mid20's expats!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

mid20's expats!

Postby sarita » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:48 pm

hey guys,

when i first moved here I had started a post about young expats in lima but it never went anywhere. that was about a yr and a half ago. so here's my second attempt... where are all the mid20s expats at? ive been here for about 2 years and 5 months. im 24 and i work in an ong for kids with autism and work with all peruvians. i absolutely ADORE my friends (all peruvian) but sometimes i just miss chatting in my own language! i think its about time to meet some expats!!! so who up for a young expat coffee night?

sarah

renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: mid20's expats!

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 am

30's are the new 20's, i'm living proof.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm in my mid 30s, look like 26, behave like a teen and as grumpy as an old man..I have all the bases covered :P
Lynn

Postby Lynn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Sarah, I am 25 and currently have only Peruvian friends..which is great, but sometimes I would really like to hang out with someone who speaks my native language, knows my culture, and can comment on some of the peculiarities here! I am definitely up for meeting if you or anyone else is, too!

Lynn
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Omikron wrote:I'm in my mid 30s, look like 26, behave like a teen and as grumpy as an old man..I have all the bases covered :P

I am in my mid 30s, look like in my mid 60's but feel like in my mid teens.
jbgrams

Postby jbgrams » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Sounds like a great idea - I would love to get to know some more expats here in Peru. It would be great to hear about other people's experiences here in Peru and have a few laughs. Please post details about a meet up. A meeting in the evening would be great as I work until 630 and can not usually make it the expat events. I'm 25 by the way, but it would be wonderful to meet all those who "Feel or act" like they are in their 20s as well ;).
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 am

I am 29, behave like I am 19, and have hobbies of a 9 year old... Yeah I like hanging out in toy stores :shock:

If anyone wants to organize a meet up, I suggest doing it as a sports event or something, because otherwise everybody would be standing around, awkwardly staring at each other, until someone breaks the ice with a really bad joke and everyone forces him/herself to laugh...
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:18 am

If anyone wants to organize a meet up, I suggest doing it as a sports event or something

Paintball!
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:56 am

renodante wrote:
If anyone wants to organize a meet up, I suggest doing it as a sports event or something

Paintball!

I have to say that sounds like a fabulous idea. Paintball, then some good beer at a cerbiche in Barranco should be the best way to go. That way we can have fun and relax.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:10 am

i think it's a great idea, i'm 27 and I work full time so i can never make it to the events either!!! Although count me out on paintball...ouch!!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 am

count me out on paintball...ouch!!

yeah i figured, it was a (half) joke. didn't expect enthusiasm haha.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 am

I am 46 and If I join the group probably I will consider myself as the eldest brother. So I would play that roll and probably would be saying what is and is not correct to do, until the point you don't put up with my comments and presence and finally you kick me out of the group.. :)
Last edited by windsportinperu on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kellyono

Postby kellyono » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:04 pm

We are going out tonight if anyone wants to join~~ 10:00pm ish. My boyfriend and I are in our early 30's, own a business here, but we are really immature. We hope to be meeting up with at least 5 other people from the states.

We are meeting at Tuna bar in Barranco for all you can eat sushi rolls for 39. soles. They also have my favorite pisco drink, the Chilcano!! We have been making this a weekly event so if you can't make it tonight I'm sure we will be there next Thursday too.

Hope to see some of you there tonight as I am ready to expand my circle of friends after having lived here for over a year!! PM me if you want.

Av 28 de julio 206 b - Barranco (espalda biblioteca municipal). They are on Facebook too.
Kelly Wilkinson
www.PeruRoadTrip.com
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I know I'm getting old when 10:00 pm sounds late for a weeknight. Especially since I don't have a job or children... Oh and wait, I'm only 32, what is wrong with me??!!!
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 pm

meggyrosey wrote:i think it's a great idea, i'm 27 and I work full time so i can never make it to the events either!!! Although count me out on paintball...ouch!!

I can certify this...I've been to many events organized by ACAP and I recall Meg posting "ok..this time I'll make it" :P. After 2 years I still do not know who Meg is :twisted:
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm in my late 20''s and spend three weeks in Peru every 45 days for work. Usually have a table and bottles at Gotica in Larcomar booked every thursday and friday night. Next time I am in town I will let you guys know. Happy to have you all join in for drinks on me... Pre drinks are usually at the Westin Hotel bar.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Wow sounds awesome!
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Jalapenomel wrote:I know I'm getting old when 10:00 pm sounds late for a weeknight. Especially since I don't have a job or children... Oh and wait, I'm only 32, what is wrong with me??!!!

Let's see, I am 29, no children, no girlfriend, and I feel that 10:00pm sounds a bit late. I am officially the worst...

But then again, who am I kidding? :P I can't do it because right now I am lying on a beach in Punta Cana... but I will be back in Lima next week. Looking forward to go out!
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Omikron wrote:
meggyrosey wrote:i think it's a great idea, i'm 27 and I work full time so i can never make it to the events either!!! Although count me out on paintball...ouch!!

I can certify this...I've been to many events organized by ACAP and I recall Meg posting "ok..this time I'll make it" :P. After 2 years I still do not know who Meg is :twisted:

:shock: :shock: :shock: That's epic...
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sarita » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 pm

yay!! i finally found some non peruvian my age! i work in surco until 630 mon-thurs and live in la molina so it would have to be later at night for me as well. Right now unfortunately im pretty sick with asmatic bronchitis... and we all know the weather here does not help at all :(

what kind of meet up would you all be interested in? if paintball is a serious option i know the family that owns paintball peru located in la molina ( http://www.perupaintball.com.pe/) and they could def help us out organizing something.

im pretty easy going so im up for whatever and def open for ideas! lets try to plan something for the mid-end of sept! :)
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hoyce » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 pm

if im 35 and play xbox all day am i still young :roll:
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 am

It's hilarious that at least half the guys posting in this thread are at least a decade outside of their mid twenties.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:03 am

Haven't you heard? 30 is the new 20. :roll:
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 am

Omikron wrote:

yes i'm guilty!!! I work M-F 9-8ish in Surco which makes it so much harder to make it to the get togethers in Miraflores/Barranco at 6:30 :(

hopefully we can all figure something out! I would love to meet some people my age that I can speak with in English!! haha
Tyanita

Postby Tyanita » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am

Count me also in for the next event :)
Am 26 and work out in the port of Callao, but live in Miraflores (though not home before 7pm) and am usually out with some colleagues on Wednesdays for Dinner + Drinks + Salsa dancing (no, I cannot dance..) and on the weekends we are usually going somewhere in Barranco or Larcomar (e.g.Gotica).. Would love to meet some more young people to hang out with!
Lynn

Postby Lynn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

I really enjoy the wide variety of replies this thread has elicited :) I have never played paintball but have always wanted to try, so I would honestly be up for something like that. If not, then I also think just going to a restaurant or bar would be fun too. If at all possible, can we try to plan it on a night other than Tuesday or Wednesday, b/c I have class until 9:30 those nights...
Tyanita

Postby Tyanita » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Seems like there was a lot of enthusiasm last week and then the thread kind of died again..
How about meeting up this Thursday at a restaurant or bar?
I cannot make it before 9pm though. :(
Have not been here that long so any suggestion on places are more than welcome!
chiguy

Postby chiguy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:51 pm

I would like to meet up sometime. I live in miraflores, and just arrived from CHicago last week. feel free to email m at [email protected] if your interested
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I do not want to ruin the ideas, but my colleagues at work have tried a paintball match before. It was expensive and they only received 20 paintballs so if you are too trigger happy, the fun will be over soon.
Here is the cost according to their homepage:

S/.45 soles, all gear included for three 10 minutes matches. 20 paintballs per match for a total of 60.

BTW I live in Miraflores, near Vivanda on Avenida Pardo. I do not drink but I could have an Icecream or a soda :P

Oh and Tyanita, you came from Germany to work at Callao ports?..hrm..not a nice place but I go there often. Are you into shipping / container handling?
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm single, 26, live in Huaraz, but I'll be in Lima next week for The Concert on Wed and staying until Sun afternoon. Let me know if you are getting together again next week, I'll be down!
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
molina7

Postby molina7 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, since everyone is keen to meet, how about Sunday afternoon at the Corner Bar? First NFL weekend, so you can watch if you're into American football, or socialize/drink if not...
Lynn

Postby Lynn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am

I can't do this week but what about next Thursday or Friday?

I live very close to Pardo in Miraflores...what about Parque Kennedy or somewhere around that area? Is that convenient for people? I am open to other options too.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:17 pm

molina7 wrote:Well, since everyone is keen to meet, how about Sunday afternoon at the Corner Bar? First NFL weekend, so you can watch if you're into American football, or socialize/drink if not...

Last time we went to the Corner Bar for a sporting event, we had to make a reservation. If we hadn't, we would not have been able to go in. Just something to think about. Houlihan's on Berlin (by Parque Kennedy) has DirectTV now, so they may have the games as well.

Go Colts!
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Lynn wrote:I can't do this week but what about next Thursday or Friday?

I live very close to Pardo in Miraflores...what about Parque Kennedy or somewhere around that area? Is that convenient for people? I am open to other options too.

I'll be in Miraflores next Thur and Fri, staying in Hotel Ibis near Larcomar. Just let me know where and when...
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 pm

For those that are interested, this group seems to mostly be people in their 20s and 30s though all ages are welcome. I´ve done one thing with them and had fun.

http://www.meetup.com/limasocialclub/
jfabian1363

Postby jfabian1363 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:10 am

im more of an early 20's expat. 21 been living here for 7 months in this big city all on my own but have made lovely friends along the way. going to culinary school here for a year. would love to meet up with you guys!

Johanna
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 pm

So is anything going on tonight or tomorrow?
-Joe

deorg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby deorg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 pm

What a cool gang...
Im 25, I once hang out with a group of expats in ica, wich went there by a group called apu I think...
Im half american, half peruvian, Ive lived in FL. and in Lima, and I would totaly love to hang out.
One of my many friends works in Gotica Club (in larcomar) and if you RSPV to me I could add you to the list, you would not have to pay anything (to get in), and its lots of fun...

Another thing... WHO IS GOING to creamfields... (the expats from Uk, may know what im talking about)
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey Everyone!

Tomorrow night there is going to be a big party @ Costa Verde....here's the Facebook link and details below!

"Waiting for the sun" 1era Fiesta LifeStyle Perú en Lima!

Este viernes 23 de setiembre LifeStyle Perú te invita a festejar la llegada de la primavera en un tonazo con la mejor música, buena vibra y cerca al mar... en el Grill de la Costa Verde.

Será una noche llena de sorpresas y contaremos con la participación en la pasarela de Vanessa Tello, Jessica Barrantes, Jahmila Dahabre y otras lindas chicas para calentar la noche con un súper desfile de lencería de la nueva marca de Vanessa Tello "SER".

Te esperamos a ti y a tus amigos para festejar la primavera al estilo de LifeStyle Perú. Tendremos los mejores sets y la pachanga a cargo de Dj Luigi.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193248090745949

Should be a lot of fun! Hope to see some of you there :)
mgoody87
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mgoody87 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey,

Anything going on this week? I just moved to Barranco and would love to meet up.

-Mike
Isabelle11

Postby Isabelle11 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi group!!! I'm in my late 20's and would love to meet up with some expats around my age! I just moved to Lima a week and a half ago so I'm not that familiar with the city yet but I already moved into an apartment in Miraflores on Jose Pardo. Are you guys organizing any get togethers for this weekend? Send me a message, I would love to join!
alexlinian

Postby alexlinian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 am

24 ys old... If anyone's looking to play tennis I've been playing on and off for a few years now. I'm just ok and I'm short (5'6) but I really enjoy playing and pretending I'm Roger Federer.

I play at Club Terrazas on Miraflores, next week I'm participating in a tournament there which should be a nice getting-my-butt-kicked experience.
Aideon7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Aideon7 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 am

Hello

I am 24 and would LOVE to see some other Americans or even Europeans. As mentioned Peruvians are cool people but they are not the only people worth knowing. Unfortunately I don't live ANYWHERE near Lima, I live near Tumbes. I live and work at a hotel up here, check out the website its at pessasunandsea.com anyway if there is anybody living in the area it would be nice to meet up and if not maybe some of you guys can come see me. We have beautiful beaches with warm water, something hard to come by in Peru, and it only cost s/. 100 or so to get here by bus from Lima, course it is a 20hr bus ride so that sucks, but there is also the plane to Tumbes Airport if you want to spend a little more.

Anyway would love to here if there is anybody in the region.

Kevin A Trissell
Becs_11

Postby Becs_11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Anyone a Longhorn (or a Longhorn fan)?!

With the OU game on Saturday, I'm looking for a good place for game-watching and beer-drinking. I haven't watched any college football since arriving in Lima 2 weeks ago, so not sure exactly where to start, other than possibly The Corner. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining and we can figure out a place...

It's 2:36pm and OU still sucks! Hook 'em!

p.s. 26-year old expat from TX & Chicago; will be in Lima for 1 year and a few months
Lui

Postby Lui » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Im 28 from CA, ive made a lot of great peruvian friends attending graduate school down here in Lima, but it would be nice to also meet some people my age from the states. Whether is just getting together to watch some nfl,nba or hanging out specially now that the weather is getting better.

Hit me up if anyone is interested

[email protected]
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sarita » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 pm

I started this thread and then completely forgot to check back. Seems like everyone wants me meet but we cant figure out where or when. I'm studying for the GRE right now so im kinda busy but after Oct 12th Ill be free to meet up. I'm game for anything so let me know if anyone would like to meet up :)
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby GianO » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 am

I'm 26, from NY. I wouldn't mind seeing where this thread goes in the future 8)
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Going down tonight for a few days. PM me if you want, I will give you my contact info and we can do some bowling or get some drinks or something.
-Joe

Randall

Postby Randall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey Sarita,

Sounds great - agreed 100%. Let us know a when and where?

Randall
zerosktz

Postby zerosktz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 pm

this sounds like fun. i'm 25 myself and originally from Miami.

let me know if you guys get together for something, i'm down!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register