Coffee Group Weekly

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: a weekly coffee group

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks. We had a great time too. A lot of fun!!! And thanks Musiclover as well, it was nice meeting you and I do hope we can make this a regular event. It was especially great meeting you Adrian and your wonderful wife and finally having a face to put to the name. Thanks again!

TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sat May 21, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm new in town, so I might try and make it next Tuesday, without committing too far in advance. I look like being here for a while, so it will be good to start meeting new faces.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon May 23, 2011 6:56 am

Mike I am assuming we are meeting tomorrow. See you all at 4.00pm
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Mike I am assuming we are meeting tomorrow. See you all at 4.00pm

Sounds good! See you there!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

What's the address again? I might come too?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon May 23, 2011 11:00 pm

euroman wrote:What's the address again? I might come too?

Simply scroll up for a map.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Mike I am assuming we are meeting tomorrow. See you all at 4.00pm

sorry dude. at that time I am in sdchool.
:-)~mike~(-:
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm

bmike1 wrote:sorry dude. at that time I am in sdchool

I think he was speaking to me....we all know that your wife won't let you out of her sight! :lol:
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Tue May 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi guys! Not able to make it to coffee today, sorry!!!!!

Catch y'all next week, though, ok! (will be my 1st day of vacation!!)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Mike thank for a good time today. I noticed Starbucks have installed CCTV and a vigilante on the door.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 am

Could someone tell me if I got it wrong. I went to Starbucks in Ave Las Begonias and spent 30 minutes there, but I did not notice any group forming at all. This is the Starbucks situated where Riply's has an entrance. I thought it was a bit further up the road than being opposite where Tottus is. Being new in Lima, I could well have been in the wrong place.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Could someone tell me if I got it wrong. I went to Starbucks in Ave Las Begonias and spent 30 minutes there, but I did not notice any group forming at all. This is the Starbucks situated where Riply's has an entrance.

Hi Tony, yes there are 2 Starbucks on Av Begonias...we were at the newer one located across from Tottus. We hope you can make it next week.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks MarcoPE, I will certainly try again next week. Is there any indication of who the Expat Peru members are, or do I just listen for the dulcet sounds of English serenading, wafting or downright blaring across the room?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:Thanks MarcoPE, I will certainly try again next week. Is there any indication of who the Expat Peru members are, or do I just listen for the dulcet sounds of English serenading, wafting or downright blaring across the room?

Well, if Starbucks served alcoholic beverages, serenading would be possible; however, since they don't, we meet at the very front of the outside terrace to the left just as you enter.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:Now I am confused as to whether I was in the right place or the wrong place. Not to mention I now have other concerns. I don't have black hair. I was at least hoping for some other body to be carrying the same grey top that I possess. I can feel rejection starting already, but ignorance is bliss and I live in bliss with my new wife.

Sorry for the confusion. You were at the wrong one; the one we meet at is 718 Av Begonias; there is a map attached to an earlier post. BTW, if you look over Euroman's other posts, you will see the Starbucks he is speaking of is in some other dimension of which most of us are not familiar with.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 pm

probably because of the problem with banditosdgj,. we've been talking about
:-)~mike~(-:
amygarcia

Postby amygarcia » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

a great idea to have a coffee group..unfortunally I am working at 4 pm.. But, when I have a day off I certainly will try to visit :)
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 am

Other than the thought that if you do not know me, you will not miss me, I was intending to front up for a coffee on Tuesday. Even checked out the correct location of the other Starbucks on Sunday. But unfortunately I am down with the "gripe" and decided to give you guys (and gals?)the benefit of my experience and keep away this week. But I will get there, I am looking forward to meeting some new faces.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Went to Starbucks last Tueday at 4.00 p.m and after being overwhelmed by the absence of everyone had a coffee amid great conversation with myself. Luckily, I only asked questions,( Like where is everybody) but haven't resorted to answering myself yet.

So, should I venture to San Isidro this Tuesday for another hot milk with a hint of coffee somewhere at a cost of about 30 soles (inc. taxis) or stick to my favourite Altomayo Coffee Shop in Real Plaza in Centro where a great coffee costs about 5 soles?

If I sound facetious, forgive me. I just re-learnt how to spell facetious.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:Went to Starbucks last Tueday at 4.00 p.m and after being overwhelmed by the absence of everyone had a coffee amid great conversation with myself. Luckily, I only asked questions,( Like where is everybody) but haven't resorted to answering myself yet.

So, should I venture to San Isidro this Tuesday for another hot milk with a hint of coffee somewhere at a cost of about 30 soles (inc. taxis) or stick to my favourite Altomayo Coffee Shop in Real Plaza in Centro where a great coffee costs about 5 soles?

If I sound facetious, forgive me. I just re-learnt how to spell facetious.

I'm not sure, but it made me laugh! Anyway, it seems at least a couple of us will be there on Tuesday. I will be there for sure. I will PM you with my cell phone in case.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Just a reminder if anyone is interested in coffee at Starbucks. There should be at least a couple of us there today around 4-ish.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 am

It was great to finally get to the meet Marcope at Starbucks last Tuesday. It is always an interesting time to meet other people who have ventured to Peru to live and listen to their experiences. Being that he is from USA and I am from Australia, it did not stop us conversing like a couple of old women for an hour or so. Probably lucky there wasn't a couple of old women Expats there to listen to us.
I agreed with him, that while not everyone likes Starbucks, it is hardly worth moving the venue until there is enough interest generated. For that, of course it would be great to be able to have a regular group who are interested in this forum as a way of meeting new faces.
I will be going again tomorrow and hopefully may meet one or two more expats.
djorge

Postby djorge » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 am

Hi, my wife (Arianna) and I (Jorge) recently moved to Lima from New York. We'll be at Starbucks this Tues as well. See you then.

Jorge
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:25 pm

I plan on being there as well.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Well this sounds like we could be having a cosy little chat over a coffee today. For anyone else who wishes to find us, just look for the hot air rising and listen for the dulcet tones of the English vocabulary being murdered, mainly by me. Will be looking forward to meeting some new faces.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi guys! Sorry I've not been able to make it the last few weeks, decided at the last minute to travel for my vacation, went to Bolivia, was fabulous and just back last week...anyhow, will plan to be there next week and look forward to meeting you all.....
elf.painter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby elf.painter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi coffee lovers,
I'm just getting back to using xpatperu, and what better way but to come to "a weekly coffee group". My wife and I would love to come next Tues.. You meet around 4pm at Starbucks in San Isidro. Now I just need to know directions? We live in Miraflores, Av. Arequipa and Los Angles. (we don't drive). We moved to Peru about eight months ago and are eager to meet new people.
elf.painter
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm

You can find the address and a map here --> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13651&start=30#p77809
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey musiclover, it will be good to hear of your adventure into Bolivia!

elf.painter, it will be great to see some new faces! Yes, we meet at 4:00(ish) at Starbucks (note there are two on the same street, but just use the map Kelly linked to and you should be ok).

See you all on Tuesday!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 am

We are all looking forward to meeting some new faces if all the posts since last week come to fruition. We can say that regardless of how many or how few turn up, we never run out of conversation. This is a great forum for all types, from those addicted to coffee, to those addicted to avoiding excessive use their pigeon Spanish. Otherwise known as people like me, who can destroy both the English and Spanish languages with ease. Hope to see you all at STARBUCKS opposite TOTTUS. Not outside Ripley's.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Looking forward to meeting some new (or old, as the case may be) expats (though all are welcome) tomorrow around 4-ish!! :)
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 am

That was a fun meet-up yesterday. Fun talking to all of you who showed up. See you next week!
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:19 am

Yes, a good turnout and great conversation... hope to see everyone again next Tuesday. All are welcome!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

Ahhh what a fine example of young Expats that assembled in Starbucks at San Isidro opposite Tottus, not at Ripleys, last Tuesday. Three from USA, one each from England, Canada and Australia. The conversation flowed and humour abounded, may have even bounded out to the street at one stage, when a couple of blokes wandered off for 10 minutes. A suggestion was put forward that all of us who display our names here on this site,(nothing to hide) sit alongside the wall and those who through there own wisdom use alternative names, (possibly something to hide) can sit on the entrance side in case they have the sudden urge to make a run for it. We are a very considerate lot when all is said and done.

Everyone enjoyed themselves, however the time went by to quickly for us that have responsibilities to attend to. Getting home before the wife finishes work for example.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this Tuesday and there are plenty of spaces available for new faces to sit and enjoy the companionship.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:38 pm

I plan on being there around 4-ish. Hope to see you all again and some new faces as well!!
elf.painter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby elf.painter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 am

Laurie and I are planing on joining the group today in between Spanish lessons and dental appointments. This keeps us busy.
frontier0716

Postby frontier0716 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm

You can count me in, and as far as Starbucks goes, I usually enjoy a GOOD CUP of Cafe Mocha there about everyday!
elf.painter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby elf.painter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 pm

The Coffee group, 7 this week, was enjoyable. Lots of conversations. I hope more people start to come so we can meet the people behind the names. musiclover brought a friend to the group. The weather was cold and rainy, but the conversation was warm and interesting. Laurie and I are looking forward to next weeks meeting of the coffee group. @ Starbucks 718 Av. begonias San Isidro 4pm till...
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 pm

We had a great time...lots of laughs!!
Galt0902

Postby Galt0902 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Hey Everyone:

I will try to meet up with you all in the following week or so. As from a previous post, it would be nice to put the face to the screen names.

Cheers, :mrgreen:
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 am

It is not my position to try and describe why a mature woman would appear somewhere between being in the middle of a hold-up and a line dance while still sitting down. How something that sits below shoulder height should appear at arms length above the head is best not discussed by a mere male like my good self.

Except possibly to new faces who come to the coffee group on Tuesday at Starbucks opposite Tottus in San Isidro around 4.00 p.m.

I was rather glad at that particular moment it was not witnessed by any Japanese tourists with their cameras wandering around looking for a national monument to photograph. Or worse, being witnessed by the local constabulary. Lamentably the flash of a camera or the appearance of the law could well have a detrimental affect on most of the group (those who use alternative names here) and we could have witnessed a mass exodus amidst a scramble for the entrance.

I wonder if the coffee group could soon become the national monument of Expat Peru? Interesting thought.

It is great to be part of a growing group of Expats who are enjoying meeting each other every week over a coffee. All the different personalities are coming out and lot's of interesting conversations, laughter and friendly banter. I must say though, I was incorrectly labelled, being Australian, as having a thick accent when quite clearly I am the only person in the group without an accent and nearly everyone else sound like North Americans. Except of course for our friends from Ethiopia and Rule Britannia.

I will look forward to seeing everyone again tomorrow, although it was a borderline decision. Unfortunately the good wife beat me home last week and even though I used my best excuses, she has a way of looking at me with a vacant stare that I know words will be wasted on. However she has relented so I will be there tomorrow.

Tony
Last edited by TonyLeslie on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Unfortunately the good wife beat me home last week

Hey Tony...could you clarify...your wife beat you home last week or beat you when you got home last week? :lol: Seriously, I look forward to seeing everyone for coffee tomorrow!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:26 am

No Michael, I am still in one piece. I was saved by HER decision that I was taking HER out to a restaurant for dinner. I knew straight away this was not a subject that was up for discussion and the wallet is less painful that the alternative. (Which was not necessarily a beating :roll: )Come to think of it, maybe it was my decision that she made on my behalf.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 am

H'RAY, H'RAY, IT'S COFFEE DAY. At Starbucks opposite Tottus in San Isidro at 4.00 p.m That means it is NOT at Ripleys. I think it also means I am getting desperate for something to write. Oh well, so be it.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm

From Tony Leslie: "It is not my position to try and describe why a mature woman would appear somewhere between being in the middle of a hold-up and a line dance while still sitting down. How something that sits below shoulder height should appear at arms length above the head is best not discussed by a mere male like my good self."

OK...now I know what everyone was talking about yesterday!!!

Great time, too, nice to meet some new people and I'm glad so many more are coming out...

I have to apologize "elf painter"...I seem to have lost your email address....can you message me with it and I'll be sure to email you with more info....

Look forward to seeing y'all next week!!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

Ahhh musiclover, you will learn more about my sense of humour and cryptic scrawling as time goes by.

Wasn't it great to see more new Expats. New faces from the USA and Australia and a representative from Sweden, as well as the usual faces from Canada, USA and my self from Australia. It was also good to see the ladies extending their numbers to enjoy some good conversation. This group is starting to become THE meeting place of expats and from a slow start is gaining great momentum. Thanks MarcoPe for being the motivator.

But wait, there's more. This group is now beginning to grow into a restaurant group as well. Drinking Budweiser or wine or both instead of coffee, Mmmm sounds good to me. This could be becoming the social hub of the Expat Peru site. I will have to convince the good wife that you can all be trusted and let me out one night. I think this will take a fair bit of talking, bribing or pleading in that order to convince her, but who knows and before you ask the obvious, she is not always available to join us at that time of night.

Will be looking forward to meeting everyone once again at Starbucks opposite Tottus in San Isidro (Not Ripleys) tomorrow around 4.00 p.m. And remember, new faces are always welcome, There is no shortage of conversation but it is always good to listen to your experiences and to give or receive help or advice if possible.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, I plan to be there at my usual 4-ish, if for nothing else but to try to figure out the crazy expressions from that Australian guy! :lol: :wink:

The topics are always up for grabs...anything from food, life in Peru, opening a business, to driving a car, etc, etc..

Hope to see everyone there!
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey!! Looks like I'll be there tomorrow and on time this time...lol....will look forward to seeing everyone! The company is always enjoyable and the conversation as diverse as the group and the countries from whence we came.... :)
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 am

I'm new here...should be able to make it today!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:I will have to convince the good wife that you can all be trusted and let me out one night. I think this will take a fair bit of talking, bribing or pleading in that order to convince her, but who knows...

It is better to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission :lol:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register