Need a Cell Phone

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Need a Cell Phone

Postby jcn7vc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

So I have arrived in Peru to work for a year. I was told that I would receive a cell phone on my arrival to work, but so far no one here can confirm that. Nonetheless, my boss told me I NEED one for work. I heard phones here are pretty expensive. Luckily, I am going back to the US next week for a couple weeks.

My idea: Get an unlocked phone from a certified US seller (Best Buy, NewEgg.com, etc.) and then buy a sim card from Movistar in Huaraz. That way I can use it when I get back to the US in a year. I'm thinking of a BlackBerry or HTC so I can get internet as well.

Questions: Can somone that only has a passport get such service from Movistar? Is it possible to do a prepaid sim card? How do payment plans work (i.e. can I pay online or do automatic paymets from a credit card)? Will I have much trouble if I don't speak much Spanish?

Yes, I did do some research in the previous posts about this, but didn't find much answers.

jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need a Cell Phone

Postby jcn7vc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am

And now my co-workers tell me I need an RPM so they can call me for less. Can I get an RPM on an unlocked phone?
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 pm

not sure about rpm, but I was able to get a prepago (prepaid) sim card when I first got here from movistar with just a passport.

Make sure the phone you buy is not a sprint phone, as those dont work on the network here.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:32 pm

A new anti drug law makes it a requirement to have a carnet or dni to get cell phone service in Peru, it is no longer available with just a passport.

You need to work with a Peruvian or with your company if they have a RUC in Peru or with someone with a Carnet to get a contract, pre-pay or post pay.
levinson

Postby levinson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Any update on this? Since this is an old (sorta) post I am wondering if this is still true.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:32 pm

The law is the same but like any law or rule.in peru it is who you ask that depends how it is enforced. Keep asking at various shops and someone will sell you one with only a passport for a prepaid.phone. you will have a much more diffixult time for post pay plans
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

I can't give you a definitive answer about the law, but I got a sim card about a year ago with only a passport, but as Americorp says, maybe it depends where you buy it. Those smaller booths are probably more keener on the sale than the small print of the law.
Estrella

Postby Estrella » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Fyi I got a prepaid sim card, home phone/internet/Tv from Movistsr 3 weeks ago using only my foreign drivers license. No passport or official id needed!
Estrella

Postby Estrella » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Also that was at Movistar in Jockey Plaza.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:56 am

americorps wrote:A new anti drug law makes it a requirement to have a carnet or dni to get cell phone service in Peru, it is no longer available with just a passport.

I bought a new cell phone in April at an official Claro shop and didn't have to show any document at all. Same for my TV connection with DIRECT TV.

Right, their was a sign hanging up in the shop saying that a DNI or CE was required to buy a phone but who cares in Peru?

Estrella wrote:Fyi I got a prepaid sim card, home phone/internet/Tv from Movistsr 3 weeks ago using only my foreign drivers license. No passport or official id needed!

Welcome to Peru. The real land of the free.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am

chi chi wrote:
americorps wrote:A new anti drug law makes it a requirement to have a carnet or dni to get cell phone service in Peru, it is no longer available with just a passport.

I bought a new cell phone in April at an official Claro shop and didn't have to show any document at all. Same for my TV connection with DIRECT TV.

Right, their was a sign hanging up in the shop saying that a DNI or CE was required to buy a phone but who cares in Peru?

Estrella wrote:Fyi I got a prepaid sim card, home phone/internet/Tv from Movistsr 3 weeks ago using only my foreign drivers license. No passport or official id needed!

Welcome to Peru. The real land of the free.

I do not believe you
levinson

Postby levinson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 pm

If you do not believe the previous posts (and I may be a bit skeptical, too), you could just go to a Movistar shop (maybe even the Jockey Plaza one) and try to buy a phone and see what happens. Then report back. I, for one, would appreciate the effort.

I would do it, but I'm not in Peru yet!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register