Your Advice Please! Departing + CE w/ no annual fee paid

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
travelvice
Silver Member
Silver Member

Your Advice Please! Departing + CE w/ no annual fee paid

Postby travelvice » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:25 am

Howdy, I could use your experience and brain power on this one.

Married to a Peruvian (my wife), we've been idling in Lima since last May waiting for her US residency visas to process. After a long year of waiting and paper pushing we're finally ready to go.

We've got a flight on Sunday the 19th.

Here's the catch: last year I applied for my Peruvian residency. At the start of this year I didn't pay annual fee. Now it's about $20 for the fee + a $40 fine.

I'm going to be abandoning my Peruvian residency one way or another, but would like to know if it's advisable to A) go through the process with DIGEMIN to pay my fee+fine plus all the notarized crap and processing + fee of canceling my CE (as seen in the thread here -- http://expatperu.com/expatforums/viewto ... f=1&t=4625)... or B) to leave the country with my CE intact and the fee unpaid.

As I've never left Peru as a resident before I'm totally unfamiliar with the process.
* Will they deny me exit if I haven't paid my annual fee?
* I haven't worked. Do I need to present form 1495 at the airport? (http://orientacion.sunat.gob.pe/images/ ... rm1495.pdf)

Thoughts?

gringuano
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Your Advice Please! Departing + CE w/ no annual fee paid

Postby gringuano » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:55 am

I would just go to immigrations if you have the time. You don't want to have any pending issues in another country, especially one that you probably plan to visit again.
mulcahen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mulcahen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 pm

they can and probably will deny you exit if you have not paid the fee.And there is no way of paying at the airport, so you would lose your flight. Just go and get it sorted is really your only option
travelvice
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby travelvice » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm aware that Peruvians can't get certain government services (like a passport or driver's license issued) unless they pay any outstanding fees/fines (for not voting in elections, for example)... and would certainly not surprise me in the least that they could very well deny me exit at airport immigration for non-payment.

If I decide not to go through the hassle of canceling my CE formally, will I need to present anything at the airport at the time of departure? Tax forms, etc? (as noted above, married & have not worked)
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I had a similar situation and I was advised by Migraciones that I can not pay this fee, as married to Peruvian people are exempt. I had to pay something similar anyway and get a sticker on CE, by applying for an exemption. I know in Lima they allow people to pay this $20 tax, as it is simpler in terms of paperwork (exemption costs like 40 soles, don't remember exactly). But, if you didn't apply for exemption before the end of March, I'm sure you can do it now and there should be no fine.

As for leaving, I told them I'm not a resident anymore on the border, and they just changed my status in computer. No CE was ever required to leave, just passport. CE cancels authomatically once you are out of Peru for 6 months, so there is no need to actually go somewhere and "cancel" it.
travelvice
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby travelvice » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 am

Have found some additional renewal details here (http://www.expatperu.com/paying-the-ann ... eriaq.html), but I'm still searching for answers on what happens as I depart Peru for the first time with my CE (lets say for an example I'm up to date on all fees).
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 am

If you leave as a resident, youre supposed to fill TAM before passport control. They will keep the upper part of it, and give you the other one. You're supposed to keep it, and when coming back, giving it to passport control instead of filling new TAM. For "familiar de residente" migration status, nothing else is required. You will need to show them your CE as well.
travelvice
Silver Member
Silver Member

--- RESOLUTION ---

Postby travelvice » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:34 pm

UPDATE

Ugh, what an absurd morning hashing this out in person at DIGEMIN.

Note: Your fees have to be paid up and you need a current sticker on the back of your CE if you’d like to be certain you can pass through immigration at the airport/border without issue.

This turned out to be even more complicated than it should've been because my wife and I were wed in the US -- and the quick and easy process of obtaining the marriage cert that goes along with
1) paying your annual tax exemption processing fee yearly in Q1 and
2) the yearly renewal of your CE on its issuance anniversary
normally done at RENIC is not so simple or fast, as you've gotta pay yet again for your consult-issued marriage certificate to be stamped/certified by RREE (Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores).

After a lot of runaround I was eventually given the option to forego declaring my annual fee exemption via marriage and simply pay what others do, plus the late penalty. That’s US$20 for the annual fee + $20 for paying in Q2 instead of Q1.

If you’re in my position, where the cost of an official copy of your consult marriage cert + the S/. 24 to certify it at RREE (takes 1 business day requiring a return) + transportation is even remotely close to your outstanding annual fee (+ late penalty, if any) then just forking over the cash is a much better option. In this example, I broke even today w/o having to take a trip to RREE by giving DIGEMIN $40. Of course, you’ll still need a recent (<3 months) RREE-approved copy of your consulate marriage certificate when you renew your CE every year -- this is unavoidable, and likely can’t do a 2-for-1 exemption fee payment & CE renewal with the same marriage cert.

Note: There appears to be zero penalties for paying your exemption processing fee late. If you need to renew your CE in September and don’t bother paying this yearly paperwork fee until then, it’s the same price.

Now that I had my fees paid and sticker on the back of my CE I was free to decide what to do about my residency. My choices, as I knew that I was going to be dumping my Peruvian residency, were to either cancel the CE officially or to simply let it expire (for me, it’s in mid-July).

The wife and I were concerned by the information we were receiving from DIGEMIN’s 1st floor information desk. The very sweet and genuinely accommodating and helpful girl working there said that foreign residents get into trouble when they don’t cancel their CE officially. She claimed that your residency will indeed expire (as expected) as dated on the card, but the annual fee and fines for late payment will continue to be assessed against you in the system! These would be waiting for you upon your return to Peru.

I found this pretty hard to believe -- the system should know if you renewed your card the year prior or have been out of the country for more than 6 months, and remove you from the outstanding debts ledgers programmatically. So long as you left the country w/o fees to pay, I would think none should be there on your arrival.

My wife went and spoke with the folks on the 3rd floor, and happily reported back that our suspicions were correct and that the info desk chick was wrong -- one your residency lapses it’s canceled and you’re no longer on the hook.

Worst case scenario is that after returning to Peru in a few years and discovering some absurd amount of annual $20 fee + late penalties have accrued, one would only need to submit the tax exemption documents (remember, there’s no late penalty for this!!) and pay around S/. 20 for each year levied against you, and/or tell them to f*** off for the remainder.

So, I’ll happily be exiting the country on my CE with 1 month of validity left and just let it expire without another thought.

The end.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register