How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
el conquistador

How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Often have to fly from Lima airport. When I arrive in Lima, I take a taxi outside the perimeter. I never had any problems. When I arrive at the airport their are always taxistas trying to get you in their so called taxi seguros. The charge extortionate prices. But are they really safer??? Anyone can go with his (nice) car to the airport and offer taxi service.

But when it comes to getting a taxi TO the airport, it's another story. Many taxistas don't want to bring you to the airport because they need some kind of permit to enter the airport perimeter and the ones who do have the paperwork charge a lot of money.

Still, you can go to the airport cheaper. Just talk any taxi and ask the driver to drop you off OUTSIDE the perimeter road in front of the gate. Don't worry about security, there are always security guards or police officers in front of the entrance gate.

Some taxi drivers are smart. Recently, my gf and I took a taxi from Villa El Salvador to the airport. Just before he arrived at the airport, he removed his taxi sign from his roof and window. He told my gf that if the police who checks the car entering the airport asked her something then she has to say that the driver was her brother bringing her and her boyfriend to the airport. So, the cop wouldn't think it's a taxi.


el conquistador

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:29 pm

And generally, the cheapest taxi's in Lima are the old yellow Ticos driven by old men.
And they are probably the last ones who are going to rob you.
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby sarita » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 am

i always go to the airport by calling a safe taxi ahead of time. ive even called 2 hours before i needed it with no problems. not only are they safe taxis with all the proper documentation.. they dont charge too much. from miraflores to the airport i pay between 30-40 soles which isnt too bad. of course you can get cheaper on the street but i always go for the safest option.. id rather pay 10-15 soles more than get robbed.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby jude » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:32 am

I'm with Sarita on this. I used to take street taxis to the airport, then decided it just wasn't worth the risk. It's far better to call ahead and pay 20 soles more to know that I'm going to be safe.
el conquistador

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't understand how a taxi inside the airport can be safer than a taxi outside the airport.

Once I arrived at Lima airport and walk into the arrivals hall, there's a bunch of people offering taxi service.
Anyone can enter the airport with his private car, park it in the parking lot in front of the terminal and start offering taxi service to people arriving.

When you walk towards the exit of the airport over the parking lot in order to get a taxi or bus outside the airport, you also always get approached by those so called 'safe' taxi drivers. OK, they are better dressed and have newer cars but are they really safe???

I think the only 'really' safe taxi companies are the ones that have a desk at the airport where you can book a taxi.

Still, we always use the bus and only take a taxi after buying to much stuff to carry at MAKRO or late at night when there are no more busses. But we only use TICOS driven by old men. They are generally the cheapest and most honest ones.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby renodante » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:26 pm

i think my record taxi fare to the airport was 25 soles from miraflores. and yeah, i always walk past the thieves i mean taxistas waiting to pounce on you when you come out of the airport doors. 50 soles haha (expletives deleted)
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 pm
Location: Lima

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby musiclover » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 pm

el conquistador wrote:I don't understand how a taxi inside the airport can be safer than a taxi outside the airport.

Once I arrived at Lima airport and walk into the arrivals hall, there's a bunch of people offering taxi service.
Anyone can enter the airport with his private car, park it in the parking lot in front of the terminal and start offering taxi service to people arriving.

When you walk towards the exit of the airport over the parking lot in order to get a taxi or bus outside the airport, you also always get approached by those so called 'safe' taxi drivers. OK, they are better dressed and have newer cars but are they really safe???

I think the only 'really' safe taxi companies are the ones that have a desk at the airport where you can book a taxi.

Still, we always use the bus and only take a taxi after buying to much stuff to carry at MAKRO or late at night when there are no more busses. But we only use TICOS driven by old men. They are generally the cheapest and most honest ones.


Um.....you're NOT serious are you? With all of your luggage and belongings you're going to trust some random taxi on the street to take you to the airport or give you a ride from the airport to your home?!! Does this not make sense to anyone else?

Did anyone hear recently of an Australian tourist who took a taxi from the airport (outside the gates) and was raped and robed and left for dead? I'll look up the article. This should really make us all more cautious and savvy, it's about personal safety not just paying less. I agree with others who would rather pay 30-40 soles and go with a taxi driver who is registered, can show me his permit, and can be tracked down if something happens to me while in his taxi! (btw, these are the taxis that are IN the airport bothering us as we try to exit with all our baggage!). I've used them and recommended them to all of my friends who have arrived when I've not been able to meet them myself, and we've never had any problems in three years.

Just my two cents worth....in this country it is better to be smart and safe rather than save a few soles...
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby edgeclinger » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 am

And by the way Kelly's husband Arturo is a taxi driver. He drives safely, has a really comfortable car and speaks English. We've used him a few times to pick up friends at the airport and he has picked us up at our apartment and waited in the terminal with us until they arrived. I definitely recommend him. I don't know what he charges these days but you could check with Kelly here on the forum.
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby Peace2009 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 am

musiclover wrote:
el conquistador wrote:I don't understand how a taxi inside the airport can be safer than a taxi outside the airport.

Once I arrived at Lima airport and walk into the arrivals hall, there's a bunch of people offering taxi service.
Anyone can enter the airport with his private car, park it in the parking lot in front of the terminal and start offering taxi service to people arriving.

When you walk towards the exit of the airport over the parking lot in order to get a taxi or bus outside the airport, you also always get approached by those so called 'safe' taxi drivers. OK, they are better dressed and have newer cars but are they really safe???

I think the only 'really' safe taxi companies are the ones that have a desk at the airport where you can book a taxi.

Still, we always use the bus and only take a taxi after buying to much stuff to carry at MAKRO or late at night when there are no more busses. But we only use TICOS driven by old men. They are generally the cheapest and most honest ones.


Um.....you're NOT serious are you? With all of your luggage and belongings you're going to trust some random taxi on the street to take you to the airport or give you a ride from the airport to your home?!! Does this not make sense to anyone else?

Did anyone hear recently of an Australian tourist who took a taxi from the airport (outside the gates) and was raped and robed and left for dead? I'll look up the article. This should really make us all more cautious and savvy, it's about personal safety not just paying less. I agree with others who would rather pay 30-40 soles and go with a taxi driver who is registered, can show me his permit, and can be tracked down if something happens to me while in his taxi! (btw, these are the taxis that are IN the airport bothering us as we try to exit with all our baggage!). I've used them and recommended them to all of my friends who have arrived when I've not been able to meet them myself, and we've never had any problems in three years.

Just my two cents worth....in this country it is better to be smart and safe rather than save a few soles...


I have countless tales of how people get robbed by those black taxi drivers. Often they collaborate with people outside and get stopped by several cars, and then you will get robbed at gun point. I am sorry, I rarely hear about people getting robbed taking those cheap taxis outside. And NO, YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT TRACK THE BLACK TAXIS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE POLICE GENERAL PERSONALLY. The police, taxi companies, and criminals all work together! The black taxis are MORE dangerous than the outside ones. The criminals know that people who black taxis usually are tourists who have money, so they target them.

On the fare: From airport to Miraflores/San Isidro or the other way: peak hour: 25, non peak hour: 18-20. This is generally what I would offer to pay.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 pm

These are general recommendations for all of us who take taxis at the street, once in a while

During those precious moments you are dealing with the taxi driver about the price, don't loose the great opportunity to look at the eyes of the driver and listen very well the tones of his voice.

I am not joking, the eyes are the mirror of the soul. A criminal who pretend to steal you usually try to escape your straight look, and even if he is looking at you straight, has some kind of evil gestures that is sending you a sign of cautious

The sound of the voice is also important. Some criminals, specially those from low level education, have a particular style of speaking and accent.

Even if the eyes and tones of voice is sending a green light to get on the taxi, if you have another sign that is telling you don't get into the taxi, just don't do it. I mean intiution..
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby roddd » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:16 pm

i always use taxi green they normally charge me about 20 dollars
to go from the airport to Miraflores might seem expensive
but after having just spent around 900 pounds to fly from London
i find its a bargain :D
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 pm
Location: Lima

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby musiclover » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Thank you rodd, it is usually the Taxi Green that I use from the airport, the driver's wear green ties and have id with the same company. The cars are black which had me confused with what the previous poster, Peace 009, was suggesting. Well, each of us has to decide what is best in the end. I have a taxi green driver who has been very good for me, and my friends who have visited. He arrives on time and has been trustworthy. The cost was s/40 it may have gone up in the last several months, though, along with almost everything else!
el conquistador

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Peace2009 wrote:I have countless tales of how people get robbed by those black taxi drivers. Often they collaborate with people outside and get stopped by several cars, and then you will get robbed at gun point. I am sorry, I rarely hear about people getting robbed taking those cheap taxis outside. And NO, YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT TRACK THE BLACK TAXIS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE POLICE GENERAL PERSONALLY. The police, taxi companies, and criminals all work together! The black taxis are MORE dangerous than the outside ones. The criminals know that people who black taxis usually are tourists who have money, so they target them.

On the fare: From airport to Miraflores/San Isidro or the other way: peak hour: 25, non peak hour: 18-20. This is generally what I would offer to pay.


It a fact that those black taxi's that leave the airport often get robbed at traffic lights or get followed once they leave the airport because criminals know that people who use those taxi's 'have money' and are mostly tourists.
Those street taxis rarely get robbed because criminals know that people who use the taxi's outside the airport aren't rich because they don't have the money to take those expensive airport taxis.

Often I travel with handluggage only or go picking up friends at the airport and then I take the bus to the airport. It's safe and cheap. For less than 2 soles, you can go to anywhere in Lima from the airport.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby falconagain » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Actually the government should educate cab drivers giving them access
to a table that allows them to calculate how much would be the minimum
required to pay. Anything below 30 soles (Airport to Miraflores) is not
feasible, the driver is losing money at that point. If people would
like the so called added security or like the brand of Taxi Seguro
they can pay their 50 soles. (As far as I know they are a good
company). There is no point in looking for a bargains that does
not exist.

For reference one can look at:
http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world- ... ig-cities/
to see that the real price is very different no matter where you are.
el conquistador

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:12 pm

falconagain wrote:Anything below 30 soles (Airport to Miraflores) is not
feasible, the driver is losing money at that point.


I often took a taxi from Barranco to San Miguel. About the same distance as Airport to Miraflores and paid around 12 soles. OK, it was a worn out TICO with a gas tank.
User avatar
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 am
Location: Arequipa
Contact:

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby jimuazu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm

There are too many pushy people in the airport to make a clear judgement. I was supposed to be met the first time I arrived in Peru, but he didn't turn up, so I had to find a taxi myself, completely unprepared. Some guy outside with lots of impressive but meaningless ID recommended a taxista, and my intuition told me to take the chance. The taxista knew I was nervous and taking a risk, but he got me there. On the way through the airport on the way back, the same guy came up to me again, this time with a suit on (he must have had some success). He tried to sell me a flight or something, and I said, "Aren't you the guy who got me that taxi?", and he started looking really nervous and hurried off. Guilty conscience?

A tip I had from other tourists: Wait for a taxi to arrive dropping off other tourists at the airport. If the tourists are thanking him and acting friendly towards him, you've found your taxi out!

I've caught the bus outside the airport at night once with a backpack. If you don't stop moving and you act confident, the thieves don't get a window of opportunity -- that was my idea at least. The Lima Taxi Map (two-sided A3 fan-fold map) sold in the airport helps a lot. Everyone else on the bus was nervous for me wandering around in Lima at night, though, when they knew where I was trying to get to (Chosica). I did already know the routes (more or less). Not many other options to get to Chosica, though. I feel safer in a bus than a taxi anyway.

Arriving at the airport is always going to be easier than leaving. Definitely, I've never had any problem being dropped off in the street outside, so long as you know which entrance to head towards (the pedestrian entrance on the right), keep your eyes open and don't dither around. The tip about old guys in yellow cabs is worth remembering -- thanks for that.
Image
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 am

The guy may well have dissappeared when you recognized him because no one who is trying to sell you something (tours, help, candies etc) is allowed in the airport, they need to be on the other side of the road out front. I think you got lucky because this guy may well have been an illegal estafadore, especially since he feared to see you again.

Only some taxi enterprises are allowed in the airport, hence they flash their ID and that is why so many without permission stand on the other side of the road and yell at you.... but of course they cheat and creep up and/or stand outside the door... sometimes a cop comes and blows the whistle at them and they back off to the other side of the road... until he wanders off and they creep in again...

There is a well dressed lady who ignores the law and asks nicely asks if she can "help" you inside at international arrivals... then she mentions her tour agency... I had a dispute with her once telling her she has no permission to be in the airport, she got mad at me, didn't like a gringo telling her what to do in the airport, I called a police over, she said just trying to help the tourist she said, he said there is a help desk over there for that, he finally took her away to check her credencials.

My theory is never take a taxi from the airport from a taxista waiting there, some waiting there have a plan to rob tourists, some not, but impossible for me to tell which. I agree with above, always better to grab an arriving taxi who is dropping someone off (anyone not just a gringo), they trusted him and he probably doesn't have a plan. Thinking about it, someone dropping off a gringo who thanks him effusely may not be my first choice because some gringos are suckers, some are not, but impossible for me to tell which.
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby Peace2009 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 pm

el conquistador wrote:
falconagain wrote:Anything below 30 soles (Airport to Miraflores) is not
feasible, the driver is losing money at that point.


I often took a taxi from Barranco to San Miguel. About the same distance as Airport to Miraflores and paid around 12 soles. OK, it was a worn out TICO with a gas tank.



12 soles is a bit steep price. I pay 12 soles going from Magdalena to Surco. From Barranco to San Miguel I think 8-10 soles should be right.
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby Peace2009 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:09 pm

falconagain wrote:Actually the government should educate cab drivers giving them access
to a table that allows them to calculate how much would be the minimum
required to pay. Anything below 30 soles (Airport to Miraflores) is not
feasible, the driver is losing money at that point.
If people would
like the so called added security or like the brand of Taxi Seguro
they can pay their 50 soles. (As far as I know they are a good
company). There is no point in looking for a bargains that does
not exist.

For reference one can look at:
http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world- ... ig-cities/
to see that the real price is very different no matter where you are.


This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Most taxi drivers here use GNV gas which now cost around S/. 0,88 cents per cubic meter. Other taxis that use gasoline are usually compacts that gets around 25 miles (40 km) per gallon in the city. Going from Miraflores to the Airport will cost no more than a half a gallon of gasoline (6-7 soles). I have ALWAYS paid between 25 soles from Miraflores to the Airport unless I want to look like a idiot and write a sign on my forehead saying "I am a foreigner, please rob me".
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:52 am

Around 7 or more years ago, most taxi drivers wanted to have a diesel car because it was cheaper than the gasoline option. With the uses of GLP (LPG) liquid petroleum gas and later the uses of GNV (gas natural vehicular) Now most taxi drivers want to use the latter because it is the most economical way.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby falconagain » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Peace2009 wrote:
falconagain wrote:Actually the government should educate cab drivers giving them access
to a table that allows them to calculate how much would be the minimum
required to pay. Anything below 30 soles (Airport to Miraflores) is not
feasible, the driver is losing money at that point.
If people would
like the so called added security or like the brand of Taxi Seguro
they can pay their 50 soles. (As far as I know they are a good
company). There is no point in looking for a bargains that does
not exist.

For reference one can look at:
http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world- ... ig-cities/
to see that the real price is very different no matter where you are.


This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Most taxi drivers here use GNV gas which now cost around S/. 0,88 cents per cubic meter. Other taxis that use gasoline are usually compacts that gets around 25 miles (40 km) per gallon in the city. Going from Miraflores to the Airport will cost no more than a half a gallon of gasoline (6-7 soles). I have ALWAYS paid between 25 soles from Miraflores to the Airport unless I want to look like a idiot and write a sign on my forehead saying "I am a foreigner, please rob me".



Not all Taxi drivers here use GNV gas yet, even then the cost of S/. 0,88 cents per cubic meter is not taking
in account the initial investment for the conversion of the vehicle and for that the taxi owner or driver
usually pays in cash or takes a loan, the conversion also has downsides on the engine which shorten the
life of the vehicle which is another cost that needs to taken into account, actually the government should
start taxing drivers or add a tax because now we have landfills full of engines killed by the use of GNV.

Anyway what I proposed is that they do the calculation taking all factors in the account, including
inflation, there is no need to get scared because you are being charged a fair price for a ride
anywhere.
el conquistador

Re: How to take a cheap taxi TO the airport?

Postby el conquistador » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 pm

teamoperu wrote:The guy may well have dissappeared when you recognized him because no one who is trying to sell you something (tours, help, candies etc) is allowed in the airport, they need to be on the other side of the road out front. I think you got lucky because this guy may well have been an illegal estafadore, especially since he feared to see you again.

Only some taxi enterprises are allowed in the airport, hence they flash their ID and that is why so many without permission stand on the other side of the road and yell at you.... but of course they cheat and creep up and/or stand outside the door... sometimes a cop comes and blows the whistle at them and they back off to the other side of the road... until he wanders off and they creep in again...

There is a well dressed lady who ignores the law and asks nicely asks if she can "help" you inside at international arrivals... then she mentions her tour agency... I had a dispute with her once telling her she has no permission to be in the airport, she got mad at me, didn't like a gringo telling her what to do in the airport, I called a police over, she said just trying to help the tourist she said, he said there is a help desk over there for that, he finally took her away to check her credencials.

My theory is never take a taxi from the airport from a taxista waiting there, some waiting there have a plan to rob tourists, some not, but impossible for me to tell which. I agree with above, always better to grab an arriving taxi who is dropping someone off (anyone not just a gringo), they trusted him and he probably doesn't have a plan. Thinking about it, someone dropping off a gringo who thanks him effusely may not be my first choice because some gringos are suckers, some are not, but impossible for me to tell which.


Sounds like there's no difference in safety level between the taxis inside and outside the airport. Criminals are operating at both sides.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register