Coffee Group Weekly

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coffee Group Weekly

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm

UPDATE: Effective April 21, 2012 - the coffee group will be discontinued until further notice. However, anyone wishing to continue/start a coffee group is free to do so.
Last edited by MarcoPE on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: a weekly coffee group

Postby euroman » Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 pm

MarcoPE wrote: most likely in San Isidro at Starbucks

Unless you are prepared to pay the bill, it will be hard to get people into that place. I heard they charge 5 soles for a coffee :twisted: I often drink a nice cup of coffee at a nice pasteleria in my neigboorhood for 1 sol.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Yes, thank you Euroman...we will hope you fly in from Tarapoto to tell us ALL how we should be living our lives down here in Lima
Last edited by MarcoPE on Tue May 10, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Tue May 10, 2011 6:11 pm

As a Starbucks junkie, I think this is a great idea....as long as we don't bring laptop computers, we'll be safe! :D Let me know when....and where...
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 10, 2011 6:15 pm

I travel often to Lima and would like to join the coffee group but Starbucks is only affordable for few people. There are places that offer better coffee and especially better service than Starbucks.

I bought a laptop today. My novia is showing me how to use it. It´s more difficult than a normal computer because it´s so small. I bought it new at La Curacao for 550 soles.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Well Euroman...YOU can start a group at whatever coffee shop you wish!!
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm heading back to the states in two weeks, otherwise I'd love to join the group. One suggestion, please try and support the local businesses here in Peru, not these corporate US giants, there are so many wonderful locally-owned cafes and coffee places to meet. Try looking at the LIP website to find some of them (and the coffee is much better than Starbucks).
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm game.... it looks like we'll all be kidnapped! the more the merrier:P
:-)~mike~(-:
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 pm

calygirl wrote:I'm heading back to the states in two weeks, otherwise I'd love to join the group. One suggestion, please try and support the local businesses here in Peru, not these corporate US giants, there are so many wonderful locally-owned cafes and coffee places to meet. Try looking at the LIP website to find some of them (and the coffee is much better than Starbucks).

That is a good suggestion although I believe starbucks peru is a peruvian owned franchise(Delosi) with a 100% peruvian workforce with benefits (unlike many local establishments). I think by locally you may mean single owner or non chain? The problem with almost all of these places at least in the past is that they don't have fat free milk nor lactose free milk, don't know what iced coffee/latte are, don't have wifi (less so these days), no air conditioning in the summer, etc. That's pretty much why I typically go to a starbucks although there are a small handful of "locally owned" places as well that are good.

As long as bmike and euroman are there with their laptops, I'll show up. I'll be the one with the black mask.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 pm

It is just coffee at Starbucks...I was not trying to make any political statement....just a group of expats meeting at a known location...to discuss whatever and get to know others in the area. Nothing more, nothing less....
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed May 11, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

MarcoPE wrote:It is just coffee at Starbucks...I was not trying to make any political statement....just a group of expats meeting at a known location...to discuss whatever and get to know others in the area. Nothing more, nothing less....

Sorry. Coffee/meetups are a good idea especially for the newcomers to meet people.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Tue May 10, 2011 9:37 pm

I think Starbucks is a great option, there is enough space for one, the "chain" is locally owned, and usually there are locations close to where "most" of us expats live. I personally like their coffee but also in part because they have leche descremada, a definite bonus. This is MarcoPE's idea, and so whomever is interested in a meet up at Starbucks, let's go for it. If for some reason, someone doesn't like Starbucks, they don't have to come! :D Because of a hectic schedule could we go for a Tuesday night...or perhaps a Saturday morning???

Let us know MarcoPE!!
And I hope to be there to meet other expats...
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Good Idea Marco. Just name a day and time. If Mike is able to make it I could pick him up on the way. I promise to leave the cuffs in the trunk.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 pm

calygirl wrote:I'm heading back to the states in two weeks, otherwise I'd love to join the group. One suggestion, please try and support the local businesses here in Peru, not these corporate US giants, there are so many wonderful locally-owned cafes and coffee places to meet. Try looking at the LIP website to find some of them (and the coffee is much better than Starbucks).

:D
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 am

My post was just a suggestion......nothing more, nothing less. And, some education...Starbucks is definitely Not a "Peruvian owned franchise", no such animal in the Starbuck's world. See last paragraph.

Entrepreneur's Complete Guide
to Buying a Franchise Business

LATEST NEWS

Franchising Trends
New Opportunities
Best Franchises
Success Stories
Franchise Showcase

FRANCHISING GUIDES

Get Free Advice
Franchising and You
Researching & Buying
Working from Home
Franchising for Women
Military Veterans
International & Canada
Money & Financing
Ask the Expert
Franchise Directory

Franchise Prospector

Inspired by the coffee-loving culture of southern Europe, the Starbucks Coffee Company has successfully brought its delicious brand of coffee to Americans all over. With an exquisite assortment of whole bean roasts and fine espresso beverages coming from the finest coffee growing regions around the world, Starbucks also boasts a selection of pastries, sweets and even coffee brewing supplies for home use. Yet at one point Starbucks was not as accessible to consumers as it is today. First started up in 1971 as a small store in a Seattle shopping center, Starbucks now, however, is one of the country's - and the world's - most popular coffee shop chains.

Surprisingly, however, it took over a decade for the business to start expanding. In fact, it was as late as 1983 that Howard Schultz, the marketing and retail director, made a trip over to Italy and discovered the potential for creating a real culture of coffee here in the United States. After running it by the owners, Schultz was able to convince them that Starbucks was the way to bring this trend to North America. Beginning by setting up a shop in the downtown area of Seattle, the number of stores soon grew to about 20 after which Shultz got together with a group of venture capitalists and was able to purchase - and change the name - of Starbucks. The company quickly expanded thanks to a series of wise business moves. These included attaining the important affiliation with Barnes and Nobles booksellers, launching well-executed mail order strategy, and a profitable IPO in 1992. Due to its success, Starbucks has become the model for a whole new type of coffee marketing and beverage culture in America. The amount of Starbucks coffee shops open today numbers just under 6,000 worldwide.

Although Starbucks does not put up franchises for sale, or even engage in sub-franchising, there are certain agreements that interested parties can seek. That's because while the company manages its stores directly, or via subsidiaries, it will also develop business relationships with other corporations, companies or groups of persons. The way it works is that this body is then allowed to build up and manage stores in the prearranged area of business.

For international endeavors, there are a select number of different models of business that Starbucks currently engages in. One of these is the joint venture scheme, in which the company affiliates itself in a mutually beneficial partnership with another organization. Inside the United States, this can be likened to the company's current relationship with Barnes and Nobles. Another type of structure employed by Starbucks is the license agreement, which gives a smaller company the right to conduct its operations, while being wholly owned by the Starbucks Coffee Company. The third way that Starbucks conducts its international operations is by direct company ownership. In this structure, Starbucks takes the role of the immediate owner and maintains an unobstructed presence in managing and developing the store sights of a particular place of business development and commerce.

For More Information
Try the #1 Nationally-trusted Free Franchise Matchup Service
Be Your Own Boss!
Find The Right Franchise For You... and Your Family!

Franchise Showcase:
V2K Windows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Trends in Franchising for Women
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Fitness Franchises for Women
Do You Have a Franchisee Personality?
Why Military Veterans Make Great Franchisees
Women Find Start-up Capital for Franchises
Ask the Expert:
What Are the Risks Involved in Buying a Franchise?

© Copyright Franchise Prospector
Advertising | Press Room | About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

Here we go again. A simple suggestion from the OP, "I would be interested in seeing what kind of interest there would be in a once-a-week meeting over coffee", slowly heading in the direction of a political debate and a quest for one-upmanship.
Precisely the reason why I tend to avoid such meetings, and other members ask the question, "are expats a little strange?"
Last edited by markr on Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Wed May 11, 2011 11:10 am

Thank you markr, very well put!!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed May 11, 2011 2:43 pm

markr wrote:Here we go again. A simple suggestion from the OP, "I would be interested in seeing what kind of interest there would be in a once-a-week meeting over coffee", slowly heading in the direction of a political debate and a quest for one-upmanship.
Precisely the reason why I tend to avoid such meetings, and other members ask the question, "are expats a little strange?"

Hi Mark
Same old thing. I am waiting for the deludge from EM. It should start soon.
Marco Has a good plan and I suggest just set a day and time. Some will some will not. I hope it comes together.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:If Mike is able to make it I could pick him up on the way. I promise to leave the cuffs in the trunk.

Adrian, I thought the plan was to leave Mike in the trunk? :lol:

Well, someone mentioned Tuesday...that is a pretty good day for me...I was thinking maybe 4 or 4:30pm? I know some of us have hectic schedules so there is always room for compromise.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:59 pm

well, set a day and time and perhaps I can come. and I promise not to put up too much of a struggle if you just won't handcuff me and the spare tire isn't in the trunk with me.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 pm

bmike1 wrote:well, set a day and time and perhaps I can come. and I promise not to put up too much of a struggle if you just won't handcuff me and the spare tire isn't in the trunk with me.

I´ll be there too if I can get a share of the ransom for bmike.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 12, 2011 7:24 am

MarcoPE wrote:I would be interested in seeing what kind of interest there would be in a once-a-week meeting over coffee, most likely in San Isidro at Starbucks to discuss things and life in Lima....let me know if there is any interest....and bmike1, this is not an attempt to set you up for a kidnapping.....

Starbucks San Isidro on Tuesday 4.00pm is good for me. See you there. It might be worth popping it in the calendar.
Ade
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 am

Each and every Tuesday at 4pm - I will add it to the expat calendar then. I'd recommend that each week someone make a post here on Monday or Tuesday as a reminder.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Thu May 12, 2011 9:07 am

Awesome!!!
So glad we arrived at a date/time....this will be the first expat event I can actually make it to in a few years, yay! Okay, which Starbucks, there are three in San Isidro...I know, I know, I'm a junkie what can I say?!!!!
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 am

There are now two Starbucks on Av Begonias, the older one next to Ripley and the new one across from Tottus - the newer one has more room and seating so I suggest that one. I couldn't find it listed yet so I will find out and post the exact address.
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 am

I like the suggestion, I wouldn't mind participating one day myself once I'm settled in.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

I think it is a great idea.

I would like to suggest maybe a themed topic of conversation..to start off those more timid.

My suggestion for the first round would be reasons not to live in Tarapoto.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

americorps wrote:I think it is a great idea.

I would like to suggest maybe a themed topic of conversation..to start off those more timid.

Tarapoto Where is that??????????????????

Marco let us know. Mike has given me his cel number if you want to go ahead with the kidnap. I have oiled the cuffs. Ha Ha (Ja Ja)
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Very good idea, but I would have thought that those who wish to attend might want to spend an hour or so chatting and getting to know each other. I think your suggested topic would only lead to a very short conversation with a pre determined conclusion.
May I suggest, as a topic, the joys of living in Lima :D
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Marco let us know. Mike has given me his cel number if you want to go ahead with the kidnap. I have oiled the cuffs. Ha Ha (Ja Ja)

Well, I was reading in the News & Views, maybe we should find out what condition Mike's kidneys are in?? :wink:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
Tarapoto Where is that??????????????????

Marco let us know. Mike has given me his cel number if you want to go ahead with the kidnap. I have oiled the cuffs. Ha Ha (Ja Ja)

Adrian, there's an old chinese proverb. ''Engage brain before open mouth.''
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 pm

MarcoPE wrote:
Well, I was reading in the News & Views, maybe we should find out what condition Mike's kidneys are in?? :wink:

I am a rather large guy, so please, can we avoid pishtaco as a point of conversation?
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Thu May 12, 2011 1:20 pm

You guys are hilarious! Hope you have a good time!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Frans » Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm

And I can join virtually... In starbucks they have WIFI.... then with a camera I can join from Nigeria...

Or is my proposal nuts..... A virtual coffee group....
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu May 12, 2011 3:38 pm

I`ll be there too.

Bmike, how much ransom can we get for you?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Frans wrote:And I can join virtually... In starbucks they have WIFI.... then with a camera I can join from Nigeria...

Or is my proposal nuts..... A virtual coffee group....

Frans a good idea. I will bring the laptop with a big chain and padlock. Late or Cafachino
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 pm

markr wrote:

Very good idea, but I would have thought that those who wish to attend might want to spend an hour or so chatting and getting to know each other. I think your suggested topic would only lead to a very short conversation with a pre determined conclusion.
May I suggest, as a topic, the joys of living in Lima :D

Great idea Mark. As long as we don't get derailed like the various attempts on this thread. Marc I have rung Mike but he is tied up on Tuesday. I think the Mafia have an interest as well. I give him another buzz on Monday. See you all on Tuesday.
Ade
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 pm

I cannot drink coffee for health reasons, do they also sell other drinks? I am in Lima next week for 2 weeks.
I would like to come to the coffee group. We can have fun. I'll bring a cake with me for us to share.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Sorry about foiling your plans guys but I am in a spanish class every weekday afternoon. So you can only kidnap me on the weekend.
As for other drinks they serve tea and some other drink that I can't recall the name of. It is like flavored syrups squirted into whatever you want them to squirt them into.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu May 12, 2011 11:38 pm

For those that don't drink coffee, they have a list of some of the coffee alternatives on their website here: http://www.starbucks.com.pe/content/pag ... b=3&pID=31
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri May 13, 2011 2:12 pm

UPDATE: Beginning on March 19, 2012, following discussions with the regular members, the weekly coffee group will be moving to La Molina. We will now meet at the Starbucks located at Los Frutales and Javier Prado (Camacho, Av. Los Frutales 1170, La Molina [Cruce con Javier Prado Este]). The time will remain at 4pm on Mondays.
Last edited by MarcoPE on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
melima

Postby melima » Mon May 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Hello. Is this weekly coffee group still meeting at Starbucks in San Isidro? I just moved to Lima and am interested in joining in.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 pm

melima wrote:Hello. Is this weekly coffee group still meeting at Starbucks in San Isidro?

Well, I can't speak for everyone but I will be there at 4pm.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon May 16, 2011 11:02 pm

I was planning on going...

Probably wont if Euroman is singing....

But regardless, I have to work tomorrow now so can not make it.

Enjoy.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm going to do my best to show up.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 am

Kelly wrote:I'm going to do my best to show up.

If euroman's there, playing his guitar and singing, he'll probably show everyone up :lol:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 17, 2011 6:32 am

markr wrote:
Kelly wrote:I'm going to do my best to show up.

If euroman's there, playing his guitar and singing, he'll probably show everyone up :lol:

It is ok. I am looking forward to meeting OBL (Euroman)In the present circumstances I hear he is keeping a low profile, so may not bring his guitar. We cauld always have a whip around if he forgets his 1 sol coffee.

euroman wrote:Unless you are prepared to pay the bill, it will be hard to get people into that place. I heard they charge 5 soles for a coffee I often drink a nice cup of coffee at a nice pasteleria in my neigboorhood for 1 sol.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 am

markr wrote:If euroman's there

Well, he will only make it as far as Tottus because of the free samples :)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 am

MarcoPE wrote:
markr wrote:If euroman's there

Well, he will only make it as far as Tottus because of the free samples :)

euroman wrote:When I lived in San Miguel, I always went to the supermarkets like Wong, Tottus and Metro at weekends.
It's always full of impulsadores who offer you free samples of food and drinks.

I often tried so many samples so I had eaten enough. I went home without buying anything.
During the week, there are less pushing free samples in your hands so I bought things.

Tottus is the best. Especially the meat and cheese section. Frankfurters, sausages, cheeses are offered for free. At the fruit section, the fresh piña is delicious.

The wine section is probably the most popular tasting section too.

Perhaps OBL can pop in to Tottus, stash a few bits and pieces then we can have a party. I am sure Starbucks will lend us a few glasses for the vino.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 pm

MarcoPE thank you very much. My wife and I were there and had a great time. \i am afraid it did swing around to discussing our favourite subject Euroman and it was such a shame he did not turn up. It would have been good to listen to one of his arias but never mind. Perhaps next time.
I am looking forward to the next one. Well done MarcoPE

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register