No More Cell Phones for Tourists & Informals

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

No More Cell Phones for Tourists & Informals

Postby americorps » Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm

There is a new rule from Osiptel that says you can no longer get a pre-paid cell phone with a passport, you must now present a carnet or DNI.

Clearly, this does not effect me, but it might some on this board, and I wonder how much money they will loose as many tourists loved the idea of getting a cheap cell phone for $25 and using it while they were here.

I am not sure why the rules have been presented, just saw the notice at 3 different cell phone stores tonight.

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No More Cell Phones for Tourists & Informals

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I would think this may also apply to sim cards. Does it have anything to do with the fact users of pre-pay must register their number to a name and address, supported by CE or DNI. When I registered the number was also registered to another fraudulent user, which needed rectifying. I hadn't noticed the escallating call costs.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed May 25, 2011 5:27 pm

americorps wrote:There is a new rule from Osiptel that says you can no longer get a pre-paid cell phone with a passport, you must now present a carnet or DNI.

Clearly, this does not effect me, but it might some on this board, and I wonder how much money they will loose as many tourists loved the idea of getting a cheap cell phone for $25 and using it while they were here.

I am not sure why the rules have been presented, just saw the notice at 3 different cell phone stores tonight.

Oh man, now we're going to see prestanombres for cell phones. You pay a Peruvian S/. 50 or S/. 100 or who knows how much, and he will buy your cell phone under his own name.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 pm

americorps wrote:There is a new rule from Osiptel that says you can no longer get a pre-paid cell phone with a passport, you must now present a carnet or DNI.

Pfff, there are a lot of notices of whatever around, but Peruvians don't read them. The phone sellers just want your money. They are not interested in whether you got a LAN Discount Card (CE) or not.
Polaron wrote:

Polaron wrote:Oh man, now we're going to see prestanombres for cell phones. You pay a Peruvian S/. 50 or S/. 100 or who knows how much, and he will buy your cell phone under his own name.

So, another good reason for having a Peruvian novia...you can buy a phone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polaron, I don't think you have to pay S/.50 or S/.100 soles. Give a fumon a 1 or 2 lucas (enough to buy some glue to sniff or a joint) and he will help you out with anything.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Well, euroman, your presumption sort of does not fit the reality.

OSIPTEL now requires a second process for activiating your phone that requires a verified carnet or dni, so ignoring the rule will give you a phone that does not function.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:43 pm

americorps wrote:Well, euroman, your presumption sort of does not fit the reality.

OSIPTEL now requires a second process for activiating your phone that requires a verified carnet or dni, so ignoring the rule will give you a phone that does not function.

There also another way of communicating?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoon ... n2605l.jpg
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

That's really annoying.

I suppose it's good news for the expensive rent a cell phone services.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register