speaks any spanish, but we are trying to get some basics.

BF isn't very keen on what he's read of Lima & safety, & taxi's getting robbed & night bus issues etc-so we want to be there as little time as possible.

I love the idea of this place listed Hotel Tampymayu -- sounds like a beautiful half way point btwn Nazca & Cusco
my question = Is there bus service from Nazca to this place?
And is there a bus from there to Cusco?

I am trying to figure out how to do the following:
fly into Lima & visit both Cusco & Nazca without a lot of time in Lima-
I want to get into/out of Lima as fast as possible & as safe as possible, without much night travel.
Both BF & I would LOVE to experience the countryside views, but don't want to do the over night buses.
Day trips seem a better alternative, but not sure where/how this is possible.

I figure I can bus from Lima to Nazca without issue as soon as I arrive--but figuring out how to do the rest is confusing.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Catia wrote:BF isn't very keen on what he's read of Lima & safety, & taxi's getting robbed & night bus issues etc-so we want to be there as little time as possible.

Don't worry too much about safety. Most of stories you hear are exagerated to make them sound more interesting.
Many journeys by bus take more than 20 hours, so it's impossible not to be on a night bus.
Catia

Postby Catia » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Anyone around who can answer my questions about bus & route options?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register