making top money and be your own boss

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

making top money and be your own boss

Postby euroman » Sun May 15, 2011 5:07 pm

If you want to make good money and be your own boss then you need this.
Mobile vending is a rapid expanding business.
More and more people are eating from mobile restaurants.
Mobile caterers are known for their high quality of food and excellent service.

Work a few hours a day and live an executive lifestyle. Instead of slaving yourself out for a boss for a few pennies a day.

Enclosed picture of your new venture:

http://images01.olx.com.pe/ui/10/68/08/ ... 6008_2.jpg
http://images01.olx.com.pe/ui/10/68/08/ ... 6008_3.jpg

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: making top money and be your own boss

Postby sbaustin » Sun May 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Or you can sell a kidney or two.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm

euroman wrote:If you want to make good money and be your own boss then you need this.
Mobile vending is a rapid expanding business.
More and more people are eating from mobile restaurants.
Mobile caterers are known for their high quality of food and excellent service.

Work a few hours a day and live an executive lifestyle. Instead of slaving yourself out for a boss for a few pennies a day.

Enclosed picture of your new venture:

http://images01.olx.com.pe/ui/10/68/08/ ... 6008_2.jpg
http://images01.olx.com.pe/ui/10/68/08/ ... 6008_3.jpg

There is always the other option if you dont like the idea of coming here to live and spend all day peddling on the street.

euroman wrote:When I lived in San Miguel, I always went to the supermarkets like Wong, Tottus and Metro at weekends.
It's always full of impulsadores who offer you free samples of food and drinks.

I often tried so many samples so I had eaten enough. I went home without buying anything.
During the week, there are less pushing free samples in your hands so I bought things.

Tottus is the best. Especially the meat and cheese section. Frankfurters, sausages, cheeses are offered for free. At the fruit section, the fresh piña is delicious.The wine section is probably the most popular tasting section too.

The samples are all nicely presented by a chiquita dressed in lurex so you could stash the goods and pay the young lady a few soles to sale to hungry shoppers outside the supermarket. No heavy investment in a vending truck and no material cost and you could insist she supplies her own tray. This could work!!!!
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Adrian, some people have to work in their life to make a living.

Not everyone is a gringo with mucho dollares who never had to work in their life for his money.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

euroman wrote:Adrian, some people have to work in their life to make a living.

Not everyone is a gringo with mucho dollares who never had to work in their life for his money.

I wish I could have been one but alas after working for 42 years without a break I think the time is right to sit back and watch certain other brainless idiots covet others.
RSVP
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
I wish I could have been one but alas after working for 42 years without a break I think the time is right to sit back and watch certain other brainless idiots covet others.
RSVP

Adrian,we are lucky to be born in a country where me make easily a lot of money. Do you think you would have the same lifestyle and same things if you worked in Peru at a Peruvian wage the same job and hours you did in the UK?

I wouldn't. But I worked 12 years in my life and I sit back already. Often it's just a bit bored.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 pm

euroman wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:
RSVP

Adrian,we are lucky to be born in a country where me make easily a lot of money. Do you think you would have the same lifestyle and same things if you worked in Peru at a Peruvian wage the same job and hours you did in the UK?

I wouldn't. But I worked 12 years in my life and I sit back already. Often it's just a bit bored.

First of all I must appologise to you Kelly for not staying with the thread, but I think these accusation need to be responded to.

Euroman I admit I am the luckiest person to have been born in to one of the greatest empires in the world. A little island, but conquered and protected more people on this planet than any other nation. I am sure your family appreciated the help provided to them during the Second World War.

When I left school at fifteen I started working for a printer. My father, Manager at Ford Motor Company did not agree to this but gave in and paid my salary for the first year subject to me promising to continue my studies. As I could only achieve this study evenings, weekends and one day a week given to me by my employer I achieved an H.N.C. at the age of 22. This enabled me to enrol at university eventually graduated at 27 years. This is now equivelent to the total time you worked. I then went on to have my own business, but this sadly failed due to a matrimonial divorce. I then joined Cambridge University and worked with them for a matter of 22 years. I worked damb hard. Traveled to more places on business than you have flaunted and in fact you may have served me on one of my trips in Business class. I have been involved in saving more jobs and securing employment for more people on this planet than you are ever likely to meet in your life time.

Even though I am retired I respect and support where ever I can. I have traveled to many places in Peru including your sacred Tarapoto. Given advice and support to several companies and cooperatives, which has provided jobs for many. My wife is an activist who fights for peoples rights through the church. We have never taken a penny for this and am sure it exceeds any endevour you have talked about.

I admire your thoughts and fully realise you are limited following such a short career, but hope you will at some stage be able to implement your ideas....
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri May 20, 2011 3:39 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
euroman wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:
RSVP

First of all I must appologise to you Kelly for not staying with the thread, but I think these accusation need to be responded to.

Euroman I admit I am the luckiest person to have been born in to one of the greatest empires in the world. A little island, but conquered and protected more people on this planet than any other nation. I am sure your family appreciated the help provided to them during the Second World War.

When I left school at fifteen I started working for a printer. My father, Manager at Ford Motor Company did not agree to this but gave in and paid my salary for the first year subject to me promising to continue my studies. As I could only achieve this study evenings, weekends and one day a week given to me by my employer I achieved an H.N.C. at the age of 22. This enabled me to enrol at university eventually graduated at 27 years. This is now equivelent to the total time you worked. I then went on to have my own business, but this sadly failed due to a matrimonial divorce. I then joined Cambridge University and worked with them for a matter of 22 years. I worked damb hard. Traveled to more places on business than you have flaunted and in fact you may have served me on one of my trips in Business class. I have been involved in saving more jobs and securing employment for more people on this planet than you are ever likely to meet in your life time.

Even though I am retired I respect and support where ever I can. I have traveled to many places in Peru including your sacred Tarapoto. Given advice and support to several companies and cooperatives, which has provided jobs for many. My wife is an activist who fights for peoples rights through the church. We have never taken a penny for this and am sure it exceeds any endevour you have talked about.

I admire your thoughts and fully realise you are limited following such a short career, but hope you will at some stage be able to implement your ideas....

Do you think, you would have had the same opportunities and chances if you were born in Peru?

In my case, I think I wouldn't. We are still lucky to be born in a country where opportunities are beter and if things go bad in our home country, we can always fall back on wellfare. Something that's non existent in Peru.
Last edited by euroman on Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri May 20, 2011 4:40 pm

euroman wrote:Do you think, you would have had the same opportunities and chances if you were born in Peru?

In my case, I think I wouldn't. We are still lucky to be born in a country where opportunities are beter and if things go back in our home country, we can always fall back on wellfare. Something that's non existent in Peru.

Yes I do. There are many wealthy people here that achieved it without going to the supermarket and living on free samples. I have several friends who are well placed and they achieved it with hard work. The opportunities here are vast if you think about it.
Corruption and any illegal behaviour takes away benifits from the poor of a country so please do not be proud of these actions.

I have never in my life lived on benifits from anywhere and do not intend to now. I don't know the situation in your country but entering the UK after two years will require an application for a re-entry visa. You will no longer be classed as an EU member and will not get any benifits from the British people. You obviously never worked for it but suggest you return to Belgium if you want a hand out.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I have never in my life lived on benifits from anywhere and do not intend to now. I don't know the situation in your country but entering the UK after two years will require an application for a re-entry visa. You will no longer be classed as an EU member and will not get any benifits from the British people. You obviously never worked for it but suggest you return to Belgium if you want a hand out.

A re entry visa??? The UK is full of illegals and asylum seekers that are living of DSS and getting council homes.
I lived in the UK close to an area full of towers with council flats and I hardly have seen anyone who looks British living in them.

Wellfare payments are low in the UK. 65 quid a week. But benefit fraud is common and cases have been revealed where people claim benefit in different names and got several council homes and rented them out.

In Belgium you get around 1250 a month. Many people in the UK are working for less than that. If you work at the minimum wage of 5 quid an hour then you get less.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fraud.html
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Sat May 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Going back to the original subject, I think Euroman is a good idea. But not those little carts, here in NY there are large food trucks like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3997944104_38646b56cf_z.jpg

Imagine parking one of those outside of the Congress or a busy hospital 8) With the captial and some good cooks (bakers etc, whatever your going to sell) I think it's an investment that could bring a good return, especially if you serve quality food at a affordable price. Not to mention you'll have a much cleaner enviroment in which to prepare the food as opposed to one of those little carts that are exposed to the enviroment for hours at a time.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 pm

GianO wrote:Going back to the original subject, I think Euroman is a good idea. But not those little carts, here in NY there are large food trucks like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3997944104_38646b56cf_z.jpg

Imagine parking one of those outside of the Congress or a busy hospital 8) With the captial and some good cooks (bakers etc, whatever your going to sell) I think it's an investment that could bring a good return, especially if you serve quality food at a affordable price. Not to mention you'll have a much cleaner enviroment in which to prepare the food as opposed to one of those little carts that are exposed to the enviroment for hours at a time.

Giano, it's a good idea too but for many people the investment of such a truck is still high and on top of that you need a driving licence to drive such a thing. Also, you need a licence to put such a truck outside a busy hospital or the congress. A business like that would an investment of 10000's of soles.
A huge amount in Peru. Those carts cost around 250 soles second hand or 650 new.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon May 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I met a friend today and he has the solution!!!
Attachments
Burgers at Metro.jpg
Burgers at Metro.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 9625 times
alexander e
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alexander e » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

euroman are u thinking to do this vending business on your owN? I been thinking to do this for a long time, just need to find the right location, How much u think you can make doing salchipapas, chiken sanwich, and amburgesas?
Good location could be JESUS MARIA, O BREÑA, what u think'?...let me know
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon May 23, 2011 8:39 pm

You could probably make a lot of money selling Chilean Pisco. I think tons of people would buy it just to try it. The only problem is importing it.

A couple more ideas to ponder:
- emoliente - lots of people like to drink this on the street.
- frog juice - in the past you could buy jugo de rana and you maybe can bring this back
- cuy - only see this in the south so maybe there is a market for it in Lima or the selva
- time management classes
- restaurant/retail service classes
- how to land a gringo class (only for the ladies)
- nuclear power - if you some Russian scientist looking to relocate
- starbucks - i see plenty of street corners that don't have one yet
- butterfly wing stuffed pillows - I've never seen this before lots of butterflies in the jungle probably
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 pm

alexander e wrote:euroman are u thinking to do this vending business on your owN? I been thinking to do this for a long time, just need to find the right location, How much u think you can make doing salchipapas, chiken sanwich, and amburgesas?
Good location could be JESUS MARIA, O BREÑA, what u think'?...let me know

When I lived in San Miguel, close to Avenida Libertad there where several vendors. And they made around 100 a night. Generally, they work from 7pm to midnight.

My novia her mother was used to sell fruitjuices and sandwiches from a cart in the morning from 6 am till 11 am and made around 50 soles a day.

Any area where there's a lot of passage is good. A residential area is good too and you will make a good customer base.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

100 per night profit or sales? Every night or just weekends pulling in the 100? The distinction matters greatly.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 pm

sbaustin wrote:100 per night profit or sales? Every night or just weekends pulling in the 100? The distinction matters greatly.

You might not make 100 a day from day one. Like any business, you must build up a customer base.
Don't be scared of competion. Competition can be good. Just sell a product that's slightly better than theirs and you get their customers.

It's an advantage if you are a foreigner. Peruvians rather buy things from foreigners because they think it will be better. Peruvians rather buy foreign products as well because they consider it as better.

Very important, talk to your customers and build up a customer relationship, try to remember their names. It's not just the food, but good service is appreciated as well. Even on the street.
Many customers who eat from street stalls are people living alone on rented rooms and don't have access to a kitchen to cook for themselves. The appreciate if they can talk to someone and if you are a foreigner you are more interesting to most Peruvians.

There's any Italian guy selling pizzas on the street in Villa El Salvador in front of el municipalidad. I've eaten his pizzas and I would say, they are not very special but there's always a line of people waiting and people recommend him.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 pm

I love that a four paragraph response fails to answer the questions.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Kelly wrote:I love that a four paragraph response fails to answer the questions.

Once, you have a good customer base you can easily make 100 A DAY. But you must give good service and keep the quality of your products at the same level.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Profit or sales?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 pm

sbaustin wrote:Profit or sales?

Could you please simplify the question as it could be a little difficult to understand.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

100 soles profit can be made a day.
But it depends of yourself. If you sell bad food and treat your customers bad then you will be making a lot less.

You can buy a second hand cart for 250 soles, buy stock and start selling.

It's not a glamourous business and you won't become a milionaire but you can make descent money to live on.

There are many more glamourous jobs in Peru where you have to work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day for a boss who treats you like garbage!
I'd rather be my own boss and make much more money and work less hours.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm

euroman wrote:

You can buy a second hand cart for 250 soles, buy stock and start selling.

It's not a glamourous business and you won't become a milionaire but you can make descent money to live on.

I'm only curious and not judgmental about any jobs. And of course, treat your clients well, give them a product at a price that has a perceived value, etc. So what are the operating costs with this? I'm not referring to buying a cart which is fixed.

ie, product cost, storing cart at night, paying for security so it isn't stolen, transportation to/from yorur space, lighting, gas, business "license", etc? I'm trying to get the full picture of what goes into that 100 soles per night of profit.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

sbaustin wrote:, business "license" I'm trying to get the full picture.

Check it out for yourself. Walk around town and ask those streetsellers if they have a licence and how much they pay for SUNAT.

Don't make it complicated, doing a business is much easier than you think.

Just buy a cart, buy cheap stock at MAKRO. Some bottles of salsas, salchipapas, patatoes, minced meat, salad, burger rolls, napkins, plastic forks, plastic plates, a balon de gas and a gallon of frying fat,... and put your cart on the street in your neigbourhood at 6PM and start selling.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. I would rather feel embarassed working from early to late. 7 days a week for a boss who treates me like crap. And for a couple of 100 soles a month.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

euroman wrote:
sbaustin wrote:, business "license" I'm trying to get the full picture.

Check it out for yourself. Walk around town and ask those streetsellers if they have a licence and how much they pay for SUNAT.

Don't make it complicated, doing a business is much easier than you think.

Just buy a cart, buy cheap stock at MAKRO. Some bottles of salsas, salchipapas, patatoes, minced meat, salad, burger rolls, napkins, plastic forks, plastic plates, a balon de gas and a gallon of frying fat,... and put your cart on the street in your neigbourhood at 6PM and start selling.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. I would rather feel embarassed working from early to late. 7 days a week for a boss who treates me like s***. And for a couple of 100 soles a month.

There is nothing embarrassing about any honest job. I've not said anything different. I just wanted to know the full picture with regards to selling food or whatever on the street.

I'm quite aware with regards to how informal businesses work. These same people who work at night and now make a couple hundred soles per month (a lot different from 100 soles per day). That's very little for a foreigner that could teach their native language for $5-$10 an hour. I don't know what your native language is, but if you work 5 hours a work at $10/hour you make about 550 soles per month.

Anyways, the people who sell on the street probably get hit up by sunat and have to pay bribes/etc every once in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the mafia was collecting from them too. I quite enjoy the discussion of business and am just looking for full picture information to help others that maybe contemplating selling food on the street corner.

There is an interesting book called Freakonomics that I read (thank you, will not name you so people don't harass you about borrowing your books) and it had an interesting study about many things including drug dealers. The premise of one study was basically something like if drug dealers made so much money (talking USA) why do a vast majority of them live with their parents. It was a very interesting study and my point is that if selling stuff on the street (legal stuff like food/etc) was so lucrative and easy, why aren't there more people doing it. Something to consider.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 pm

sbaustin wrote:I'm quite aware with regards to how informal businesses work. These same people who work at night and now make a couple hundred soles per month (a lot different from 100 soles per day). That's very little for a foreigner that could teach their native language for $5-$10 an hour. I don't know what your native language is, but if you work 5 hours a work at $10/hour you make about 550 soles per month.

if selling stuff on the street (legal stuff like food/etc) was so lucrative and easy, why aren't there more people doing it. Something to consider.

I think there are many english teachers slaving themselves out for far less than the wage you mentioned.
You also calculated that working 5 hours a day for $10 per hour will work out 550 soles a month.

Actually, 5 hours a day @$10 per hour will work out around 3800 soles a month. Based on a 6 day working week.
You should ask english teacher how much they make. You'll be surprised. I think many will be very happy if they could make half of that money.

Back to the streetselling,
not everyone wants to do it or feel embarassed for working 'on the street'.
Not everybody can run such a business or they tried and failed because they sold bad food or didn't know how to treat customers.
Some people cannot get the money to invest together. 350 soles sounds little money but for some people it's a fortune.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 25, 2011 7:27 pm

I wrote teaching your native language 5 hours a week, not per day. 5 hours a week should be pretty easy to do and that is very far from being a slave to someone and you make more at that than working all night. Not sure I understand your point about it.

Again, if it was a lucrative business, ie top money or even easy money there would be more people doing it. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone else, I'm only hoping you review it more in depth before making blanket statements about the business.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 pm

sbaustin wrote:I wrote teaching your native language 5 hours a week, not per day. 5 hours a week should be pretty easy to do and that is very far from being a slave to someone and you make more at that than working all night. Not sure I understand your point about it.

Again, if it was a lucrative business, ie top money or even easy money there would be more people doing it. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone else, I'm only hoping you review it more in depth before making blanket statements about the business.

It's like any other business, if you are good at it, you can make good money. This business is not for everyone. You need skills that why not everyone is doing it.

My novia her mother was used to sell sandwiches and juices every morning from a cart in front of her house and she made a good income.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Let us know when you start up so you can give us an expat discount.
alexander e
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alexander e » Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Well guys I am thinking on doing this vending sanwinchs little business, i am looking to buy a "combi" and install a grill and all necesary things, is just like doing the thing on a truck like in NY but smaller, There is one "COMBI" that is parked on Arriola ave close to Javier Prado clinica RICARDO PALMA, the "combi" is there from 6pm till 1am daily and on the weekends maybe till 3am.
If there is anybody that is hardworker and are thinking also on doing this please let me know.. we go 50/50 on the biz.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Roach-Coach.jpg
what you need is a Roach Coach :D
Roach-Coach.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
what you need is a Roach Coach :D
alexander e
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alexander e » Sat May 28, 2011 5:55 pm

there are a lots of them in Seattle-WA.. I think I can buy an inexpensive chinesse truck and adapted for the job.. have u been in the biz food before?..
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am

"Live like an executive" and "be your own boss" selling food on the street....in peru? are you mad?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 pm

renodante wrote:"Live like an executive" and "be your own boss" selling food on the street....in peru? are you mad?

Consider the source :lol:
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 am

rama0929 wrote:
renodante wrote:"Live like an executive" and "be your own boss" selling food on the street....in peru? are you mad?

The other day we took my gf's niece to Plaza San Miguel to play in the Coney Park and in front was a dude dressed as batman. For a moment I thought about how wonderful it would be if that was my job to be able to put my costume on for 8 or however many hours, get my paycheck, and have zero stress related to my job and to be able to leave work at the end of the shift and that's it. The thought did pass through my mind although I realize how lucky I am to be able to do what I do. Everyone's ideal job is their own and additionally if someone has no job and no job prospects, being able to start a business up (whether selling choripan and anticuchos on the street or otherwise) is a good thing as long as one goes into it with open eyes and the correct expectations.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 am

sbaustin wrote:
rama0929 wrote:

Everyone's ideal job is their own and additionally if someone has no job and no job prospects, being able to start a business up (whether selling choripan and anticuchos on the street or otherwise) is a good thing as long as one goes into it with open eyes and the correct expectations.

Generally, I agree. But the way euroman presents things leaves much to be desired.

I wouldn't mind selling choripan y anticuchos en Lima, pero, I have a certain reality about things down there and the way things work. That's why I'm not down there selling choripan y anticuchos :lol:

He's definitely an interesting character, and if I ever make it to Tarapoto, I'd love to buy him a beer and exchange ideas.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

and the correct expectations.

"living like an executive" off of the soles you make from a day of selling food on the street in peru is not a correct expectation. "live like a hippy" would be closer to the mark.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register