Good local gymnasiums??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good local gymnasiums??

Postby musiclover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi everyone! A quick question...any know of any good local gyms in Mira Flores, with reasonable rates? I have been a member at a couple that turned out to be more like "meat markets" and I'm just not interested in that kind of thing. I'd like to go to a clean, organized, friendly, well-equipped gym that is less than $100 a month!

OR, if someone knows of a good personal trainer?

Ideas or suggestions???

calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good local gymnasiums??

Postby calygirl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm

I recently joined the TWellness Center at the Thunderbird Hotel on corner of Benavides and Alcanfores. Love this gym. I was a member at Marriott's health club last year and I like TWellness better. The equipment is well maintained and not at all crowded (I go late morning). It's clean and I like the overall vibe of the club. Women's locker room has jacuzzi, sauna, steam, nice showers. I would recommend this club if you're looking for a centrally located gym in Miraflores.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm

musiclover wrote:Hi everyone! A quick question...any know of any good local gyms in Mira Flores, with reasonable rates? I have been a member at a couple that turned out to be more like "meat markets" and I'm just not interested in that kind of thing. I'd like to go to a clean, organized, friendly, well-equipped gym that is less than $100 a month!

OR, if someone knows of a good personal trainer?

Ideas or suggestions???

i have a gym in mind!! :wink: :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:45 pm

In Miraflores, you are always going to pay the gringo rate.

It's better to go to other districts.
When I lived in Lima, I went to a gym on Avenida Libertad in San Miguel and paid 50 soles a month and they have a swimming pool as well.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:19 pm

The closer you are (either from home or work) to your gym, the more successful one will be in consistency in actually using the gym membership. And isn't that what this is all about....exercise becoming a habit and not how little one can pay?
The rule of thumb is not to travel more than 10 minutes to reach your workout location. Miraflores to San Miquel in 10 minutes..don't think so. TWellness is two blocks from my apartment, two minute walk everyday.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 pm

[quote="calygirl"
The rule of thumb is not to travel more than 10 minutes to reach your workout location. Miraflores to San Miquel in 10 minutes..don't think so. TWellness is two blocks from my apartment, two minute walk everyday.[/quote]

But the OP is looking for a cheap gym and he lives in Miraflores. To avoid paying the gringo rate, he will have to escape from Miraflores.
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your comments and contributions!!

@ Calygirl-thanks SO much for this recommendation, will definitely check out TWellness...awesome!! I totally agree, the closer to home the BETTER!!!

@Chi Chi-the OP is a "she" and if SHE wanted to go to a gym in San Miguel, she would have asked for that advice. But I live in Mira Flores and realize that things are more expensive here, the "gringo" price, right...what I am wanting is options for gyms IN Mira Flores that are less expensive than Gold's Gym, for example, and ones that other expat members have either been members at and know something about, that are clean, well maintained, etc...

I'll check out the TWellness gym and hopefully that will work out well...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Some gyms are cheaper if you subscribe together with a friend or partner.

We went to a gym in Tarapoto and they charged 50 soles a month for one person or 75 soles a month per 'pareja'.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm

If you become a member of the Terraza tennis club, you can use all the facilities for your whole family, including the pool, gymnasium, tennis courts, squash, etc. etc. for only S/. 185 a month ( for the whole family, including spouse, children, mama, papa > 65.
For S/. 6 you can use the sauna
Also they have VERY good restaurants, with a menu of S/. 15 including pisco sour, entrada, segundo, postre and a drink. You can choose like 10 different plates each day.
There is also a basic menu of S/. 8.90

If you are bored in Miraflores, they have another one in the beach, in Chaclaclayo and in the near future also in Asia.
The only catch is the subscription fee, but that is only once in your life.. and if your children turn adults, they can get member for a highly reduced rate ( that is what we did .. )
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:54 am

There's a gym called La Hacienda which has excellent equipment and doesn't quite have the single social club atmosphere the Gold's Gym has, it's on Pardo a few blocks west of Ovalo Miraflores . However it's not cheap, but all decent gyms in Latin America are expensive.

Try to stay away from the cheaper gyms with poor quality Peruvian made equipment. I've had several cables snap on me while working out, one time the cable actually went into my leg. I've also seen people fly across the room after a cable snaps and bruise themselves up so it's really better to pay the price for a quality gym with quality equipment (you'll also find it's hard to work out on machines that are tailored for someone who's 5' 2" 100 lbs).
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 am

I have been working out at T.Wellness for over 2 years. Practically since it opened. Prior I had been working out at Gold's and I hated it due to its overcrowding even during off peak hours. I workout at T.Wellness around 11am-1pm depending on my work schedule and it's always nearly empty. It has plenty of cardio equipment, free weights and some decent flex/band based machines. They have a lot of bosu and yoga balls as well. There is a steam room and jacuzzi in the men's locker room and I can only assume the same goes for the female locker room. You receive 2 clean towels on each visit with a locker key. My last renewal cost me S/.1200 for 6 months. Prior to that it was S/.1400 so it has gone down. It's even less if are willing to sign up for a year. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous. I hesitate to recommend this gym here because I don't want more people to know about it!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Does anyone know where theres a decent heavy duty weights gym in Lima. I´m looking for a gym that has leverage plate loaded equipment mostly as most of the gyms ive seen here dont really have any really heavy weight stacks on the equipment, theres a tendency for machines only to have 75kg or 100kg stacks. I´ve been to Golds which isnt bad but i get the impression this place will be packed all the time! Generally it has to be a weights gym not a cardio gym.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Does anyone know where theres a decent heavy duty weights gym in Lima. I´m looking for a gym that has leverage plate loaded equipment mostly as most of the gyms ive seen here dont really have any really heavy weight stacks on the equipment, theres a tendency for machines only to have 75kg or 100kg stacks. I´ve been to Golds which isnt bad but i get the impression this place will be packed all the time! Generally it has to be a weights gym not a cardio gym.

if you find one please let me know. i'm shrinking, need a place with power racks, etc.

i'd love to find an old dusty mom and pop owned gym with nary a treadmill to be found, there has to be a few around.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 am

All the nice gyms like Gold's Gym and La Hacienda and T Wellness should have the same machines as you would find in the States. If the stacks on the machines aren't enough you have to put dumbbells on top the stacks or find a plate and hang it from the pin.

Besides, generally speaking, machines are for people who want to look pretty, free weights are for being strong :mrgreen:
thisisluca

Postby thisisluca » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

the stairway from balta to the beach ... good exercise.and free!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 am

yeah 90% of my exercises are free weights but do need the old heavy duty machines for certain exercises for mass. No cable machine crap, looking for the leverage machines where you can really stack some heavy ass weight onto it! checked out a few gyms and golds in miraflores is the best one id say but its still not great tho.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 am

thisisluca wrote:the stairway from balta to the beach ... good exercise.and free!

i've actually been doing the "Ghetto workout" thing lately. going to the malecon and using the chinup/dip/jungle gym bars, stairs, etc. i'm getting in good shape but I'm going into squat/deadlift withdrawal.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:yeah 90% of my exercises are free weights but do need the old heavy duty machines for certain exercises for mass. No cable machine crap, looking for the leverage machines where you can really stack some heavy ass weight onto it! checked out a few gyms and golds in miraflores is the best one id say but its still not great tho.

well if you're looking for Hammerstrength type stuff then yeah, unfortunately gold's or energym or whatever that place is called is probably your best bet.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 am

I have to say I'm shocked to learn how expensive gyms are in Peru. When I lived in Medellin Colombia last year there was an upscale gym in m neighborhood that was running a special. Something like sign up for 3 months and the cost was only $30 a month. Same thing when I lived in the philippines back in 2008. A really nice gym was only $30 a month, no long term commitment.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm

i refuse to join gyms that require contracts, total scam.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah i can´t believe how expesive gyms are here! i´m paying double to what i would be paying back home.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Is there a commercial gym wholesaler in lima any where i wouldnt mind just buying my own stuff for the apartment at somepoint. I did check in ripley once about free weights and that was very expensive as well, but i get the impression Ripleys isnt the greatest place for value for money! :shock:
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Try Polvos Azules for free weights. There was a guy on the main level just inside one of the doors on the west side selling equipment and weights by the kilo.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 pm

The Nike Gym in the bottom of Larcomar offered me a 5 month contract for $280, which wouldn't have been a bad deal if I lived in Lima or travelled there more often. My buddy pays $600 for the year I believe.

The place is stacked with nice equipment, free weights, personal trainers, etc. It is the nicest gym I have ever been in, or even seen pictures of. They have a small cafe and salon in there as well, and I think they offer massages. Definitely worth a look.
Last edited by jcn7vc on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm

There are many options different than Gold Gym in Lima.

Like this one for example :
http://crossfitperu.com/fotos/

or You´ll check the yellow pages
http://www.paginasclaro.com.pe/Resultad ... 7QodDAi3hg

And for Gym wholesalers You´ll check these pages
http://deportes.mercadolibre.com.pe/aer ... sas-discos
http://www.olx.com.pe/q/pesas/c-234
http://www.paginasclaro.com.pe/Resultad ... 7QodNUV3eg
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Cheers for the sites and the help with the gym search will check out the sites for these.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 pm

think ive found a gym, whats la perla district by san miguel like is it a safe enought place?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:03 pm

La Perla is in Callao, north of Lima, on the far side of San Miguel. If you're centrally located (Miraflores, San Borja, Surco, San Isidro), you're looking at around an hour or so traffic each way, passing through some pretty shady areas.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Unfortunately La Perla isn't a safe place of Lima.
It's located west of Lima in front of the pacific ocean it Looks like a quiet place in the morning but there are gangs in many of the barrios ( neighborhoods ). It's sad because this is a traditional neighborhood of Callao in the border of San Miguel. You'll find rappers and skaters young people playing soccer and other sports over there but it's like Compton and southcentral in Los Angeles or Pompano in Florida hommies run the hood.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:43 am

yeah the place is in san miguel just off la marina just past parque de las naciones but before auxiliar la marina. Didnt think it would be the safest of areas to be honest, been told about it when going to the airport. Oh well lol
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Kelly wrote:Try Polvos Azules for free weights. There was a guy on the main level just inside one of the doors on the west side selling equipment and weights by the kilo.

awesome. thanks so much, had no idea they had them there.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:13 pm

There are many options different than Gold Gym in Lima.

Like this one for example :
http://crossfitperu.com/fotos/

you sir, just made my day.

i can start doing Olympic Lifting again now, YESSSSSSSSSS
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone, interesting ideas and suggestions!! In the end, I decided to go to a place called, "Personal Training", on Ave. Reducto, they offer a program that is five days a week, very demanding but it's been excellent and works out to about $100 a month. It will give me a jump start on my weight loss then I can decide to continue there or go somewhere else on my own but I've never been that great with follow through on my own...LOL...

K, keep the info coming, always interesting to hear where others go!
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm

If the gym is situated close to avenida La marina that one is a safe neighborhood of La Perla close to that place is located a navy base. The tough spots of La Perla are located close to Avenida del Ejercito, and avenida Santa Rosa.
pwr144
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pwr144 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I am in Surco, off Jorge Chavez near the Makro mercado. Very close to Barranco.

Any real gyms near here that anyone can recommend? I see them all over the place except in this part of this district!

Thanks.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 pm

the Link is for Gyms in Surco but mostly located on caminos del Inca, chacarilla.
http://www.surcoperu.com/guia-peru/salu ... -surco.php

Close to your house is located an Air Force base " Las Palmas ", they have gym , swimming pool, tennis court ( parket ), squash court, basketball court, sauna and a stadium to practice soccer and athletisme if you have friends of the air force maybe they would invite you to use their facilities.

What I remember on avenida Balta there is a stadium, You'll find people practicing athletism, the sport league of Barranco use to do it weekends. I'm sure they allow to use the facilities for free. Years ago I used to ran one hour over there.
Salamander

Postby Salamander » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Does anyone know of any affordable gym in Barranco?
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good local gymnasiums?? - Update

Postby calygirl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Disappointed in T-Wellness in Miraflores, which I just joined again for 3 months. Although I got a better price from last year ($80/mo), the extra services offered are not available. Last year the steam room was working off and on, this year so far it's never working. Sauna has never worked, it's used as a storage room. Jacuzzi is lukewarm water with jets, don't understand the point of that at all.
Machines are good, weight room is good, if that's your main reason for joining. However, if you going for some of the "extras" you'll be disappointed. Wish I had paid alittle more and joined Marriott. Everything is in good working condition there and the membership also includes use of the outdoor pool.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register