Immigration Trouble / Need Info

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johndog

Immigration Trouble / Need Info

Postby johndog » Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Up until a month ago I was living a nice quite life outside the town of Huancabamba, Pasco, Peru. One Sunday a couple federal police showed up and wanted to look at everyones papers. My friends are legal in Peru. One is Peruana and married to an American with all his paper in order. Me, I was 375 days past my visa expiration date.Stupid I know. They said I had to go, so off I went leaving my half built house and more importantly my dog. Back to California.
I was totally prepared to pay my fines at the airport,but was fined NOTHING !. What was up with that I wondered. What I have been told by my friends is that I an on some major "poop list" and cannot return to Peru ever. I had not done anything illegal, had not caused any trouble, just overstayed my visa.
Does anyone know how I can find out ( from the states ) what my status really is ?

Thanks for any help, John

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Immigration Trouble / Need Info

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 21, 2011 7:52 am

It is a pitty you followed the trend of many, by overstaying and not thinking of the consequences. You may have thought you acted lawfully, but in fact you broke the law. As an illegal Alien you were then deported back to your home country and the government can confiscate / freeze all assets you may have here in Peru. The government are acting on this more so now and in February funding was made available by the government for this particular crime. Your details will be placed on the system and you may not be allowed re-enter Peru. This is a very serious matter and I believe the only recourse is to seek legal advice and if you have a friend who lives locally ask him to check if a notice has been issued and posted againt your home.

I am sorry but this is a stark warning to all that believe it is a minor issue and can just pay the fines.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

johndog wrote: I had not done anything illegal, had not caused any trouble, just overstayed my visa.
Does anyone know how I can find out ( from the states ) what my status really is ?

How can you say you haven't done anything illegal when you were illegally staying in a country for over a year? I guess you now have to go to the Peruvian embassy or consulate in the US to see what can be done.
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Remigius wrote:
johndog wrote: I had not done anything illegal, had not caused any trouble, just overstayed my visa.

How can you say you haven't done anything illegal when you were illegally staying in a country for over a year? I guess you now have to go to the Peruvian embassy or consulate in the US to see what can be done.

Sorry to say, but I agree with Remigius statement as well.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I can't say I don't agree as I myself have spent a lot of money border hopping to stay legal but what gets me is that people in Migraciones actually told us it was fine to over stay and just pay the fees. Really they need to make it clear as everyone seems to think it is OK when apparently it is not.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat May 21, 2011 4:36 pm

johndog wrote:Up until a month ago I was living a nice quite life outside the town of Huancabamba, Pasco, Peru. One Sunday a couple federal police showed up and wanted to look at everyones papers. My friends are legal in Peru. One is Peruana and married to an American with all his paper in order. Me, I was 375 days past my visa expiration date.Stupid I know. They said I had to go, so off I went leaving my half built house and more importantly my dog. Back to California. <br sourceIndex="794"> I was totally prepared to pay my fines at the airport,but was fined NOTHING !. What was up with that I wondered. What I have been told by my friends is that I an on some major "***** list" and cannot return to Peru ever. I had not done anything illegal, had not caused any trouble, just overstayed my visa.<br sourceIndex="795"> Does anyone know how I can find out ( from the states ) what my status really is ?<br sourceIndex="796"><br sourceIndex="797"> Thanks for any help, John

Ok, this is scary... The same thing happened to me when I left back in March. I had overstayed for several months and was also expecting to have to pay. However, the immigrations guy just stamped my passport and that was it. I asked him if I didn't have to pay. He was kind of surprised and checked my passport again, and then he realized I did have to pay, so I did. I am not sure if this is the same thing. He did not tell me I could never come back or anything like that. He was very friendly and just asked my why I always stay for so long. I told him I have a novia in Peru and he just asked me some friendly questions about how I met her, where she lives, etc.
Last edited by KenBE on Sat May 21, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm

KenBE wrote:Ok, this is scary... The same thing happened to me when I left back in March. I had overstayed for several months and was also expecting to have to pay. However, the immigrations guy just stamped my passport and that was it. I asked him if I didn't have to pay. He was kind of surprised and checked my passport again, and then he realized I did have to pay, so I did. I am not sure if this is the same thing. He did not tell me I could never come back or anything like that. He was very friendly and just asked my why I always stay for so long. I told him I have a novia in Peru and he just asked me some friendly questions about how I met, where she lives, etc.

A smile and a friendly personality really does make a difference with important things like this :)
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sat May 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Not to pile on, but I really can't understand why someone would do things like acquire pets or build houses while living in a country illegally. Especially so it Peru where it's not that hard to obtain legal residency.
johndog

Postby johndog » Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Thank you all for your voices on this matter, but I am asking for advice here not criticism. Adrian has given me some useful advice . Also I brought my dog with me to Peru and could not afford the $600 to fly her back. She is in safe hands with my friends. I was definitely misinformed about the overstay. Guilty as charged .But, I am upset about this enough. I really don't need a verbal spanking ! :oops:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 21, 2011 9:53 pm

johndog wrote:Thank you all for your voices on this matter, but I am asking for advice here not criticism. Adrian has given me some useful advice . Also I brought my dog with me to Peru and could not afford the $600 to fly her back. She is in safe hands with my friends. I was definitely misinformed about the overstay. Guilty as charged .But, I am upset about this enough. I really don't need a verbal spanking ! :oops:

John it is a long shot but I am told that if your friend can take a copy, PDF, Fax, etc of your passport and entry stamp, exit stamp plus the money for the fine, immigration can except it on your hehalf and lift any penalties against you. I really think it is worth a try.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sun May 22, 2011 4:12 pm

John, I do hope it works out for you, and that you're able to return to Peru and pick up your life there.

That being said, your experience does serve as a bit of a warning to others who flout the law. Peru does make it relatively easy for gringos to obtain residency, far more so than the US does. As there are legal means available I think it's usually best to take advantage of them rather that pushing your luck.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun May 22, 2011 9:43 pm

You could always try coming back the 'livinginperu' way .. ;)
http://youtu.be/3NbN7yl2_fM
alexander e
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alexander e » Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 pm

John there is a list of tramitadores that are refered by other expats go to "the ultmate Peru list" webpage u ill find theire phone numbers and some info, I think your problem can be resolved rather fast. good luck.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Mon May 23, 2011 5:44 pm

John, have you verified that you actually have to leave the country? I cant tell you the number of times I've been given misinformation by people at govt offices, police, etc...

As far as I know from all the research I've done, the only penalty for overstaying a visa is a fine.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 pm

NexLevel wrote:As far as I know from all the research I've done, the only penalty for overstaying a visa is a fine.

I think there's a huge difference between overstaying for, let's say 2 weeks, and, in this case, 375 days.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 pm

John, you would´t have any problem at all. I did a few weeks ago a border hop after overstaying more than 2 years. The immigration officer put my name in the computer but couldn´t find anythings back about me so he had to look at the stamp in my passport. The fee I paid was much lower than I was supposed to pay. You have to negotiate of course. I paid 250 soles. And I came back 4 hours later and got another 183 days in my passport. The same immigration officer saw me and asked how it was in Ecuador and said that it looks like I prefer Peru. As a joke he said, I hope to see you again in 2 years.

In August I will be going to Bolivia or Brasil for a vacation, I deserve it after working so hard, he he he :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

euroman wrote:John, you would´t have any problem at all.

Oh, what great advise from Tarapoto. :roll: One day a overzealous officer will knock on your door and your party will be over.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Remigius wrote:
NexLevel wrote:As far as I know from all the research I've done, the only penalty for overstaying a visa is a fine.

I think there's a huge difference between overstaying for, let's say 2 weeks, and, in this case, 375 days.

178,695 CRC to be exact!
if you use Costa Rican Colons
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Remigius wrote:

Oh, what great advise from Tarapoto. :roll: One day a overzealous officer will knock on your door and your party will be over.

I recently got another 183 days so I am legal and in August I go to Brasil or Bolivia. So, from July onwards I will get again 183 days.

Remigius, how long have you been overstaying already?
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 pm

euroman wrote:
Remigius wrote:

I recently got another 183 days so I am legal and in August I go to Brasil or Bolivia. So, from July onwards I will get again 183 days.

Remigius, how long have you been overstaying already?

I, my friend, went from passport, to Carnet de Extranjería (2x), to citizenship, DNI and passport complying with all the requirements set by the Peruvian government, renewing documents, paying fees and taxes *on time*, without having to overstay one single day or bribing officers to dodge my obligations. I have a very low regard for people like you. Let John finds his way back to Peru the correct way instead of taking your bad advise.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Remigius wrote:
I, my friend, went from passport, to Carnet de Extranjería (2x), to citizenship, DNI and passport complying with all the requirements set by the Peruvian government, renewing documents, paying fees and taxes *on time*, without having to overstay one single day or bribing officers to dodge my obligations. I have a very low regard for people like you. Let John finds his way back to Peru the correct way instead of taking your bad advise.

I am not giving him bad advice. I told him that he will not get any problems getting back. He hasn't been charged with anything so he can come back.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 am

euroman wrote:I am not giving him bad advice. I told him that he will not get any problems getting back. He hasn't been charged with anything so he can come back.

You advise was bad, because your case does not resemble his. Basically you are assuming the federal police and customs at Jorge Chavez have not made a note regarding his illegal stay in Peru, based on the fact he did not have to pay a fine and you hop over and dodge your obligations, because most border offices are corrupt like hell and do anything for an extra buck. In the end, he could return just like that and get lucky, but since plane tickets are expensive and they might indeed have a file on his illegal stay, he could make things even worse. So, the best advise for him at this moment is to contact either DIGEMIN in Lima, the Peruvian embassy in the US or a Peruvian consulate to find out what his status is.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Remigius wrote:
euroman wrote:I am not giving him bad advice. I told him that he will not get any problems getting back. He hasn't been charged with anything so he can come back.

You advise was bad, because your case does not resemble his. Basically you are assuming the federal police and customs at Jorge Chavez have not made a note regarding his illegal stay in Peru, based on the fact he did not have to pay a fine and you hop over and dodge your obligations, because most border offices are corrupt like hell and do anything for an extra buck.

I was in Lima, last year to enquire about visas. The immigration officer asked for my passport because he couldn't find my name back in the computer. He looked at my stamp and said, if I want to apply for a visa then I must leave the country for a day or so and then come back and then he could help me out with getting a visa.

If he didn't have to pay a fine then it shows that nothing is registered against him.

I wrote him a PM and advised him to contact his nearest Peruvian consulate. Maybe they can find out more.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 pm

euroman wrote:If he didn't have to pay a fine then it shows that nothing is registered against him.

That's an assumption, nothing more, nothing less. He was ordered to leave, so at the airport they checked his passport and whatever the reason may have been he didn't have to pay a fine does not automatically mean his case has not been filed afterwards by either customs or the federal police. He simply needs to know if his actions have had consequences before returning to Peru.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Euroman please try and read the story of Hans Brinker. It is an important legend in Holland and would be a useful reminder to you.
You have consistantly lied on the forum and if not lied, embroidered the truth. You have been warned by others. but just think it is great fun. The information is very important to all and by providing incorrect facts can be very destuctive.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Remigius wrote:
euroman wrote:If he didn't have to pay a fine then it shows that nothing is registered against him.

That's an assumption, nothing more, nothing less. He was ordered to leave, so at the airport they checked his passport and whatever the reason may have been he didn't have to pay a fine does not automatically mean his case has not been filed afterwards by either customs or the federal police. He simply needs to know if his actions have had consequences before returning to Peru.

He said that they said that he had to leave. We even don`t know if they wrote his name down. Normally, when you ordered to leave you must have been given some kind of order on paper.

If his name would have been recorded then sure, he will have had to pay the fine. And where did they register his name? Many government offices are still doing everything with an old typewriter and many times things get lost.
johndog

Postby johndog » Tue May 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Now boys,let's not fight ! I now understand the course I need to take and will do just that. Thanks for all the info 8)
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 pm

If you find yourself in Lima airport, there is no way they would not allow you into the country. According to international rules, this would mean airline has to wear the costs of flying you back. This only happens in USA, I'm pretty much sure it never happened in history of Peru. And if you find yourself in Huaquillas, Ecuador, you can just walk into Peru without documents, there is no border control.

You should take with a grain of salt most advice offered here. Most expats living in Peru are retired baby-boomers from nanny states, and as such find it difficult to think outside the square. They also invested a lot of time and money into their "legal status", so of course will tell you that you must do so as well. However, the truth is, you don't need CE or Peruvian citizenship at all, in fact it will save you a lot of hassle not having it. The only use is chaper LAN flights (sometimes), but there are ways around it. I personally made some effort and had this CE thing, but eventually entered Peru on another passport and got tourist stamp, because they rip you off in good hotels if you're not foreign tourist, you pay extra tax. And I stayed in expensive hotel. Peru treats tourists better than its own citizens, tourists mean dollars for them. And they love dollars more than their own people! :D

What I think has happened to you, policeman wanted to get few soles bribe, and without it, told you "you're deported", which is obviously bs. There is no "special list of people banned from Peru", they allow everybody in. On crossing the border, immigration clerk has to open another page in their computer system to see your movements, which they probably were lazy to do, so you got away without fine. Maybe computer wasn't working properly, as anything in Peru can sometimes. Now if you just go back, no problem. If you contact embassy or some other authority, you may (or may not) come accross a person who would tell you "you have to pay fine and bring me 100 items of paperwork covered with stamps and fingerprints" or anything else they might think of. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 pm

mahou123 wrote:You should take with a grain of salt most advice offered here. Most expats living in Peru are retired baby-boomers from nanny states, and as such find it difficult to think outside the square. They also invested a lot of time and money into their "legal status", so of course will tell you that you must do so as well. However, the truth is, you don't need CE or Peruvian citizenship at all, in fact it will save you a lot of hassle not having it.

What an utter nonsense. Nobody is claiming he needs to have his DNI or CE to stay in this country. He just needed to hop the border in time to renew his tourist visa. Now he has to find out if he can return without problems to Peru by consulting the right channels (by the way, as a tourist you should have a return ticket). What's the deal with that? If find it rather insulting and plain dumb to ridicule people who choose to live in a country and do things by the book instead of following path of informality, but I guess as Fujimorista you are quite comfortable with the latter.
johndog

Postby johndog » Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 pm

The Polocia Federal did take down all my information as well as my friends info. I basically left so as not to get them in any trouble. They said there would be problems for everyone if I wasn't gone when they returned. And they did return a week later with a Peruvian that had had a problem with my friends leading the posse ! I was history and the boys in blue were totally pissed at our "X-amigo"..... :roll:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 pm

mahou123 wrote:If you find yourself in Lima airport, there is no way they would not allow you into the country. According to international rules, this would mean airline has to wear the costs of flying you back. This only happens in USA, I'm pretty much sure it never happened in history of Peru. And if you find yourself in Huaquillas, Ecuador, you can just walk into Peru without documents, there is no border control.

You should take with a grain of salt most advice offered here. Most expats living in Peru are retired baby-boomers from nanny states, and as such find it difficult to think outside the square. They also invested a lot of time and money into their "legal status", so of course will tell you that you must do so as well. However, the truth is, you don't need CE or Peruvian citizenship at all, in fact it will save you a lot of hassle not having it. The only use is chaper LAN flights (sometimes), but there are ways around it.

What I think has happened to you, policeman wanted to get few soles bribe, and without it, told you "you're deported", which is obviously bs. There is no "special list of people banned from Peru", they allow everybody in. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

100% agree, they were just after some propina.

I recently did a border hop to Ecuador so I got another 183 days.
For the last 2.5 years before that, I was illegal and travelled many times from Tarapoto to other destinations.
At Tarapoto, before you go to the gates, you have to pass a police checkpoint where they put your name in the computer. I never got asked any questions.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Is this the type of help people want? I am sure there are many other tricks you can show them.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Is this the type of help people want? I am sure there are many other tricks you can show them.

Adrian, in this particular case, someone betrayed him be someone who has something against him. That guy probably paid police money to give him and his friends some problems.

I am advising people to border hop every 6 months. I recently did my border hop and got another 183 days.

A CE is a costly and complicated procedure and is only valid for a limited time as well. And then you have to pay and go through a lot of hassle again. A CE is just a card that alows you to stay in Peru without the need to border hop. (and can be used as a discount card with LAN Peru but I flew several with LAN and got also the lower fare without a CE)
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 am

Remigius wrote:If find it rather insulting and plain dumb to ridicule people who choose to live in a country and do things by the book instead of following path of informality, but I guess as Fujimorista you are quite comfortable with the latter.

I find it dumb to answer the OP question with something like "you have to do the things the right way" or "look at me, I obeyed every requirement of every Peruvian clerk, however ridiculous, and I'm so proud of it". The guy is asking for advice/experience on particular situation, not for a story of how Remigius managed to successfully immigrate to Peru. Euroman writes something that makes sense, but you start to jump up and down about it, yet have nothing to offer apart from "do things by the book".

So you became Peruvian? Well done, this is a real benefit to Peruvian society. Now please don't "forget" to report your overseas income to SUNAT, so you don't break the law and they can tax you in a proper way. Do things by the book, and pay back to the nation that agreed to accept you as one of their own.

And speaking of "fujimorista", there is really no need for your silly, pathetic trolling here. My political views are the views of the winners, not the losers. :wink: You can oppose them in a special political part of the forum. But don't forget to vote for Keiko next Sunday anyway, amigo Peruano. Otherwise you will either pay fine, or risk your greedy capitalist assets confiscated in the name of Bolivarian Revolution. :lol:
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 am

johndog wrote:The Polocia Federal did take down all my information as well as my friends info. I basically left so as not to get them in any trouble. They said there would be problems for everyone if I wasn't gone when they returned. And they did return a week later with a Peruvian that had had a problem with my friends leading the posse ! I was history and the boys in blue were totally pissed at our "X-amigo"..... :roll:

Police would take all your information, it's ok, it's their job. But what problems could there be if you didn't leave? Would they buy you a ticket to California? :lol: Seriously, they could do nothing. They can't even keep criminals behind bars. In my understanding, police really can't lay any charges, it should be "fiscal", separate entity. That's why there is so much crime: if somebody gets caught, in most cases police has to let them go as fiscal wouldn't lay charges.

euroman wrote:in this particular case, someone betrayed him be someone who has something against him. That guy probably paid police money to give him and his friends some problems.

I also think it is most likely that this is what really happened.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed May 25, 2011 7:47 am

euroman wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:Is this the type of help people want? I am sure there are many other tricks you can show them.

Adrian, in this particular case, someone betrayed him be someone who has something against him. That guy probably paid police money to give him and his friends some problems.

I am advising people to border hop every 6 months. I recently did my border hop and got another 183 days.

A CE is a costly and complicated procedure and is only valid for a limited time as well. And then you have to pay and go through a lot of hassle again. A CE is just a card that alows you to stay in Peru without the need to border hop. (and can be used as a discount card with LAN Peru but I flew several with LAN and got also the lower fare without a CE)

I will reply but do think my effort is waisted.
Based on the information provided John had a problem and wanted advice not unfounded accusations. You are proposing border hopping and I agree to stay within the law it is a good idea, but in this case it was good advise given to late. I do not know your status in Peru as you have had many guises and has become a little difficult to follow.

Obtaining a CE is a privilege to have and has many advantages over a visitors visa, including to legal right to secure paid employment. Not every person coming to Peru has a private income. With the new laws in place now It is more costly to make one trip to Equador for a border hop than pay the cost of a CE.

Your are a prolific poster but mostly of no constructive value. It would help if you could do your home work and ensure factuallity prior to writing and if embroidering the truth remember what you say.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

I'd like to remind posters to stay on topic. I think the members of this forum are smart enough to discuss the situation rationally without making snide, ad hominem attacks.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 pm

mahou123 wrote:
Police would take all your information, it's ok, it's their job. But what problems could there be if you didn't leave? Would they buy you a ticket to California? :lol: Seriously, they could do nothing. They can't even keep criminals behind bars. In my understanding, police really can't lay any charges, it should be "fiscal", separate entity. That's why there is so much crime: if somebody gets caught, in most cases police has to let them go as fiscal wouldn't lay charges.

Sure, the fiscal has much more worser criminals to deal with than a gringo who overstayed his touristvisa. The fiscal won't waste his time with that. And if they lay charges, the procedure will take months, maybe years and you have the right to appeal against decisions from the court and that will take again ages? I never heard a case about a backpacker or other gringo who had to stand trail for overstaying his visa.

And this can be costly for the government because as you don't have an income, you have the right of a free lawyer If your spanish is not good or you pretend not to speak spanish, they must provide an official interpreter. Are they going to pay that???
We are talking about Johndog who overstayed his visa, we are not talking about Jorin Vandersloot. (his tourist visa is for sure already expired as well)

And deporting you? There are people dying in front of hospitals doors because they don't have money to pay for treatment and medication. Do you think the government is going to give free tickets home for gringos???
(if they do, I think there will be many gringos going to overstay and turning themselves in at police, just to get a free ticket home.
Look, you are doing nothing wrong and not allowed to work so you can only spend money, which is good for the economy.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm

euroman wrote:Look, you are doing nothing wrong and not allowed to work so you can only spend money, which is good for the economy.

I am quite certain that is not how the immigration law in Peru is written. I just pray that tomorrow we don't see you posting about your interest and/or job offers for becoming a lawyer here in Peru.

Tha said, and since you, Johndog, seem to be out of Peru already, would follow Adrian's advice and send a friend to immigration to see what they can find out. If you are prohibited from re-entry, I would contact a lawyer here in Peru to see what can be done (probably not an inexpensive option but it may be your only option). In either case good luck (and please don't take legal advise from Euroman, Esq.) :wink:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

johndog wrote: They said there would be problems for everyone if I wasn't gone when they returned. And they did return a week later with a Peruvian that had had a problem with my friends leading the posse ! I was history and the boys in blue were totally pissed at our "X-amigo"..... :roll:

mahou123 wrote:
What I think has happened to you, policeman wanted to get few soles bribe, and without it, told you "you're deported", which is obviously bs. There is no "special list of people banned from Peru", they allow everybody in. O might think of.

When he left, they didn't hassle him to pay the fine. If his name would be blacklisted then for sure they would have hassled him to pay for it.

And before they can blacklist him, there must have been some charges pressed against him. The police cannot decide to blacklist him. It's the decision of inmigrationes.

And the police just knocked his door because some fool betrayed him and the police saw this an opportunity to get some propina. His friends told him that the police came back a week later and where disappointed he wasn't their anymore. So no chance to collect the propina. And that why they were pissed at the snitch.[
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed May 25, 2011 5:18 pm

johndog wrote:Up until a month ago I was living a nice quite life outside the town of Huancabamba, Pasco, Peru. One Sunday a couple federal police showed up and wanted to look at everyones papers. My friends are legal in Peru. One is Peruana and married to an American with all his paper in order. Me, I was 375 days past my visa expiration date.Stupid I know. They said I had to go, so off I went leaving my half built house and more importantly my dog. Back to California.
I was totally prepared to pay my fines at the airport,but was fined NOTHING !. What was up with that I wondered. What I have been told by my friends is that I an on some major "***** list" and cannot return to Peru ever. I had not done anything illegal, had not caused any trouble, just overstayed my visa.

Thanks for any help, John

Johndog, don't let the doomsayers get you down. First of all, no one has the right to criticize you. Isn't it curious how people love to criticize but don't really care to help solve a problem? It's just far easier for some people to sit in their ivory towers and judge others.

This is Peru, my friend. Unless you are a known criminal or have seriously pissed off someone in authority, you needn't worry. If you are still in Peru and not in custody, that means you have not been deported. No government sends an agent round to say, "oh by the way, we're deporting you." They would take you into custody, haul you to the nearest convenient source of transportation (convenient for them) and ship your happy "S" home.

Will you or won't you be denied re-entry to Peru when you leave? No one can answer that question with 100% certitude, however it is highly unlikely if you haven't been a criminal or troublemaker (and no, overstaying one's permission is an infraction, not a criminal act - no es delito sino una falta administrativa).

You're in Latin America now, not Disneyland. Oops, I've just read the rest of the postings; it seems you may have already left Peru. Come back. Being deported or denied re-entry is a formal process; it is not up to a run-of-the-mill flatfoot to decide.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Polaron wrote:Come back. Being deported or denied re-entry is a formal process; it is not up to a run-of-the-mill flatfoot to decide.

I would tend to agree because, in fact, that may be the only way he will know for sure (when he arrives at the immigration desk at the airport). However, since he had to leave his dog, I drew the conclusion that maybe he doesn't have an endless supply of funds. I sure would hate to spend $1000.00 on airfare only to find out this was one of the few processes that worked "efficiently" in Peru and I couldn't even make it out of the airport.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm

MarcoPE wrote: I sure would hate to spend $1000.00 on airfare only to find out this was one of the few processes that worked "efficiently" in Peru and I couldn't even make it out of the airport.

Yeah, pay a little extra for the peace of mind. Send a connect to Immigrations, see what they have to say.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Sun May 29, 2011 4:58 pm

If you are out of Peru at this point in time, just go to the nearest Peruvian consulate office and chat with them. They will be happy to discuss your status. When in Atlanta, I sometimes stop by the consulate office to handle some business or ask a question. The guys in there are really nice and helpful.........
johndog

Postby johndog » Sun May 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks Richard, I plan on going down to San Diego and have a chat with whomever I need to talk to.....

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register