Naturalization NOT based on marriage

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Candy

Naturalization NOT based on marriage

Postby Candy » Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 pm

First off, I apologize if a similar post has already been made on this board. I went back as far as I could but I saw nothing on the matter. I would very much appreciate any input any of you may have regarding acquiring the Peruvian citizenship NOT based on marriage or any family relations at all. I have been living in Peru with a CE for 6 years now as a Working Resident and I want to do the naturalization process, but I just came back from the DIGEMIN offices and quite frankly I am more than bummed out. I do have all the requirements ( the paystubs, a contract, the required amount of legal residency etc. all I need is a "visacion" of my work certificate from the Ministerio de Trabajo which shouldn't be a problem) BUT the lady at the Naturalization office told me that the naturalization tramit could take anywhere from 1 to 2 years. That is a LOT of time! Way more than I expected.

I know that when done based on marriage it doesn't take this long and things seem simpler. Has anyone here obtained the citizenship based on work, or does anyone here know someone who has? If this is going to take so darn long, I might as well just forget about it and change my status to "inmigrante" eventhough it's 300 bucks. I want to be able to work ANYWHERE in Lima with a normal contract. Don't want the employer to have to state that they will pay for my tickets home when the contract expires. I've lost two jobs already because the company wasn't willing to sign that type of special contract.

Any input will be much appreciated as I am feeling pretty down right now and SOO frustrated by Peruvian law It's not even funny :(.

Kelly

Re: Naturalization NOT based on marriage

Postby Kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Oddly enough, there's a post on this about two posts down. ;)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Oddly enough, there's a post on this about two posts down. ;)
Candy

Postby Candy » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Oops... I did go through a couple threads down below that talk about the naturalization process but they don't seem to be about cases like mine, (where the citizenship isn't obtained through marriage, just based on work). Actually, I made a pause while typing this to go re-read them all but they all seem to be talking about getting it through marriage or parentesco. May I know which thread it is?

Thank you so much.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Sorry, I should have put the link - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13877&view=unread#unread

I really am not too sure of the process for not being married to a Peruvian, and perhaps I'm wrong about what they're discussing. I'm pretty sure, though, that the original poster in that thread is not married to a Peruvian.
Candy

Postby Candy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Thank you, Kelly! I just checked the thread. Hopefully others with this same issue will come forth and share their experience obtaining the citizenship.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Tue May 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Candy,
There aren't a lot of people who are worker residents processing nationalization. I saw an article en El Comercio that said about 5 a year in the whole country. So there is not a lot of info on it on expatperu. You will find they discourage you in migraciones because they don't think you'll want the headache. If you plan to live in Peru permanently and aren't married to a Peruvian, it's probably still worth it in the long run to avoid the problems you mentioned of trying to get employers to give you long contracts and benefits.

I am currently in the process. Due to the change in presidency, they have also told me up to a year. On the bright side, they said with everything in order possibly less than 6 months. But they were skeptical because it has to sit on the president himself's desk and that can take some time. I am hoping for the best. I should get a call to come take the exam the last Friday in June.

You do have to decide if it is worth it and if the time-commitment is worth for you. For me I am doing it no matter how difficult but that may not be your case.

Martha
Martha
Candy

Postby Candy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks for your input Martha. It helps hearing from someone who is on the exact same boat as me. I honestly do want to acquire the citizenship for many reasons. Mainly, I have no intentions of going back home and I feel that I have paid my dues here. I've been here for so long, paying taxes and respecting the law, I want to be awarded the same rights as any peruvian. I really want to become fully integrated into the culture and adopt it as my own. You are right though, people at DIGEMIN are often very discouraging ... like I said, the lady today made it sound like the whole "up to 1 year" thing was really just a bunch of words and that it could take even longer than that and there was no way to know just how long. It's disheartening, but I still want to do it.

My only concern is, what happens if I decide to change my status from Working Resident to Immigrant while the citizenship is in process? Would this create any issues? Also.. what about changing jobs while the citizenship is being evaluated? I hope this doesn't mean that we have to be tied to the same job for the entire length of the naturalization process. I just don't like the idea of being stuck in the same place for such a long indefinite period of time.

If I'm given a chance to take the exam the last friday in June, we might just run into each other. I'm hoping to be evaluated that same day!
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Wed May 25, 2011 12:25 pm

What's this exam for? What things does it ask, do you know already?
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Wed May 25, 2011 3:03 pm

The exam is for everyone who naturalizes that is not married to a Peruvian.

The exam is just 10 questions. 6 answers must be correct to pass. The subjects are Peruvian culture, geography, history, language, and current events. They will not narrow it down more than that and I was told to study and that it is "nothing complicated." It is written. It is given the last Friday of the month. Since so few people go through the process, there are no prepared tips or materials that I have been able to locate (very different from the US where a little booklet prepares the candidates).

Martha
Candy

Postby Candy » Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't think it's too difficult, not from what I've been told at DIGEMIN. And if you don't pass it the first time, you can do a retake. It's supposed to be a very simple exam with pretty basic questions, so I'm not too worried about it!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register