Importing vehicle to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
josedelarosa

Importing vehicle to Peru

Postby josedelarosa » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 am

I am Jose De La Rosa! Ok, I just wanna know: If i can import my car here in peru and yes i am aware of the import taxes you have to pay here and I am also awere of the 5 year rule. My Car, yes it's has a body of a 1992 car but the engine is brand new with onlly 100 KM, so is everything else because this car is not design to be a daily driver is design for off-road used only. I am currectly working here in peru as an Mec. Eng. Building Simple Or Combined Cycle Power Gen. Plants. I am an American: what I wanna know is if i can Import my 1992 Toyota Celica GT-4 whichs is heavily modified for racing and i would like to bring it here and become a member of the local Amateur Racing Organizations (like the SCCA, which I am member back in California where i am from). I will be here in peru for atleast 5 Years and btw living in peru with 6,000 or 10,000 Lucas "I am not sure if I am an American, woul I move here with that kind off money (I wouldn't), you would need min. 15,000 soles per month and that's only about 5,400.00 USD, if you wanna live more like your used to in the USA. btw i am single and don't have any kids or debt. and my salary is paid like an American Eng. Grad. From UCLA with 10 years of Exp." Anyways please help me with question because i really wanna know, if I can bring my car here. I have spend to much money on my car to just have it sitting in my garage at home for five years :shock: well thank you my new friends from this forum

Thank you

To all that take the tiem to Reply!!!!!

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Importing vehicle to Peru

Postby rama0929 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 pm

I know there is auto racing south of Lima (imports & I've seen ads for mototaxi races), unfortunately I don't have any more information. I don't know if it would be worth it to bring your car down, are you planning on DD it, or will you only be racing it?

I would be hesitant, as I'm fairly confident that your car'd be torn up there.
josedelarosa

Postby josedelarosa » Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Ha, your so correct: it's so freaking dangerous driving in lima...the taxi and the omni-buses are locos and they don't care if they hit you...right now i have a little kia rio jaja...it's my daily driver, like someone said before the gas prices here are fairly exp. and guess i would only be used for fun, against those rich peruvians with their porsches o audis and they have a lot of subaru's that are really cool here..jajaja, hey thanks for the information my news friend ajajaja
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

I am always tempted to bring a Harley to Peru. I spend 5-6 months, the summer of Peru in Peru. I realize that I'd be dragging my fatboy thru every bump and hole in San Bartolo and beyond. This coming summer I am getting a dual pupose. I have looked at importing a bike from US but doesn't really make sense if I am buying a dual purpose. There is an excellent selection in Peru. I may even try a Chinese bike.
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am

Importing a vehicle to Peru, I've got to add my two cents worth. I tried to import my US registered moto earlier this month, I followed all the correct procedures, paid for the inspections and other "fees" to an Aduana agent, as required I left my moto at a customs house. I was told that all the paperwork was in order and that there would be no problems. Then a couple of days later I get the dreaded "the rules have changed phone call". They tell me the rules changed four days ago and that I need to take the moto to Tacna and get my paperwork stamped, I ride down to Tacna and get a completely different story. The Aduana agent told me that I didn't need any of the paperwork that I had with me, I was told that I had to take my moto to Chile then hire a customs agent and that my moto had to be shipped back into Peru on a truck. All of the fees added up to to more than my moto is worth, I turned around and headed back to Lima. My temporary import permit expired on May 26, so I rode up to Cuenca and left my moto with friends, got back to Lima yesterday on a bus.

sanbartoloian, I bought a Mavila Cavalry here in LIma, it's a 200cc dual sport and at $1700 it is more expensive than the competition but the price includes three free services, a two year warranty and plates. The Surquillo dealership is a friendly place with a great shop, http://www.mavila.com.pe/x/ I'm using it around town and as a minimalist tourer, I've had no mechanical issues, your welcome to ride it if you want, I live in Surco.
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Gary your "two cents" is invaluable to me. I think that I will just take your lead and buy a bike when I get back to Peru. Thanks so much and you have my sympathy for the stuff you have been dealing with trying to get the bike.

Gary wrote:Importing a vehicle to Peru, I've got to add my two cents worth. I tried to import my US registered moto earlier this month, I followed all the correct procedures, paid for the inspections and other "fees" to an Aduana agent, as required I left my moto at a customs house. I was told that all the paperwork was in order and that there would be no problems. Then a couple of days later I get the dreaded "the rules have changed phone call". They tell me the rules changed four days ago and that I need

to take the moto to Tacna and get my paperwork stamped, I ride down to Tacna and get a completely different story. The Aduana agent told me that I didn't need any of the paperwork that I had with me, I was told that I had to take my moto to Chile then hire a customs agent and that my moto had to be shipped back into Peru on a truck. All of the fees added up to to more than my moto is worth, I turned around and headed back to Lima. My temporary import permit expired on May 26, so I rode up to Cuenca and left my moto with friends, got back to Lima yesterday on a bus.

sanbartoloian, I bought a Mavila Cavalry here in LIma, it's a 200cc dual sport and at $1700 it is more expensive than the competition but the price includes three free services, a two year warranty and plates. The Surquillo dealership is a friendly place with a great shop, http://www.mavila.com.pe/x/ I'm using it around town and as a minimalist tourer, I've had no mechanical issues, your welcome to ride it if you want, I live in Surco.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 am

i've dealt with the ineptitude of Peruvian Customs before just dealing with shipping a frickin monitor here, i can only imagine the confusion and rip-off fest that would be involved with shipping a vehicle.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register