Where to buy.... in Lima *UPDATED*

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Where to buy.... in Lima *UPDATED*

Postby Cenzo6945 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 pm

So I'm coming back to Lima from NYC after 6 months away, and I need to find some more of my favorite items that i get too used to when I'm in NYC. For now I'll just ask about 1. Basmati Rice, and 2. Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche? I really can't live without Greek yougart either, but for that it's just easier to find plain yougurt and strain it. HA but where to get the plain youguet that isn't the DRINKABLE kind!! My wife can't believe we eat yougurt with a spoon in NYC! hahah I am in SMP so am accesable to everywhere... Metro, Megaplaza, Miraflores.. anywhere reasonable , if you can help! Love you guys! and I can't wait to get back to Lima on Wednesday. I survived the Hurricane! People in Lima think a light drizzle or mist is a rainstorm! BUT in that regard, NYC people won't stop talking about the little tremblor they felt for 10 seconds, last week! "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE TREMOR HIT!" JAJAJA. OMG we live with that once a week in Peru! See Ya!!

Hey just a quick edit, if anyone hadn't seen.. I am looking now for Chipotle Peppers in adobo. It's a canned Item. Smokey Beautiful Jalapenos, in a rich adobo sauce.. MMM k ricoooo!
OHH Ok... also..
I buy fish and mariscos rarely, but i want to badly. Why?...1. I'm not too sure of the translation of the names of the fish. I only know a few, and tilapia is great for my ceviche., 2. I buy at Metro and Wong, and not on market stalls (NOT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD) 3. I only 1 time went to that huge fish market. That was great but very far and they spot the blue eyed Italian, (thats me) from a mile away!
I see that Calamari is very seasonal here. Every xmas, my family in NYC has loads of calamari and I have gotten so used to being disapointed here during xmas. NO Calamar! I need to but now and freeze it! THANKS!! I NEED CHIPOTLES!!!! ciao!
Last edited by Cenzo6945 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to buy.... in Lima

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:59 pm

haven't looked for basmati, i *think* i've seen sour cream around, but it's pretty rare. greek yogurt is everywhere nowadays, i've even bought it at repsol.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I've been finding sour cream pretty regularly in Plaza Vea and in Wong. Check it carefully though - twice I've got it home and found mold growing around the top when I opened it. If I'd checked, I would have seen it in the store, around the outer edge.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cenzo6945 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:38 pm

OMG Kelly, that is excatly what I would have feared! I have bought a few imported items from Metro and it was stale and old. Thanks for the heads up! I wish i could also find quality cold cuts as well. I was told in Miraflores ther is a French Deli, that I have yet to visit. I don't know if I could find Basmati in Calle Capon but I thought of there as well. I won't even think of asking for smoked salmon and bagels! Well at least the have the Philadelphia Cream Cheese in Lima! haha I will not patron Metro anymore either. They really have no selection. Wong and Plaza Vea, Tottus are better, for newer type items,no? Thanks everyone!!!!
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:31 pm

You might find what you are looking for in Makro.

I go all the times to Makro. They have almost everthing. Even the fruit, vegetables and meat is very fresh.
Priced are the lowest you can find.

The minus is that you have to buy often large quantities.
But my gf her mother recently opened a tienda so I buy stuff for her too and take what I need from it.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cenzo6945 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh thanks! I do like that store! I bought 5 panatones there last xmas, pretty cheap and pretty good. BTW, how do they call Sour Cream in Peru? Hmmm Crema Acido? hahah I really don't know!! Thanks Guys!
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Cenzo6945 wrote:Oh thanks! I do like that store! I bought 5 panatones there last xmas, pretty cheap and pretty good. BTW, how do they call Sour Cream in Peru? Hmmm Crema Acido? hahah I really don't know!! Thanks Guys!

The containers I have seen all say "sour cream" on them. In Mexico it is called crema ácida but I do not think Peruvians use that term.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Oliver S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Oliver S » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm

In the Bioferia in Miraflores (Parque Reducto) you get the best yogurt, also Quark and many other milk products.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Oliver S wrote:In the Bioferia in Miraflores (Parque Reducto) you get the best yogurt, also Quark and many other milk products.

Excellent! When I'm in Peru I really miss quark.

Vivanda has good greek yogurt but it's quite expensive.

As for good bread... has anyone tried the bakery El Pan de la Chola in Miraflores? Living in Peru had a video about the baker last month. He's a Peruvian who learned to bake in the UK and Germany. It looks like the real deal, crusty whole grain breads not the dyed fake pan integral you usually get in Peru.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 pm

jude wrote:
Oliver S wrote:In the Bioferia in Miraflores (Parque Reducto) you get the best yogurt, also Quark and many other milk products.

Excellent! When I'm in Peru I really miss quark.

Vivanda has good greek yogurt but it's quite expensive.

As for good bread... has anyone tried the bakery El Pan de la Chola in Miraflores? Living in Peru had a video about the baker last month. He's a Peruvian who learned to bake in the UK and Germany. It looks like the real deal, crusty whole grain breads not the dyed fake pan integral you usually get in Peru.

Hi
Can you please post the location to the bakery.
Thank you
Bobby :D
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Please forgive me, but what is quark? I know it as a type of cheese, a software program, a particle that plays a role in the creation of protons, neutrons and other hadrons, and a bar owner on the fictional star base Deep Space Nine. I suspect the quark being mentioned here is none of those things.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:28 pm

In this context we're talking about the cheese, at least I am. It's a fresh cheese, similar to fromage blanc. I much prefer it to cream cheese as it has a less gummy texture. It's good spread on toast and makes an excellent cheesecake.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cenzo6945 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

MMM I got to get me some quark!! OK another item to ponder... Anywhere to buy Chipotles in adobo? It's a canned Item. I'm still looking for Basmati.. any other suggestions?
kristidnyc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kristidnyc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:39 pm

I also have a problem with finding yogurt (the bioferia is a great tip!), but my mother in law said you can buy a yogurt maker in the US, with which it's really easy to make delicious yogurt, even the Greek type, at home. If you haven't left yet, here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Chef-Yo ... er/5893631 or just google "yogurt maker".

I've also seen sour cream in Metro, but haven't bought it.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to buy.... in Lima *UPDATED*

Postby FHCZ » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Cenzo6945 wrote:MMM I got to get me some quark!! OK another item to ponder... Anywhere to buy Chipotles in adobo? It's a canned Item. I'm still looking for Basmati.. any other suggestions?

I found Basmati in La Molina Vivanda, you can check out other Vivandas.

Fausto
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 pm

kristidnyc wrote:I also have a problem with finding yogurt (the bioferia is a great tip!), but my mother in law said you can buy a yogurt maker in the US, with which it's really easy to make delicious yogurt, even the Greek type, at home. If you haven't left yet, here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Chef-Yo ... er/5893631 or just google "yogurt maker".

I've also seen sour cream in Metro, but haven't bought it.

Actually I just bought one last week in Jockey Plaza in a kitchen shop. It costed S/. 130
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Did they have yogurt starter, too? Or are you just going to use yogurt that you bought?

As far as fish (from the edited first post), I made a list of some of the more popular fish in Peru here. One that's not on my list is toyo or tollo (I've seen it both ways)which I'm pretty sure is a type of shark! I used it for a Parmesan fish the other day and it was perfect.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 pm

That's a great list, Kelly! I've found that fish names often differ from country to country. For example, red snapper in Spain is pargo rojo, while in Mexico it's called huachinango. Any idea what Peruvians call it (or if they even have it)?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register