Shipping personal items to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shipping personal items to Peru

Postby lizzym » Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm

My parents want to send some winter clothes that I left behind last year due to lack of luggage space, but have been informed that Peru has laws against sending used clothing items, shoes, and accessories due to the widespread re-selling of them that happens here (no surprise there.)

Anyone know of a way around that? I would hate for everything to get confiscated in customs.

I've also asked them to send some of my books, and while I plan to eventually get them all here (in installments), they've packed my favorite authors first... I would especially hate to lose those. Are there laws against sending books, too?

euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shipping personal items to Peru

Postby euroman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Last edited by euroman on Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndog

Postby johndog » Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 pm

My mom sent me some books without any problem, But it was very expensive through USPS.....Two paperbacks for $14 US
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

I have received, four boxes of personal items I mailed from Australia to Lima about two weeks ago without any problems. My Items included most of my clothes,(shirts, jumpers, trousers and jackets) shoes, cd's, Bath sheets, electric blanket, mattress protector, office items even my good set of saucepans. (please, no comment, but they cost the earth) One of the four boxes was delivered while I was home, but I had to collect the other three. Unfortunately Serpost is not as efficient as Australia Post so I do not fully recommend using the postal method. Two of my boxes were in one district and we were shuffled around to four different people, had to pay a fee, get 2 copies of my passport and it all took about two hours. The last box was in a different district, but the procedures followed the same path and again, it took two hours. All boxes were opened in front of us and were scarcely looked into.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 pm

As Tony said I also sent two cases of 40 kilo each to my self when I visited the UK, which contained clothing books electrical goods etc. On collection from Serpost I presented my stamped passport, which confirmed I was present when the cases were despatched and varified the goods were personal belongings. I had no problems collecting the cases.
agantuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby agantuk » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Last year I shipped 6 USPS boxes full of books from the US to Lima by USPS International Priority Mail. You have to fill out customs declaration forms (I declared the books as documents) and you can even get a small discount if you do part of the process online on the USPS website.

This is the one I used:
Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box: cost - $58.50, size - 12" x 12" x 5-1/2", weight limit - 20 lbs
http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mai ... prices.htm

All the boxes were delivered by SERPOST right to the door.

And here is the general rules of what you can and cannot mail to Peru using USPS:
http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ps_005.htm
jbgrams

Postby jbgrams » Thu May 26, 2011 3:24 pm

I just received a box of personal items from home about two weeks ago. It was shipped via regular mail and arrived to the serpost. We received a note regarding where to pick up the box. After filing some paperwork, I was able to get my items without being taxed or hassled. The agent did say something about only being able to receive clothes and similar items up to 6 months after your arrival in Peru. (I have only been here 4 months so it was no problem) However, I am not sure how strict they may be if you have been here for more than 6 months.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm

My company shipped my work boots, work clothes, and books (again, my company, NOT ME) to the mining company I will be working for down here. It was seized by customs, marked as used clothing, and wouldn't be delivered. Then my trip got delayed, so it got marked as abandoned items. The company I'm working for down here had to jump through some hoops to get them out.

So even in a case where it's sent by companies, there's a good chance it still might be seized.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register