E-readers

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Supèrcat

E-readers

Postby Supèrcat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 am

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle to finally get access to books. Does anyone have any experience of how well or not they work here? Any comments or recommendations?

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: E-readers

Postby Polaron » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am

Supèrcat wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Kindle to finally get access to books. Does anyone have any experience of how well or not they work here? Any comments or recommendations?

I have a Kindle. I just got it at the beginning of this month. I ordered the 3G version with free Wi Fi (it costs more than the other one, around $180 I think).

Connection is a snap; no problems or failures so far. Get the leather carrying case as well; it is handy and very nice.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 pm

I bought my Kindle to Peru during my stay earlier this year. I loved having it, quick downloads and very easy to carry around in my bag or large pockets. I also got the 3G with Wi-Fi. Only small issue, it was purchased in the US, so the charger ran on 120 V. We had a 120/220 converter in our apartment for using on some other smaller appliances, so just plugged it in and got a complete charge within 30-40 minutes.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 pm

We've had a lot of threads from the Kindle users on the site. Search them. My charger was 110/220 even when purchased in the US. Love it and it works great here.

Martita
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 pm

I also have a Kindle 3 ( from the USA ) which works with either 120V or 220V. You are not limited to Amazon, as you can put any .mobi e-book on it. With Calibre software you can convert any format to the .mobi format and upload it with the USB cable of the charger from your PC to your Kindle..
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 pm

You can also plug the Kindle into a computer with a steady power source and charge it that way.
Supèrcat

Postby Supèrcat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks a lot for all your input.
As no-one has reported problems using theirs in Peru, I will get one.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Supèrcat wrote:Thanks a lot for all your input.
As no-one has reported problems using theirs in Peru, I will get one.

Mine has been a life saver multiple times, as I have Google Voice, so I can text the US and email when connected with 3G for free. One thing though, when downloading books via 3G, they cost $2 more than whatever listed price. Newspapers are like $5 more a month, and there is an upcharge for transfering pdf's as well. If you use WiFi to get the books, there isn't an upcharge however. And there are plenty of places to get free WiFi.

I got mine at Christmas from the US, and it came with a 100-240V 50-60 Hz compatible adapter.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Right, I read about that myself. There are many places where you can get e-books for a low price, however. Quite a few of them are free. Check out the amazon site for example.
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:30 pm

My Kindle has 300+ books and counting and is one of the best purchases I have made. I use it both in US and Peru and the two dictionaries are invaluable in both countries. I bought my wife a newer one this year and she feels the same.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Btw, the information about additional charges is outdates. In fact, it does NOT cost extra to download books over the 3g while in Peru. The list price is the actualy price, though you can register to a US address or an international address. If you want to recieve magazines or newspapers over 3g, it is $5 a month or you can just download using the wifi and it is free.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register