2011 Visa Info - what's the story?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Oniongravy

2011 Visa Info - what's the story?

Postby Oniongravy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just signed up to the site and hopefully can add some value as time passes..
Today I was browsing the net looking for reliable and accurate info regarding Peruvian visa's as most of the info I've found seems to be at least a year or two old.
The reason is, I've overstayed on my visa by 2 months, I thought it was valid for 180 days then checked yesterday and it's only for 90 yikes! so not to panic and am looking for the easiest way to renew.
I was told by the UK embassy to leave pay your $1 per day over then come back, not a problem. Also I've found that there's a $20 fine no matter how long??? is this true? seems a little relaxed as you could stay for a year or two..
If I leave, what's the best option - Chile/Ecuador/Brazil - Bus or Plane - I'm on a limited budget at the moment so nothing too fancy

If I leave do I have to stay away for 48 hours or similar?
I have a Peruvian wife and we've just had a baby in Lima(does this make any difference?)

Answers please??
Cheers
Gravy

Kelly

Re: 2011 Visa Info - what's the story?

Postby Kelly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

This article (click here) has information on what happens when you overstay your visa.

Basically, it is $1US per day.

Most people consider the border hop to Arica, Chile (click here)to be the easiest. (and cheap - take a bus from Lima to Tacna, collectivo taxi into Arica and back)

The maximum amount that you can get on your tourist visa is 183 days, but they generally don't give that unless you ask for it. There is no way to extend the visa once you're in the country - you have to leave and re-enter to get a new one.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Yeah just go to Arica. The other border crossings can be kind of sketchy. If you're coming from Lima hop on the overnight sleeper bus to Tacna, then do the same back. When I went I spent about 10 minutes on Chilean soil. I entered Chile, then walked to the other side of the building and exited. They asked me why I didn't go to Arica (Arica is 30 min or so from the border crossing) and why I just wanted the stamp and I just told the truth, then they started talking about how Chile is better than Peru and how I should have be living in Chile. Before you go to the border in Arica, go to la oficina de migraciones in Tacna, it's not far from the bus station take a cab. You need to go there to pay the fine first then they'll stamp your passport. I wouldn't recommend doing it in Lima because in Tacna it is so much much much easier and faster than migraciones in Brena, and in Lima they actually told me they don't do that anymore (don't know if it's true).
gringuano
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringuano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:44 pm

I would exit the country ASAP because when I went to my "interrogation" at the Policia de Extranjería they were trying to contact all tourists that have overstayed their visa's and try to tell them they are doing something illegal and see if they can get money from them. As "goingnowherefast" stated, Tacna/Arica is your best bet. If you go to Bolivia and you are from the U.S you have to pay $100, and the Ecuadorian station is anything but organized.
simonmac

Postby simonmac » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 am

Gravy,

With regards to your expired visa, you should go to the Oficina De Migraciones (about six blocks behind the Hotel Sheraton - ask a taxi driver) and get it sorted out, that's if you want to leave the country. I believe the fines you mention are accurate, a dollar per day for your expired visa plus the usual ad hoc bureaucracy nonsense.
However, you're married to a Peruvian citizen ? Well get yourself a Carnet De Extranjeria then you won't need a visa ever again. After a couple of years with your Carnet, they'll give you a DNI and then you're practically a Peruvian citizen. Warning: you'll have to sweat blood during the process of applying for this thing, it's a seemingly never ending list of certificates, interviews (one with Interpol), photos, visits to your embassy etc.
Either way, you should first get an extension to your visa so I think your first stop will be Migraciones.

Hope this helps,

simon
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

No, this information is incorrect. You can not get an extension on your tourist visa at Migraciones. The only option is to leave the country and return with a new visa. You can read about that here.

It is true that you can fairly easily get your Carnet de Extranjeria if you're married to a Peruvian, and you will need a current visa in order to do that.
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Contact this guy in Tacna, Juan Carlos 952384572.

He'll meet you at the airport/bus terminal and take you through the borders. He'll do all your paperwork too.

He's knows almost all the people behind the desks at immigrations both on the peruvian and chilean side and will get you back in with the max visa for a small propina (tip).

Last time i went, we even gave one of them a lift back to the city as his shift had just finished. The border is about 20 mins outside the city of Tacna.
molina7

Postby molina7 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Why would someone need to contact someone ahead of time? I was under the impression that there is a line of taxis by the airport that just wait to fill up with ppl crossing the border, and that they take care of everything for like 20 soles.
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm just saying that this guy knows almost every person on the immigration desks, so if someone needed 183 days, then he can do it for you, while other taxistas may only get you 90 days or whatever depending on the mood of the official behind the desk. It helps to have a buddy behind the desk. Whenever I went with this guy, i got the maximum.
molina7

Postby molina7 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

Gotcha.

Now that the train between Tacna and Arica is back up and running, does anyone have experience crossing the border this way? Would it be more difficult to get a 180 day stamp via train than via sketchy taxi crossing?
Oniongravy

Postby Oniongravy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Jennifer wrote:Contact this guy in Tacna, Juan Carlos 952384572.

He'll meet you at the airport/bus terminal and take you through the borders. He'll do all your paperwork too.

He's knows almost all the people behind the desks at immigrations both on the peruvian and chilean side and will get you back in with the max visa for a small propina (tip).

Last time i went, we even gave one of them a lift back to the city as his shift had just finished. The border is about 20 mins outside the city of Tacna.

Thanks will check it out ..
Oniongravy

Postby Oniongravy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the Updates and all the options I'll head on the Bus to Tacna ...very soon.. 8)
Next question:
Does anyone know where I can buy Indian (subcontinent) condiments and spices.. that are fresher than those outrageously priced measly offerings in the Lima markets Surquillo for instance..
I'm a food loving Brit and really missing me Rubies.. (that's rhyming slang for Curries.. as in Ruby Murray = Curry)
amcarroll

Postby amcarroll » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Useful info - when I came into Lima they didn't ask me how long I would be staying and looking at my visa stamp I really had no clue how long I was able to stay for.

Now just reading this thread with the information I can see that there is a scribbled 183 on my stamp so I guess I have the whole 183 days which is great to know.
Towarf

Postby Towarf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 am

Jennifer wrote:Contact this guy in Tacna, Juan Carlos 952384572.

Just wondering, does this guy speak any english? I am learning spanish slowly but I'm very very weak so I'm wondering if its worth calling ahead or just bump around in tacna til i can get it right (my first instanct) lol

Also

My girlfriend has a Aunt in Rio Branco Brazil and says she crosses into Peru and visits lima super cheap (we are in the process of verifying details). So I am considering flying close to the border there (not sure where yet but supposedly there is a way) then crossing by boat? (I think). Why is it no one does this? It seems like an interesting option but i never hear it mentioned...is there a reason for this? How many ways should I expect to suffer if i try this lol? Oh i should mention i am Canadian as I don't believe i have to pay for a visa in Brazil.....

OR

Tumbes crossing would be so much nicer this time of year to spend a day or two hanging out...why do people prefer Tacna so much over tumbes? Is it just because you'll have to go through an extra hour of pain due to disorganization?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

Towarf wrote:Oh i should mention i am Canadian as I don't believe i have to pay for a visa in Brazil.....

I think you do need to pay for a visa to enter Brazil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requi ... n_citizens
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm

are there additional problems if you overstay for crazy long times, let's say, like a year and a half?
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:09 pm

renodante wrote:are there additional problems if you overstay for crazy long times, let's say, like a year and a half?

Not at all. I recently went to Washington DC after overstaying for 611 days in Peru. I paid $610 fine and got a receipt for it.

(I tried to negotiate the fine but as I wanted to come back to Peru then they advised me to pay the full fine as they have register that in the computersystem that the fine is paid and give me a receipt. The immigration officer told me that if I don't want to come back to Peru then she will let me pass for $250 in cash but no receipt.)

I came back 5 days later and got a 183 days stamp without asking for it.

No hassle at all.

Peru has probably the best immigration in the world.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:02 pm

el conquistador wrote:
renodante wrote:are there additional problems if you overstay for crazy long times, let's say, like a year and a half?

Not at all. I recently went to Washington DC after overstaying for 611 days in Peru. I paid $610 fine and got a receipt for it.

(I tried to negotiate the fine but as I wanted to come back to Peru then they advised me to pay the full fine as they have register that in the computersystem that the fine is paid and give me a receipt. The immigration officer told me that if I don't want to come back to Peru then she will let me pass for $250 in cash but no receipt.)

No hassle at all.

great, thanks a lot for the info.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm

renodante wrote:
el conquistador wrote:

No hassle at all.

great, thanks a lot for the info.

Now, it also a good time to leave and pay your fine as the dollar rate is sinking quicker than the Titanic.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Now, it also a good time to leave and pay your fine as the dollar rate is sinking quicker than the Titanic.

hang in there 2.7 hang in there.
Dmitri

Postby Dmitri » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 am

Oniongravy wrote:I have a Peruvian wife and we've just had a baby in Lima(does this make any difference?)

Answers please??
Cheers
Gravy

Hello! I wanted to ask a general question, if you have the time. Where did you come from, when, and what made you decide to stay in Peru, marry and have a child? I am fascinated with such a possibility myself. I'm a translator in Kazakhstan, not really liking the corporate strain. Before New Year I will be going to Peru for a visit, look around for a month, try to see if there is a way for me to stay. If you have the time to talk, just to give me a general idea of what it is like, I would much appreciate it! I have skype operative11 so we could talk on the free phone, if that's an option for you. If not, peace! Thank you. Dmitri
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone is aware about new 2011/2012 changes for: Business Visas and Investor Visas?

Im still not clear exactly which type of Visa I should try to get, and the information seems to be somewhat different, or incomplete, depending on which post you read.

Investor Visa: $25,000 deposit requirement into a Peruvian Bank Account in the Name of the Newly Formed Business. Then, you must have a Business Plan approved, and detail information about how you will provide employment for no less than 5 people in your Business.

Bueinss Visa: (Not too much information about this)

Im only interested in opening up a small store or market and working and dying there myself with my family.
Thats it. Not some huge investment and defintely could not support the employment of 5 people.

Does anyone have any insights?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register